Mr. Robot is Quite Good

Anyone else catch this? I really did not expect this to be anywhere nearly as good as it is, especially for a show on USA (Suits is the only other show on USA I like).

The main character is generally quite relatable (to me anyway) though certainly suffers from some hyperbole, but to be fair pretty much all TV characters are hyperbolic/caricatures. 

I was totally expecting/prepared for the technical speak in this show to be typical moronic CSI-esque garbage but was very pleasantly surprised at how well done and accurate it is instead, at least compared to other shows. It's definitely the best from any show that I can think of at the moment. It's the first time I've ever seen a TOR network (network of re-routing traffic for anonymity) accurately described as not completely anonymous because of the vulnerability of the exit node, every other show I've seen it spoken of was as a lazy writing device to make something completely anonymous/untraceable. Seeing actual commands used that were relevant to what the character was doing was also unexpected and refreshing.

I'm pretty skeptical/eye-rolly about Mr. Robot's ripped-out-of-Fight Club goal, but I'm willing to give it leeway for now and see how it plays out.
Elisa

Comments

• ArctorArctor The Netherlands
  • @Arctor Ah I didn't even know of this show until a day before it premiered so I obviously didn't know about early youtube pilot thingy. That thread's a month old; I've had several issues with the search function so I instead out of habit just scanned the last two pages for a thread.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Yeah I was pretty sure this was commented on prior, but better late than never!

We'll all see episode 2 at the same time.
  • historicstorkhistoricstork Detroitburbs
    +1 for this show. just watched the first episode. I think refreshing is exactly right. at first I was doubtful about another show portraying hackers, but this one seems about right. between the tortured genius, (house MD), the Rust Cole philosophy on life, the love interest, and 'evil corp', the show has a good blend of interesting themes that should play out nicely. I'm still unsure what to think of a company being named Evil Corp. It seems like an amalgamation of Enron, Koch, Apple, and surely some other companies, but Evil Corp? really? I think the core question in episode 1 is who do you trust? Should be fun.
    this seems like a perfect show for a BM cast.
    Elisa
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX

...I'm still unsure what to think of a company being named Evil Corp. It seems like an amalgamation of Enron, Koch, Apple, and surely some other companies, but Evil Corp? really?.

Don't forget Dell
    Elisa
    edited June 2015

...I'm still unsure what to think of a company being named Evil Corp. It seems like an amalgamation of Enron, Koch, Apple, and surely some other companies, but Evil Corp? really?.

Don't forget Dell
    Even as a former Texan, I'm not surprised that I forgot Dell. ;)

Enron was the first company I thought of through the exposition and when I saw the logo. Comparing the logos, it seems that the tilted E is pulled from or inspired by Dell. It could be that this is just the sort of lazy logo that a large corporation would keep from the 80s-90s era.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. The Dell wiki is pretty interesting. 

Dell had a reputation as a company that relied upon supply chain efficiencies to sell established technologies at low prices, instead of being an innovator.

Dell's reputation for poor customer service, since 2002, which was exacerbated as it moved call centres offshore and as its growth outstripped its technical support infrastructure, came under increasing scrutiny on the Web.

imageimage
    ksa1001ElisaAntManBee
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I love that they just called out real companies and properties like that, you don't see that very often and it can't be good for attracting advertising. I can't say no to a show about a sympathetic portrayal of a paranoid anarchist hacker. 

I'm still unsure what to think of a company being named Evil Corp. It seems like an amalgamation of Enron, Koch, Apple, and surely some other companies, but Evil Corp? really? 

If I read it right we're seeing the world through his eyes as his imaginary friend. The company is called E Corp but in his mind he transposes Evil Corp onto it whenever he sees or thinks about it. It also means that Mr Robot and all those government agents may or may not be real, we don't have any way of knowing until he does.
    Arctorghm3Elisa
  • @bizmarkiefader Yeah and not only companies but people, I love how they called out Steve Jobs as what he actually was instead of the glorified idolization he gets way too much of.
    Elisa
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    If anything, Episode 2 was even better than Episode 1.

