Mr. Robot Spoilers/Reaction Thread

Comments

• @davidjacobs I agree completely, there's so much to like about this show that picking at it to try and find flaws in the logistics feels like a waste of time. I enjoyed the shit out of this season and can't wait for what's next. 
    Elisa
  • Did Tyrell make the fsociety videos after/during Elliot's time lapse? It didn't sound like Elliot and it would be weird for him to use a mantra like that.
    Elisahistoricstork
  • Not to spam this thread but holy shit that's a coincidence:

Sam Esmail: It's strange. And just to speak to the specific Ashley Madison line. That was originally in the script. If you remember from the pilot, that's one of the things Elliot hacked about him, and one of the things Elliot used to manipulate him. When I wrote that in the season finale, I went, "Well, I'm kind of overdoing this," referencing Ashley Madison. I wound up cutting it before we were shooting it. And then literally, the news happened again. This is too much. It's almost as if the world wanted me to keep the scene as intended. It was actually purely a plot point. It wasn't that Elliot had released that information, but that these other hackers who hacked Ashley Madison did it, and that's why Lenny was at this desperate point of his life. The whole thing about our show continually having things as a mirror reality, I can only say that it's strange.
    Elisa
  • Finale, great. This is my favorite tv show in awhile, maybe since Breaking Bad. I'm sure there are flaws, but the show is so good, I don't even recognize them. 

Put this theory in ice for a few years. The whole thing is a fantasy taking place in his head as he sits in the funeral for his father. 
    If that's true that would be awfully disappointing

• My only problem is now that the revolution is taking place........now what? What major event or reveal does the audience have to look forward to, other than who's knocking on Elliot's door? Part of me would have liked another season of buildup before the hack/revolution took place.
  • The significance of the gun in the popcorn machine was never explained. I suppose you could infer Elliot shot Tyrell with it, but right now, it looks like some bullshit red herring. Damn you ESMAIL!!!!!!!!!!
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Lots to explore in S2. Where and who is tyrell? I also thought he was behind the mask in the f society commercial. You had your revolution occupy NYC now what? The calmness of the E Corp bigwig and the fact revealed that he is in bed with the dark army dude probably means Elliot was played. Awesome show and finale.

• mike_kmike_k Sunnyvale CA
    @adobo1148 im w you about them shooting their load early, but I read somewhere that Sam Esmail has the story arc predetermined and that he knows where he's going. I was skeptical early on w this show given all the Fight Club plagiarism, but I'm glad they got it out of the way now, so they can focus on the what happens now that this happened. It will be interesting to see what this society devolves into when the market goes to shit...

There's plenty to pivot from... That millionaire club scene at the end was a clear indication that Dark Army and E Corp have some correlation... Where is Tyrell? Who was at the door at Elliot's apartment? Damn I wish there was a BM podcast for this!

Also, they 'encrypted' the data on the servers??? I hope that's not such an obvious plot point to say that the data can be unencrypted at some point in the future... That would be kinda lame.

Great show, can't wait for next year!
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:

My only problem is now that the revolution is taking place........now what? What major event or reveal does the audience have to look forward to, other than who's knocking on Elliot's door? Part of me would have liked another season of buildup before the hack/revolution took place.

Did you watch the post-credits scene? If not do that right now. It looks like we're going way down the rabbit-hole in season 2 ... clearly Evil-Corp & the Dark Army are not what they seem.

Esmail originally wrote this as a movie, and apparently the S1 plot was only he first act. So I'm confident there is a lot more good story to tell.
    Elisamike_k
  • Originally conceived as a movie, this season was equivalent to about the first 30min of what would have been the movie. This is just the setup and there's a lot more to come. I'm ok with all the questions left. Think this show certainly deserves a full podcast. 
    Elisa
  • Elisa said:

Lots to explore in S2. Where and who is tyrell? I also thought he was behind the mask in the f society commercial. You had your revolution occupy NYC now what? The calmness of the E Corp bigwig and the fact revealed that he is in bed with the dark army dude probably means Elliot was played. Awesome show and finale.

