›

Favorite Shootout Scene

The Django Unchained commissioned podcast mentioned shootouts for a bit and had me thinking it could make for an interesting thread to post your favorite shootout scene. I put this in the movies section but it could be from anything. 

My favorite is still the bank heist shootout from Heat (actual shooting starts @ 4min but the buildup is worthwhile):

There's certainly liberties taken with magically large magazine capacities but for the most part it's still one of the most realistic shootouts I've seen in any movie. Two other very important things make it special to me; one is the fact that it was shot right in downtown Los Angeles instead of some nondescript industrial park or something, and the other is the audio. The gunfire you hear is the actual production audio from firing blanks and really demonstrates how loud those rifles really are in an echo-heavy place like an urban area where the sound bounces off all the buildings. I still have yet to see a shootout scene with audio as chilling and realistic as shown here (I imagine the overwhelming majority are post-production sounds, and/or in more open areas that don't produce the same amplified effect).

I'd also say Black Hawk Down, though almost the whole damn movie is a shootout so it's kinda difficult to single out a scene.

One of my favorites from TV is Strike Back, which does a great job mixing very realistic/well choreographed tactics/movements/communication/etc. with (intentionally) silly '80s action movie-esque action and explosions and whatnot, resulting in highly entertaining grenade-kicking badassery (shooting starts @ 4:25):

What are your favorites?
Traviselgat0

Comments

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Heat is the all-time great honestly. Everything else will pale in comparison.

Public Enemies had quite a few like the one below.

I also hear that the ending of Bonnie & Clyde scared a few folks for life back in the day.

TravisRaiyne
  • Yeah, Heat is definitely one of my favorites. Bonnie & Clyde is super. I've been meaning to watch that again.

One of my favorite shootouts happens at the end of Touch of Evil.

It's not a big shootout, but it's one of the more dramatic ones.

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?" asks Marlene Dietrich watching big fat Orson Welles die.
    Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I should have mentioned the one in Heat, that was a strong one, and really different from the Django and Matrix ones in that it is far more grounded in reality.  

Got to mention the "rumble in the jungle" scene from Predator.  It was a formative experience for me as a kid. There is something so damn cool about these guys essentially clear cutting forest with bullets.
    Travis[Deleted User]
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    In TV I gotta go with the whiteout blizzard shoot out with Lorne, Numbers and Wrench, Colin Hanks and Molly. That was absolutely incredible
    AntManBeeTravisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • One that comes right to mind is the one from Die Hard where Bruce Willis is crawling under the table. Mostly I just like the way the dude says "no more table" with that awesome accent. I'm pretty sure it also served at the set up for Alan Rickman's amazing delivery of "Ho-Ho-Ho, now I have a machine gun."
    TaraC73
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 2015

In TV I gotta go with the whiteout blizzard shoot out with Lorne, Numbers and Wrench, Colin Hanks and Molly. That was absolutely incredible

Great call. That was a really great scene. Totally forgot about it.

Speaking of Colin Hanks, this thread is making me think it's about time to revisit a couple episodes of the Good Guys.

I also totally agree about the consensus pick of Heat. That was amazing.

• I'm a big fan of the shootouts in Hot Fuzz, both in the town centre and the supermarket.
    A_Ron_HubbardDaveyMac
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Both Die Hard and Predator were arguably the best action films of the 80s (way to go John McTiernan).

Any scene from those would work.

Pissed I forgot about the lobby scene in the Matrix, that was a chapter I would constantly skip to on the DVD.

The freeway scene in Matrix Reloaded was also fairly amazing.

And for another classic, the ending to Scarface which has been quoted a million times.

Travisghm3TaraC73
  • @ksa1001 Oh man! I totally forgot that Matrix scene. That one is definitely up there. Amazing shootout.
  • edited June 2015
    Sorry I can't resist, but this is the best shootout scene you'll ever hear described in a song. It's called "O'Malley's Bar". Terrifying.

