U.S. Politics Vol. 7: A Dream of 2020

Comments

• Yeah, he is even more cranky than usual today.
    - Has to fly to France for a missile parade since he couldn’t get it done in DC
    - Federal Judge In MT
    - Jim Acosta (the video we faked isn’t fake because it’s to slander fake news?)
    - April Ryan
    - Kellyanne’s husband
    - Election officials in FL
    - Election officials in AZ
    - Election officials in GA
    - Obama
    - Hillary
    - Comey
    - Flake
    - Congressional Democrats blocking his immigration bills (he knows that the GOP still controls congress until January, right?)

Lordy, it’s almost like the caravan of MS-13 thugs and “people of Middle Eastern descent” funded by Soros storming our borders and invading our country while also illegally voting isn’t even a big priority anymore...
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    LordBy said:

And guess who's covering the France trip for CNN? One Mr. Jim Acosta. :lol:

hisdudeness915DeeCretanBull
  • Flukes said:
    LordBy said:

And guess who's covering the France trip for CNN? One Mr. Jim Acosta. :lol:

Macron should troll him by leaving a snazzy military uniform with all kinds of gaudy medals on it, a military hat, and a pair of aviators, along with a personal note that this is a gesture of gratitude from the French people.

Who knows? He might wear it to the parade.
    Flukes
  • POTUS trying to subvert democratically held elections in multiple states ... just another Friday in 2018.
  • Part of the conservative position that you can’t trust locally elected state officials to handle state functions, the federal government must get involved to make sure it’s done right...
    FlukesJaimieT
  • Kate23 said:
    ICruz's chief strategist says he prays for the soul of anybody running against Beto O'Rourke in 2020. Is that just baiting Democrats? I like Beto but I can see trump 2020 thinking he's red meat, too nice, too easy to beat or something. There was a lot of successful baiting in 2016 to get Sanders and Clinton supporters to hate each other, be on the lookout. 

I know just the basics of O'Rourke's platform but i liked all of it. But I also think we need people like him in the Senate....would he have a better chance trying again, against Cronyn, in 2020?

Once the dust settles a little I am anxiously awaiting any news from Kampala Harris. What I've seen of her record and what she fights for, I'm behind it. 
    Beto has a young family and said that they agreed to try for the senate, give it all they got and then relax and be a family. I’ve never seen anyone work as hard as he did, and we almost pulled it off.

That said, I am not sure I’d want him to run for Pres. I want an for sure win on the Dem side. Biden, Harris, Booker are three I’d like to see. I want someone who can clap back on the lies and bs Trump will spew.

Also Cornyn is much more liked in Tx than Cruz. Something like 400k voted against Cruz but for the Republican Tx governor. Also Beto won the native Texan vote by 3 points. Things that probably wouldn’t happen against Cronyn.
    Kate23CretanBull
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    My pick for the Democratic nominee: a white man. Please dear God let us have an all white male ticket. Biden and whoever. Maybe the VP can be black, but definitely a man.
    Kate23adobo1148Flukes
  • JaimieT said:
    My pick for the Democratic nominee: a white man. Please dear God let us have an all white male ticket. Biden and whoever. Maybe the VP can be black, but definitely a man.
    Cause white heterosexual men have been held back for ......................so..................long? They are vastly underrepresented in all facets of society.........please let thou white man live free!!
  • edited November 2018

Random Popular Vote Comment: 

The south is full of potential voters who never do because they are never worried about losing their precious state Republican majority,  i’m not saying that we should not require everyone in the country to vote, I’m just making the observation that we should be careful what we wish for because who knows how that would shake out if there were a true popular vote...

And by the way isn’t Green the only vote that truly counts anymore, and I’m not talking about the Party...I know that is a sad, nihilistic statement...

adobo1148 said:
    JaimieT said:
    Cause white heterosexual men have been held back for ......................so..................long? They are vastly underrepresented in all facets of society.........please let thou white man live free!!

You're being sarcastic, but taking your point: exactly, they have a great track record of winning.
  • JaimieT said:
    adobo1148 said:
    JaimieT said:

You're being sarcastic, but taking your point: exactly, they have a great track record of winning.
    Oh Im sorry i thought you were being sarcastic as well  :|
    JaimieT
  • I was listening to the History Chicks podcast on Anne Frank this morning, I started choking up when they outlined the ordinary (yet insanely compassionate and brave) people serving to hide, support and protect the Jewish people in the Netherlands. 

I was was reminded of that Mr Rogers quote, about looking to the helpers when so much bad stuff is going down. 

No point to make, just thought maybe this should be in every political conversation in the world :)
    adobo1148CretanBullLordByweeniegirlJaimieT
  • Random Popular Vote Comment: 

The south is full of potential voters who never do because they are never worried about losing their precious state Republican majority,  i’m not saying that we should not require everyone in the country to vote, I’m just making the observation that we should be careful what we wish for because who knows how that would shake out if there were a true popular vote...

