Narcos on Netflix

Anyone watch yet? I just saw the pilot episode and really enjoyed it. It's got a documentary/goodfellas feel. All the characters are charismatic and episode 1 left me wanting to watch episode 2 immediately. Too bad I have to wait to watch more.
ElisaAmbitiousBukky

Comments

• I've heard very good things and want to check it out, but I still have to catch up on The Leftovers and Mr. Robot first.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Just starting the third episode. I see they got Pedro Pascal aka Oberyn Martell GOT in there. I don't know who the star guy is. I remember the drug wars from the late eighties, it always seemed like a downer. The show seems pretty solid. Have to see where it goes it looks like it is gonna get more heavy as it goes on. I always think of That cheesy Mami Vice show when I think of coke movies.
    Elisasteph_b
  • I stayed up and watched 4 in a row last night.
    Elisahypergenesb
  • dan2988dan2988 manchester uk
    This is like breaking bad meets goodfellas meets scarface! With alot of cinematographycinematography you don't normally see on tv and great performances. I can already tell this is gonna be one of the best shows this year!
    Elisasteph_b
  • I'm not interested in the story so I'll pass.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I've only seen the first 2 but really love it so far. I don't agree with any of the reviews so far that I've read, the main guy is pretty good and I like the voice over, can't wait to see more Pedro, the dude playing Pablo is great!

I knew the name Pablo Escobar, but until this show I never really new anything about him other than he sold drugs. This show is actually pretty damn terrifying. Woke up from a cartel nightmare last night, can't say any other show has given me nightmares.
    Elisasteph_b
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Narcos drinking game: Infuse a bottle of bourbon with 3 grams of cocaine and take a shot every time the narrator says "and just like that".
    steph_b
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I I was gunna pass on this show just because I am kinda burnt out on the whole, seedy underworld fellas with the hearts of gold, yada yada yada (plus that Netflix promo on their homepage was just hilarious, wtf, SUPER SERIOUS DRUGS AND STUFF)

Buuuutt, jeses, reviews seem to be really positive...and I do love me some Pedro Pascal
    steph_bFlashGordon
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    You mention Goodfellas, does the show have some style. I am really not in the mood for some drab, dark depression drug underworld show...

steph_b
  • Seen the first two episodes now and I like it a lot. 

Breaking Bad watchers, help me out here.

Is Pablo Escobar the guy that Hank talked to Walt Jr. about, telling him that the real hero was the DEA agent who caught him? Am I remembering that right?
    Elisa
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    @ryanfoster ; That was who they were talking about. He's sort of the go to guy for drug lord references the way Hitler is for dictators.

From the Breaking Bad Wiki:

Walt returns to the waiting room with toiletries and blankets, and hands his son a book. Walter White Jr. explains that Hank gave him the book. It's about the agents who investigated the Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar. "Good guys never get ink like the bad guys do," says Walter Jr., quoting Hank.
    kingbee67ryanfoster
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oh man, this thread has me really excited.
    Elisasteph_bAmbitiousBukky
    @aberry89 yeah it has plenty of style and at times has a surprisingly upbeat tone considering the subject matter! It has that kind of fun thing that goodfellas and breaking bad had but still makes you take the subject matter seriously when the really grim stuff is happening
    steph_bElisaryanfoster
    The mention of Hank talking about Pablo Escobar and the agents that caught him got me thinking of the similarities between Escobar's story and bb. burying money to hide it and placing tracking devices on drug ingredient barrelsbarrels are the ones I can remember. Maybe the villigan is a fan of the Escobar story?

I love the mix of really life pictures thrown in as well which really gives it a documentary feel.
    steph_bElisaryanfoster
    @aberry89 you also mentioned the gangater has a heart of gold thing but I don't think it applies here. Escobar is never depicted as a good guy doing it for good reasons. It sometimes references his poor upbringing and how that shaped him but we also see how he used that to manipulate the public.

