If you could rewatch a movie/TV show for the 1st time again

So back when I started the thread for single best season of TV I also thought about this quite a bit but figured I'd wait till that thread died down to start this one...

If you could watch any movie or TV show again for the 1st time what would it be?

Mine I would have to say is Fight Club.  I remember first watching that movie and when the big surprise was revealed I was blown away.  I had never read or even heard anything about the novels and I thought it was just a fairly straightforward plot.  Create a fight club, gain a cult following and cause mayhem (not like the state farm commercials).  Nope we're also going to create an amazing duel personality disorder situation with 2 amazing actors that portray their roles perfectly.  

I'd love to hear what other movies/TV shows people throw out on this topic.  

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Alternatively, if you could watch a TV show for the 2nd time immediately. Deadwood. ;)

For me, watching for the first time again? TV show? Rome. I'll have to think about a movie.

Doctor_Nick
  • MichelleMichelle California
    TV show:  Mad Men, Lost, Sex and the City, Friends.  They were equally thrilling to watch, in different ways.  I'd love to experience each one for the first time again.

Movie:  Hmm, this one's tough.  Maybe Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Forrest Gump, or When Harry Met Sally.
    awookiee
  • Michelle said:
    TV show:  Mad Men, Lost, Sex and the City, Friends.  They were equally thrilling to watch, in different ways.  I'd love to experience each one for the first time again.

Movie:  Hmm, this one's tough.  Maybe Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Forrest Gump, or When Harry Met Sally.
    That's interesting, for me I instinctively think of movies/shows with giant plot twists that I wish I could relive again for the first time.  Se7en is another movie that comes to mind. 
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I'm gonna get very specific. In the 1st season of Breaking Bad, Walt has Crazy 8 chained up in Jesse's basement. He brings a sandwich downstairs to him but has a coughing fit and passes out. When he wakes up he gathers the broken plate and brings it upstairs. Later he has a flash of insight and digs out the broken pieces and puts them back together. It takes the audience a moment to catch up to him but when we do we see that there's a huge jagged shard of the plate that's missing. This is an amazing moment, because Walt realizes that it's a life or death game that he's playing, and he realizes he's not getting out of the situation without getting blood on his hands. It's not flashy like Gus's death or super intricate like the train heist but it's a solid moment with tons of tension. I would like to see that again for the first time. 
    NervousRhinoJaimieTtelephoneofmadnessMurderbearDummyTaraC73PreservedKillickawookieeCretanBull
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    series finale of Six Feet Under and the episode 'Middle Ground' (Ep11) from Season 3 of The Wire.

movie wise, watching No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood in the theater weeks apart.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Chinaski said:
    ...the episode 'Middle Ground' (Ep11) from Season 3 of The Wire.

or you could just skip that episode and pretend Stringer Bell went on a long European holiday for the rest of the series ;)
    ChinaskiFreddy
  • Se7en and probably The Leftovers for me (though I had to think about Breaking Bad for a minute).
    cdriveFrakkin T
  • Season 1 Game of Thrones. I couldn't believe episode one ended with a child being pushed out a window! I was hooked. Then Ned on the steps of Baelor blew my away - the hero doesn't die without destroying the enemy first. I had read the books by the following seasons but I wish I could re-experience all the shocks from that first season. 
    Chrissy1125davemcbMurderbearDoctor_NickFrakkin Tawookiee
  • edited July 2018
    For TV show I would probably go with Black Sails and write myself a note not to judge it by the first season. 

For movie I guess I would go with Cast Away. Movies are hard because I haven’t been excited about them in 10 to 15 years and if I reach too far back they would be too dated to hold my interest. They wouldn’t have the same effect they had back then. The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) might be a good one too.  It’s hard! Movies are all mostly remakes or comic super hero now. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • All of the Investigative Discovery true crime shows.
    NervousRhino
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I thought about this and for a show the whole show would have to be finished because I would hate to have to wait for the show to run its course again. 

My choice would be The Americans, I think it was such a consistent show across its whole run. Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Wire would be close behind it. I agree with GOT S1 as a game breaker but it would frustrate me to watch all the way up to be current and then having to wait for the end of the show. 

As far as movies go I would love to watch the original Star Wars Trilogy again for the first time but I think the thrillers like Sixth Sense, Se7en or movies with twists like The Usual Suspects, Fight Club and The Departed would also be great to watch without any of the answers. 
  • Hmmm... Maybe Oldboy. That has a big reveal. Or Mulholland Drive -- it's got the best, most unexpected jump scare I've ever seen. It's shocking.

