4.06 Piñata

2»

Comments

• Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    No one could have predicted that the guy who promised to "keel" Walter's "inphant dottir" would turn out to be a stone psycho :)
    Murderbear
    edited September 2018
    You are not the Kai. You are not capable of being the Kai. I had a Kai, but now I don't. You. Are not. The Kai.

Zsa004Freddyadobo1148JoshuaHeter
  • You are not the Kai. You are not capable of being the Kai. I had a Kai, but now I don't. You. Are not. The Kai.

Brilliant!!!!
    Natter Cast
  • Hatorian said:
    If you're watching that on your phone, how did you take that picture?
    With my Robtronic eye....

in reality my wifes phone. 
  • I hate to be an argumentative Archie, but I’m pretty sure that the listener who wrote in and said that data and mobile browsing wasn’t a thing in the early 2000s is wrong. I distinctly remember having a T-Mobile Sidekick with unlimited web browsing for something like $59.99 a month. 

It sticks out in my mind because it occurred to me, that while I was at an amusement park waiting on a long line, that t was amazing that I could browse the internet and keep up with my fantasy football scores. I’m also pretty sure that it was in 2003 because I went with coworkers from that time period. 
    Chinaskighm3JoshuaHeter
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited September 2018
    I feel like it's hard to judge Mike's reaction to finding out Gus is a killer since he wasn't there for the murder of Ponytail and we don't actually know what's going to happen with ze Germans. But I think there is a huge difference between killing a rival drug dealer's lackey and Victor, who was Gus' right hand man for years. And Mike might have gotten to know him well and even liked since he worked with him for a long time too.

And I personally don't feel like they are changing Gus that much. Sure, the Victor incident was the only time we saw him literally get his own hands dirty but we also have the Don Eladio incident and the Juan Bolsa incidents to show us that he is as cold as they come. Was his monologue in the dark to Don Hector a bit overly dramatic? Sure. But I don't think they were showing us anything we didn't already know.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    The box-cutter situation was also something where Gus's actions were so contra to what Mike was expecting. So it probably wasn't shock at murder. But more just who was going to get murdered. He and Victor had just spent all this time hunting Walt and Jesse down after they had been feuding with Gus, he had no reason to believe it would be Victor who 

(This may have been mentioned in the cast proper, I haven't got to it yet)
    Murderbear
    Weird that Gus spoke English to Hector. 
    Kela15
  • Weird that Gus spoke English to Hector. 
    Hector hates that. It was an extra f*** you.
    Natter Cast
  • tom_g said:
    What is the mark up on a pre-paid phone, and how many does Jimmy have to sell before this is worth his time?  Not exactly blue Meth type money.

I really like that there is not a clear Jimmy v Chuck theme to this season - seems like the direction for the second half of the season is wide open.

Jimmy's main value added service for the cell phones, which he mentioned in the last episode, is that cell phones purchased from him will be even harder to trace.  I don't remember what season of the Wire it was when the police staked out the people Barksdale was using to buy the burners and then started working on getting numbers from the convenience stores and gas stations -  I don't know if any criminal in 2003-2004 Albequerque 

Andrew said:
    I hate to be an argumentative Archie, but I’m pretty sure that the listener who wrote in and said that data and mobile browsing wasn’t a thing in the early 2000s is wrong. I distinctly remember having a T-Mobile Sidekick with unlimited web browsing for something like $59.99 a month. 

It sticks out in my mind because it occurred to me, that while I was at an amusement park waiting on a long line, that t was amazing that I could browse the internet and keep up with my fantasy football scores. I’m also pretty sure that it was in 2003 because I went with coworkers from that time period. 

Yeah, I had a pre-2002 Motorola Timeport (Startac followup) on MCI (Verizon rebrand) service that had text internet browsing.  Hot.
    Andrew
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited September 2018
    So (to me), the Germans’ housing / rec-center is kind of like the super-lab of this show. It’s a large, well thought out complex (closely monitored and out of view of the authorities and the public at large) put together for the purposes of carrying out a criminal operation. 

I don’t know if this was intentional, but this seems like best sort of prequel / sequel storytelling (creating a familiar tone or narrative through interesting but subtle parallels).

Of course, I can’t leave it at that. I have to use this to make the farfetched prediction that Kai will bring back a few girls to the German rec-center, and Tyrus will have to “send them on a bus back to Honduras” like Walt’s cleaning crew of women in Breaking Bad.
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    This week's movie reference: Titus, "Hark Ye Villains..."

Laura Fraser the Glaswegian lass!
    hypergenesb
  • So (to me), the Germans’ housing / rec-center is kind of like the super-lab of this show. It’s a large, well thought out complex (closely monitored and out of view of the authorities and the public at large) put together for the purposes of carrying out a criminal operation. 

I don’t know if this was intentional, but this seems like best sort of prequel / sequel storytelling (creating a familiar tone or narrative through interesting but subtle parallels).

Of course, I can’t leave it at that. I have to use this to make the farfetched prediction that Kai will bring back a few girls to the German rec-center, and Tyrus will have to “send them on a bus back to Honduras” like Walt’s cleaning crew of women in Breaking Bad.
    I don’t see how Kai or anyone gets out at all. Thought that was the whole point. 

Also what girl would be crazy enough to say yes to an old weird grumpy man saying I’ll pay you to have sex with Germans but first put on this blindfold and earmuffs and drive 700 miles somewhere...