US Politics Vol. 6: A Song of Fire and Fury - The Winds of Midterms

1727375777882

Comments

  • adobo1148 said:
    Does anyone else think its weird that 5000 refugees are suddenly making their way to the Southetn border 2 weeks before a midterm? I'm don't like being conspiratorial, I find the timing oughly convenient given,.......well,.........everything!!!!!!!! 
    I'm having a nightmare vision of The Death Cure scene when the Aiden Gillen orders the guns atop the wall aimed at the protesters outside the city.
  • https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/10/22/18007978/trump-administration-lgbtq-transgender-discrimination-civil-rights

    Who would have thought that, Donald Trump, Champion of the LGBT community, would turn out to be such a fucking asshole. Oh that’s right, everyone. 
    CretanBullTravis
  • It’s shit like this that makes it pretty difficult to have common cause with the Republican Party right now, with all the actual problems facing us one of the two major political parties is still trying to deny people the right to identify themselves in the ways they choose. I mean, what the fuck else is there to say when this is still mainstream Republican policy?
  • I really want someone to make an honest effort to explain why the fuck removing the rights of Transgender people is the thing we should be doing right now. Seriously someone make me cohesive argument that forcing people to confine themselves to a gender they don’t agree with is of the utmost important to maintaining the stability of the US. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I really want someone to make an honest effort to explain why the fuck removing the rights of Transgender people is the thing we should be doing right now. Seriously someone make me cohesive argument that forcing people to confine themselves to a gender they don’t agree with is of the utmost important to maintaining the stability of the US. 
    It will drive hateful bigots to the poll, who all vote republican. That's the extent of it. If the GOP could net 1000 votes arguing that all non-white citizens should be denaturalized and deported, they would do it in a second. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 2018
    No I understand the political calculations involved, I mean I want a Republican voter to explain why this is a good thing that they’re happy about. Although I suppose that’s like asking someone to defend their irrational bigotry and hatred of other people. 
    Travis
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    edited October 2018
    adobo1148 said:
    Does anyone else think its weird that 5000 refugees are suddenly making their way to the Southetn border 2 weeks before a midterm? I'm don't like being conspiratorial, I find the timing oughly convenient given,.......well,.........everything!!!!!!!! 
    1. These “caravans” happen regularly as it’s safer than traveling alone and cheaper than paying “coyotes” to get you accross the border.
    2. The timing has nothing to do with our election. When you leave everything behind and take your children on a long and dangerous journey to flee violence, poverty, and oppression, you’re not checking your calendar for when the midterms in the US take place.
    3. The caravan is over 1,500 miles away at the southern border Mexico has with Guatemala. We’re 2 weeks from the election. They are not covering 100 miles a day. This can have no affect on our election at all except in that some folks want to pretend that it does.

    There isn’t evidence of “unknown middle easterners,” MS 13, criminals, etc. George Soros isn’t paying them to do it. They will probably disburse on their own due to logistical challenges while still hundreds of miles from our border, as has happened before.

    That this group of refugees with large numbers of women and children, shuffling northward toward hope, unarmed and unsupplied, probably 2-3 months away at best, is being treated as some kind of invasion that is a national emergency and may require the US Army to man the “battlements” and “seal” the border is a national embarrassment.
    CretanBullKate23
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    It's been made explicit many times in these forums. The position is "I don't care what happens to anyone else as long as I get what I want."

    If a Republican voter is not personally paying the price then the cost doesn't exist.

    While I was in the US last week, more than one colleague explained the difference between Republicans and Democrats to me. These sentiments were expressed to me sincerely by people who are basically intelligent, capable, and not obviously (to me) racist.

    Republicans are too busy working actual jobs to go out and protest. Democrats show up to protest because they have nothing better to do since they're all unemployed and living off the government.

    Republicans give a "hand up" to industrious hard-working people. Democrats give a "hand out" to people too lazy to work for a living or get a better job.

    Illegal migrants are sucking social security dry. When our cab driver (thankfully) pointed out you can't collect social security without a SSN, it became the children of illegal migrants (who are citizens) who are ruining social security.

