Fortnite

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 2018
    Haha awesome @JaimieT .  Richard is really playing well tonight.  I don't see anyone being able to challenge them in the finals 

Richard is doing amazing. Now I know why Ninja picked him. It didn't make sense to me last week.

I was really hoping for a One Shot Gurl v. Ninja showdown, though I'm pretty sure she would have lost. She and Nick Eh aren't quite hungry enough. They're very nice players. They need to study game theory. But 3rd or 6th place or whatever (I have no idea how places are determined after 2nd) is solid.

I was so impressed with her solution to the problem where you want to launch pad away but you don't want the other team using the pad after you...? She built the ramp, placed the pad, built 4 walls around the pad, dropped a grenade, and jumped away. So elegant! My mind was blown. Maybe that's been done before, but she sounded like it was something she'd just thought of.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Wow, that is pretty ingenious.  Haven't seen anyone do that.  

Time for the finals!

JaimieT
  • and of course just about their 4 worst games in the finals.  They just couldn't find anyone
    edited May 2018
    Man, what a bummer ending for me. Those FaZe boys are like children's book goons. They're introduced by someone shouting, "It's the FaZe brothers!" in chapter 2 and some corporate monster hires them to trash the good guys' hideout at the top of the 3rd act. 
  • FaZeberry is a delicious GFuel flavor though
    This is not me being critical of anything... Dr Lupo was playing Fortnite today with about 34K viewers. He switches to PUBG and is down to 24K within 20 minutes. He played duos with Deadmau5 and was at 7K by the stream's end. I stayed with him, but I was background listening.
  • Yikes, I guess that tells you right there all you need to know about the difference in popularity.  Right now he's sitting at 6.5 while Tim is at 23 playing squads with Ninja (123).  
    edited May 2018
    Yikes, I guess that tells you right there all you need to know about the difference in popularity.  Right now he's sitting at 6.5 while Tim is at 23 playing squads with Ninja (123).  

Yeah I'm watching :smile:

He's probably low, now, because of PUBG and he got in on the Tim/Ninja thing a little late.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It's nuts how fast things change. It's almost like the punctured equilibrium branch of evolutionary theory.  Things tend to stay the same and make slow progress towards this way or that, but man when things change, they change fast.  I think Fortnite will be around for a long time and so will Ninjas, Lupos, Myths, and Tims of the world, but I'm curious what will happen when the next epoch changes.

Cecily and I watched portions of Friday's tournament Monday and we're like, "welp, I guess this is what we're doing with our Friday's this summer."  People asking when people will get sick of playing Fortnite are missing the point. People don't get sick of watching baseball for hundreds of games in a single year, and that's hella more boring than Fortnite, and the skill gap is very similar. I love the 2v2 squad slaying format. I love that there are lots of crazy problems creeping up (such as the tryhard TSM squads trying to force their way in and cause havoc) and that people are nay saying it. It feels like the early years of UFC.
    JaimieTJTKIIIroxbombersjtmy92CodyHarris821
    edited May 2018
    Cecily and I watched portions of Friday's tournament Monday and we're like, "welp, I guess this is what we're doing with our Friday's this summer."  

Right?!

I really don't like the idea of being parked in front of the TV for several hours every Friday night. For being "that person" who will feel bad if they miss a sporting event. Shit. But whatever I decide to do, it shouldn't be motivated by external "shoulds"... so I will be that person for the foreseeable future while I sort all of this out.

Yay Fortnite life crises!
    roxbombers
  • You guys think Ninja is going to give King Richard the boot after underperforming in crunch time the last two Fridays? I’m going to guess Lupo is replacing him since Tim is not playing this Friday.
    JTKIII said:
    You guys think Ninja is going to give King Richard the boot after underperforming in crunch time the last two Fridays? I’m going to guess Lupo is replacing him since Tim is not playing this Friday.

Ninja was really talking up King Richard yesterday (to Tim). Said he was a top player. I think he's gonna keep him around for the time being, though I'd love if he'd play with Lupo.
    JTKIII
  • I really need to find a Twitter account that is tweeting out when each match begins.  I've only watched a few people (ninja, tim, lupo, myth) in those tournaments but as the night goes on there are those long delays with them waiting the streams you care about getting to their next match.

