New Hardcore History

Comments

• Aaaaand done. Don't fuck with Ancient Gauls. Unless you're Ancient Romans.
  • New video up on YouTube, about an hour long cut of a discussion about 1st vs 2nd World War Germany. 
    https://youtu.be/dvkFkJolsWA
    CretanBullHatorian
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    I struggled with his newest podcast.  It was just too boring for me (but non-modern history usually is to me).  I decided to re-listen to Blueprint for Armageddon again.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited December 2017
    By the way there’s now a Hardcore History: Adendum podcast. Sort of like short form HH episodes. 
    JaimieTFlukes
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
     New Hardcore History just dropped: "(Blitz) Painfotainment" -- Pain is at the root of most drama and entertainment. When does it get too real? This very disturbing and graphic show looks into case studies and asks some deep questions." 
  • I don’t see this anywhere?
  • Search for Dan Carlin hardcore history in your podcast app. It's not a bald move podcast 
  • I know that but thanks anyways. Apple podcasts doesn’t always update for some reason.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    This looks good. I wasn't able to finish the last one... too much overlap from previous podcasts. Which saddens me. I like it when he's topical, lately. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I listened to a couple hours of Painfotainment while doing housework and making dinner today. I found the progression from spectacle to ritual and back to spectacle really fascinating.

It'll probably take me a couple days to finish the other TWO AND A HALF HOURS as I'll be at work but maybe I can find something suitable mindless to do tomorrow. I can hardly wait, but tonight is Disco night for me and Michael Burnham.

• AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited January 2018
    elgat0 said:
    During the podcast, Dan referenced John von Neumann as possibly the smartest man of his time and one of the  originators of game theory.  Out of curiousity, I read his Wikipedia page.  It was a humbling experience.  At age 6 he could divide 8 digit numbers in his head.".

Jeez if my teachers had me doing that at age 6, I'd invent a computer too!
    Giovanni
  • New HH: Adendum out. Interview with Four-star general and former Air Force Chief-of-Staff Merrill McPeak. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    How is it? In the context of Dan Carlin, that is. I already know it's better than a Joe Rogan podcast episode.
  • It’s interesting, he asks some military history questions and some modern strategy questions and some general philosophical questions. 
  • New addendum about WWI is out. 
    CretanBull
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited July 2018
    New Hardcore History out "Supernova in the East" Japan in WW2 - This is going to be good!

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-62-supernova-in-the-east-i/

I

JaimieTDoctor_NickGiovanniHatorianFlukesKingKobra
  • New Hardcore History out "Supernova in the East" Japan in WW2 - This is going to be good!

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-62-supernova-in-the-east-i/

I

perfect timing. I just started "Retribution" by Max Hastings which covers the last couple years of the Pacific war. I also have Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed" on deck. 
  • @Hatorian My Brother has been reccomending 'With the Old Breed' for awhile now, think it would make a good companion piece! Let me know what you think of Retribution, I usually enjoy Max Hasting stuff

• @Hatorian My Brother has been reccomending 'With the Old Breed' for awhile now, think it would make a good companion piece! Let me know what you think of Retribution, I usually enjoy Max Hasting stuff

Yea. Inferno from hastings is a masterpiece if you want a single book that covers the entire war. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Another monster from Dan Carlin. I'll be re-listening to this one. This is information-dense, even for HCH.

So picked up With the Old Breed just taking a break from Retribution and I’m 100 pages in on day 1. It’s great. Your bro is right. 
    edited August 2018
    @Hatorian
    I've ordered With the Old Breed, so looking forward to diving into it, honestly I've not ready anywhere near enough from the Pacific Theatre 

I've got Inferno but not read it yet, liked Overlord, just finished  The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich Book by William L. Shirer, a good comprehensive history with that focus.  The court of the red Tsar by Sebag Montefiore is pretty easy reading and gives context on the story of the Eastern front overall would recommend both!
    Hatorian
  • @FlashGordon

we might need to do a mini book club. I have Rise and Fall as well but it’s a beast of a book. But I will eventually get to it. 

im finishing up Churchill, Hitler and the Unnecessary War and it’s real interesting just how stupid everyone in power was during the 1900s-1940s. 

Another good book similar to Old Breed is The Forgotten Soldier. Is basically the equivalent but from a German Wermacht soldier on the Eastern Front. Highly reccomend. 

• Also reading Old Breed and then watching the HBO series Paciifc really helped visiualize the book. There’s some differences but it does seem they took real care to honor Sledge’s experiences for the most part. 
    edited August 2018
    @Hatorian Sorry for the delayed response, I was worried with the Old Breed might just sit on a shelf, but I started it this week and flying through it! What a book and I've not been able to put it down, will definitely give the Pacific a watch after i've finished.

Rise and Fall is such a good book, but pretty difficult to read in parts because of the subject matter, but I got a much better understanding of the 'Why?' of it all from the German perspective.

I'm up for giving the forgotten solider a try after this, any more recommendations i'm keen, have you ever done the 'Men at Arnhem'? Another from my bro?

Hatorian
  • @Hatorian Sorry for the delayed response, I was worried with the Old Breed might just sit on a shelf, but I started it this week and flying through it! What a book and I've not been able to put it down, will definitely give the Pacific a watch after i've finished.

Rise and Fall is such a good book, but pretty difficult to read in parts because of the subject matter, but I got a much better understanding of the 'Why?' of it all from the German perspective.

I'm up for giving the forgotten solider a try after this, any more recommendations i'm keen, have you ever done the 'Men at Arnhem'? Another from my bro?

No. I’ve ordered a few more 1st hand account books. I’ve found myself eating these alive where the historical books are taking me a bit longer to get through. The reviews for both books below looked good so excited to get them. 

Sniper on the Eastern Front: the memoirs of Sepp Allerbeegerger

Panzer Commander: the memoirs of colonel Hans van luck

FlashGordon
  • New Adendum out about the sinking of the Indianapolis during WWII
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 2018
    Alkaid13 said:
    New Adendum out about the sinking of the Indianapolis during WWII
    Not sure if he mentions this, havent listened yet. but the Indianopolis was the ship that carried the parts of the first atomic bomb to the airfield. lots of what ifs and karma related questions...
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited October 2018
    burned through the "The Fourth Reich: And Operation Eclipse" by Patrick Delaforce. 

no its not a fictional history or anything weird. its basically the recounting of the final days of the war and covers the few weeks that Admiral Doenitz took over after the Fuhrer's death. Its very interesting to read about the struggles in Germany and the incoming onslaught of western and russian allies. the 20 something days of "the 4th reich" was a mess but it seemed most of the smart people knew they needed to hold off the Russians as much as possible while transfering as many germans as possible to safer parts of the country. Its also interesting to hear that the remaining German stronghold and last bastions of defense outside of the eastern front were actually not in Germany but in countries like Denmark, Holland and Norway.