    I didn't understand that health care was better before Obama because I wasn't grasping that they had a "FREE MARKET SYSTEM". Everything would be fixed if people could buy health care from out of state, thus providing more competition and allowing the free market to work.

    Plus many other offhand comments that I had to bite my tongue over. It was eye-opening to hear this stuff from people I considered very competent professionally. One woman is from Oklahoma and her children are black. She still supports Trump. The only explanation I can offer is that she truly believes there's nothing worse than a Democrat.
    CretanBullJaimieTLordByKate23Travis
  • Partisanship is a hell of a drug. 
    Travis
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    tom_g said:
    cdrive said:
    Holy. Fffffffucking SHIIIITTT. I just attempted to vote on the 1st day of early voting here in TX on my lunch break.  Usually this isn't a problem at my regular place near work.  That fucking line, and the amount of people....I have never seen anything like it when I typically early vote.  That line was 5 times longer. Had to park in a neighborhood down the block.  I asked a few people at various points in the line how long they had been waiting and then I had to bail.  I'll be back this weekend. But oh man....  PEOPLE WERE CAMPED OUT at some places overnight in Houston like it's a fuckin' iPhone release or Black Friday at Best Buy.  Holy crap this is encouraging.  
    Did they look 'lefty' or 'righty
    Well typically non-voters lean left, and so a surge in voting, early or otherwise, I would think helps the democrats more...

    It's really hard to judge.  But check out the numbers:



    Almost beating out 2016 General Election 1st day early voting, and with 2.5 less hours of the polls being open.  



    JaimieTLordBy
  • LordBy said:
    adobo1148 said:
    Does anyone else think its weird that 5000 refugees are suddenly making their way to the Southetn border 2 weeks before a midterm? I'm don't like being conspiratorial, I find the timing oughly convenient given,.......well,.........everything!!!!!!!! 
    1. These “caravans” happen regularly as it’s safer than traveling alone and cheaper than paying “coyotes” to get you accross the border.
    2. The timing has nothing to do with our election. When you leave everything behind and take your children on a long and dangerous journey to flee violence, poverty, and oppression, you’re not checking your calendar for when the midterms in the US take place.
    3. The caravan is over 1,500 miles away at the southern border Mexico has with Guatemala. We’re 2 weeks from the election. They are not covering 100 miles a day. This can have no affect on our election at all except in that some folks want to pretend that it does.

    There isn’t evidence of “unknown middle easterners,” MS 13, criminals, etc. George Soros isn’t paying them to do it. They will probably disburse on their own due to logistical challenges while still hundreds of miles from our border, as has happened before.

    That this group of refugees with large numbers of women and children, shuffling northward toward hope, unarmed and unsupplied, probably 2-3 months away at best, is being treated as some kind of invasion that is a national emergency and may require the US Army to man the “battlements” and “seal” the border is a national embarrassment.
    Thank you for the insight. I guess I was just alarmed at The images being used by Republicans as a way of appealing to the xenophobic tendencies of the trump base. 
  • Yeah, it’s maddening that this caravan bunk isn’t being called out for the BS it is by all organizations that consider themselves to be the least bit journalistic. The boogeyman is a 10 year old girl with no shoes and nothing to eat slowing walking toward our border over more than a thousand miles of hostile geography.

    Whatever shall we do?!? This has to be stopped immediately!