I'm really liking our anti-hero's quiet, semi-autistic strength. 
    Elisa
    This show is great. So many memorable character moments and conversations even two episodes in.

It's like a mashup of every fedora-ey concept they could think of (uber competent hackers, drug addiction, paranoia, secret societies, anti consumerism, anti corporations, imaginary characters, radical activism, social anxiety, being friend-zoned, pretty much everything else that was in Fight Club or The Matrix or Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) and it still feels completely original and compelling. 

Mr Robot is Hacker Tyler Durden right? He doesn't seem to do much himself outside of come up with plans or really harsh life advice and relay it to Elliot.
    manhattnikadobo1148ElisaAntManBee
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    You're right, Biz. It'd just be a bunch of worn-out tropes if not for their being handled so very well. 
    dat last scene tho. that was some masterful exposition.

hypergenesb
  • Best new show this year, I appreciate TV that's not afraid to be ambitious, yet can show lots of restraint. Rami Malek plays his role to perfection; they've managed to his keep voice over narration to a minimum, and allow Maleks acting skills to express his characters angst. That's what frustrated me with a show like Dexter who deployed this gimmick way too much. Plus unlike Dexter, Mr Robot has supporting characters that don't feel like mere foils for the protagonist, but as vessels for growth. Finally it's great to see Christan Slater embrace a character he's probably always had in his back pocket, but Avoided from fear of type casting. Not unlike Robert Downey Jr Tony Stark, this is right in Slaters wheelhouse; as if the character from Heathers never blew himself up, but lived to be a computer hacking anarchist. Brilliant career move!!!!!!
    The_Third_ManKingKobraElisa
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I caught the first shows last night. I guess I'm on board so far. When it breaks for the ads it seems kind of strange like they don't line up right or something it is a little jarring to me. Also this show has the tone of being a edgy kind of antiestablishment type show. So when it goes in to car ads and the other stuff they are pitching during the breaks it seems to take me out of the vibe this show is putting out. If they were on a channel like Sundance I think the ads would be different.
    Elisa
    @kingbee67 Yea this is not a good show for commercials. I'd recommend recording it and skipping them or watching it on USA's site where you can find ways around them.
    The_Third_ManElisa
  • E3 last night was fantastic. This show continues to impress me.
    Elisa
  • I was skipping through the pilot again and noticed something I didn't in my first viewing: Colbey's IP written down that he was inputting to set him up.

As soon as I saw that 218 I was like, "oh nice, easter egg" hoping it may lead to a cool little fan site or something, but then they had to disappoint a bit and use a fake IP with their 373 nonsense in the last octet. 

It would've been so cool if they made a little fan site with no DNS that you could only get to from a real IP they show briefly, this certainly seemed like the type of show that may do something like if any would, but oh well.

Anyway, it's quite foolish having official fsociety letterhead paper lying around his apartment...
  • +1 for this show.... this seems like a perfect show for a BM cast.

I will second that.
    Elisa
  • I've jumped on the hype train as well. Watched the pilot and was blown away at how cinematic it was (probably because that's how it started out). I'm going to quickly catch up.
    Elisa
  • edited July 2015
    I agree with the above, tailor-made for a Bald Move cast if I ever saw one.

Best new show of the year.

ps - I've always thought Halt and Catch Fire was a perfect one for Jim and ARon too.
    hypergenesbKingKobraElisa
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I am loving this show.
    Elisa
  • AManIsNoOneAManIsNoOne Greensboro, NC
    edited July 2015
    This show is amazing. It's exactly the show I've been craving for a long time. After the first 2 episodes, it's skyrocketing up my television priority list. I'm in love with the premise and I've been quite surprised at how visually appealing it is. Actually, it's overall production is pretty great. The cast works well with each other and while I can see how some might not like the sound production, I've found it peculiar but very effective. I'm a big fan of Dexter and the production of this show reminds me a lot of that shows.The internal narration is the obvious parallel, but there's also the vigilantism and the possibly unstable mental condition of the protagonist. I'm thoroughly impressed and I'm all in on this show, so much that I've recently been recruiting friends to watch it with so I can talk to them about it. 

