Petty grievances

Comments

• @JaimieT Those fasteners are a pain in the ass. I definitely broke a couple trying to fix the automatic window on my old Camry. If I remember correctly the center pin should be loose, and once you snap in the outer rim you push in the pin to lock it. If the plastic breaks though, there's nothing to snap. The molding will probably stay popped in on it's on though. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @JaimieT Those fasteners are a pain in the ass. I definitely broke a couple trying to fix the automatic window on my old Camry. If I remember correctly the center pin should be loose, and once you snap in the outer rim you push in the pin to lock it. If the plastic breaks though, there's nothing to snap. The molding will probably stay popped in on it's on though. 

I looked those up afterwards and yes, I'm almost positive I broke them! I'll see how it drives, and I guess I can always buy new ones if it bothers me. Thanks!
  • Grab/Uber Drivers immediately accepting your booking when they are 10 minutes away and there’s like 5 cars within 2 minutes of you. Such a dick move. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I work at a golf course and I’m extremely introverted, which usually works out fine, I hop on a mower or tractor or whatever in the morning and don’t have to talk to anyone unless it’s directly work related.  Except for lunch, oh god lunch.  I’ve taken to going on lunch when I know no one else will be around.  Nope, someone finds me.  Then I started taking break in my car, but nope people would come talk at me.  Lately I’ve been hiding in the woods off our back service road, but today a guy tracked me down and talked at me...  Jesus Christ, I was just literally interrupted writing this post about how I hate to be bothered on lunch, for the second time this lunch break (!!!), by two guys who wanted to chat.  I don’t even know what to say about that.  What do you call something that’s equally hilarious and frustrating?
    ChinaskiFreddyNervousRhino
  • akritenbrink said:
    That sucks. I'm not an introvert but I like my alone time. People need to adhere to the golden rule of when you're off the clock, it's your time to spend how  you choose.

One trick I like to do though is to get them talking about something that they can go on and on about, and then I can just sit there and listen and not really have to use any energy whatsoever. I think I learned this through many years of marriage. LOL
    Unfortunately due to my introverted nature any conversation, even one that is utterly one sided which is honestly what all of these lunch conversations are, is completely exhausting and draining.  I recharge by being alone, by not engaging with other people.  And even just sitting there while someone blabs at me about whatever random crap they find fascinating requires a lot of energy from me.  I’ve found that I can make it through the day easier if I skip lunch because it’s less tiring to work 8 hours straight with an audiobook or podcasts as my only companions than it is to deal with real people for 30 min.

That said, I couldn’t agree more with you about people following the golden rule of letting you do what you want when you’re off the clock.  With any luck I’ll be out of this job very soon (please god, please!!) and this will all become a funny anecdote and nothing more.
    Chinaski
  • I work at a golf course and I’m extremely introverted, which usually works out fine, I hop on a mower or tractor or whatever in the morning and don’t have to talk to anyone unless it’s directly work related.  Except for lunch, oh god lunch.  I’ve taken to going on lunch when I know no one else will be around.  Nope, someone finds me.  Then I started taking break in my car, but nope people would come talk at me.  Lately I’ve been hiding in the woods off our back service road, but today a guy tracked me down and talked at me...  Jesus Christ, I was just literally interrupted writing this post about how I hate to be bothered on lunch, for the second time this lunch break (!!!), by two guys who wanted to chat.  I don’t even know what to say about that.  What do you call something that’s equally hilarious and frustrating?
    Jumping off from this, what the fuck kind of sociopath thinks a BATHROOM is a place to converse. 

NO FUCKING TALKING IN THE BATHROOMS PEOPLE! WE'RE IN THERE FOR A SPECIFIC AND PRIVATE REASON! 
    telephoneofmadnessChinaskiFreibergMichelletom_gcdrive
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited July 2018
    @freiberg.justin I work in a job where I have to speak to people all day, so I HATE people talking to me on breaks. I just want to sit in peace and read a book. Trouble is, even though I am clearly reading, I still get people trying to chat to me. I’ve taken to wearing headphones with just white noise playing to drown out the chat around me, and also so I can pretend to not hear people if they try to engage me. I don’t make eye contact when I’m on a break - I keep my eyes firmly down on my book or my phone. I’m sure some people think it’s rude, but I don’t care. This is my time and I don’t give a fuck about the football, the weather, or what they’re doing on the weekend. 
    Freiberg
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    just look annoyed. during work you look busy and on breaks you're unapproachable.

DeeMichelleFreddy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski My whole working life is basically The Book Of George. 
    ChinaskiMichelleFreddyTaraC73
    edited July 2018
    Dee said:
    @Chinaski My whole working life is basically The Book Of George. 
    same!

edit: TENNILLE!!
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 2018
    Current situation:  in the Taco Bell drive thru ( thanks to the ‘Things you miss...’ thread I’m craving it) and they are apparently having equipment malfunctions, which means we’re all out here waiting a bit longer than normal (which is understandable, no big).  But - cut to the car 2 ahead of me ordering 7 of the multi-pack boxes (which is essentially then 70 tacos or burritos or a combo of them, whatever) as well as some other combo meals.  Ok - first rule of the drive thru (besides kind of knowing what you want, so maybe it’s the second rule?) - if you’re ordering enough food to feed a small village, don’t do it in the drive thru where everyone’s just trying to get in and out and go home, especially after 5pm when the line is crazy long already.  :neutral:
    Freiberg
    Michelle said:
    Current situation:  in the Taco Bell drive thru ( thanks to the ‘Things you miss...’ thread I’m craving it) and they are apparently having equipment malfunctions, which means we’re all out here waiting a bit longer than normal (which is understandable, no big).  But - cut to the car 2 ahead of me ordering 7 of the multi-pack boxes (which is essentially then 70 tacos or burritos or a combo of them, whatever) as well as some other combo meals.  Ok - first rule of the drive thru (besides kind of knowing what you want, so maybe it’s the second rule?) - if you’re ordering enough food to feed a small village, don’t do it in the drive thru where everyone’s just trying to get in and out and go home, especially after 5pm when the line is crazy long already.  :neutral:
    yikes! if that woulda happened to me i think i would have been more sad than angry.