Chinaski
  • Frakkin T said:
    I'm gonna get very specific. In the 1st season of Breaking Bad, Walt has Crazy 8 chained up in Jesse's basement. He brings a sandwich downstairs to him but has a coughing fit and passes out. When he wakes up he gathers the broken plate and brings it upstairs. Later he has a flash of insight and digs out the broken pieces and puts them back together. It takes the audience a moment to catch up to him but when we do we see that there's a huge jagged shard of the plate that's missing. This is an amazing moment, because Walt realizes that it's a life or death game that he's playing, and he realizes he's not getting out of the situation without getting blood on his hands. It's not flashy like Gus's death or super intricate like the train heist but it's a solid moment with tons of tension. I would like to see that again for the first time. 
    I think for me it would be "One Minute", where Hank gets the phone call.

Or the True Detective episode where Rust goes into the projects.
    Frakkin TTaraC73Doctor_Nickdavemcb
  • Movie: Saving Private Ryan. The intensity of the first 30 minutes would be awesome to see again for the first time as well as the surprise deaths of characters throughout the movie.

TV: Hard to choose. Maybe Mr Robot S1. Stranger Things S1 was such a surprise as well. 
    Doctor_Nick
  • The Matrix- the same way I saw it the first time, two friends wanted to go, I had never heard or read anything about it, and I end up watching the best (?) science fiction movie since Star Wars, out of the blue.  

For TV:
    Season 2 of the Wire, Season 4 and 5 of Breaking Bad off the top of my head....
    JaimieTTravis
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    2 Lost episodes, both from season 1- Walkabout and Deus Ex Machina ... Walkabout because that final pan-down reveal of Locke in the wheelchair was seriously amazing. And Deus Ex Machina because that final shot of Locke crying over the hatch screaming and the light coming on gave the island (and the show!) a whole different meaning.

Breaking Bad season 1 episode 6, Crazy Handful of Nothing. This was the episode that really got me HOOKED and wanting to binge straight through the show!! The end with Walt’s fulminated mercury trick, running out of Tucco’s hideout with the cash and him walking towards his car with the building in ruins behind him... the start of the badassery and end of Walt’s hair!!

Movie, without a doubt, Jaws. To be able to see my all time favorite film with fresh eyes would be interesting. Also, The Godfather films and Pulp Fiction!
    Frakkin TMichelle
  • Leftovers, Breaking Bad, and The Wire are so effective on a rewatch that I would probably say Game of Thrones, especially if I could watch the show without book knowledge to see what that experience is like.

Movie, I would probably go with Inception or Memento.
    Frakkin T
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Home Alone
    Princess Mononoke 
    Air Wolf
    Silence of the Lambs
    Ringu

Stuff like that 
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    @Shum memento - good one! 
    Shum
  • Movie The Matrix. I remember being enveloped in the sound and visual effects, mirroring Neo's "Whoa."
    TV: Game of Thrones. I got impatient after S1, and read the books. I'd like to see the whole series without knowing any of what was to come.
    Shum
  • Season 1 Game of Thrones. I couldn't believe episode one ended with a child being pushed out a window! I was hooked. Then Ned on the steps of Baelor blew my away - the hero doesn't die without destroying the enemy first. I had read the books by the following seasons but I wish I could re-experience all the shocks from that first season. 
    I really do think the number 1 TV show that I'd love to watch again for the 1st time is Game of Thrones.  I didn't jump in until season 4 or 5 but the ONLY thing that was ruined for me was I knew Tyrion was still alive at that point.  I would absolutely love to watch the entire series from start to finish again without any prior knowledge. 

The Leftovers is also right up there with it.  But most of the shows mentioned also would be on that list, Breaking Bad, True Detective, Black Sails.  I have yet to watch The Wire so I luckily get to experience that for the first time and I haven't been spoiled by anything other than the different seasons take a different perspective. 
    mmmlemoncakes
  • I was anxious like a school boy on Breaking Bad first run Sundays. 

Breaking Bad
  • Can we do other things for the first time again? I'd like a do-over of the 90s.
    You want a 90's do-over?  How do you think I feel?

awookieeMichelleChinaskiDummymmmlemoncakes
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Can we do other things for the first time again? I'd like a do-over of the 90s.
    You want a 90's do-over?  How do you think I feel?

EPIC.  :grin:
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Lost, Twin Peaks, and The Wire.
This discussion has been closed.