The Handmaid's Tale Episode 209: "Smart Power." Boy Howdy, That Was Good!

russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
edited June 14 in Other TV
So the show is back to form after what I think was a murky middle. Every interaction was on point. It was an hour full of pay offs and it left me feeling great. So if you haven't seen it yet, see it. One of my favorite parts was the gay Canadian official throwing mega shade at Waterford. LOVED IT! There wasn't a bad second in this ep.
FlukesMichelleElisaNervousRhino

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    I. love. this. show.  And as much as Serena is so mean to June, I really like that we're now seeing her 'awakening' and becoming so aware of how evil and abhorrent the treatment of women in Gilead is.  I loved when she was in the car riding down the Canada streets, looking longingly at the people outside, just living their lives freely and openly without restriction.  For a minute I thought she was going to take the man in the bar up on his offer to get her safely to Hawaii, but then when she threw the matchbook in the fire after returning home, I thought "yeah, that's more like Serena".  I feel like her story is going to conclude with her suffering soooooo much at the hands of her husband *or* finally breaking free and taking Hannah with her so that June can eventually get her back.  I don't know though - there are so many directions this can go.
    Flukes
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I've been really happy with the show overall this season, and I've been surprised they've found so much to do with it. 

It still doesn't make any sense that Janine (who bizarrely is allowed to be called Janine) and Emily were allowed to come back from the Colonies, but that has allowed for some good developments since then. 

I also get a little tired of how often the episodes end on a defiant piece of narration from June. It's kind of like they're saying "we know things are depressing, but don't worry she's not giving up". Which is fine, they just go to that well too much. I'd rather see her trying to do something, or even get some glimpse of how all this resistance activity works.

Serena is a great character. I want her to defect, but I also don't think she deserves to escape.
    MichelleFlukes
    chrisk said:
    I also get a little tired of how often the episodes end on a defiant piece of narration from June. It's kind of like they're saying "we know things are depressing, but don't worry she's not giving up". Which is fine, they just go to that well too much. I'd rather see her trying to do something, or even get some glimpse of how all this resistance activity works.
    I actually do agree with this.  It would be nice to see them do this with other characters from time to time, especially if that character is featured quite a bit in that episode.  Like with this one, it would have been nice for them to end on that note with Serena instead of June.  I get it though, this is supposed to be told through June's eyes/POV, but still.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I don't like Serena, but I do enjoy the character if that makes sense. I'm starting to wonder if there's any indignity she won't suffer to avoid confronting the damage her ideology's done. Fred needs her to come to Canada and play the part of a strong Gilead Wife, but when she actually was a strong woman, he assaulted her for it. Because God I guess.

Things I really liked:
    • Luke calling the rape by name in public.
    • Moira making sure Waterford saw her and knew she escaped.
    • The gay Canadian diplomat
    • "We believe the women."
    • Serena catching on immediately that encounter with the American representative wasn't a chance meeting.
    • Serena's picture-book agenda from the Canadians.
    phoenyx1023russkellyMichelleElisaNoel
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Flukes said:
    I don't like Serena, but I do enjoy the character if that makes sense. I'm starting to wonder if there's any indignity she won't suffer to avoid confronting the damage her ideology's done. Fred needs her to come to Canada and play the part of a strong Gilead Wife, but when she actually was a strong woman, he assaulted her for it. Because God I guess.

Things I really liked:
    • Serena catching on immediately that encounter with the American representative wasn't a chance meeting.
    Dude, that picture was so harsh and I loved it. I'm with you with Serena.
    Flukes said:
    Things I really liked:
    YESSSS to all of this!!!   That Luke scene (actually, all of Luke's scenes) were SO GOOD.  I was really hoping he was going to be able to land a punch on Fred, but it's probably better for him that he didn't.  

Btw, those were totally Chekhov's letters.  I think they're going to come back around on Nick and I think poor innocent little Eden *eyeroll - I don't like her* is going to be the one who brings them up to either Fred or Serena.  "I was straightening up his suitcase and he had a bundle of letters."  I don't think he makes it through this alive.
    russkellyFlukesElisa
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    @Michelle I think that's exactly how it'll go down. I think Eyeroll Eden sinks the boat for sure and Nick gets it. I hope they throw us a curve ball somehow and Nick smuggles both Serena and June out or something... Serena is guilty of a whole lot of shit. So many hands can be played! I love it!
    Michelle
  • This episode was probably my favorite so far. I’m with Flukes I still don’t like Serena but she’s very intriguing and I hope she can redeem herself to some degree. Oddly I feel the same about Aunt Lydia. 

I hate that Canada was considering working with Gilead at all. I wish I knew more about the Geography of Gilead and the strongholds surrounding it. I would like to know more about whatever resistance the US has left. 

I’ve binged through all this in a few days so this might just be me but is anyone else getting annoyed by the constant and long lasting close ups of Junes face? Her expressions are good but they are spamming the hell out of those and I think the story is best when they move away from those IMO. 

I can’t wait to see that Nick and Eden story play out. 

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    This episode was probably my favorite so far. I’m with Flukes I still don’t like Serena but she’s very intriguing and I hope she can redeem herself to some degree. Oddly I feel the same about Aunt Lydia. 

I hate that Canada was considering working with Gilead at all. I wish I knew more about the Geography of Gilead and the strongholds surrounding it. I would like to know more about whatever resistance the US has left. 

I’ve binged through all this in a few days so this might just be me but is anyone else getting annoyed by the constant and long lasting close ups of Junes face? Her expressions are good but they are spamming the hell out of those and I think the story is best when they move away from those IMO. 

I can’t wait to see that Nick and Eden story play out. 

I want to know more about Gilead and the recent history. I want maps. Timelines. The Gilead picture book full of all the stories Atwood scribbled while she was supposed to be finishing the last three books of the Handmaid's Tale series! I WANT IT ALL.
    NervousRhino