I enjoyed watching him at the start but ive just finished episode 6 and I absolutely hate the guy
    Elisa
  • That Col Carillo is one tough motherfucker. I really am loving these characters.

My only beef is the female characters but that's nothing new in TV land
    Elisa
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Yeah it's pretty damn great TV. Really reminds me of the excellent Australian Underbelly series; same format (real life crime stories) and equally enticing.
    Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Up to episode 5, damn Escobar was fucking evil. This show is really good, glad I saw the trailer the day before it came out.
    Elisa
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Best line of the series so far:

"What? Did you get a hooker pregnant?"
    kingbee67
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited September 2015
    It's weird - they discussed this on the Hollywood Prospectus podcast at length, and said how much they liked it. They conceded it was good not great, but nothing about the description enticed me. Lots of narration and exposition and subject matter that seems well covered already. Might check it out though. I always think I've had enough of mob/gangster stories (same goes for vampires), and then something comes along to grab my interest. I actually don't like Goodfellas, but I had no interest in the Sopranos when it came out at first and it's probably my favorite thing in the genre.
    DaveyMac
  • Man this is the first show in a while that I just motored through.  Finished it in a day and a half while at work.
    Good but not great would be my description of the show four episodes in.  I think I would like it a great deal more had I not have read "Killing Pablo" and seen at least two documentaries on the subject.  The more unfamiliar with the subject you are, the more mind blowing it would probably be.
    hypergenesbsteph_b
  • I binged watched the entire thing yesterday.  Agree on "good, not great" though I think Wagner Moura as Pablo Escobar is amazing.  I was really into it until it got to the "prison" where I think it stagnated quite a bit.  Definitely looking forward to season 2.
    Elisa
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @Jim Oh man, I'm on the other side of that one. I think the prison was one of the coolest parts of the series. I especially loved the scene showing Escobar's morning routine.
    I'm through to episode nine, and it's so weird I'm having the opposite reaction to Jim. As the series goes on, I find myself getting more and more invested in Wagner Moura's Pablo.  He's just incredible.  I think he's probably better at being Pablo Escobar than the real life Pablo Escobar. 
    steph_b
  • I thought the most fascinating part of it all was how one man, with near-unlimited resources, could bend an entire country over the barrel the way he did and have them crumble under the pressure.  Once he went to prison that part of the show was over so I lost some of my interest.  Now that he's out, I'm really eager to see season 2 though.

Surely there can only be 2 seasons of this show, right?
    A_Ron_Hubbardsteph_b
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited September 2015
    I was starting to burn out around the prison part. I had been on the Narco bender all day. At one point I thought about watching one of the movies on Escobar after the season ended. But after I was done with episode 10 I didn't want to see anymore drug dealer movies or shows. Still feeling that way maybe I'll be up for it when that Johnny Dep movie comes out. The one about the guy from the Departed.
  • MihaiMihai Timisoara, RO
    Jim said:

Surely there can only be 2 seasons of this show, right?

Well it looks to me like they've set the stage for "the future" (another 2-3 seasons) with the introduction of the Cali Cartel in ep.7. I kept pausing the show and wikipedia'd the subject matter, and right after Escobar and the downfall of Medellin the Cali Cartel takes over as lords for a few years.

They even mentioned that _that guy_ is one of the four leaders of Cali. We've yet to meet the other 3.
  • Season 4: Pablo moves to Los Angeles and starts dealing directly with American gangsters. He struggles to understand rap music and low riders and is moved when he sees the destruction crack cocaine has brought to poor American communities. Is Pablo a changed man or still the violent kingpin we love to hate?
    JimFreddyryanfoster
  • Season 5: Wise King Pablo settles a turf war for domestic phone records between the CIA and the NSA by handing it all over to Google and Apple.  Unfortunately for him, everyone remains one step behind the teens who refuse to use anything but WhatsApp.
    ryanfoster