The Haunting of Hill House

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited October 2018
    Finished episode 8. Vague to avoid spoilers, but if you haven't seen it don't read this.

The roadside soliloquy/confession was amazing. And the jump scare right before it, in the car, during the argument, is the first one I liked. I think because it fit with the tone of the scene... there wasn't this laborious lead-up.
    edited October 2018
    gguenot said:
    Break neck lady was a solid episode, same with ep. 6

So far that's the best moment. I don't think I'll ever forget it. Absolutely stunning, that last bit. Like worse than any vision of hell I've ever seen.
    gguenothisdudeness915hitmy
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited October 2018
    I've been a little sad for the past week that my wife and I binged the entire season that first weekend that the show was released. Not many shows can get me all up in my feelings like this one did. It was easier, I guess, because youngest daughter Nell reminded me of my 4 year old.

If I could find a good podcast on the episodes, I would have an excuse to watch again.
    JaimieTgguenotElisa
  • JaimieT said:
    Finished episode 8. Vague to avoid spoilers, but if you haven't seen it don't read this.

The roadside soliloquy/confession was amazing. And the jump scare right before it, in the car, during the argument, is the first one I liked. I think because it fit with the tone of the scene... there wasn't this laborious lead-up.
    That one literally made me hover 3 inches above my chair. Good lord. THAT is how you do a jump scare. I feel like with jump scares you have to set the tone early, just so that you let the viewer know that it’s on the table. That builds the suspense because the threat is always there. Then, you back off a bit so that suspense builds and when you finally hit em with one, it really works. If I remember correctly, the one you’re referencing was the first one for a while. Also, the creepy background ghosts set a record for most chills up my spine in a 24 hr period. 
    Underwood
  • https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/haunting-hill-house-hidden-ghosts-secrets-background/amp/

Hidden ghosts in every flashback scene. In case you thought you were seeing things. 
    JaimieTElisa
  • I do wish the guys would cover this.
    UnderwoodgguenotElisachriskAll the Chickens
    edited October 2018
    7/10

As of episode 9, I was ready to rate this the best of the horror genre I'd ever seen, but it did not stick the landing for me. In no particular order...

• To have our characters finally in the red room but then take us out of the red room via those hallucinations, one after the other, was infuriating. Worse, the hallucinations didn't make sense to me. They didn't have consistency so I wasn't sure what the point was.
    • It stretches credulity that young Luke kept seeing a blonde girl but no one thought to ask if it was the Dudley's girl. I actually like the inserted memory of the treehouse, because I can believe that Luke would play in a treehouse and not mention it to his parents, but we see him mentioning the girl a lot. Also as a previously homeschooled, Christian girl surrounded by similar girls and indoctrinated to believe many things, including information about how I shouldn't go to certain places, the rebellious types were nothing like that girl.
    • The agreement between the Dudleys and the dad rang hollow for the previous mentioned issue, but also the sudden and unexplained change of mind they had about the goodness of the house.
    • I loved the ending of episode 5, but the series ending undermines how disturbing it is, sterilizes it.
    • The last 10 or so minutes were tone-deaf.
    • The house seems pretty great to me. Sign me up! The story wants it both ways... wants us to be terrified of the house but gives us no reason to think the mother, father and sister are suffering there. This was underlined by the fact the Dudleys chose to die there. I guess that would be the logical thing for all the Crains to come, but no one's talking about it.
    • Why were some ghosts violent and others weren't? (rhetorical)
    • Why did the bent neck lady have special significance in following Nell around but Luke's ghost was nobody? Why wasn't the dad followed around by himself too? Or the mother by herself, during the flashbacks? (rhetorical)
    • The older brother just lets/observes the dad OD with no argument or protest, but Luke OD'ing is considered the utmost tragedy. No one talks about it afterward. I wasn't aware they hated their dad quite that much, or had such a unique fixation on Luke.

Those were just a few disappointments I had after one night's rumination. Up until the last episode, I thought this was a brilliant exploration of family secrets, mental health and sibling relationships. But it didn't come together for me.

As I feared, the cheap jump scares were a good indication of the how well the story stands on its own. They are no longer baffling to me.

telephoneofmadness
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    The ending was a little muddled maybe, but I was fine with it. I thought the Dudleys' choice made sense given they were old and/or dying at that point and they wanted to be together. The house seemed to want to kill it's residents and make them stay, from what I could gather, though that seems dependent on the person.

