I'm mad about Roseanne

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    seanray said:
    @JaimieT @JoshuaHeter, I can see a point that they canceled it because she said that on Twitter instead of sarcasticly on a show like Colbert did, where on a personal twitter feed, it can be taken as a personal belief instead of sarcasm. But honestly, doesn’t South Park say worst things on a weekly basis? I can name dozens of things racist, sexists, homophobic, etc. South Park has said, but maybe it’s okay because it’s on the show, and doesn’t reflect their personal views?

Yes.
    darwinfeeshy
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 2018
    There is a vast difference between an opinion expressed in a satirical or joking way as part of the in-universe of a show and the lead actor of a show expressing an out and out racist opinion. In show it can be used as a jumping off point to ridicule people (rightfully) for having these outdated and frankly disgusting worldviews, out of show it just means you’re a racist who likes to say racist things and probably shouldn’t be allowed to lead a major television show. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, what she did and what South Park does are vastly different and not even in the same boat. Plus, I bet the standards of Comedy Central (even being owned by Viacom) are a lot more lax than of ABMICKEYMOUSEC.
  • My opinion has already been written for me . . . link

Glad she is gone - I see too many people like her in everyday life.  
  • Glad the false equivalencies have made it to this thread.

Also, now she's blaming Ambien while retweeting people complaining that cancelling her show was hypocritical because "liberal" comics say mean stuff about Trump. What a treasure. I feel so bad for her. 
    voodooratrusskelly
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 2018
    @seanray
    I mean look, what exactly is the alternative here, that ABC should have not fired noted racist Roseanne Barr and just continued as if everything was fine?
    edited May 2018
    Alkaid13 said:
    @seanray
    I mean look, what exactly is the alternative here, that ABC should have not fired noted racist Roseanne Barr and just continued as if everything was fine?

They could have released a statement that said: Any opinion expressed by yada-yada-yada are not held by ABC, and continued on, yeah.

Does @seanray think ABC should be making more financial risks? That's fine, it's just kind of a weird thing to argue for, business decisions.
  • No, fire her, they are a private company, they can do what they want. But have they not been watching the view? They say shit that is offensive all the time. Joy Behar said Christians have mental illnesses, but she had a chance to apologize and move on.
    rhcoop
  • seanray said:
    No, fire her, they are a private company, they can do what they want. But have they not been watching the view? They say shit that is offensive all the time. Joy Behar said Christians have mental illnesses, but she had a chance to apologize and move on.
    Being Christian is a choice. One's race is not. Christians have never been a persecuted groups in the US. Black people have and are. Finally, way to drastically exaggerate what Joy Behar said. She did not say Christians have a mental illness. She said if you talk to Jesus, and he talks back, you have a mental illness. Which is a much narrower statement and, frankly, yeah, lots of people with mental illness who hear voices attribute them to religious/demonic causes if they are already religious, so it's not that out there of a statement.

You know all this, though. 
    darwinfeeshyMurderbearphoenyx1023voodooratUnderwoodgguenotDeeFlukeshisdudeness915Kela15and 1 other.
    edited May 2018
    seanray said:
    No, fire her, they are a private company, they can do what they want. But have they not been watching the view? They say shit that is offensive all the time. Joy Behar said Christians have mental illnesses, but she had a chance to apologize and move on.

Christians choose to be Christians. Having free will about that is a huge part of their theology. 

Do you not understand why racism is especially hateful?

And if you don't recognize it as a distinctly insidious type of commentary, then maybe look at it contextually: the Germans are especially touchy about Nazism because of their history. Americans are especially touchy about racism because of ours.
    darwinfeeshyMurderbear
  • @asmallcat yes.being religious is a choice for sure, but many people claim to have a religious experience where their God spoke to them, who is anyone to say it wasn’t true? This isn’t an argument to sway you, but there are billions of religious people on the Earth, all claim to have some sort of relationship with their god. Can’t you see what she said is offensive?

@JaimieT, certianly I can understand it’s a very touchy subject. Racism is a horrific evil that has no place anywhere.
  • Christians are being persecuted.  Link

Snowflakes 
    asmallcat
  • seanray said:
    @asmallcat yes.being religious is a choice for sure, but many people claim to have a religious experience where their God spoke to them, who is anyone to say it wasn’t true? This isn’t an argument to sway you, but there are billions of religious people on the Earth, all claim to have some sort of relationship with their god. Can’t you see what she said is offensive?

@JaimieT, certianly I can understand it’s a very touchy subject. Racism is a horrific evil that has no place anywhere.
    The vast majority don't claim they hear God's voice in their head. Further, offensive and racist are not the same thing.

And as to people who claim god speaks to them, I am someone with common sense to claim it's not true. We have lots of evidence of diseases that cause auditory hallucinations. We have a lot less (exactly 0) of an omnipotent being speaking into people's minds. 
    UnderwoodFlukeshisdudeness915
    seanray said:
    @asmallcat yes.being religious is a choice for sure, but many people claim to have a religious experience where their God spoke to them, who is anyone to say it wasn’t true? This isn’t an argument to sway you, but there are billions of religious people on the Earth, all claim to have some sort of relationship with their god. Can’t you see what she said is offensive?

