307 - The Final Country

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    tom_g said:
    Can someone come up with a memory device that will help @A_Ron_Hubbard remember that the first name is Harris and the last name is James??
    Hand Job Harris James?
    That would have been excellent if old man Roland used that when interviewing the old Hoyt maid. “You ever know a man name Harris Jaaames? Worked for the Hoyts? Round some parts call him Hand Job Harris” 
    mylifeaskirktom_g

• I've always thought the final reveal would be through Wayne having a moment of clarity - regaining memories.  I've thought it would be that he found in the 90s that Roland was dirty, and agreed to cover it up for some reason.
    @tom_g what is your appraisal of Rolland's character after this episode?  More or less of a chance of him being dirty? outside of him being a terrible interrogator of course lol

He seemed more than willing to kill the investigation after Tom's suicide?? / murder.  And - he ultimately was the one who killed Hand Job Harris James - perhaps to tie up a loose end.  Someone ratted Wayne out to Hoyt, why not Roland.
    groovydooleymylifeaskirkcdrive
  • cdrive said:
    That ever so slight look Roland gives Wayne after he says “I’m not simple.”  Stephen Dorf is KILLING it! Dude is country af.  I wonder if they pegged him for this after seeing him play a rural cop in Leatherface. Seems like that was a warm up for this.  Oh and I’ve learned he sings and writes country rock which now makes a lot of sense.  Mahershala has been amazing too but Dorff has been my favorite this season.  “Mothurrfuckurr give me 2 fingers of southern comfort”. 
    I couldn't agree more about Stephen Dorff.  He had that composed intensity and rage all throughout this episode.  It felt very in the vein of Jack Nicolson or at the very least a parallel performance similar to what somebody like Christian Slater has been known to pull off.
    mylifeaskirkcdrivemac.maguire
  • cdrive said:
    tom_g said:
    Can someone come up with a memory device that will help @A_Ron_Hubbard remember that the first name is Harris and the last name is James??
    Hand Job Harris James?
    That would have been excellent if old man Roland used that when interviewing the old Hoyt maid. “You ever know a man name Harris Jaaames? Worked for the Hoyts? Round some parts call him Hand Job Harris” 
    @A_Ron_Hubbard

I think it is official - we think you should use 'Hand Job' to remind you it is Harris James . . . hand job Harris James.
    mylifeaskirkcdrive
  • EMAW42 said:
    It can’t be a coincidence Julie was calling herself Mary July and now we find the one eyed man is named Mr. June. Ms. July seems like a cute nickname you’d give yourself based on “Mr. June”. I wonder if June helped her escape eventually and tried to let her live a normal life; maybe Julie viewed June as her father, which is why she made that phone call when her real dad was on the screen. It’s a bit confusing to me why Julie knows/remembers her real name and doesn’t turn herself in.
    I thought the same thing myself. That it just doesn't seem like a coincidence.
    mylifeaskirk
  • Is anyone on-board with Old-man Wayne figuring out the multi-state child abduction ring and all the "leaders" behind it, to only have his dementia go into full-blown effect and forgetting everything he learns? 
  • tom_g said:

I've always thought the final reveal would be through Wayne having a moment of clarity - regaining memories.  
    Oh man that would be a killer Dues Ex Machina...they could basically do anything they want to the story...
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    "I just want you to know I'm thinking it!"

That scene was terrible. It was like a mix of season 2 Pizzolatto with the worst of Quentin Tarantino
    johnnytruant
  • "I just want you to know I'm thinking it!"

That scene was terrible. It was like a mix of season 2 Pizzolatto with the worst of Quentin Tarantino
    Really? I thought it was both hilarious and nuanced at the same time....nuanced in terms of both men having very legitimate grievances at the way they treated and/or manipulated each other...despite being pretty close friends...maybe I’m weird but I actually thought it was amazing writing 
    gguenottelephoneofmadness
  • I loved the dialogue in this episode between Dorff and Ali. And as with the whole season they both really brought their A game acting wise. I’m excited for next week but also sad that this show is coming to a close. 
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I wonder if Wayne really has dementia, or if it's brain damage from being beaten up by Hoyt's MIBs.

When Hoyt was outside threatening Wayne, my reaction was "Hmmm", considering that wildman Woodward was intimidated by Wayne's skills.
    I found it odd how easily James got the jump on Hays, considering, like you said, "wildman Woodward was intimidated by Wayne's skills".  I feel like they... "bragged" up Wayne's skills, so I was surprised/disappointed he couldn't handle a beaten up Harris James.
    telephoneofmadness
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Wasn't it episode 7 in season 1 that our older detectives went to an old black woman who was an ex-employee of the wealthy family who was at the centre of the case?  Is this going to become a Pizzolatto trope?
    djcaudle01
  • This season has been amazing, but I’m worried for the finish. I have to say, I’ll be super disappointed if the biggest reveal next week is in the 90s timeline. The way I see it, this only truly works as the masterpiece it almost is if you are able to recut this story in chronological order and it’s still compelling. Otherwise it’s trickery, and if you hooked me along to show me at the end that purple knew exactly who dunnit, but burried it and forgot I’m gonna be pissed!
    telephoneofmadnessmylifeaskirk
  • Right now, I'm not sure what to think of the 2015 night time car scene where Roland gets the license plate.  Only because of the way they faded the scene and now I'm not sure if Wayne was just imagining it.  I guess we'll see if anything comes from that license plate or if that license plate has something to do with the past.

One thing I didn't like was how Harris James died.  Not so much that he got shot by Roland but that Roland and Wayne were actually tricked/fooled by the whole "hey, you beat me up too much, just uncuff me and i'll talk".  The way they were working him over, you force him to talk before you uncuff just because you had to know Harris was going to pounce when given the opening.  Wayne and Roland just seem like they should have been smarter about this one.

As for how did Hoyt know, yeah I suppose there cold have been something on Harris like him having a microphone or some sort of radio thing going on.  But, it's also possible that either a) Wayne and Roland were spotted when they were waiting for Harris to leave or b) since Wayne did get into the car, perhaps he's got finger prints inside of Harris' car, so maybe Hoyt's guys found the car first and were able to pull finger prints off and find out that Wayne was there?  Hopefully, we get an answer to this question next week.  I really don't want it to be that Roland spilled the beans to someone (even if it was his girlfriend who turns out to be a "spy" so to speak).

I'm also wondering now if maybe the Hoyt daughter is the one that ultimately helps Julie escape (assuming that Julie did escape).  Looking forward to next week though. 

• I really hope Julie isn't old Hoyt's daughter, then bought by Isabel as her new daughter, but is really her sister.
     I'm ready for anything but I mostly I want the 3 timelines of Wayne's character  to make sense and be satisfying. 
    djcaudle01
  • Wayne's daughter has to have passed away, right? That is why they set up that little college scene, and that we haven't seen or heard from her in 2015.
  • "I just want you to know I'm thinking it!"

Totally agree.  Adding the word "uppity" put it over the top.  That word has only ever been used in conjunction with one other.  You're pretty much saying them both by just saying the one.  And not true to the characters, who I tend to believe respect (and maybe even like) each other despite their different perspectives.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    "I just want you to know I'm thinking it!"

I guess I disagree. We know that Roland isn't racist, he defended Wayne when Tom was bad mouthing him earlier in the season when they were riding in the car. I think that scene was trying to show how easy it is, even between friends, to resort to cutting people down with offensive terms. The 'N' word was obviously very common in the region and era of the show and it was as if Roland was reverting back to his potentially "pre woke" instincts but in the end he still has too much respect for Wayne to use it. 
    djcaudle01gguenotrustywright4
    I don't think it was out of character or anything, I just thought it was corny and stupid. It's a weird way to weaponize that word and it didn't work for me. This season has been great so far though.
  • CoryCory New Scotland

One thing I didn't like was how Harris James died.  Not so much that he got shot by Roland but that Roland and Wayne were actually tricked/fooled by the whole "hey, you beat me up too much, just uncuff me and i'll talk".  The way they were working him over, you force him to talk before you uncuff just because you had to know Harris was going to pounce when given the opening.  Wayne and Roland just seem like they should have been smarter about this one.

Yeah, I couldn't believe that either, or how easily he got the drop on LRRP Wayne.  All that was missing was him strangling Wayne with his tie.

As for how did Hoyt know, yeah I suppose there cold have been something on Harris like him having a microphone or some sort of radio thing going on.  But, it's also possible that either a) Wayne and Roland were spotted when they were waiting for Harris to leave or b) since Wayne did get into the car, perhaps he's got finger prints inside of Harris' car, so maybe Hoyt's guys found the car first and were able to pull finger prints off and find out that Wayne was there?  Hopefully, we get an answer to this question next week.  I really don't want it to be that Roland spilled the beans to someone (even if it was his girlfriend who turns out to be a "spy" so to speak).

Wayne and Roland were both wearing black leather gloves, at least while handling the guns.  I'm pretty sure they were both wearing gloves when they pulled him over.  Roland was for sure.
    edited February 19
    Over here, we are both getting the feeling Roland is dirty.  Now it could be nothing but this exchange of looks seems weird to me.
    Purple: "Tell me the whole story"
    Hand Job Harris looks at Roland
    Roland stares back intensely at Hand Job Harris almost looking like "don't you snitch"
    Then Roland looks at Purple.

I could be paranoid but it seemed a bit peculiar...

Climbed up the ladder fast.  What was their falling out about?  Did Roland inform Edward Hoyt about "the events last night"  Would it be convenient for Roland to kill HJ if HJ was about to give it up?  Maybe HJ planted the back pack but Roland took the fingerprints? Maybe Roland's empathy for Tom is remorse?  Did I just make a Rah Rah Riverdale theory salad?
    tom_gMoonMan13
  • Cory said:

Wayne and Roland were both wearing black leather gloves, at least while handling the guns.  I'm pretty sure they were both wearing gloves when they pulled him over.  Roland was for sure.

Yeah, i'd have to go back and rewatch the car scene when they stopped Harris.  I know I also took a mental note that in the barn, they were wearing gloves.

Also, I'm guessing that Roland was just too distraught over seeing his friend dead that he couldn't easily see through the "suicide note".  I mean, that just seemed like a really lazy attempt at a suicide note.  Starting from that it was typed (Tom didn't seem like the type to go out and type up a note) and even mentioning his wife in the note (Roland should know Tom well enough that after 10 years, Tom wasn't trying to get back with his wife or have feelings for her).  To me, that should have screamed out to Roland that this was not a suicide and is just staged.  

cdrive said:
    Over here, we are both getting the feeling Roland is dirty.  Now it could be nothing but this exchange of looks seems weird to me.
    Purple: "Tell me the whole story"
    Hand Job Harris looks at Roland
    Roland stares back intensely at Hand Job Harris almost looking like "don't you snitch"
    Then Roland looks at Purple.

I could be paranoid but it seemed a bit peculiar...

Climbed up the ladder fast.  What was their falling out about?  Did Roland inform Edward Hoyt about "the events last night"  Would it be convenient for Roland to kill HJ if HJ was about to give it up?  Maybe HJ planted the back pack but Roland took the fingerprints? Maybe Roland's empathy for Tom is remorse?  Did I just make a Rah Rah Riverdale theory salad?

That look looks the same to me as the one he gives every suspect they interrogate when they're in super serious mode. I think he gave the cousin and Tom the exact same look.
    Michellerhcoop
  • "That scene" instantly reminded me of Die Hard with a Vengeance.  Both are incredibly cringey.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited February 19
    I took that scene to mean that Hayes is right to be prickly and distrustful of everyone because even his partner and best friend will resort to racism when the surface is scratched. And I think it was showing us that even West, who is generally a good guy, has racist tendencies when pressed. They’ve hinted at that before when Hayes was complaining about others being racist and West kind of dismissing it. 
  • In preview for Ep 8 you see Julie dropping a corn doll, probably as a marker. 
    Yeah that was expected but I knew it was Julie right away because she was wearing white Converse HT in ep1, same ones my son had. Just thought it was cool she wore those instead of My Little Pony. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I've been thinking that I recognized the actor portraying Dan O'Brien, and I finally looked at his iMDB filmography today.  He portrayed Travis Wanderly, Jessica Lange's 20-something hippie-ish boyfriend in American Horror Story sesaon 1 (Murder House).  Just a little bit of info for AHS fans.
    Michelle said:
    I've been thinking that I recognized the actor portraying Dan O'Brien, and I finally looked at his iMDB filmography today.  He portrayed Travis Wanderly, Jessica Lange's 20-something hippie-ish boyfriend in American Horror Story sesaon 1 (Murder House).  Just a little bit of info for AHS fans.
    nah it's Keith Urban.
    Michelle
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Michelle said:
    Also at first glance it looked that the one eyed man that showed up to the book reading is Virgil from The Leftovers. Will have to check IMDB when I get the chance
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Michelle said:
    Also at first glance it looked that the one eyed man that showed up to the book reading is Virgil from The Leftovers. Will have to check IMDB when I get the chance
    I just looked and it is!  His name is Steven Williams.