What makes Bald Move so good?

2»

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Chinaski said:
    people coming over during the holidays and seeing all the xmas cards i have posted on the back of my front door. watching them wince and ask 'who are these guys with Paul Giamatti?'. the Jim dressed as an elf on ARon's Santa lap one was a litter hard to explain :D

Christmas cards? So cool. How does one get on that list? 
  • the guys are awesome. (Hope it doesn’t go to their heads, stay humble)

id like to say my favourite part of Bald Move is the forum community. I feel like over the past 3-4 years I’ve interacted with a lot of cool ass people that if I met in person and had the same conversations we would be good friends. Regardless I feel like I’ve made a lot of internet friends from the forums. You guys all rock. Glad I found my way to this group of people. 
    MichelleNoelDeeMurderbearChinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I like that they sincerely pretend to be poor just like their listeners. Nothing worse than when a podcaster wears jewelry while on the mic. Also, aside from the asshole nature of sipping champagne between sentences, nothing fucks up sound quality worse than this constantly showing up in the background:

• I do listen to some other podcasts. I've tried some and quit, but BaldMove is my #1, go-to, every time. Maybe we appreciate them, because when we gaze into the BaldMove mirror, we see ourselves. Regular people, talking about regular things, making all kinds of regular fuck-ups, and then on occasion, accomplishing outstanding feats (e.g. Marathon 1.0 and 2.0). Most other podcasts are predictable, formulaic (sometimes to the point of being a slave to the motions), and extremely polished. BaldMove is messy, creative, and real. Like, I love listening to Jim and A.Ron use smart vocabulary and talk about smart things and important things and sometimes even really, really stupid things. Or even on a occasion, I hear them talk about something that I am not familiar with, and then I go and learn more about it. Mainly, I guess because I want to feel like I'm in the know, but I'm glad for that push to keep experiencing more in life. Well, I hope this doesn't read weird.  
    MichellemylifeaskirkKate23pollyseeds
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Chinaski said:
    people coming over during the holidays and seeing all the xmas cards i have posted on the back of my front door. watching them wince and ask 'who are these guys with Paul Giamatti?'. the Jim dressed as an elf on ARon's Santa lap one was a litter hard to explain :D

thought all club members got em? have you always been a club member?
    Chinaski said:
    Chinaski said:

For two years at least. Never received one
    Chinaski said:
    Chinaski said:

For two years at least. Never received one
    Wow time flies. Almost three years a baldy!
    Murderbear
  • If you haven’t received a card and are a club member it’s possible the guys don’t have your mailing address. You may want to contact them directly about that. 
    Alkaid13 said:
    If you haven’t received a card and are a club member it’s possible the guys don’t have your mailing address. You may want to contact them directly about that. 
    I wasn’t sure do checked my account. It has the correct address. @A_Ron_Hubbard it’s a mystery. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Alkaid13 said:
    If you haven’t received a card and are a club member it’s possible the guys don’t have your mailing address. You may want to contact them directly about that. 
    I wasn’t sure do checked my account. It has the correct address. @A_Ron_Hubbard it’s a mystery. 
    I’ve never gotten one; I always assumed they were only sent within the US. 
    Ben
  • Ive gotten two the past two years. Idk if I’m being double charged but I’m too lazy to check lol
  • Dee said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    I’ve never gotten one; I always assumed they were only sent within the US. 

Same. Although I’m not sure if they are using my billing address or something else. 
    Dee
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited March 2019
    I got one in Japan a couple years back, but I think that was when you only got one if you sent one so they must have used the return address on the card I sent.

Last year I didn’t get one and this year, it went to my billing address, which is in the States. So my mom got it and had no idea what it was about. Haha.
  • Adding on to the idea of Focus, one thing that I love about BM is that they don’t waste time with small talk at the beginning. I only have a limited amount of time and a lot of podcasts To cram in, so I hate it when podcast hosts take a while to get to what their show is really about. Especially if I’m a new listener. 

I think Jim and Aron are great at just getting into it and following their structure while at the same time allowing some space for ideas to grow and expand organically out of the topic at hand.
    hisdudeness915JoshuaHeterElisaNoelMichelleKate23
  • Just the right amount of geek.  Too much is off putting. 
    JoshuaHeterCALVlLlAINKate23Noel
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 2019
    DaveyMac said:
    I got one in Japan a couple years back, but I think that was when you only got one if you sent one so they must have used the return address on the card I sent.

Last year I didn’t get one and this year, it went to my billing address, which is in the States. So my mom got it and had no idea what it was about. Haha.
    I’d like to think they have my US address which is my parents house. And my mom checks mail and is like “da fuck???” And just tosses it away. 
    DaveyMachisdudeness915Noel
  • edited March 2019
    tom_g said:
    Just the right amount of geek.  Too much is off putting. 
    Hahaha
  • Listening to the Groundhog Day podcast. Enough said. 
    Michelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I started listening around 2014. I was looking for a Walking Dead podcast and happened upon Bald Move. Once I realized they had other podcasts of lots of my favorite shows, especially Game of Thrones, I really started digging in. As everyone has been saying, the guys are extremely smart, well researched and always make the coverage as entertaining as possible.