Image result for angry in drive thru gif
    Michelle
    edited July 2018
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    yikes! if that woulda happened to me i think i would have been more sad than angry.

That's a pretty sad day when you just bust out crying in the middle of a drive thru!  :bawling: :joy:  lol

Chinaski
    edited July 2018
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

That's a pretty sad day when you just bust out crying in the middle of a drive thru!  :bawling: :joy:  lol

cherry on top sadness is getting home after waiting forever to find that they got your order wrong. womp. womp.
    MichelleFreiberg
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

cherry on top sadness is getting home after waiting forever to find that they got your order wrong. womp. womp.
    I had to pick out all of the tomatoes!  How do people eat those things???  :mask:
    Freiberg
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 2018
    I work at a golf course and I’m extremely introverted, which usually works out fine, I hop on a mower or tractor or whatever in the morning and don’t have to talk to anyone unless it’s directly work related.  Except for lunch, oh god lunch.  I’ve taken to going on lunch when I know no one else will be around.  Nope, someone finds me.  Then I started taking break in my car, but nope people would come talk at me.  Lately I’ve been hiding in the woods off our back service road, but today a guy tracked me down and talked at me...  Jesus Christ, I was just literally interrupted writing this post about how I hate to be bothered on lunch, for the second time this lunch break (!!!), by two guys who wanted to chat.  I don’t even know what to say about that.  What do you call something that’s equally hilarious and frustrating?
    How do you like the job overall? I love the hell out of playing golf, and have thrown around the idea of working part time at one just for the free golf. Not sure what I would do. Probably just be behind the pro shop counter. Those guys look like the least stressed people on the planet.
  • Michelle said:
    Every now and then just the guys get together for a concert or a show somewhere and I typically play sober cab.  White Castle is always the go to spot on the way back home.  We always get a crave case but I also always make it a point to call ahead so it's ready to go when we get there.  I don't think White Castle's dining room part of it is open 24 hours but their drive through is but I always make sure to call ahead just for the exact reason you just brought up.  It's just common courtesy and I feel like they are less likely to spit in my burgers if I call it ahead ; ) I don't want a large Farva I want a god damn liter of cola.
    MichelleNervousRhino
  • Freddy said:
    I work at a golf course.
    How do you like the job overall? I love the hell out of playing golf, and have thrown around the idea of working part time at one just for the free golf. Not sure what I would do. Probably just be behind the pro shop counter. Those guys look like the least stressed people on the planet.
    You know, you caught me at a funny time.  I actually put in my two week notice today, so take my answer with that in mind.

I was a greenskeeper for 5 years and I liked the majority of the work but I disliked the company I worked for.  We were a Top 200 nationally ranked (US) course and it was too stressful for me, it always felt like we were on the edge of panic and only got worse during tournaments and events.  As a private course it felt very backwards, like going there was traveling back in time, and that included how the staff was treated.  But the best parts, the actual maintaining of the course was great and I loved to mow and roll greens and generally make the holes perfect.

If you’re looking for part time work I don’t know a single course that isn’t hiring, however that’s the grounds department.  The pro shop is definitely the cushiest job on the course so it’s a hard spot to get.  But most high end courses are looking for bodies to mow greens on the weekend days, it’s usually like 5-8am and then you can golf for free.  It’s a pretty good deal, plus you get paid to walk a couple miles and a little excercise is always a plus.
    Freddy
    bank sent me a new debt card out of the blue because my old one 'may have been part of a data compromise'. now i hafta update all my online payment info for the bills i pay online. i'm annoyed :#
    MichelleDee
    Uh... what does it say about you as a person when you lose at the game of Life against an 11 year old and a 12 year old???  :cry: :lol:  
    DeecdriveFreddy
    uhh i lost a game of Trouble (the PopoMatic bubble) to a 6 year old last week. i have no sympathy for you @Michelle
    Michellecdrive
  • Michelle said:
    Uh... what does it say about you as a person when you lose at the game of Life against an 11 year old and a 12 year old???  :cry: :lol:  
    Eat a candy bar before dinner, just because you're an adult and you feel like it.  Then ask them who's winning at the game of life.
    MichelleFreibergasmallcatcdriveawookieeFreddyDani_Armindo
  • I've got a kind of petty grievance...more of a mystery.  Why isn't King of the Hill on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon or streaming anywhere but youtube?  Somebody should be making money off this show, but they aren't. 
    Dee
  • Chinaski said:
    bank sent me a new debt card out of the blue because my old one 'may have been part of a data compromise'. now i hafta update all my online payment info for the bills i pay online. i'm annoyed :#
    This is a good tool to check for breaches: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Always a bummer when you find out you may have been compromised. :(
    Chinaski
  • ken hale said:
    I've got a kind of petty grievance...more of a mystery.  Why isn't King of the Hill on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon or streaming anywhere but youtube?  Somebody should be making money off this show, but they aren't. 
    That it weird. I think it was on netflix as of, like, last year. 

It looks like comedy central now has the syndication rights. Looks like you can stream some episodes on their sight if you have a cable login that has comedy central.

PS - The Dog Dancing episode is IMO the best episode of the show, and one of the best comedy TV episodes of all time. 
    ken hale
This discussion has been closed.