P.S. I agree that this is the perfect show for a bald move cast. I'd definitely donate towards commissioning one. 

The_Third_ManElisa
  • Gentlemen...get on this show for the podcast!

I missed the first 4 eps but just watched them via iTunes last night and today after the Very Bad Wizards guys did an entire pod about eps 1-3. Soooo much to chew on here. Lots of borrowing from the greats, but so well executed that you don't even care. So excited to have found a new show.
    KingKobraElisaksa1001
  • This could be the most exaggerated first-person narrative television show that I can remember. You have a very difficult time distinguishing what Elliott is actually hearing/seeing/doing from what comes out the audience through his filter. The creators really trust the audience to do a lot of heavy lifting and that is exactly what I am looking for in a serialized television show.
    Garrison66KingKobraElisa
  • edited July 2015
    Also...the pilot is on YouTube if you want to get a taste.

And usually hate doing this...but Andy Greenwald gives a great reaction write-up if you're on the fence. http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/mr-robot-usa-review-christian-slater/

historicstorkElisa
  • While the show (as its been said before) does require the watcher to actually watch and pay attention, it is one of the best new shows on TV right now.  Disappointed that there aren't more podcasts (cough cough) on this show.  Its dense enough where I think it may be tailor made for that type of discussion.  The overall darkness\unevenness (due to Elliot) may throw a lot of people off.  I would be interested in seeing if people have different reactions when watching episodes binge style instead of week to week (since this was originally supposed to be a movie).  There is so much to digest in some of these episodes that a break may be needed to take it in.
    Elisaksa1001
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    This along with Humans were huge surprises. I really love the way they do the opening credits on this show.

I think episode 4 pretty much confirmed it but what's everyone's opinion, are you staying on the Mr. Robot isn't real train?
    Elisa
    @Drew I haven't followed what the internet's theory on this is but it feels like he isn't real to me, they even had the girl reacting to him not remembering their night together scene. I've been considering it a fact he wasn't real since the second episode. Am I way off on this?
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @bizmarkiefader I don't want to spoil this weeks episode if you haven't seen it, but I will say that this weeks episode had Mr. Robot have some very significant interactions that tells me that he's real.
  • edited July 2015
    Drew said:

@bizmarkiefader I don't want to spoil this weeks episode if you haven't seen it, but I will say that this weeks episode had Mr. Robot have some very significant interactions that tells me that he's real.

I tend to disagree. I think we're definitely in a 'fight club' situation in that Mr. Robot is just another side of Elliott. In the coffee shop when Mr. Robot interacts with people Elliott is in the background at the table and his two fsociety companions are not interacting with him. Then again at the end when Mr. Robot is arguing with Darlene, Elliott is off in the back not saying anything and no one is acknowledging him. When the 'Elliott' side of Elliott (sorry, hard to know how to describe it) is needed, Mr. Robot exits. So while what the audience literally sees is some character interaction directly with Mr. Robot, I think it can all be explained in a way similar to Tyler Durden/Fight Club. That might be too simplistic and clearly this could be wrong, but they would be breaking a lot of the rules they've established if it turns out Mr. Robot is real and physically separate from Elliott.

More telling in this episode is when Elliott is in Steel Mountain and Mr. Robot is in the van and quite literally in Elliott's ear/head via the transmitter (maybe a little too heavy-handed of a metaphor by Esmail)...there is zero acknowledgement of Mr. Robot's existence by the other two dudes.

Regardless, this show is astounding. I'll likely watch each episode a few times and am actually glad it's not a Netflix show as you need that week to breath.
    KingKobraadobo1148Elisaksa1001AntManBee
This discussion has been closed.