Right! If E Corp is in with the Dark Army, maybe the revolution isn't all it appears to be, which is why the E corp ceo is so calm. I think there is plenty of juice left for season 2
    Elisa
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited September 2015
    Anyone yet know if season 2 is green lit? God, i hope, so much more story can be told! So many questions still!!

I loved the reveal of B.D. Wong in the final after credits scene, is he a double agent, a triple agent...? No ones agent? Time will tell :)

The only thing that fell flat for me this episode was the CEO of Evil corp committing suicide on air. Heads of huge companies would just not omit defeat, no matter how desperate the situation, it's not in their DNA. You have to be a very specific type of megalomaniac to make it THAT far in that type of company. Any people perceived of having that kind of "weakness" (cant put enogh quotes around that) would have been weeded out.  It would have been far more believable if he pulled some bullshit line out of his ass to respond to the question, then later, went into the bathroom, and killed himself. That, I would have believed. They do a good job with beliveability on this show, but that didnt feel right. 
  • I imagine SO much more is to come!

Revolutions are the beginnings of things, not the ends of things. Think of all the revolutions that have happened throughout history - governmental, economic, religious.

The revolution is the easy part - the hard part is when all the dust settles and the party is over and you have to start rebuilding. And, well, again, if you look to history, it's never simple or perfect or easy. If this show keeps on track with believability, we are about to step in WAY more murkier waters.

Elisa
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited September 2015
    @aberry89 USA picked up season 2 before the pilot aired. This is the most attention they've gotten since I can remember and they don't seem to be fucking around with it. 
    Elisaaberry89
  • My one thought about what would really happen in this sort of situation while watching was that if this really went down, and all debt was erased, wouldn't the poor be hurt worse than the rich? At that point it would be about who had the most material things such as land, shelter, weapons, vehicles, etc. Rich people have way more debt than poor people overall, they just have way more to show, materially, for their debt also.

It's not like life would just go on and everyone would get a clean slate, debt free...

Elisa
  • @aberry89

I think the guy who killed himself was the VP of Technology.. At least I think that is what it said. I always took the guy with the beard (who gave money to Angela to get new shoes) as being the CEO. He is a total sociopath. He has the charisma and seems kind, but would throw somebody in front of a moving train a la Frank Underwood if means advancing his agenda. He shows no sign of giving up and pretty much says so in speech to Angela.

I fricken love this show btw. If for nothing else, the lack of title sequence. The way the show title is just plastered on a specific camera shot is straight up. It pretty much takes a shit on some contrived title sequence. Also, the music in this show is awesome. Sometimes I don't like how they play it over the dialogue, but still its awesome.
    Elisa
  • My one thought about what would really happen in this sort of situation while watching was that if this really went down, and all debt was erased, wouldn't the poor be hurt worse than the rich? At that point it would be about who had the most material things such as land, shelter, weapons, vehicles, etc. Rich people have way more debt than poor people overall, they just have way more to show, materially, for their debt also.

It's not like life would just go on and everyone would get a clean slate, debt free...

Could very well be true ... perhaps that is why the Evil-Corp CEO seems to be involved w/ White Rose / the Dark Army.
  • Yes, often very wealthy people have HUGE amounts of debt - so the plan is a bit flawed is they only want to help the poor or students. I don't have debt - but I still struggle with money, I simply live within my means. This wouldn't have helped me at all! :) But i don't have a family to provide for, etc, etc, so I am not the best example. 