Have you guys tried the UMG stream? I haven't been super impressed by the announcers, but I got spoiled by Lupo in Ninja's Vegas tourney.  I think if I'm around this week I might have to try the UMG feed on the chromecast to see all 4 screens of who is playing then the streamer specific feeds on the tablet for their in game commentary.
    edited May 2018
    I really need to find a Twitter account that is tweeting out when each match begins.  I've only watched a few people (ninja, tim, lupo, myth) in those tournaments but as the night goes on there are those long delays with them waiting the streams you care about getting to their next match.

Have you guys tried the UMG stream? I haven't been super impressed by the announcers, but I got spoiled by Lupo in Ninja's Vegas tourney.  I think if I'm around this week I might have to try the UMG feed on the chromecast to see all 4 screens of who is playing then the streamer specific feeds on the tablet for their in game commentary.

Oh man, that would be nice. Hell, even the redditors on /r/FortniteBR are asking for just a stickied discussion post and not getting it (yet). 

It helps to be watching a few people... I was jumping in between and that was entertaining. But there was about 1.5 hours towards the end that were misery. 

But it's because Myth was demanding a rematch because someone had a 100 second delay instead of a 120 second delay. That put them way behind and slowed everything up.

I've only seen the UMG stream via Ninja pulling it up, and it didn't grab me.

When I was a kid, my dad would always have the Astros on the TV, volume muted, with the radio plugged in via an extension cord, because he preferred the radio announcers. I reminded myself of my dad on Friday, watching one stream on my phone, the other on the Chromecast...
    RE: Myth's bitching about the 20 second discrepancy, if you look at the rules, there are truck sized holes to drive through and I can't wait to see how they arbitrate some of them.  It's going to be fun.

I think King Richard might possibly be a better pure slayer than Lupo.  For whatever reason, Ninja always grabs King Richard when he wants to try and set a kill record. Also, didn't their problems in week one stem from Ninja wanting to split up to maximize kills verses Richard wanting to stick together to minimize risk?  It seems that the latter strategy is obviously better.  It seems to me like the meta is, if you think you're more skilled, play conservatively, if you think you're less skilled than the opposition, play riskier, land in traffic, try to kill a lot even if you may bust out?  

I think that's what happened to Lupo and Tim.  They came damn near winning that first game with the high risk / high reward strategy.  

I also think that Richard deals with Ninja being a dick in high stress situations better than Ben. Ninja and Ben screaming at each other during tense game moments is bad for their brand, and I kind of think that's what would happen.

RE: Jaimie, that's how sometime in my early 20's I realized I was actually a fan of football than an ironic or closeted fan. It didn't mesh with how I saw myself, but it's just as irrational to deny yourself pleasant stimulus because it doesn't fit in with your notion of self as it is to force  yourself to enjoy something you don't like to fit in. It always grates when I'm in a company of fellow nerds and all the "hur dur sports ball what is it even lol?" bullshit starts. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves, haha. I've kind of fallen out of love with the NFL for a variety of reasons in the past five years, I'm going to see where this Fortnite thing goes!
    JaimieTJTKIII
    I also think that Richard deals with Ninja being a dick in high stress situations better than Ben. 

Agreed, Richard doesn't begrudge being backseat driven either... Ben just goes kind of silent when that happens, haha.

"It's just as irrational to deny yourself pleasant stimulus because it doesn't fit in with your notion of self as it is to force yourself to enjoy something you don't like to fit in."

Wow, that really clears it right up. 
  • I agree with you guys that King Richard works better chemistry wise with Ninja. He definitely strokes Ninjas ego any chance he gets which I’m sure Ninja appreciates. I honestly haven’t seen enough gameplay from King Richard to give a real honest opinion on him as a gamer. He seems like a cool dude though. Can’t wait for Friday. 

