Top 5 Favorite Non- Bald Move Podcasts

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 2018
    Culinary fans, especially fans of Top Chef, will like Starving For Attention.  It’s hosted by Richard Blais and his wife, and he interviews chefs, critics, and others in the culinary world.  I just found it today while going down a Kevin Gillespie rabbit hole and it’s great.  This is his podcast with Kevin:

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/Dizzying-Gillespie-with-Kevin-Gillespie
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited November 2018
    I'm digging Malcolm Gladwell's new Broken Record podcast that he does with Rick Rubin (must be behind the scenes mostly because he was on his episode and the Eminem teaser, but that's been it) and Bruce Headlam who I guess is a NYT guy. Basically they just interview musicians, but they do it really well. If you like music and the tone of Revisionist History I definitely recommend it.

Also still working my way through 3 Songs and I really love it. Episode 10 with PJ Harvey, the Butthole Surfers, the Homosexuals, Les Rita Mitsouko, Wire, and Dolly Mixture was a really, really great episode with awesome tunes. Lots of cool new discoveries.
  • Bagman with Rachel Maddow telling the story of Spirow Agnew's criminal misdeeds is excellent. 
    Kate23Dee
  • Dee said:
    Was it someone here who recommended Hey, Do You Remember? Because if so, thank you! I’ve just caught up with them all and I love it. Like most podcasts (weirdly excepting BM - maybe that’s why they’re such a cut above most?), one of the hosts shines way above the others, but my god can that guy tell a good story. There’s one where he talks about a costume day at school for Halloween that had me literally doubled over crying in the street while I was walking home from work. 
    I did recommend the show and I’m glad someone heeded my advice. I’ve listened to almost every episode (I haven’t seen all the movies they’ve covered so I’m avoiding spoilers) and Chris is definitely me in another city. I’ve contacted him about the effect “The Road to Gotham” has on me , and he was very humble and genial about it. It’s a great show. Carlos and Donna are cool, too. Lol
    Dee
  • The Scathing Atheist

God Awful Movies (I'd love to see a team up between the Bald Move guys and the GAM crew).

The Horror Show with Brian Keene

The Thinking Atheist

United Nations of Horror

MsAnne
  • adobo1148 said:
    Bagman with Rachel Maddow telling the story of Spirow Agnew's criminal misdeeds is excellent. 

It's fantastic, I may have enjoyed it more than "Slow Burn" - and I think it's an even closer analog to today's mess than Watergate.

Baseball fans will enjoy the last 2 episodes of the new season of 30 for 30 - about how Hideo Nomo was able to play in the MLB, and then about Rickey Henderson playing in an independent league at age 46.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited November 2018
    @Dee I just got turned on to Cocaine and Rhinestones a couple of weeks ago. Did you listen to the Spade Cooley episode yet? Holy shit that man is a monster! Absolute piece of shit. (I think I mentioned it in this thread earlier but I don't feel like looking but I didn't realize it was hosted by one of the guys from Your Favorite Band Sucks. Also a favorite of mine)

I just started listening to Behind the Bastards. I'm two episodes in and already hooked. The first one I listened to was basically about what was on Osama Bin Laden's hard drive and it's pretty interesting. And I'm now listening to an episode about how Steven Segal is even more of a monster than you realized. It's very funny.
    @Murderbear I checked out Your Favorite Band Sucks and ended up binging them all over the weekend I moved house while I was unpacking. Love it, but I’m not that into music so I’m not offended when someone slates a band or performer I like. I imagine if you were a die hard fan of one of the bands this podcast could make you angry! 

I also checked out Behind The Bastards and I’m working my way through that now. A couple of days ago at work I listened to the Bill Cosby episodes, then the Harvey Weinstein ones, then the Alex Jones ones. That was a wild ride. 
    Murderbear
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Michelle said:
    Michelle said:
    Post Show Recaps
    Red All Over - Kelly (formerly of Up Yours, Downstairs) and Molly examine The Handmaid's Tale episodes weekly and have both serious discussion and also get kind of hilarious
    Best of Friends - because, Friends ♥
    The Way I Heard It - Mike Rowe's podcast where he tells short stories (he's such a talented narrator and I *love* his voice)

3/4 of this list has changed for me.  I no longer listen to Best of Friends, and I burned out on Red All Over.  Honestly, everything I listen to is Bald Move related, and I still listen to Mike Rowe's podcast (could listen to him read the phone book :love: )   But yeah, not much compares to Jim & ARon.  :star: :heart:
    I'm there with you on Red All Over. I'll pop one on every now and then, but I have it set in Pocket Casts to just keep the most recent 3 and let them fall off. I like Kelly and Molly, but I don't really get the impression that I'm missing much if I just tune in sporadically.
  • mahduk said:
    The Scathing Atheist

God Awful Movies (I'd love to see a team up between the Bald Move guys and the GAM crew).