Rich people that blow through money have debt, moderately wealthy people that live way outside thier means have debt, students have debt, people that are just careless with their money have debt... I do think this perhaps ill planned idea to erase debt is in keeping with the group that is obviously being mirrored in the show, Anonymous. They sort do these flash bang hacks that sort of just mix up cards - but there is not a whole lot of long term thought put in it. Kinda of the thing that annoys me about the group Anonymous. Their intentions may be good, and who doesn't love a bit of Robin Hood esque antics.... but it's whole lot easier to just do these one off hacks, lot harder to sit down in board meetings and make long term solutions...
  • No show title sequence! YES! It's always been a huge annoyance to me with tv shows - openings that go on and on. I cant belive I hadn't even realized there isn't one in this show! 

• AManIsNoOneAManIsNoOne Greensboro, NC
    It seems that everybody's first assumption is that Evil Corp is working with the Dark Army. My first assumption was that White Rose is a Batman/Bruce Wayne type billionaire. Obviously doesn't wear a batsuit and fight crime, but he does wear a costume and delivers vigilante justice. Thoughts?
    ElisaKingKobra
  • AManIsNoOneAManIsNoOne Greensboro, NC
    ^Saying that to say the CEO is oblivious to "White Rose"
  • I got the impression that erasing debt was as much to hurt the banks and fight their influence over society as it was to help people out. I also don't think Elliot is against helping people just because they're rich, being a slave to money and being at the mercy of giant banks and corporations is the problem.

@AManIsNoOne I really hope he does wear a Batsuit and fight crime.

We obviously don't know too much about White Rose, but I have a feeling the version who met Elliot is closer to his true self than the one in the post credits sequence.
    AManIsNoOneElisa
  • @AManIsNoOne I thought that him showing up as a man, not in drag, may have been to indicate something along those lines...
    ElisaKingKobra
    What if the Evil Corp CEO knew this was coming and took measures to secure the companies most valuable assets from being targeted and put in a hedge plan (e.g. Shorting the DOW) that ends up being a huge win. Then he turns around and throws a bunch of money at the market and Dark Army unencrypts the China backup... Stock returns to its original price (or somewhere close) and Evil Corp is more powerful than ever.....
  • @mike_k Given how early in the planned plot we are I could definitely see something like that happening. I'm blanking, did we find out why the Dark Army bailed on the first attempt at the hack?
    @bizmarkiefader - they said it was because of the Honey Pot that Elliot didn't know existed. They never had intention of doing it the first time through
  • Oh, right, duh.
  • MrX said:

adobo1148 said:

My only problem is now that the revolution is taking place........now what? What major event or reveal does the audience have to look forward to, other than who's knocking on Elliot's door? Part of me would have liked another season of buildup before the hack/revolution took place.

Did you watch the post-credits scene? If not do that right now. It looks like we're going way down the rabbit-hole in season 2 ... clearly Evil-Corp & the Dark Army are not what they seem.

Esmail originally wrote this as a movie, and apparently the S1 plot was only he first act. So I'm confident there is a lot more good story to tell.
    I did watch the post credits scene, when has a TV show ever had the balls to pull that kind teaserism. It had occurred to me the dark army and Evil corps being connected, my theory is that the dark army never destroyed the backups in China, and all the records of everyone's debit is still in I Evil corps control. Whiterose never answered Elliot's question of why the Dark army was working with F society.

Elisa
  • mike_k said:

What if the Evil Corp CEO knew this was coming and took measures to secure the companies most valuable assets from being targeted and put in a hedge plan (e.g. Shorting the DOW) that ends up being a huge win. Then he turns around and throws a bunch of money at the market and Dark Army unencrypts the China backup... Stock returns to its original price (or somewhere close) and Evil Corp is more powerful than ever.....

I like that theory brah!!!!!
  • mike_k said:

@bizmarkiefader - they said it was because of the Honey Pot that Elliot didn't know existed. They never had intention of doing it the first time through

so it's safe to assume the honeypot was in place the moment Elliot abruptly Gideon's dinner party and Gideon is in his office later calling the Dulles server farm and of course, Elliot would have never known that cause he's was too bust getting over morphine withdrawal and taking down Steel mountain.
    Elisa