Goofy and Pluto - How does that work?

Does anyone else have trouble reconciling the simultaneous existence of Goofy and Pluto? I can see, particularly in a world where animals are more or less people having Goofy, and in sort of "there was a dog on Sesame Street" kind of way I can see Mickey having a dog, but both of them existing together makes my head hurt.

Comments

• In reading this and thinking about it I see that this is dumb, and I was going to delete it, but I don't see a way to do so. Not every funny conversation at work makes for an amusing discussion topic. Lesson learned.
  • I think the difference lies in the abilities of the dog. From the Pluto wikipedia article:
    Unlike Mickey's other animal friends, such as Goofy (who is also a dog), Pluto is not a "funny animal". Pluto does not speak, walk upright, or wear clothing, but rather acts like a normal (if exaggerated) dog.
    That's why Pluto gets no respect and Goofy is treated as a person.
  • JohnnieDarkJohnnieDark South Florida
    so there's a caste system withing the animals?
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Goofy reminds me of Jar Jar Binks lol. I always liked Pluto. He's more real. :wink:
  • Cheers to that!

Also, I did, in my mind have to walk this back a bit though when I started thinking about Labyrinth where Sir Didamus (spelling) had his dog steed (Ambrusius?). A set up that I actually enjoyed very much.
  • They look the same if you are flyin high
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I don't know if it's a caste system, per se. For example, we are primates (homo sapiens represent!), and yet I could still have a pet monkey.
  • I hadn't thought about it in that respect of being similar but ultimately a different species. I can get behind that context.
    Still, Goofy can suck it!