And by the way isn’t Green the only vote that truly counts anymore, and I’m not talking about the Party...I know that is a sad, nihilistic statement...

Eh, the same can be said for states like NY, CA, Massachusetts, etc, etc. Also, it's been shown time and again that easier access to voting leads to increased votes for dems, so I doubt that trend would suddenly reverse. The fact is, the older, whiter people are, the more likely they are to vote republican, and the older, whiter people are the more likely they are to vote. 
    djcaudle01
  • asmallcat said:

Eh, the same can be said for states like NY, CA, Massachusetts, etc, etc. Also, it's been shown time and again that easier access to voting leads to increased votes for dems, so I doubt that trend would suddenly reverse. The fact is, the older, whiter people are, the more likely they are to vote republican, and the older, whiter people are the more likely they are to vote. 
     Excellent point, and to add to that at some point you have to think that as the older generation passes away and the younger generation comes of age there will be a noticeable shift, however these things are so impossible to predict as I assumed that would have happened by now.  We (North Carolina) voted for Obama in 2008 and I was like WAHOO!! And since then it’s just been (fart sounds)

In other news is it true that Joy Behar was blaming the Senate loss on Gerrymandering???  
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    PayPal just cut off the Proud Boys

DeeAlkaid13Flukes
    I am dying.

CretanBullDeeKate23adobo1148ShumDoctor_Nick
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2018
    I've been staying far, far away from these threads.  Historically, I never do well with these.  And I also hate arguing online (with a couple of exceptions in the past where I couldn't help but to speak my mind).  But I am compelled to say something tonight.

I found out about an hour ago that my cousin and his wife have lost everything they own to the Camp Fire in Butte County.  They are now technically homeless, but are staying with his daughter and her family.  I saw Trump's tweet from yesterday, blaming California's lack of forest management for these devastating wildfires and threatening to revoke any federal aid if Cali can't get it together.  So, first - these forests are federal lands as part of the US Forest Service/National Forests.  Guess who cut funding and essentially took away much of the ability to manage them in the first place?  Second - what in the actual fuck?   What kind of president human being shows such a public lack of empathy or sympathy or even neglects to offer one small word of solace to the thousands who have been displaced or who have lost family or friends to this awful fire?   I believe my exact words at the end of my reply to him were "Fuck you, you insensitive piece of shit".

Can it be 2020 already?  And also, if I may ask, please consider a donation to the American Red Cross.  There are hundreds of thousands in our state who are in dire need of disaster relief.

Edited to add:  he did finally tweet his sympathy and support of the fire victims, but it was 100% spin control.  Someone pointed out that it was written at what would have been 11pm Paris time (you know, where he was busy *not* making his scheduled appearance due to rain), so a) did he actually write it or did one of his social media lackeys?  and b) if he did write it, guess what? You made your true feelings known in your first post, asshole.

MattyWeavesDeeKate23cdriveadobo1148Alkaid13hisdudeness915JaimieTgguenotweeniegirland 4 others.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Michelle - my pal, I’m so sorry about your family and for everyone in that area. It’s horrible.  Don’t be distracted by that guy. There are still real people who care. 
    Michelle
  • JaimieT said:
    I am dying.

These are hysterical to
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2018
    cdrive said:
    @Michelle - my pal, I’m so sorry about your family and for everyone in that area. It’s horrible.  Don’t be distracted by that guy. There are still real people who care. 
    Thanks, friend.  
  • Michelle said:
    I saw Trump's tweet from yesterday, blaming California's lack of forest management for these devastating wildfires and threatening to revoke any federal aid if Cali can't get it together.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article221385910.html

Do Californian urban planners fall under "forest management"?

“In these places, it’s not if a fire is going to happen, it’s when it’s going to happen,” said Henke, who now consults with fire departments. “We’re basically building structures right in the path of firestorms. There’s just some places a subdivison shouldn’t be built.”
    Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article221385910.html#storylink=cpy

I'm not sure how to understand this next part. Are houses being purposefully built and used as fire barriers?

“We have a lot of people living in ‘urban forest’ conditions,” Gillies said. “It’s sort of a mixed bag. If you have a forest canopy and put homes under it and roads under it, that can help (limit the fire) ... but in an extreme fire, homes become fuel themselves.”

Wagging fingers at Trump is all well and good, but if saving lives is an issue, it's good to investigate a little.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    MikeO said:
    Michelle said:
    I saw Trump's tweet from yesterday, blaming California's lack of forest management for these devastating wildfires and threatening to revoke any federal aid if Cali can't get it together.