    Some estimates have it growing to more than 7,000 refugees which is a scary image, but it’s <150 per state and if our generous Commander in Chief could find it in his heart to forego golf trips for a while we could afford to bring them in, grant them asylum, get them on their feet, give them a path to citizenship, and end up with some of the most productive grateful patriotic citizens you could imagine. To me that seems more “American” than setting up a line of tanks and machine gun nests to keep these poor families out while we build some big concrete wall.
    MrXCretanBull
  • If the Right didn’t act like every immigrant coming in to the country was a threat to the American way they’d lose their only leg to stand on vis a vis Immigration Enforcement because people would realize that the majority of the Democrats don’t even support open immigration, they’re just not insane like Republicans are about it. 
    CretanBull
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    What a fucking circus. Trump is in town. Driving back to the city on Sunday I see Tucker Carson on the marquee for Second Baptist Church. And now I just saw a live Twitter video of Alex Jones tonight  screaming at a piece of police horse shit on the concrete downtown before calling it Beto and spitting on it.  
  • cdrive said:
    What a fucking circus. Trump is in town. Driving back to the city on Sunday I see Tucker Carson on the marquee for Second Baptist Church. And now I just saw a live Twitter video of Alex Jones tonight  screaming at a piece of police horse shit on the concrete downtown before calling it Beto and spitting on it.  
    It's an embarrassment for this city we live in. I'm all for Beto and against Cruz but the main guy I want to see out on his ass is Dan Patrick. 

  • Well typically non-voters lean left, and so a surge in voting, early or otherwise, I would think helps the democrats more...

    It's really hard to judge.  But check out the numbers:



    Almost beating out 2016 General Election 1st day early voting, and with 2.5 less hours of the polls being open.  



    This is good news to me just from the view of turning around voter apathy. 
    In my state polls are only open one day BUT we now have a very aggressive (new Dem gov) mail-in ballot campaign: You get a mailer early on that you have to actively opt out of getting a mail-in ballot. Not responding to the mailer means you'll get a mail-in ballot for all future elections, with the option to change it online at any time. Somebody discovered how to appeal to laziness!
    These turnout numbers don't bode well for my work day tho lol ... it's a 16 hour day and in 2016 none of the 4 of us in my district were able to take a break. Lots of voter stupidity (provisional ballots were through the roof), but when you make a voter fill out a provisional it's like educating that voter about what they need to do next time. 
    Hopefully the mail-in ballot campaign will let me take my hour break
    cdriveJaimieT
  • Kate23 said:

    This is good news to me just from the view of turning around voter apathy. 
    In my state polls are only open one day BUT we now have a very aggressive (new Dem gov) mail-in ballot campaign: You get a mailer early on that you have to actively opt out of getting a mail-in ballot. Not responding to the mailer means you'll get a mail-in ballot for all future elections, with the option to change it online at any time. Somebody discovered how to appeal to laziness!
    These turnout numbers don't bode well for my work day tho lol ... it's a 16 hour day and in 2016 none of the 4 of us in my district were able to take a break. Lots of voter stupidity (provisional ballots were through the roof), but when you make a voter fill out a provisional it's like educating that voter about what they need to do next time. 
    Hopefully the mail-in ballot campaign will let me take my hour break

    You mention a democratic governor - that bring up a very important part of the 2018 midterms that isn't getting a ton of airtime (except for some of the high-profile races):

    A big result of this election could be that democrats gain a substantial number of governorships and also make gains in state legislatures. That is arguably the thing that Republicans used to greatest effect the last 8 years - they made huge gains in those areas and were able to enact a ton of state-level laws that make voting harder, along with a whole lot of other things. If we can win back state-level seats and governors, that trend can start to be reversed. Which would be huge once the 2020 census happens and the resulting redistricting will impact elections for the next 10 years.

    Right now 538's governor model predicts Democrats having 24 states after the election - up from the 16 they currently hold. 
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/governor
    Kate23Flukes
  • Well I just voted against my boy Mitt Romney...  Conservative Me from 5 years ago is rolling in his grave.  This is all of your faults!  All of your logic and rational arguments have turned me into a freakin' liberal!  Oh well, I guess I better get back to abolishing religion and destroying the family...
    JaimieTFlukesDeeCretanBullgguenotUnderwoodMarci
  • Shum said:
    Well I just voted against my boy Mitt Romney...  Conservative Me from 5 years ago is rolling in his grave.  This is all of your faults!  All of your logic and rational arguments have turned me into a freakin' liberal!  Oh well, I guess I better get back to abolishing religion and destroying the family...
    I'm having a baby eating party next weekend if you want to roll through. There will be goody bags with crucifix dildos and Plan B at the end (funded by George Soros shhhhhh)
    ShumFlukesCretanBullKate23April_May_Juneadobo1148UnderwoodMarci
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 2018
    Last week a pipe bomb was found at George Soros' residence - he of course is the focal point of much of conspiracy and vitriol on the right. And now suspicious packages have been intercepted by the Secret Service addressed to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

    Jobs not mobs, folks.
  • The left: stands up for equality and protests awful people in public
    The right: runs over people with cars and sends functional bombs to political enemies. 

