MLB 2018

Comments

• Hatorian said:
    Need some advice on a fantasy trade. 

I give up Stephen Strasburg. 

I get Happ, Schwarber and Ryu.

It’s a keeper league so only will have Strasburg for one year unless I give up a first round pick for him next year while Happ would be s 16th round pick.

Ryu has actually outperformed Strasburg to this point but Strasburg was 3rd in Cy Young last year. So most likely Strasburg will eventually outperform Ryu. Strasburg is also my best pitcher. 

I do have 2 slots to put in Happ and Swarber given a few of my players are under performing but I also have Boegarts, Eaton and Acuna on the bench waiting for them to return from injury or get called up. 

What would you do?

Think it depends on who else is on your team (in terms of keepers), where you need help, what categories are part of your league, etc.  It also depends on if you think Schwarber is really going to bounce back and have a solid offensive year.  To me, it comes down to Strasburg vs. Schwarber and if either of those are a keeper to you.  Happ I don't really trust and can't say I've really paid attention to what Ryu does.
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Got my ring last year. Have a buddy who is a jeweller so he was making perfect replicas that we’re going for like 10k at Josten’s for $200.

cdriveNoelTravis
  • Ok I'm officially very excited about this Red Sox team! In two games they've outscored the Angels 19-1 ... and the Angels are one of the top offenses in MLB. Mookie Betts is on fire so far!
    TravisChinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dear Red Sox,

Thank you for smashing the Angels.

Love,
    Chinaski
    ooxxooXoXXx

p.s. see ya this weekend :)

MrX
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Man, it’s going to be a loooooooong season. Only two positives are 1) Rangers tickets will be very affordable and 2) Somehow the silver boot is in play. I believe!
  • Chinaski said:
    Dear Red Sox,

Thank you for smashing the Angels.

Love,
    Chinaski
    ooxxooXoXXx

p.s. see ya this weekend :)

Don't worry we got plenty of smash left for the A's ... Grand slam baby!!
    cold blooded @MrX.. cold blooded :/
    MrXMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Chinaski said:
    cold blooded @MrX.. cold blooded :/
    Yeah, especially after game 1.  :frowning:
    Sean Manaea!  :grin:
    ChinaskiGiovanni
    edited April 22
    no hits by the best team in MLB’. which means plenty of smashing didn’t happen. on to the next one @MrX. smooches!  :*

edit:

MichelleMrX
    Chinaski said:
    no hits by the best team in MLB’. which means plenty of smashing didn’t happen. on to to the next one @MrX. smooches!  :*
    Shots fired!  :grin:
    ChinaskiMrX
  • Chinaski said:
    no hits by the best team in MLB’. which means plenty of smashing didn’t happen. on to to the next one @MrX. smooches!  :*
    touché @Chinaski, touché
    Chinaski
  • The only mlb playoff game I've been to was game 4 of the 2003 ALDS Sox v A's @ Fenway Park, such a cool experience. I loved those early 00's "Moneyball" Sox & A's matchups, some great games and fun teams on both sides over the years.

Looking forward to the rubber-game tomorrow!
    Chinaski
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    As a Mariners fan,  I guess I am now a BoSox and Astros fan as we need y'all to wreck all our competition to the maximum extent.

Weird season with half the teams tanking on purpose and several others ducking under the luxury tax limit.

My internal dilemma-- does losing the wildcard game on the road really constitute breaking the 16 year playoff drought? 
    Ajas said:
    My internal dilemma-- does losing the wildcard game on the road really constitute breaking the 16 year playoff drought? 
    dang, it's been that long since the Mariners won those impressive 116 games and blew it to the Yankees? A's won 102 games that year and still finished 14 games back in the AL West haha.
    MrX said:
    Sox lose as many games in 3 days as they had all season prior. Great series!

Related image
    Michelle
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Yeah I think nobody in Seattle actually wants that win record, and I think it'll get broken this year. As of yesterday there were 5 teams on pace for 110+ wins.

When M's fans think back to the "good ol days" it's 1995, not 2001.
  • Chinaski said:
    MrX said:
    Sox lose as many games in 3 days as they had all season prior. Great series!

Related image

Not a great weekend for Boston; Celts, Bruins, Sox all come up empty. *Sad trombone*
    ChinaskiMichelle
    Ajas said:
    Yeah I think nobody in Seattle actually wants that win record, and I think it'll get broken this year. As of yesterday there were 5 teams on pace for 110+ wins.

The Mariners in Ken Griffey Jr Baseball for the SNES were my jam! man, that game was so good! i actually cut school with my bestfriend to manually input all the players names.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 23
    Chinaski said:
    Ajas said:

The Mariners in Ken Griffey Jr Baseball for the SNES were my jam! man, that game was so good! i actually cut school with my bestfriend to manually input all the players names.
    Brings me back ... Pretty much every kid was a Griffey Jr. fan in the mid-90s, even I had a fitted Seattle hat despite being a Red Sox fan living in New England.

Griffey Jr. was such a huge icon it's kindof hard to fathom in today's mlb - it was on par with Jordan levels of fandom at the peak.
    Chinaski
  • Wow, Brandon Belt with a 21 pitch at bat yesterday.  Never know what you will see when flipping on a game.

https://www.mlb.com/news/brandon-belt-has-historic-21-pitch-at-bat/c-273402646

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Michelle @Chinaski what are y’all doing to my Stros!!!??!!?!
    Michelle
    cdrive said:
    I think it's called 'kickin' y'alls asses'.  :grin: :kissing_heart:
    cdrive
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Two questions for Bald Move baseball fans...

1. At the end of his career, will Yadier Molina be worthy of the Hall of Fame?

2. Will Yadier Molina be voted into the Hall of Fame?

My answers are: yes & I don't know. Yadier Molina is (arguably) the best defensive catcher ever (or at least, top 2 or 3), and catcher is (arguably) the most important defensive position. This (in my view) makes him worthy of the Hall of Fame.

That said, I know that a lot of HoF voters rely on old school offensive metrics (hits, RBIs, home runs, etc.), and a number of new voters rely on WAR (even though everyone admits that it's not great at measuring the value of the defense of a catcher).

Whar do you guys think?
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 28
    As a Cubs fan. If Yadeir doesn’t get in its a travesty. He’s been one of the biggest contributors and single constants over the past decade+ where they have been competitive, made the playoffs and won it all. Obviously stats are important but his leadership and ability to manage a pitching staff is second to none. 

dude deserves to be in. Even though I can’t stand him. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • Yes and yes.  I think the WS rings will help a ton with voters and the Cardinals continuously developing pitchers will help the narrative of him doing things on and off the field
    JoshuaHeter
  • 1) Maybe

2) Probably not. 

There is only 15 catchers in the hall, and I have a hard time convincing myself he's better than more than one or two. If you're just looking at WAR (and I know you mentioned it's not perfect at measuring defense) he's pretty far behind the average hall of fame catcher. Posada had 42 WAR and 4/or 5 rings and dropped off the ballet on his first round. Yadier only has 35 WAR in comparison. He's just never had a great offensive peak to go with the defense. He's great no doubt, but when comparing him to guys like Piazza, or Pudge he falls quite a bit short. 

I wouldn't be upset if he got in though. I think you could make a case for alot of guys to make it that don't get in. Posada for example could be a HOF catcher imo, but the voters didn't even consider him. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    Looks like we’re returning the favor tonight  :p
    cdrive said:
    Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    Don't get used to it.  :smirk:

cdrive said:
    Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    haha whatevs. at least we took the opener. that saturday was rough!
    Michellecdrive