“In these places, it’s not if a fire is going to happen, it’s when it’s going to happen,” said Henke, who now consults with fire departments. “We’re basically building structures right in the path of firestorms. There’s just some places a subdivison shouldn’t be built.”
    Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article221385910.html#storylink=cpy

I'm not sure how to understand this next part. Are houses being purposefully built and used as fire barriers?

“We have a lot of people living in ‘urban forest’ conditions,” Gillies said. “It’s sort of a mixed bag. If you have a forest canopy and put homes under it and roads under it, that can help (limit the fire) ... but in an extreme fire, homes become fuel themselves.”

Wagging fingers at Trump is all well and good, but if saving lives is an issue, it's good to investigate a little.

Do not burst in here with this Trump supporting bullshit when there are people here who are at risk of losing everything and people whose loved ones HAVE lost everything. No one needs this well, actually bullshit. Read the fucking room and read the fucking rules. This is your one and only warning. 
    JaimieTMichelleMFG
  • walktheskywalkthesky New York
    edited November 2018
    Michelle said:
    I've been staying far, far away from these threads.  Historically, I never do well with these.  And I also hate arguing online (with a couple of exceptions in the past where I couldn't help but to speak my mind).  But I am compelled to say something tonight.

I found out about an hour ago that my cousin and his wife have lost everything they own to the Camp Fire in Butte County.  They are now technically homeless, but are staying with his daughter and her family.  I saw Trump's tweet from yesterday, blaming California's lack of forest management for these devastating wildfires and threatening to revoke any federal aid if Cali can't get it together.  So, first - these forests are federal lands as part of the US Forest Service/National Forests.  Guess who cut funding and essentially took away much of the ability to manage them in the first place?  Second - what in the actual fuck?   What kind of president human being shows such a public lack of empathy or sympathy or even neglects to offer one small word of solace to the thousands who have been displaced or who have lost family or friends to this awful fire?   I believe my exact words at the end of my reply to him were "Fuck you, you insensitive piece of shit".

Can it be 2020 already?  And also, if I may ask, please consider a donation to the American Red Cross.  There are hundreds of thousands in our state who are in dire need of disaster relief.

Edited to add:  he did finally tweet his sympathy and support of the fire victims, but it was 100% spin control.  Someone pointed out that it was written at what would have been 11pm Paris time (you know, where he was busy *not* making his scheduled appearance due to rain), so a) did he actually write it or did one of his social media lackeys?  and b) if he did write it, guess what? You made your true feelings known in your first post, asshole.

I cannot imagine what these poor people are going through.  I’ve been working in and out of San Francisco this week.  

Religious or not, this guy is a piece of shit...
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chris-cuomo-thoughts-and-prayers-mass-shooting_us_5be52f63e4b0e8438896166a
  • Dee said:
    MikeO said:
    Michelle said:

Do not burst in here with this Trump supporting bullshit when there are people here who are at risk of losing everything and people whose loved ones HAVE lost everything. No one needs this well, actually bullshit. Read the fucking room and read the fucking rules. This is your one and only warning. 
    How is this post supporting trump?  The links  posted are trying to dig into solutions for the wildfires.
    edited November 2018
    Dee said:
    MikeO said:
    Michelle said:

How is this post supporting trump?  The links  posted are trying to dig into solutions for the wildfires.

A direct reply to Michelle's comment summarizing it as "wagging fingers at Trump"? And "but if saving lives is an issue"? 

Don't see it, eh?

I won't break rules and personally attack users, and I'm not a mod who is more at liberty to proclaim things, so I'll just say it's pretty clear the comment is not a tone-deaf "let's fix this!" It's the Rule 1 kind of tone-deaf.

Also your comment might fall under Rule 10 indirectly, my dude. 
    hisdudeness915Dee
  • Seems like everyone is breaking rule 3...

Crap I think I just broke rule 3....ahhh I broke it
    again....ahhh I broke it again....(Holy Grail? No? A Ron has your son watched it yet???)

i know this is serious stuff but come on we aren’t going to change anyone minds with anger, if you are on here and you’re conservative, please understand you are way outnumbered and the only way you will ever make a real dent is to find common ground where there is common ground to find, work together in kindness to understand where the other side is coming from and agree to disagree where you can’t understand 
  • @Michelle I’m so sorry to hear about your family’s loss with the fires. I was fortunate enough to have my home still standing, so I can’t imagine the horror they’re going through knowing they lost theirs. My heart truly breaks for them. 
    JaimieTMichelleKate23
    edited November 2018
    @djcaudle01 I saw how Rule 3 came about and my comment is not breaking it. 

Yep, definitely when someone's house is consumed by a wildfire you/we need to be more strategic about changing their mind.
    MFG
This discussion has been closed.