Top Chef

Comments

• Fatima Ali was one of my favourite Top Chief season 15 contestant. Feeling bad after hearing about her. 
  • Was I the only one who didn't think it was "dirty" for the white team to start a chant about how the waffles were homemade (vs. buying a mix)?  Because granted I didn't watch this show from Season 1, but even only watching the past 4 or 5 seasons, I definitely know that you never buy something from a mix or frozen and that the only acceptable method on this show is to create from scratch.

I personally think Sarah made too big of a deal out of it.  Granted, it sucks if like 4000 people aren't rooting for you, but it's not like the were chanting "you suck".  They were simply stating that previous waffles were homemade.  Basically, I sided with Adrienne, Sarah knew what she was doing and it's not Adrienne's fault that Sarah bought a mix.

Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i agree @dochielomn. boxed waffle mix? on friggin Top Chef? GTFOOH Momma!... errr i mean, Sarah.

also, is it just me or did some of the crowd background footage during the challenge seem CGI'd?
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited February 2019
    I agree, who tf goes on Top Chef and makes waffles from a boxed mix?  It doesn't matter if you add extra ingredients, it's still a boxed mix,  GTFOOH indeed.  At the same time, I didn't think it was too cool of Justin to rile up the crowd to chant 'Homemade!' - even if it was all in fun, did he not think about how that might make her feel, especially given her strong Kentucky roots?

Sad to see David lose LCK.  I was really hoping he'd get back into the competition.  I thought he was consistently better than Michelle.
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Sad to see David lose LCK.  I was really hoping he'd get back into the competition.  I thought he was consistently better than Michelle.
    boo! i actually liked both David and Michelle, who i thought were better than the Pancake Mix Momma.
    Michelle
    I actually think Pancake Mix Momma is better than Adrienne, who I haven't really liked much since ep. 1.
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    I actually think Pancake Mix Momma is better than Adrienne, who I haven't really liked much since ep. 1.
    Adrienne reminds me of a character Kate McKinnon would play on SNL.
    Michelle
    edited February 2019
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    I'm *really* surprised they haven't parodied the show yet.  I can so see someone mocking Tom and Padma, the quickfires, the confessionals, etc.
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    I'm *really* surprised they haven't parodied the show yet.  I can so see someone mocking Tom and Padma, the quickfires, the confessionals, etc.
    my sister and i impersonate Tom and Padma when we critique eachother's food.
    Michelle
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    Don't you guys remember when Dale used boxed mashed potatoes to make dumplings back in Season 3...he won that challenge!

So, it's not always a mistake <span>:wink:</span>
    Travis
    edited February 2019
    Boxed mashed potatoes are always a mistake.  #truth

Chinaski
    Oh I completely agree @Michelle, I just meant in terms of winning Top Chef!

Michelle
    Brieanne said:
    Don't you guys remember when Dale used boxed mashed potatoes to make dumplings back in Season 3...he won that challenge!

So, it's not always a mistake <span>:wink:</span>
    i forgot about that! i really wanted Casey to win that season :(
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2019
    Michelle said:
    Boxed mashed potatoes are always a mistake.  #truth

HOW DARE YOU?!

Not saying they're as good, but there is definitely a point on the time-quality axis that acts as a real sweet spot for boxed mashed potatoes. I'm livin that life! I want a good lunch at work, make some boxed mashed potatoes pretty quick in the morning, toss in some frozen vegetables. BOOM! That's a two dollar pay out on a 1 dollar lottery ticket. Maybe it isn't a jackpot or even second or third place, but it's pleasant as fuck! #TeamDale (at least I think so, I kind of vaguely remember Dale and vaguely that season and that happening, but barely)
    I stand by my words!  I get how they're convenient and tasty (I've had them) but by definition, they're not mashed potatoes.  They're a food whipped up from dehydrated potato flakes.  I'm not judging anyone who does eat them though!  But in a competition, they're always a mistake.  Don't @ me!  :smiley:
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2019
    mmmm dehydrated potato flakes! Now you're cooking with... microwaved water!
    Michelle
    Mashed potatoes are probably my favorite food.  I've never had boxed ones (at least to my knowledge), but the real ones don't even take very long to make at all.  

It just seems weird to me!
    edited February 2019
    I finally caught up today to the past 2 weeks' episodes, and was surprised to see Eddie Money go!  Then, I thought for sure he'd beat Michelle in LCK, but alas....  and Justin went before Adrienne, who obviously doesn't know the difference between Vietnamese food and Filipino food, even though she swore she knew it well when they were deciding which 'round' to present a dish for.  She really should have went home.

Excited for this week's Macau episode! 
    Chinaski
  • The way the judges were talking, you kind of knew that Justin was going home.  Also, didn't they finish LCK a little early this season?  Thought that it normally last until there are 3 people left.
    MichelleChinaski
  • I was thinking that LCK finished pretty early too, but I am guessing it would have been crazy expensive to bring the lot of them to Macau. Guessing the rest of the cheftestants won't be serving as sous chefs either.  

I was ridiculously sad to see Eddie go. He has been, by far, my favorite and I can't quite place why. He's kind of awkward, but kind of hilarious...  That scene the other week when he was asking for help and everyone was ignoring him and speaking to no one in particular goes "No, OK f*ck me then." I think I rewound that three times.  
    Adrienne better not win!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Adrienne better not win!
    *breathing a sigh of relief*
    Kelsey FTW!
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Adrienne better not win!
    Kelsey FTW!
    i dove into this thread n haven’t wanted yet  :#
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Adrienne better not win!
    Kelsey FTW!
    Crap, sorry! :grimace:  
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Adrienne better not win!
    Kelsey FTW!
    Crap, sorry! :grimace:  
    it's all good. watching now and ok where it's gonna go!
    Michelle
    Sheldon Simeon (one of my favorite cheftestants) is on the latest episode of Richard Blais’s (another of my favorites) podcast.  It’s a really cool discussion.

https://www.podcastone.com/starving-for-attention
    Chinaski
    Headed back to Los Angeles! Great All-Star cast. Can't wait!

Michelle
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Chinaski said:
    Headed back to Los Angeles! Great All-Star cast. Can't wait!

This could double duty as What’s Making My Day!
    ChinaskiMichelle
  • Kevin Gillespie should be coming back as a champion. He deserved to beat both of the Voltagios 
    ChinaskicdriveMichelle
    fidoz said:
    Kevin Gillespie should be coming back as a champion. He deserved to beat both of the Voltagios 
    that was my favorite season.
    Michelle