Have you guys seen what Summit1G has been doing lately with other streamers? He’s been doing duels. It’s been really fun to watch other streamers match up against each other. Click on the link to check out the rules fin you’re unfamiliar with what I’m talking about

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Summit1G/comments/8lnakj/whats_summits_pointsystem_in_fortnite_duels/
    JTKIII said:
    I agree with you guys that King Richard works better chemistry wise with Ninja. He definitely strokes Ninjas ego any chance he gets which I’m sure Ninja appreciates. I honestly haven’t seen enough gameplay from King Richard to give a real honest opinion on him as a gamer. He seems like a cool dude though. Can’t wait for Friday. 

Have you guys seen what Summit1G has been doing lately with other streamers? He’s been doing duels. It’s been really fun to watch other streamers match up against each other. Click on the link to check out the rules fin you’re unfamiliar with what I’m talking about

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Summit1G/comments/8lnakj/whats_summits_pointsystem_in_fortnite_duels/

I like the idea of points because so much of the current Keemstar tournament feels like luck of player rotations. 
  •  A_Ron_Hubbard said:
    Also, didn't their problems in week one stem from Ninja wanting to split up to maximize kills verses Richard wanting to stick together to minimize risk?  It seems that the latter strategy is obviously better.  It seems to me like the meta is, if you think you're more skilled, play conservatively, if you think you're less skilled than the opposition, play riskier, land in traffic, try to kill a lot even if you may bust out?  
    I agree that Richard has a much higher upside than Lupo and probably handles Ninja better in those tense situation.  

If I remember correctly, the first week Ninja went on his insane killing spree to tie it up 1-1.  After such an insane game he was so hyped up he didn't realize it was a reset and they should just play their normal game.  He said later for some reason he thought they were still down and needed another kill spree.  They split up and I think Ninja died early that third game.   

Richard is definitely a fan of the conservative strategy.  He wanted to mirror the other team all of the games in the finals and trust in Ninja and his ability to push when they found an opponent and steal the kill of the opponent.  It took out the risk that their opponent would catch better rotations than them based on the luck of the zone.  The one game they did that both teams had the really low kill totals.  That final match they played separately and seemed like their opponents died get much better rotations.  I think Richard's strategy would have worked it they played it the whole game but can understand Ninja not wanting to mirror someone the whole game when he is as skilled as he is.
    JaimieT
    edited May 2018
    Whatever happens with this Fortnite blowup, I'm gonna be the fucking Rita Skeeter of this new world.

POSSIBLE NINJA/LUPO TOURNAMENT DUO?

At the 2:25:00 mark in Ninja's VOD on the afternoon of 5/29, Dr Lupo said, "Tim, you won't be here for Friday, right?" regarding Friday's tournament. I believe Tim said no (there was a lot of over-talk, as in squads). I couldn't hear the question that prompted this, but Ninja said of Richard, "He submitted a new teammate." He let that hang a while, implying there was some awkwardness there? Someone asked, "Who are you playing with on Friday?" and Ninja said, "Um, I don't have anybody..." Tim said, "Wow, would you look at what is happening, dude." And Dr Lupo went into his normal charming schtick of, "Wow, I'm looking for someone too, it's weird that we're, uh... cool." Ninja said, "Do you want to practice?" And Lupo got close to the microphone and said, "I thought you'd never ask." Ninja smirked and jerked his head to the side, shy, annoyed: "It's gotta be full tryhard, dude. For realsies, duo squads..." In the clipped voice he uses to avoid sounding too sincere, Lupo replied, "I know. I just need you to not doubt me, and my abilities." And Ninja said, "I don't... I don't... doubt you, Ben."  

Almost immediately after this, Ninja got shot down and before getting thirsted we got a nice, "BEENNN!!!" that we haven't heard in a while. 

10/10, good unsaid drama
  • JaimieT said:
    Whatever happens with this Fortnite blowup, I'm gonna be the fucking Rita Skeeter of this new world.

