2001: A Space Odyssey in IMAX

kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
edited August 2018 in Movies
Just FYI in case any one didn't know and is interested. Its coming back in theaters for 1 week. I am going to see it tomorrow. Pretty excited.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/stanley-kubrick-2001-a-space-odyssey-imax-1202892054/

FreibergFlashGordon

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Seeing it tonight! w00000000000t. <--- trying to get myself psyched for a movie that I know can be a little sloggy in parts, then again maybe I'm older and more patient than when I first saw it.
    KingKobraFreibergkuman07
  • I have only seen it once and hardly remember it because it was so long ago.  I will for sure be going to see this in theaters sometime over the weekend.  I was quite excited when I saw this advertisement on AMC.  Thank you A-List.
    kuman07
  • Definitely see this one the big screen if you get the chance. I've been fortunate enough to see it in 70mm a few times, but IMAX is always good too! 
    JaimieT
    Intermission.

Jesus Christ this movie is slow.
    edited August 2018
    I understand this movie, but it is not my jam.

There's elements in it that I really enjoy though, which is why I even rewatched it. The HAL quarter is really fun, and taken by itself it wouldn't seem slow. I lose patience there because the rest of the movie has worn me out. My second favorite quarter is the first one, with the apes. I think these are meant to parallel each other though. These sections have the most conflict and struggle. I saw the killing of Hal like the defeat of the leopard that devoured the ape, or the killing of the ape to take back the water hole, a thing to overcome on our path forward.

But otherwise, it's so slow! And I like contemplative movies. Tree of Life is in my top 5. Perhaps I'm just a victim of my distracted era.

The movie was beautiful to look at. The apes have aged perfectly. There's many parts where we're looking at spaceships from the outside in and Kubrick has patched one shot on top of, or behind, another. These would shake a little, betraying themselves. I wonder why in the restoration this wasn't fixed? Surely such a minor thing to account for the scrutiny HD invites would not be considered George Lucas'ing.

I'm really glad that rewatch is over with. I think I like every Kubrick film I've seen more than this one.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I know this is a seminal movie, but hearing how slow it is from a ton of sources at this point just has not made me get amped up enough to see it. It is probably one of those that I will just never get around to. 
  • I know this is a seminal movie, but hearing how slow it is from a ton of sources at this point just has not made me get amped up enough to see it. It is probably one of those that I will just never get around to. 
    It’s a classic genre movie that was and still is used as inspiration for many movies and TV shows. Is it slow? Yes it can be very much so. As @JaimieT points out it is played out in “quarters”, so it can be broken down. While I do like it, I don’t love it so I don’t watch it often (even if on TV). I’ll be picking up the 4K disc to see how well the new master does, but it’s a movie I have to be in the right frame of mind for. If things start dragging they will REALY drag for you. In some ways I think you can say the same about The Shining or Full Metal Jacket, but both of those have more action/suspense than 2001. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, Full Metal Jacket is pretty much a movie told in two parts if memory serves. And The Shining is no short movie. I really fucking love The Shining, but it is a time investment. 
    FlashGordon
  • So excited this is coming back to theaters. Gonna see it in 70mm next week
    edited August 2018
    I know this is a seminal movie, but hearing how slow it is from a ton of sources at this point just has not made me get amped up enough to see it. It is probably one of those that I will just never get around to. 

I think there might be no better time to watch it though. But if you're fine never seeing certain classics, skip it I guess. There are classics I skip, but I'm too much of a sci-fi fanatic not to be familiar with 2001.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No 3D? I though it was 11D. Dig deeper millenials
  • I know this is a seminal movie, but hearing how slow it is from a ton of sources at this point just has not made me get amped up enough to see it. It is probably one of those that I will just never get around to. 
    I know it sounds a bit cliche, but if you read the book first the movie is a lot better imo.

All the 'slow' parts have a lot of internal narration going on that in the movie is left as quiet reflection.
    FlashGordon
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited August 2018
    Would kill to see this, I managed to get my hands on an original screenplay with notes once’s, and early versions were much more inline with the book.

its the 50th anniversary, I tried asking about it on a lunch a couple of times , to hear Jim and Aron’s experience with the movie but don’t think they got round to it

Disclaimer 2001 is my favourite movie , like a lot of Kubrick , it can be slow at times you’ve just got to sit back and let it wash over you , the overall experience is more rewarding than anything I’ve ever seen from any other director.

kuman07
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Went and saw it this past Saturday and I had seen it previously but it was a long time ago and I was younger so I didn't remember a lot of the stuff in it, entirely possible I never finished it actually. I really enjoyed this movie.  I think you can really see the influence it had on future films in that genre and why it's held in such high regard. And I never really felt like it was slow in my opinion, I was focused and it held my attention the entire film. I really liked how it doesn't really come and tell you like "this is the meaning of the film" or "this is what you should get out of it". I felt like it really left it up to each viewer to decide that for themselves. That can be maddening at times but if done well, which I think this film did, it can be a great experience. 
    JaimieT
  • Just got out. I’ve seen this Film twice before. I didn’t really get it. But seeing it in 70mm in an empty theater. Damn. I can say one of my favorite films now. Honestly. Just a spectacle to witness. I don’t know exactly what I just saw, but that’s not the point. Just let it wash over you with the visuals and sounds.
    JaimieT
  • Seeing this in IMAX was quite an experience, a true spectacle. It's unbelievable how well the effects hold-up, and the epic scale of the music and visuals washing over me made this a memory I won't forget. I highly recommenced any movie lovers check this out tonight before it's gone from IMAX. 
    JaimieT
    ^^ Agreed with both of these. I was reviewing the movie earlier. My dissatisfaction was not with the IMAX experience. That was powerful and worth every penny.
    KingKobra
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.