When I started flirting with the forums, I found a community of lots of funny, smart, interesting people. Between the two, I decided my year or so of free loading had to end. I joined up and never looked back.
    That's almost exactly the same as my story, except in late summer of 2013 I had asked a friend for suggestions on BrBa podcasts, as the last couple episodes were airing, and one was Jim and Aron (no clue what the other couple were).

Otherwise it's basically the exact same story.  Went searching for a The Waling Dead podcast for the second half of season 4 and recognized the name/brand, and later the voices.  As soon as that half season ended I checked the website just in case, in the off chance, that they were covering Game of Thrones.  And they were.  Two weeks after that ended I saw they were covering that new series I kept seeing advertised, The Leftovers, so decided to check it out as well as the pod.

By this time listening to them on my then hour commute (especially the Instant Take's) had become part of my weekly routine for my Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.  The odd week when there wasn't a new episode, and therefore no podcast, felt odd, like something was missing, making my morning drives seem that much longer.
    Murderbear
  • Hearing Aron's hearty laugh always makes me smile! And there's just something about those two voices that seems so harmonious to me. Comforting even. This is the ONLY podcast I'm willing to pay for and find totally worth it! 
    JoshuaHeterMurderbearCecily
  • So, here's the list that really sticks out to me of what makes Bald Move so good (no, great)...

1. Intelligence: Jim and Aron are just smart dudes.

2. Focus: Jim and Aron are really good about focusing / not chasing rabbit trails (i.e. no unnecessary chit-chat)..

3. Homework: Jim and Aron really do their research to prepare for casts.

4. Chemistry: Jim and Aron have different styles that really compliment one another.

5. Honesty: Jim and Aron aren't going to pretend to like something just because it's good for ratings.

6. Care: Jim and Aron genuinely care about their listeners.

7. Lack of Pretension: Jim and Aron are smart, but they aren't dicks about it.

8. Cecily: Cecily is legit.

9. Bidet: Jim and Aron are easily one of the top 10 (at least top 20) podcasts for bidet related coverage.

10. Charm: Jim and Aron are charming (just ask their ladies).

11. Production: Jim and Aron have (and maintain) a good audio / visual set up.

12. Community: Jim and Aron have really built a unique, positive community.

13. Geek: They do just enough geeking out without being eye-rolly.

Here's the thing (as Aron would say). In my search for additional pop-culture coverage podcasts to listen to, I haven't found anything that comes close to having everything on the list. Honestly, I'd settle for... 1, 2, 4, 5, and 11.

Recently, I've been listening to "Unspooled": Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson are working their way through covering the AFI top 100 films. It has enough of the features on this list to be... pretty good. It scratches the itch, but I'd unquestionably rather listen to Jim and Aron cover the same content.

Are there any other pop-culture coverage podcasts that have anything close to this list?

HatorianmylifeaskirkChinaskiPeggyBNoelpollyseedsCecily
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    edited March 2019
    I cannot sleep without  the guys in
    my head. If only they knew how much they have got me through my life. Thanks for that. Audio, chemistry, laugh out loud moments are fantastic,  but I hate the really sci-do stuff or marvel type things. I repeat my fav podcasts over and over. No other casts come close. 
    ChinaskiJoshuaHeterNoelmylifeaskirk
  • MmmBop said:
    my head. If only they knew how much they have got me through my life. Thanks for that. Audio, chemistry, laugh out loud moments are fantastic,  but I hate the really sci-do stuff or marvel type things. I repeat my fav podcasts over and over. No other casts come close. 
    My wife and I listen to podcasts falling asleep and she normally knocks out pretty quick and asks to try again the next night. So I've definitely heard some GoT and Westworld podcasts three times each.
    Kate23MmmBop
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    MmmBop said:
    My wife and I listen to podcasts falling asleep and she normally knocks out pretty quick and asks to try again the next night. So I've definitely heard some GoT and Westworld podcasts three times each.
    I know TWD ones word for word :) 
    mylifeaskirk
  • This just came to mind but, here are two (additional) things that Jim and Aron do really well.

They find the "sweet spot" between two sets of (related) annoying extremes.

1. Some podcasts seem like they are just winging it. They are just sort of shooting the sh*t about this or that tv show or movie. At the same time, some other podcasts feel almost scripted... they are a little over-produced. 

When it comes to Bald Move - however - it's clear that Jim and Aron have done their homework. They've put in a lot of time preparing for the cast, but they still maintain a very informal, conversational tone with their coverage.

Relatedly...

2. Some podcasts will just chase any rabbit trail. It's almost as if they think a longer podcast is always better, so there's no reason to reign it in when they find something (anything) to talk about. At the same time, some other podcasts won't explore any topic if it's not absolutely, directly related to the show. 

When it comes to Bald Move - however - Jim and Aron will occasionally take a digression. They will offer some anecdote from their personal life. They will chase a few rabbit trails... but they pretty much never do so in a way that is annoying, or meandering.
    DoubleA_RonTeresa from Concord