US Politics Vol. 6: A Song of Fire and Fury - The Winds of Midterms

Comments

• edited November 2018
    What a handsome man civic minded guy, so dreamy 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    MrX said:
    oh lord Fivethirtyeight already has a live blog going. Goodbye productivity/sanity.

I did learn from them that Idris Elba is the sexiest man alive and he wants you to vote. Do you dare defy Stringer Bell?

MrXBrieannegguenotFlukesweeniegirlKela15
  • Tried to early vote on Friday, realized I left my wallet in the car after waiting in line for half an hour. The line looked like it would take about for hours so I bailed.  I got up at 6 am today to vote. Waited half an hour and when I was 8th in line, the system went down for half an hour.  Finally voted after waiting a little over an hour. Here's hoping Kemp's voter purge tactics don't ruin the election, but Georgia is traditionally a very red state. It's easy to forget that when living in the liberal haven of Atlanta. 

Keep your fingers crossed!
    cdriveFlukesweeniegirlJaimieThisdudeness915Kate23
  • Standing in line to vote now in my Atlanta suburb. This is the longest line I’ve ever seen here. At the 2016 election I walked right in with no line, for comparison.
    DeecdriveFlukeshisdudeness915MrXJoshTheBlackKate23
  • MrX said:
    Gan said:
    I have never flown anywhere in my life. I don't have a passport, nor do I have a car. I have looked everywhere I can think to look. In drawers, cabinet, under the bed, under the mattress, shelves, cloyhea, chairs, couches, washer, dryer, under the fucking sink. I am even my sister's looking cause I was pet sitting her cat a few days ago.

Where I live is the second most difficult state to vote in. A current non expired state photo ID with a current address is required to vote.
    I feel like a hypocrite. 

Ah that sucks. Which statue?
    VA, and I can't do provisional voting because I have no way to get a new ID right now or anytime soon due to moving and the documents you need to obtain one. 

Ugh, Im so pissed. Cockburn/Kaine better win or I'll just be depressed for months.
  • I've got that BETO feeling.
    Dee
  • These maps I'm seeing don't make great reading
  • Florida is driving me fucking crazy!!!!
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited November 2018
    @adobo1148

At least it looks like Amendment 4 is gonna pass
    MrX
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Small bit of good news. Kim Davis, the clerk who refused to sign marriage licences for gay couples, has lost to a Democrat. 

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article221121745.html
    hisdudeness915weeniegirlgguenotrusskelly
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2018
    Dems projected to take the House! Puts a big check on Trump and the Republican agenda for the next 2 years. Losing ground in the senate sucks but don't let that discourage ... Getting the house is a BFD. It means Republicans won't be able to attempt another Obamacare repeal. Won't be able to pass another crappy tax bill. Plus Democrats can now issue subpeonas and investigate all the corruption in the Trump administration.
    Dee
  • @adobo1148

At least it looks like Amendment 4 is gonna pass
    I heard that, fuck yeah!!
  • On the bright side, it looks like the local Brunch Bill will pass by a landslide.
  • Make Brunch Great Again!
  • This is a big one. The national Republican party put a lot of $$ into blatantly racist ads against Delgado and he won for a D pickup!

hisdudeness915Kate23CretanBull
  • Welp, it wasn't the Blue Wave and Trump repudiation that I was hoping for but not too bummed. Main goal was taking the House. Happy that Texas represented, Beto came two points within Cruz. Thats pretty impressive for a Progressive in Texas. Texas also flipped two major red house seats in Sessions and Culberson. I feel like Texas was more of a wave than Florida. But still bummed about the state of the nation, Colorado looking better and better.
    Doctor_Nick
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Republican or Democrat, I just don't understand how anyone looks at Ted Cruz and thinks, yeah, that's my dude!
    gguenotCretanBullLeahra821Dummy
  •  Butrustywright4 said:
    Welp, it wasn't the Blue Wave and Trump repudiation that I was hoping for but not too bummed. Main goal was taking the House. Happy that Texas represented, Beto came two points within Cruz. Thats pretty impressive for a Progressive in Texas. Texas also flipped two major red house seats in Sessions and Culberson. I feel like Texas was more of a wave than Florida. But still bummed about the state of 

when republicans like Duncan Hunter someone under indictment can still win while running an anti muslim campaign, yeah the state of the country, at least in San Diego, is disheartening. 
  • edited November 2018
    Republican or Democrat, I just don't understand how anyone looks at Ted Cruz and thinks, yeah, that's my dude!
    Yeah, I think the biggest story here is how many people are pro-blobfish. 

• Heres something to chew on regarding the recent mid term. It speaks of a “diploma divide” between those who vote democrats and those who vote republican. This is something Ive been weary of for a while now, the way pundits talk about those with college degrees and those without especially amongst white voters. https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/11/education-gap-explains-american-politics/575113/
  • Senate may not end up as bad as it was looking last night. Tester held in MT and Rosen picked up NV. Assuming FL goes to Scott (might be a recount there) that put's R's with a pickup of +3, and there apparently are still a bunch of ballots remaining to be counted in AZ so if Sinema can make up ground that would put the net change at R+2. Which is about what was projected, and would put 2020 in play.
  • Welp, it wasn't the Blue Wave and Trump repudiation that I was hoping for but not too bummed. Main goal was taking the House. Happy that Texas represented, Beto came two points within Cruz. Thats pretty impressive for a Progressive in Texas. Texas also flipped two major red house seats in Sessions and Culberson. I feel like Texas was more of a wave than Florida. But still bummed about the state of the nation, Colorado looking better and better.
    It helps to remember that going into last night, all things were FAR from being equal. 
    After the 2010 gerrymandering, and the incredible GOP luck as far as their numbers up for re-election, and of those, who were "safe," vs. the greater number of Dems up for re-election in non-safe seats, it's pretty fucking amazing what happened around the country. 

Just know that Elijah Cummings and Adam Schiff and Maxine Waters and Elizabeth Warren will be getting down to business. 
    Dee
  • asmallcat said:
    Yeah, I think the biggest story here is how many people are pro-blobfish. 

That slimy thing is disgusting.  The Blobfish is oddly cute though.
    Murderbear
  • Sessions out. That was fast.
    Flukes
  • MrX said:
    Sessions out. That was fast.
    Saturday Night Massacre incoming? 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Boom!
  • Here's why I'm hopeful for 2020: fuck Florida. Don't need it. Or Ohio or Iowa. States like VA, CO, NM and NV seem to be more reliably Democratic and should keep trending that way.

Just need to hold those and win back PA-MI-WI and you get over 270. Yesterday's results in those states were promising. Perhaps Democrats should run popular Midwesterners for President. I could see an Amy Klobuchar and Sherrod Brown ticket doing well for example.

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    On my FB feed...

What even.

CretanBullgguenot
  • Mueller probably out within 24 hours
This discussion has been closed.