• All of John Wick
  • When viewing it as it was broadcasting live, the tension during 'One Minute' - Hank v The Brothers had me about to explode.
    DaveyMacsteph_bTravis
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited June 2015
    The Raid and Raid 2 both had a lot of great shootouts mixed into the fighting.

[Deleted User]ksa1001ghm3
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited July 2015
    A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I just thought of a couple more I really like.

I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but I really like the shootout at the end of "Open Range" where tons of shots are fired, but most bullets fail to hit their targets. 

I also like the shootout in the bar in "Inglourious Basterds." The build-up is what makes that one great, though.
  • Two more - same movie

Opening and closing scenes of 'Once Upon a Time in the West'

You brought two too many:

Final shootout

DaveyMacghm3
  • @tom_g Ah yes that's a good one. Speaking of westerns, Unforgiven has an amazing one that the movie builds up to. It's also interlaced with some great dialog. 

"Well sir you are a cowardly son of a bitch; you just shot an unarmed man." 
    "Well he should've armed himself..."
    And of course the iconic "deserve's got nothin' to do with it" line.

The last two clips aren't strictly part of the shootout but to me they're just as important/linked to it. Definitely one of the best anti-heroes ever.

tom_gDaveyMac
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 2015
    What constitutes a shootout versus something else? I mean the first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is the greatest action scene ever and technically its a shoutout between one side and another. But I imagine that would not count in what we're discussing.

If I had to pick a shoutout I would probably go with Toujahlie(sp) from breaking bad. The culmination of 5 seasons and the tense showdown make up for lower amount of "epicness"
  • @Hatorian In my head, I had a shootout as two or more people shooting at each other, but not in a traditional war sense. So I would exclude war films. But that's just what's going on in my head.
  • Just because it's so ridiculously over the top. And because Balki!

ksa1001ghm3
  • ghm3 said:

@tom_g Ah yes that's a good one. Speaking of westerns, Unforgiven has an amazing one that the movie builds up to. It's also interlaced with some great dialog. 

"Well sir you are a cowardly son of a bitch; you just shot an unarmed man." 
    "Well he should've armed himself..."
    And of course the iconic "deserve's got nothin' to do with it" line.

The last two clips aren't strictly part of the shootout but to me they're just as important/linked to it. Definitely one of the best anti-heroes ever.

i was all ready to post unforgiven. i just rewatched it and it is so great. they really dont make movies like that anymore.

ghm3
  • Here are a few of my favorites that I don't see mentioned yet, in no particular order: 

Kickass - Scene in the warehouse (Hit-Girl with night-vision goggles).
    Kingsman: The Secret Service - Scene in the church (Colin Firth kicks ass; you'll forget he ever had a stutter)
    Dredd - Pretty much the entire goddamn movie is packed with action and awesome one-liners (same vein as John Wick, with less dead pets). 
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - The Battle of Helms Deep (Do arrows count as a shootout? One of the most epic battles in cinema history). 
    Boondock Saints - Battle outside the house (Insert Jim's Norman Reedus Impression here)

AntManBeeghm3
  • Boondocks saints! Nice choice for the shootout. Church scene in kingsman definitely is not a shootout. That's more like a a Royal Rumble
  • edited July 2015
    @Hatorian I'd say that war movies are fair game, it's just that the genre of movie a bit focused/specific as they have an obvious war context so I understand those thinking it should be its own thing.

@Toolowbrow Yeah it is, I love how most of the movie is build up to a few fantastic pay off scenes, it makes them work so much better. Sad that that's so uncommon in today's world of nonsensical blurry screechy Michael Bay drivel. Iron Man was a semi-recent great movie that had proper build up.

@EMAW42 Nice picks save for Kingsman, definitely not a shoot out. Man I haven't seen The Boondock Saints in so long, I'm long overdue for a re-watch. 

@MrX Great pull, love that movie. That ending shoot out reminds me a bit of the ending of Enemy of the State, where Will Smith's character leads the NSA to that mobster's restaurant creating perfect confusion and shooty antics ensue: