Top Chef

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Nini was just uncomfortably bad. speaking of uncomfortably bad, Sara rambling about every ingredient in the dishes :#
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Chinaski said:
    Nini was just uncomfortably bad. speaking of uncomfortably bad, Sara rambling about every ingredient in the dishes :#
    Right?   Padma: "I was falling asleep."  
  • I'll be pretty surprised if Nini's doesn't come back from LCK, given how many competitions she won on the main show....
    Michelle
    I'll be pretty surprised if Nini's doesn't come back from LCK, given how many competitions she won on the main show....
    Yeah, but look who she's up against.  (Not saying who, not sure if we're still considering LCK as spoilery since not everyone watches it that night.)   To be honest, I'm really kinda hoping for her competitor to make it back in.  I really liked that person in their season.
    Oh Brother!! and yes.. pun very much intended :D
    Michelle
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited January 2019

Someone needs to write the Ballad of Brother Luck

Complete with a Brother with angel wings rising out of his body as it hits the floor after his elimination.

ChinaskiMichelle
  • I was shocked about Brother.  Really thought that they really disliked Brian's and that he was going to be sent packing.  It will be interesting to see Brother back in LCK though.

Although, someone remind me, what was the "big" advantage that Brother's team got in the elimination challenge?  It seemed like all of the Chef's got to pick what drink they wanted and it's not like Brother's team assigned them stuff.  Personally, i was hoping that the advantage would be more like forcing the losing team to cool while severely intoxicated.  But I suppose doing that could cause complications when there is fire and knifes and other instruments in play.  So maybe the advantage could have been that they had to cook hungover or something.

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited January 2019
    Brother has shuffled off his mortal coil....  He is an ex-Top Chef.

Michelle
    personally i'm not a fan of LCK. doesn't seem fair that someone is moving on by just winning a that basic competition, while others are jumping through hoops in elaborate competitions. this gripe goes back to the Seattle season when Kristen won a bunch of LCK while the chef's still in it were doing these crazy competitions  (like cooking a meal on a Gondola lift), then got plugged into the final 4 and won it all. granted that Kristen Kish is a total badass but still, i'm not a fan.
    Michelle
  • MrX said:
    I also really liked the Voltaggio bros season. Although since then it's come out that Isabella is a dirtbag.

I remember Season 4 being really good, with Stephanie Izard and Richard Blais (and also Antonia).
    I didn't like Isabella on his season but stopped at his restaurant in DC a few years ago because I was staying in the neighborhood and the food was AWESOME.  Now I am bummed he turned out to be yet another sexual harasser.
    Chinaski said:
    personally i'm not a fan of LCK. doesn't seem fair that someone is moving on by just winning a that basic competition, while others are jumping through hoops in elaborate competitions. this gripe goes back to the Seattle season when Kristen won a bunch of LCK while the chef's still in it were doing these crazy competitions  (like cooking a meal on a Gondola lift), then got plugged into the final 4 and won it all. granted that Kristen Kish is a total badass but still, i'm not a fan.
    I totally get what you're saying and I kind of agree, but what I do think is positive about it is that sometimes, a chef can be eliminated for reasons not their own - maybe another chef's lack of ability caused them to lose if they were on a team challenge, maybe someone spent almost all the money on lamb *coughEddieMoneycough* so you had no money for your ingredients, etc etc. (you know, you've seen it all).  So I like that they get a chance to get back in.

I really like Brother Luck.  I hate, though, that he threw in the kitchen towel and gave up.  I get his reasoning, but I was so looking forward to watching him compete again.
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    I totally get what you're saying and I kind of agree, but what I do think is positive about it is that sometimes, a chef can be eliminated for reasons not their own - maybe another chef's lack of ability caused them to lose if they were on a team challenge, maybe someone spent almost all the money on lamb *coughEddieMoneycough* so you had no money for your ingredients, etc etc. (you know, you've seen it all).  So I like that they get a chance to get back in.

I really like Brother Luck.  I hate, though, that he threw in the kitchen towel and gave up.  I get his reasoning, but I was so looking forward to watching him compete again.
    yeah i see your point. in the case for Kristen from Seattle i wanna say that when she got sent home it wasn’t fully her fault (pretty sure it was restaurant wars). 
    Michelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited January 2019
    This is why I want to back-watch restaurant wars for the last 3 seasons. That was my fall off. Is Brother a hated dude like Marcel? I have no idea.  But I had no problem with him winning over Nini during LCK.  I like the curve ball of LCK tbh. 

About the challenge. I was bummed that none of the Old Fashion takers didn’t try to infuse some food with Angostura Bitters. Put it in a marinade or something.  Old Fashions are all about the bitters.  So dynamic. Just adding oranges? Meh. 
    ChinaskiMichelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

yeah i see your point. in the case for Kristen from Seattle i wanna say that when she got sent home it wasn’t fully her fault (pretty sure it was restaurant wars). 
    Oh for sure, she definitely got screwed.  I'm glad she came back to win it all.

You know who I really liked from season 10?  Sheldon. 
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

yeah Sheldon was rad. he actually helped open up a Poke spot i just ate at before the holidays 
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

yeah Sheldon was rad. he actually helped open up a Poke spot i just ate at before the holidays 
    Nice!  Santa Cruz?  Maybe I'll check it out the next time I'm down there.

I would go to Hawaii just to eat his food.  I mean, for all of the awesomeness too, but still.
    edited January 2019
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

I would go to Hawaii just to eat his food.  I mean, for all of the awesomeness too, but still.
    it’s actually in Cupertino. Pokeworks. it’s chainy poke spot. not bad but there’s better in the area. 
    Michelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

it’s actually in Cupertino. Pokeworks. it’s chainy poke spot. not bad but there’s better in the area. 
    I know this is an A B convo but I’ll C to it to say if you’re near Cupertino then go to Tanto in Sunnyvale. 
    MichelleChinaski
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

I know this is an A B convo but I’ll C to it to say if you’re near Cupertino then go to Tanto in Sunnyvale. 
    i know the place and the area really well (i work in Cupertino and lived in Sunnyvale for 8 years) but never ate there. good to know. lookit you! throwing out south bay restaurant knowledge! i like it!
    cdrive
    xanthan gum! that's what's in your hair product Brandon! why?!
    cdriveMichelle
  • Chinaski said:
    xanthan gum! that's what's in your hair product Brandon! why?!

Yea I was gagging thinking of eating tartare that was "thickened" with xanthan gum.

I love when Tom goes all disappointed dad at the whole group. Y'all had a whole cow butchered by the greatest butcher in the world and you managed to annhilate it into unrecognizable little overwrought beef-adjacent dishes?? 
    Chinaski
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    https://tvline.com/2019/01/25/fatima-ali-dead-top-chef-season-15-cancer/

So sad, she was one of my favorites from that season.
    Brieanne said:

Oh, so sad.  I really liked her as well.  :cry:
    Brieanne said:

so sad. she was also one of my favorites from that season.
    2 weeks in a row someone spending more time on their hair than their cooking :D
    Chinaski said:
    2 weeks in a row someone spending more time on their hair than their cooking :D
    I hate that Bryan’s gone!  I was rooting for him!  
  • So i wasn't exactly sure why Adrienne got completely excused from elimination.  I get she wasn't feeling well, but doesn't that just set a bad precedent?  I mean, why not "fake" an illness if it means the judges aren't going to eliminate you?  Just seemed like a weird decision to not include her with the rest of the team.
  • I think her taco was quite good. So the combo saved her and Eddie. 

Ive noticed that when Eddie works someone else’s food for them they seem to do well (Brian’s Restaurant Wars dish). 
  • So i wasn't exactly sure why Adrienne got completely excused from elimination.  I get she wasn't feeling well, but doesn't that just set a bad precedent?  I mean, why not "fake" an illness if it means the judges aren't going to eliminate you?  Just seemed like a weird decision to not include her with the rest of the team.
    I don't think anyone is gonna fake an illness, they are all very competitive. Plus like @Doctor_Nick said, her dish was a good concept and well executed (with the assist from Eddie). Brian on the other hand had two weeks in a row really not thinking through how his dish fit into the challenge and also not executing it that well.

Aside: Imagine having a stomach bug or whatever and have to be on a boat (with the air conditioning failing?) for an overnight challenge? Yuck.
  • Don't get me wrong, I don't think she was faking an illness but the judges excused right off the bat before they went to critiquing each person.  Also, not saying that she should have gone home over Brian.  It just seemed (or the way it was edited) that since she was sick, they (the judges automatically excused her) and it was like she had immunity for the week.  And if that was the case, it just sets a bad precedent.  They kind of did last season when the person who was pregnant (forget her name) had to completely skip a week because something happened or she fell ill and so she skipped a week, someone got eliminated, and then she back the following week.  Now, ultimately, it didn't matter because she ended up dropping out because of pregnancy, but it just seems like if you get sick for a week, then it's to your advantage because the judges take pity on you.

As for Brian, i really had to laugh when he complained that no one stuck up for him because he stayed up all night.  Not sure why he would think this because at the end of the day, why is someone going to fall on the grenade and sacrifice themselves to get eliminated in what is an individual competition?