I was a little confused about William, who I think is the one who walled himself up. Then later there was some mention of him wishing to be extremely tall, which led me to think he was the man in the bowler hat and that was like a form he chose. But then I also thought he might be the kid in the wheelchair.

I thought the Dad staying was sort of a deal he made to get the kids out, and at least Steve understood that was his choice.

Horror endings are almost uniformly unsatisfying to me - either everyone dies which makes the whole thing seem pointless or there's some impossibly effective strategy employed against the powerful/supernatural baddie, which invariably proves to be temporary when the sequel comes out or there's a teaser at the end of the evil surviving. This avoided either, and was more about the characters which I think was at least a bit refreshing. 

Nell is a definitely an oddball character though in terms of the role she plays and how she's haunted. I'll have to look for some articles on that later. 
    telephoneofmadness
  • chrisk said:

Nell is a definitely an oddball character though in terms of the role she plays and how she's haunted.
    She really is.

cdriveElisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Episode 5 was so dang good.  Can't wait for Episode 6 with what buzz I've been hearing about it....
    Elisa
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I saw the thing about a ghost being hidden in nearly every scene in the house, and people are putting together each of the children represent one of the five stages of grief...

gguenotElisaAll the Chickenshisdudeness915
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Episode 6 man.... chef’s kiss.  What a time we are living in with film craft.
    All the ChickensElisaTxSandMan
  • Most "jump scares" are more like "flinch from this really loud sound scares". Not actually frightening.

Ugh, ghosts. I guess I am obligated to check this out.
    JaimieT
    edited October 2018
    Most "jump scares" are more like "flinch from this really loud sound scares". Not actually frightening.

Ugh, ghosts. I guess I am obligated to check this out.

Yes! And the one (one!) I liked was actually scary. Otherwise you're jumping before you even fucking know what you're looking at. And now I'm distracted from absorbing it.
    telephoneofmadness
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    I'm not a fan of Jump scares and there's one true one I would say (scared the shit out of us watching). This show was a master craft of letting the tension and background objects scare you, which I thoroughly enjoy. I really really liked this show.
  • First episode impressions: this is obviously well-made, well-written, and compelling. 
    I'm definitely having a hard time telling all these sisters apart, though.
    TaraC73Elisatelephoneofmadness
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    ken hale said:
    First episode impressions: this is obviously well-made, well-written, and compelling. 
    ken hale said:
    First episode impressions: this is obviously well-made, well-written, and compelling. 
    I am halfway through the episode with the sister who killed herself (4, I think?) and I am also having a very hard time telling everyone apart including the mother when we see her in flashbacks.

And also, Timothy Hutton was the dad that called Steven when he was leaving to come help Nell, but Henry Thomas plays the dad in the flashbacks - the flashbacks weren’t THAT long ago that Henry Thomas could transform that much was it? Do we know if Timothy Hutton is supposed to be the same character? 
    telephoneofmadness
    edited October 2018
    TaraC73 said:
    ken hale said:
    ken hale said:
    I am halfway through the episode with the sister who killed herself (4, I think?) and I am also having a very hard time telling everyone apart including the mother when we see her in flashbacks.