At the 2:25:00 mark in Ninja's VOD on the afternoon of 5/29, Dr Lupo said, "Tim, you won't be here for Friday, right?" regarding Friday's tournament. I believe Tim said no (there was a lot of over-talk, as in squads). I couldn't hear the question that prompted this, but Ninja said of Richard, "He submitted a new teammate." He let that hang a while, implying there was some awkwardness there? Someone asked, "Who are you playing with on Friday?" and Ninja said, "Um, I don't have anybody..." Tim said, "Wow, would you look at what is happening, dude." And Dr Lupo went into his normal charming schtick of, "Wow, I'm looking for someone too, it's weird that we're, uh... cool." Ninja said, "Do you want to practice?" And Lupo got close to the microphone and said, "I thought you'd never ask." Ninja smirked and jerked his head to the side, shy, annoyed: "It's gotta be full tryhard, dude. For realsies, duo squads..." In the clipped voice he uses to avoid sounding too sincere, Lupo replied, "I know. I just need you to not doubt me, and my abilities." And Ninja said, "I don't... I don't... doubt you, Ben."  

Almost immediately after this, Ninja got shot down and before getting thirsted we got a nice, "BEENNN!!!" that we haven't heard in a while. 

10/10, good unsaid drama
    Wow. I wonder why King Richard ditched Ninja for a new partner? That surprises me. 
    edited May 2018
    JTKIII said:
    JaimieT said:

10/10, good unsaid drama
    Wow. I wonder why King Richard ditched Ninja for a new partner? That surprises me. 

In the second half of that VOD, Lupo and Ninja did start practicing duo squads. Ninja said more... said it was all friendly and no sore feelings (everyone says that), but Richard wanted to try something new. 

Very shortly after that Ninja said he was bummed for about 24 hours after that last game and he thinks if they'd gone to Tilted, like his strategy was, they would have won, as opposed to following the FuZe brothers around. But he let Richard make that call because he'd been making all the calls previously.

So, sharing his feelings and thoughts about that game does 2 things for Ninja, I think... it explains the upset and sets expectations for Lupo. (You could say it's saving face too, but I think Ninja is more concerned with winning than face, as we've frequently seen when he succumbs to gloating.)

Ninja wants to make all calls about ambiguous situations, and only wants input from people he sees as less capable players on situations that are obvious. (Direct statements were said to insinuate this, from both Lupo and Ninja.) For the immediate future anyway.

We can only guess about Richard. I'm a little more charitable towards Ninja than you are (and I'm not suggesting you should be otherwise) so I think it's probably just a huge fucking bummer to disappoint your teammate that much, even indirectly. He might just want to have some chill games.

Like how One Shot Gurl and Nick Eh play... a "team first" attitude.

It's pretty clear to me that Ninja views all this as business and not personal. I enjoy the tension of Lupo seducing him to the personal side of the Fortnite. ;)
    JTKIII
  • Wow, thanks for that update.  That is really shocking they wouldn't even give it a third week.  It seemed like there was such an improvement from week 1 to week 2.  

I like Lupo but don't see him with nearly the upside of Richard if Ninja happens to go down.  I guess the couple of times that Ninja has gone down Richard hasn't done very well anyway in the tournament.  Maybe Ninja being more comfortable making all the calls will make up for it.

It would be awesome to see Richard and Ninja face off in the 2nd or 3rd round on Friday.
  • jtmy92jtmy92 Independence, MO
    Welp, looks like we're getting Myth/Hamlinz vs. Ninja/Dr. Lupo in round 1 tomorrow. Should be great!
    JaimieT
    edited May 2018
    jtmy92 said:
    Welp, looks like we're getting Myth/Hamlinz vs. Ninja/Dr. Lupo in round 1 tomorrow. Should be great!

Ouch, that feels intentional too. That puts a lot of pressure on the Lupo/Ninja pairing right out of the gate. :neutral:
    jtmy92
    I think Team NinPo will win handily. LuJa? Dr. Ninja? I think Myth gets caught up in really big moments in a way Ninja just doesn't after a decade in the tourney scene. Plus, I think he's just much better. But we'll see!
    JaimieTjtmy92
  • I’d love to see how Dr. Disrespect would react if “Dr. Ninja” started trending lol
    JaimieT
  • Any predictions? Without looking at any matchups, I'll say Dr. Ninja gets to the 4th rd then goes to the loser bracket, Richard makes it 3 rd before dropping.
    JaimieT
    I'm too nervous to make predictions.

The FuZe brothers will win, there, that's mine, it's stolen from last week. 
    What a game! Skybase at the end? Come from behind win with perfectly split 26 kills? So good...
    JaimieT