The Horror Show with Brian Keene

The Thinking Atheist

United Nations of Horror

Are you okay? ;)
  • For Red Dead Redemption or Ballad of Buster Scruggs fans I'm several episodes in to a very well done "weird west" Deadlands TTRPG actual play podcast, Sounds Like Crowes.  Good voice talent as well.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2018
    Anyone listen to the PosCast? ... it's with Mike Schur and Joe Posnanski and is mostly about baseball and sports ... but often other stuff. They did a "Holiday Character Draft" (they do a lot of drafts which is fun) for the most recent episode and it was the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Guests included Nick Offerman, Alan Sepinwall, and Linda Holmes. Skip to about 12 minutes in if you want to skip talk about the MLB hall of fame.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7113265-poscast-draft-2nd-annual-holiday-blowout
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I spent New Year’s Day binge listening to Dr Death and it was riveting. Highly recommend but it will make you furious about what hospitals and doctors can get away with. 
    JoshTheBlack
  • 1.  How has nobody mentioned "The Daily" yet?  It amazes me how quickly and well produced they manage to get the news out.  Every day, 5 times a week.  Before 6 a.m.  News that might have just broken at midnight, or 2 a.m.  It's short and digestible.  I listen to it every morning as I get ready for work.  Just fantastic.  Added to the front of the queue.

2. "Stay Tuned with Preet" is a series about justice and fairness featuring Preet Bharara, the former US Attorney for the Southern District of New York.  He has a very measured and reasonable response to most things, and tends to divorce politics from his content mostly.  This gets added to the front of the queue.

3.  "Penn's Sunday School" where famed magician, athiest, libertarian, self-proclaimed idiot Penn Jillette talks about whatever he wants for 30 minutes with cohosts Michael Goudeau and Matt Donnelly.  Frequent topics include magic, veganism, and Trump.  Added to the front of the queue.

4.  "Security Now" Leo Laporte (from TechTV/G4 fame) and Steve Gibson discuss the latest computer security news every week for 2+ hours.  Added to the front of the queue.

5.  "Reply All" by Gimlet Media which the Guardian describes as: “‘A podcast about the internet’ that is actually an unfailingly original exploration of modern life and how to survive it.” This show is often quirky, and always wonderful.  I recommend the episodes where they deal with a tech support scammer.  (Episodes 102 & 103)  And all of their "Yes Yes No" episodes are excellent.  Added to the front of the queue.

Very new subscriptions that I am enjoying, but haven't listened to a lot of include:

o "Good Christian Fun" This is a good one if you grew up in a christian household.  They talk alot about christian pop-culture and contemporary christian music from the 90's.  This was the majority of the music and entertainment I was allowed to listen to growing up, so it's interesting hearing people talk about it.  This podcast is not preachy.  One of the hosts is a believer, and the other is kind of waffling.  

o "Punch Up the Jam" Mentioned earlier in this thread by @Murderbear.  Comedians Miel Bredouw and Demi Adejuyigbe take a popular song and dissect it.  Then at the end, they punch it up.  They create a better version of the song.  Usually very poorly.  I picked this up due to a list on Lifehacker of the best podcast episodes of 2018 where they recommended "In The Air Tonight" which was absolutely hilarious.

Flukes
  • Adding a few that I can't believe I haven't seen here yet:

Caliphate: NY Times investigative journalist talking about the rise of ISIS, interviewing a Canadian man who joined ISIS, SO good. 

In the Dark: Two seasons.  Season 1 is about a Jacob Wetterling abduction and murder in MN and season 2 is about the Curtis Flowers/Tardy Furniture murder in MS.  

Dirty John: (Now a miniseries on Bravo) About a con man who weasels his way into the life of a wealthy woman and her family in California. Also by Wondery (Dr. Death).
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Vikki12 I’m not big on true crime but I really liked In The Dark. It was much more like long form journalism than a sensationalised entertainment podcast, as many true crime ones have been. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I've been listening to a lot of Talented Slackers lately. Couple of brothers out of Ft Worth that do a free flowing podcast on movies. A lot like Filmsack, but looser and edgier.
  • while bald move is my favorite first go to, I also like Shat on (i hate the name and the wipes rating makes no sense to me), a cast of kings and decoding westworld (joanna robinson and david chen), and just started listening to The end of the world and Bag man with Rachel Maddow. 
    MmmBopBroRad33OldGriswold
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    adobo1148 said:
    Bagman with Rachel Maddow telling the story of Spirow Agnew's criminal misdeeds is excellent. 
    Yeah, this was great. I only vaguely knew of Spiro Agnew and had always assumed he was ousted because of some involvement with Nixon’s shenanigans. I had no idea he was up to his own tricks. How infuriating that he had no real punishment, though. 
  • @JoshTheBlack  From your list you might be interested in some of the episodes of "Covert Contact: Blogs of War." Very straightforward stuff on different intelligence issues from people in the field, including cyber. He hasn't posted in almost a year unfortunately, but the past episodes hold up.