And also, Timothy Hutton was the dad that called Steven when he was leaving to come help Nell, but Henry Thomas plays the dad in the flashbacks - the flashbacks weren’t THAT long ago that Henry Thomas could transform that much was it? Do we know if Timothy Hutton is supposed to be the same character? 
    You are supposed to understand Timothy Hutton to be the old man version of their Hugh Crain. I think that the time jump to present day is like 25-30 years. Hugh Crain in the flashbacks appeared to be in his early 40's, and the aging between early 40's to 60's is often pretty dramatic, especially with as much stress and despair Hugh has lived through.
    TaraC73
  • 2 episodes in. I spent most of that time totally confused about who everyone was. They really needed some kind of montage clearly showing who was who in the flashbacks compared with the present.
    TaraC73ken hale
  • Just finished episode 5. Loving it so far as it STILL could all be psychological, and the writers are smart about building tension and only sparingly having payoffs to the tension, so you never know if a scene is just creepy or about to make you pee yourself. Very excited to keep watching, especially since I have heard a LOT of praise about episode 6. 
    Elisa
    edited October 2018
    This is totally fascinating! I was a little topsy-turvey with telling the older actors apart, but I thought they did such a great job casting the child actors to look like the adult actors (and vice versa) because my assumptions based on who each person looked like turned out to be correct. There were probably other subtle cues there too. I know face blindness is a thing and the show will totally fuck you there. They really don't do anything else to make it clear, as I recall... they don't even say the names very often.
    TaraC73
    edited October 2018
    For the first couple of episodes, I had trouble telling the sisters apart and knowing which one they were supposed to be. My wife instantly recognized the oldest sister "Shirl" as "the vampire mom from the Twillight movies." By the 3rd episode, I think I was pretty comfortable in telling them all apart. And @JaimieT ;is right on- they did wonderful job casting the kids with their adult counterparts, and generally making the family look like they could actually be related (especially the sisters). Adult Luke, on the other hand, didn't remind me of any of his siblings and didn't look anything like the childhood version of Luke. I also found it hard to believe that adult Luke, who one would assume would be nearly blind without glasses based on young Luke having those thick glasses, was I guess walking around 24/7 with contacts on even while he was on the streets scoring drugs or running around rehab.
  • I was also confused about why Camille's sister was freaking out in the toolshed. I even went back and paused on the camera flashes. Nothing scary there. Then they were like, "this Halloween mask makes the wasp nest look like a scary face." Okay.
  • I was also confused about why Camille's sister was freaking out in the toolshed. I even went back and paused on the camera flashes. Nothing scary there. Then they were like, "this Halloween mask makes the wasp nest look like a scary face." Okay.
    I could tell there was definitely a face in the camera flashes, but I thought it was the mummified body of the mom cat. 

Also, holy shit the scenes that resulted from that shed scene were by FAR the most disturbing to me. 

Also also - props to this show for managing to make an actually creepy skeleton. Thought it was no longer possible with how comically they are used now. 
    JaimieTElisahisdudeness915TaraC73
  • 5 episodes in. Oh no, people being haunted by ghosts of themselves, from the future. Stop trying to make future-ghosts happen. They're not going to happen.
    JaimieT
    edited October 2018
    5 episodes in. Oh no, people being haunted by ghosts of themselves, from the future. Stop trying to make future-ghosts happen. They're not going to happen.

At that part I was like, "Oh thank God, that's not scary at all." No sarcasm... I'll take my peace of mind where I can get it. Haha.
    telephoneofmadness
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    5 episodes in. Oh no, people being haunted by ghosts of themselves, from the future. Stop trying to make future-ghosts happen. They're not going to happen.
    Do you want future ghosts? Because that’s how you get future ghosts. 
    JaimieTtelephoneofmadness
  • edited October 2018
    Idk...three episodes in.  It's still entertaining, but this kind of ghosty stuff just doesn't scare me at all. 
    The third episode, and Theo in general, was annoying. Like all the sudden what am I watching - an X-men movie?  If there's much more of this "sensitive people" superpower stuff, I'm out.

Edit: I should add, just so I'm not being super-snarky-negative, that the family-drama stuff is good.  I like that.
    TaraC73
  • ken hale said:
    Idk...three episodes in.  It's still entertaining, but this kind of ghosty stuff just doesn't scare me at all. 
    The third episode, and Theo in general, was annoying. Like all the sudden what am I watching - an X-men movie?  If there's much more of this "sensitive people" superpower stuff, I'm out.
    I call that character "Rogue". Glasses boy is "Clark Kent" because he turned into a different person when he grew up and took off his glasses. "Camille's sister" works in the funeral home. The young girl is "Fake Alicia Clark" and the writer is "Orphan Black Dad". I've cracked the code.
  • ken hale said:
    I call that character "Rogue". Glasses boy is "Clark Kent" because he turned into a different person when he grew up and took off his glasses. "Camille's sister" works in the funeral home. The young girl is "Fake Alicia Clark" and the writer is "Orphan Black Dad". I've cracked the code.
    That’s funny. I personally went a lot more basic with, twin girl, twin boy, undertaker lady, gloves lady, and Daario. 
    telephoneofmadness