    BUT 

    Both Sides, am I right?
    gguenotKate23CretanBull
  • MrX said:
    Last week a pipe bomb was found at George Soros' residence - he of course is the focal point of much of conspiracy and vitriol on the right. And now suspicious packages have been intercepted by the Secret Service addressed to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

    Jobs not mobs, folks.

    Another suspicious package (likely a bomb) has been found at Florida's DNC. 

  • Gan said:
    MrX said:
    Last week a pipe bomb was found at George Soros' residence - he of course is the focal point of much of conspiracy and vitriol on the right. And now suspicious packages have been intercepted by the Secret Service addressed to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

    Jobs not mobs, folks.

    Another suspicious package (likely a bomb) has been found at Florida's DNC. 

    Also to CNN in NYC 
  • LordBy said:
    Gan said:
    MrX said:
    Last week a pipe bomb was found at George Soros' residence - he of course is the focal point of much of conspiracy and vitriol on the right. And now suspicious packages have been intercepted by the Secret Service addressed to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

    Jobs not mobs, folks.

    Another suspicious package (likely a bomb) has been found at Florida's DNC. 

    Also to CNN in NYC 
    Thank god someone finally doing something about the true enemy here, journalists. 
  • GanGan
    edited October 2018
    LordBy said:
    Gan said:
    MrX said:
    Last week a pipe bomb was found at George Soros' residence - he of course is the focal point of much of conspiracy and vitriol on the right. And now suspicious packages have been intercepted by the Secret Service addressed to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

    Jobs not mobs, folks.

    Another suspicious package (likely a bomb) has been found at Florida's DNC. 

    Also to CNN in NYC 


    Hey, what's one more!? 

    Another one at the San Diego Union Tribune. 
    This is either the 5th package found, or the 6th if  the Debbie Wasserman-Schultz one was true.

    Fucking right wing terrorists think they're gonna scare progressives from voting. Fuck them and fuck no. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Queue my conspiracy music - Pretty convenient the state media outlet has been building this violent left-wing narrative over the past few weeks just in time to blame the escalation to actual violence on the victims themselves.

    You know, because yelling "Beto is way hotter" is the same as mailing a bomb.
  • No doubt the nutters will claim these FUNCTIONAL bombs are just false flags implanted by the left. 


  • Gan said:
    No doubt the nutters will claim these FUNCTIONAL bombs are just false flags implanted by the left. 
    I've already seen people in political Facebook groups saying that
  • GanGan
    edited October 2018
    A package was sent to Eric Holder. 

    Cowards. 

    EDIT: Apparently, this was the same package sent to Wasserman-Schultz' office and it had the wrong address so it was sent back to her office since it had her office on the return address. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada


    Gan said:
    No doubt the nutters will claim these FUNCTIONAL bombs are just false flags implanted by the left. 
    I've already seen people in political Facebook groups saying that
    To be honest, some of the things that are happening are so utterly astounding that this thought crosses even my mind occasionally.

    A good example is this Florida Man (tm) who groped a sleeping woman on a plane and reportedly told authorities "the President of the United States says it’s ok to grab women by their private parts." That's just so on-the-nose that I wondered, just for a moment, if that could be someone so invested in making a statement about Trump that they'd be willing to commit a crime they were absolutely going to be arrested for.

    Then I remember that this is just another example of Trump emboldening gross people to do gross things because  he's gross and he's getting away with it (which is gross.)

This discussion has been closed.