I wish Chuck Rosenberg had a podcast but I'm content to hunt him own on other people's. He's great on Lawfare. He also gave the best reasoned analysis of the Buzzfeed/Mueller thing on Maddow Friday.
  • The latest episode of Reply All was the hardest I've laughed in a while. They had Jason Mantzoukas pinch hitting as a guest House and they did the segment where they break down a viral Tweet, this one involving Harry Potter bathroom lore, and turns out Zoucks is a huge Potterhead and he had some pretty hilarious takes.
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    MsAnne said:
    while bald move is my favorite first go to, I also like Shat on (i hate the name and the wipes rating makes no sense to me), a cast of kings and decoding westworld (joanna robinson and david chen), and just started listening to The end of the world and Bag man with Rachel Maddow. 

• MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom

I also like Shat on Tv, but cannot stand Chen & Joanna Robinson she appears snarky & Chen bows down to her so much.
     I like Chris & Jason on The Talking Dead But fuckin hell they say “back after this music”  3/4 way through podcast. It makes me furious..So now I can’t listen before bed. 
     I’m hoping they drop the music for Fear. TWD I don’t care about anymore.
    BroRad33
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I mentioned this one in the Adnan thread, but this is probably the more appropriate place for it. A few days ago I started listening to You’re Wrong About..., which is two journalists debunking widely held beliefs about famous news stories. They cover topics like Anita Hill, Columbine, “going postal”, Terri Schiavo, etc. it’s really interesting, and so far I’ve learned that a ton of things I thought I knew about various news stories are completely wrong. 
    djcaudle01Doctor_NickCretanBullApril_May_June
  • edited March 2019
     For all you Dale Cooper fans out there...

WRAPPED IN PODCAST is one of the funniest and most thoughtful podcasts I’ve ever heard outside of BM obviously 

Maybe it’s because the guys never cover it, which I have to say is my only real disagreement with them, but Twin Peaks to me, along with the Leftovers and the Wire is one of, IMO, if not the all-time greatest television shows. And it’s so funny because the Leftovers is like the closest thing to Twin Peaks I’ve seen...Lindelof has said as much, that Lynch and Mark Frost were his main inspirations...
  • Finally got onto "All Fantasy Everything" recently and have been picking my way through the back catalog. I'm particularly a fan of food-related episodes - problem is every other episode they get me wanting Taco Bell or Panda Express because they make them sound so fucking good!
    Noel
  • MsAnne said:
    while bald move is my favorite first go to, I also like Shat on (i hate the name and the wipes rating makes no sense to me)
    I love these guys.  I came across them listening to a Conan cast that they did.  I agree with you on the name, does them a huge disservice I think, their chatter is much better, thoughtful and adult than ass wiping and cleaning buttholes but perhaps they think it's too late to change the name now.  They have, dare I say it, a bit of the Bald Move magic.  I particularly enjoy the intro of Big D... "Good evening!" haha, but they're all great.
  • Some of my favorites are:
    Reply All
    Every Little Thing
    Code Switch
    Stuff You Should Know

and I just discovered You're Wrong About so I've been on a binge.  Others I love are Ear Hustle, Accused, Criminal.

And for limited series: the Dropout, Butterfly Effect, the Last Days of August, the Dream,
    Dee
  • r0ck44r0ck44 Fairborn, Ohio
    Reasonable Doubt , Adam Carolla and Mark Gerragos
  • Dee said:
    I mentioned this one in the Adnan thread, but this is probably the more appropriate place for it. A few days ago I started listening to You’re Wrong About..., which is two journalists debunking widely held beliefs about famous news stories. They cover topics like Anita Hill, Columbine, “going postal”, Terri Schiavo, etc. it’s really interesting, and so far I’ve learned that a ton of things I thought I knew about various news stories are completely wrong. 
    I was going to recommend You're Wrong About! It's great, and I was happy to see it already mentioned here!

:) 
    Dee
  • Dee said:
    I was going to recommend You're Wrong About! It's great, and I was happy to see it already mentioned here!

:) 
    Ditto!!!!! Every episode I listen to, I think “Everyone must hear this immediately!” And there are no ads. 
    Dee