I don't know what you expect to happen by continuing to argue whatever you're arguing.
    phoenyx1023
  • I’m arguing the double standard of who we fire for what. I’m not defending Rosanne, I’m trying to talk about why we as a society laugh at some things said about people and damn others. So if I got side tracked or I am not articulating my argument, then I’ll just stop here. My point wasn’t to defend Rosanne or her comments, it was to ask why this is a straw to break the camels back, when we have other things said about other groups that are offensive as well. (Certainly not as offensive .)
    edited May 2018
    seanray said:
    I’m arguing the double standard of who we fire for what. I’m not defending Rosanne, I’m trying to talk about why we as a society laugh at some things said about people and damn others. So if I got side tracked or I am not articulating my argument, then I’ll just stop here. My point wasn’t to defend Rosanne or her comments, it was to ask why this is a straw to break the camels back, when we have other things said about other groups that are offensive as well. (Certainly not as offensive .)

Well, ABC made the decision. There is no "we" in the legal societal sense. And as for the court of public opinion, I'm afraid if you're asking for consistency you're gonna have a bad time -- especially if you see little discrepancy between mocking someone for a choice and something they did not choose.
    Geomec
  • Chinaski said:
    I'm sure this is somehow the liberal elite's fault, and not the most obvious career suicide of all time. 
    edited May 2018
    Chinaski said:

Unsurprising, since her apology demonstrated she didn't understand what she did wrong. It was a rote apology, so of course she'll feel betrayed going forward. 

Some people do the groveling thing, hoping it'll pan out, and when it doesn't they turn ugly again. Sad!
    hisdudeness915
  • Roseanne was not solely fired for this tweet, she had been making ABC quite uncomfortable for some time and this is what pushed them over the edge. She can’t successfully claim that it was a joke, or the Ambien talking, or whatever the next excuse is because of the context of who she is publically aside from this tweet. ABC probably should not have risked this project in the first place.

Our Cartoon President is satire, and it’s on Showtime.
    Colbert’s late night show is satire. The man made his name with a nonstop satire of Bill O’Reilly
    Southpark is satire with heart, all of the racism and xenophobia on that show demonstrates how ridiculous it is rather than glorifying it, and it’s on Comedy Central
    Bill Maher is a bit nuts on some issues, but you know what you’re getting with him, and he’s on HBO, and he was fired by ABC
    I don’t watch the View, but I presume they don’t put up with racist declarations on a regular basis
    Michael Richards career was pretty much killed for stepping over the line on race
    Kathy Griffin’s career went through a near-death experience for stepping over the line on Trump

To be clear: indulging in public racism is an entirely different thing that being insulting to DJT. It is not equivalent. Period. If the right chooses to take an attack on racism as an attack on the right, then they are just confirming many folks worst fears about what the right is becoming in this country.

If you’re not a racist, but many of the people you affiliate yourself with are racists and you find yourself defending racism because attacks on it are hurting your “side,” then you have some introspective thinking to do.

The dog whistles of Birtherism, attacks on Anthem Protests, All Lives Matter, etc. have been successful for the right, but if you go from dog whistle to bullhorn folks still draw a line.
    Murderbearphoenyx1023asmallcatJaimieTbudesignsjhecht11Underwoodtom_gFlukeshisdudeness915and 4 others.
  • @Murderbear well that cover aged well lol. 
    MurderbearbudesignsdarwinfeeshyFlukes
  • @LordBy thank you for your explanation, I can see why it would be different because one is complete satire and one is not, and the way you say something can determine the intent of what is said.
    MurderbearLordBymajjam0770
  • Using logic that can be found in this thread, it looks like President Trump wants an apology from ABC.
    voodoorat
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    For what? Is it the fact that the news is reporting on all the stupid and evil shit he does? He should just embrace the Lando philosophy. It sounds wayyyyyyy less cool when I put his dumb face in there though....(All apologies to Donald Glover and Billy Dee Williams)
    budesignsMichelle
  • edited May 2018
    WAIT!!

Maybe, just maybe, we didn't stop to consider Donald Trump's feelings.

Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    For what? Is it the fact that the news is reporting on all the stupid and evil shit he does? He should just embrace the Lando philosophy. It sounds wayyyyyyy less cool when I put his dumb face in there though....(All apologies to Donald Glover and Billy Dee Williams)

Thanks for my new office dartboard!
    Murderbear
  • If you take it, easy on the ambien, apparently bigotry is a possible side effect 
    Chinaskiphoenyx1023Michelle
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    This tweet from Jimmy Kimmel really pisses me off:

"What @TheRealRoseanne said is indefensible, but angrily attacking a woman who is obviously not well does no good for anyone. Please take a breath and remember that mental health issues are real. The Roseanne I know could probably use some compassion and help right now."

Sorry, nope, I don’t accept this. None of the people I know who suffer with mental illness revert to racism in their low points. It’s not a symptom.
    BelleJaimieTasmallcatCodyHarris821
This discussion has been closed.