The Good Place (NBC)

Comments

• I am still loving the show - but I am a little worried about the unintended consequences argument and where it is going.  Hasn't the show shown that intentions behind an action have a lot to do with how it is scored?  We have been shown that a "good" action can have a negative score if it is done with impure motives. Would it not follow that a "bad" action with good motives would get a positive score?  But now it is seeming like it is judging overall impact of decisions independently of motivation.  

And I don't quite see how putting 4 more people in a fake "good place" is going to prove anything conclusively.  Scientifically the study should be set up with more data sets and controls.  And if this whole judgement system exists around humans, why is there even an Earth with all of its problems where people aren't starting out on an even playing field and make equally informed choices about what is good and what is bad?  Too many questions!!

But the show twists and turns a lot, and seems to close the questions it raises overall.  I have faith that it will be satisfying in the end.  And even if it doesn't end perfectly  it is still fun to watch and I am enjoying the ride.  But this last episode left me wondering a bit more than usual.  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
     Now that I’ve seen the Good Place I don’t think I want to go there either. Does anyone else agree? Those people would drive me crazy! And maybe the annoying portrayal is intentional? What is Mike S. up to?
  • I'm having a hard time with the fact that the season is over on Thursday. It just came back and now it's going to be gone. I'm really going to miss the show and the podcast a lot. Hopefully me calling everyone I know a fat dink will be enough to get me through. 
    MurderbearMarciTeresa from Concord
  • I figured this might be a good place to drop this off because The Office is a Schur thing also. Keaton Patti did his AI script parody thing with The Office and though it isn't as "laugh out loud" funny as some of his stuff, I think it's one of his best. He just kind of nailed it.

majjam0770FlukesMurderbearMarci
  • I didn't think The Good Place would end the season like that. Show hasn't failed to surprise me yet.
  • I am still loving the show - but I am a little worried about the unintended consequences argument and where it is going.  Hasn't the show shown that intentions behind an action have a lot to do with how it is scored?  We have been shown that a "good" action can have a negative score if it is done with impure motives. Would it not follow that a "bad" action with good motives would get a positive score?  But now it is seeming like it is judging overall impact of decisions independently of motivation.  

And I don't quite see how putting 4 more people in a fake "good place" is going to prove anything conclusively.  Scientifically the study should be set up with more data sets and controls.  And if this whole judgement system exists around humans, why is there even an Earth with all of its problems where people aren't starting out on an even playing field and make equally informed choices about what is good and what is bad?  Too many questions!!

But the show twists and turns a lot, and seems to close the questions it raises overall.  I have faith that it will be satisfying in the end.  And even if it doesn't end perfectly  it is still fun to watch and I am enjoying the ride.  But this last episode left me wondering a bit more than usual.  
    I think the idea was that you could LEARN what consequences your actions were having if you had bothered to do research. I think the initial argument where they were talking about buying flowers the judge was saying they should have bought from a different florist, for example. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Is the season really over already?
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Man I dislike this show. It’s so cheesy. Maybe I just don’t get the hype for it. I watched all of season 1. I was out after that. 
  • MmmBop said:
    Man I dislike this show. It’s so cheesy. Maybe I just don’t get the hype for it. I watched all of season 1. I was out after that. 

hisdudeness915NoelFlukesPeggyB
  • I'm a little worried that they are going to lean heavy into the whole Eleanor and Chidi thing. I am not the slightest bit invested in their relationship. To be completely honest, I don't like the two together and think it's better without it, but that is also just my opinion. I'm still watching this show because it's too funny not to. 
    BloodyTaco
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Dummy said:
    MmmBop said:

• Dummy said:
    I'm a little worried that they are going to lean heavy into the whole Eleanor and Chidi thing. I am not the slightest bit invested in their relationship. To be completely honest, I don't like the two together and think it's better without it, but that is also just my opinion.

We'll see where season 4 goes (and far be it from me to guess what Mike Schur has planned), but I think the events of the finale may be their way out of leaning too heavily on that. I actually am invested in their relationship, but it would get boring even to me if things went too smoothly with them. Of course the question of if and how they'll find their way back to each other will be an ongoing factor, but that doesn't mean it will be the central focus. At this point, I trust the writers to continue to surprise me and make me laugh and I can't wait to see where they go next. It's gonna be a long wait for season 4...
    Dummy
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited January 30
    Man, what a great, fun season. I had some problems with things here and there. But it’s still like nothing else on tv. And it’s so ridiculous, bombastic and fun, that I can overlook things. This season flew by. 
    MarciMrX
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    About forking time!
    CapeGabe
  • Yay! That was my exact reaction since I was a latecomer too. I don't think I realized it was a Mike Schur show at first, and that it also has a bunch of the Parks & Rec team of writers and producers. Parks & Rec is an all-time favorite for me.
    MattyWeaves
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Same, I think if people were less afraid to spoil the premise of episode one, and if I knew this was a Schur joint, I'd have been in much earlier.
    Teresa from ConcordMarciFlukes
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Ya basic! 
    MurderbearGrahamMarciBloodyTaco
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard So, have you finished?  Any updates on your thoughts?
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @A_Ron_Hubbard So, have you finished?  Any updates on your thoughts?
    I asked during the Mario stream last night and he said he had watched some but not much more. Obviously he's very busy but damn I want him to watch this show!!
    TravisMarci
    I asked during the Mario stream last night and he said he had watched some but not much more. Obviously he's very busy but damn I want him to watch this show!!

How far? At least to the end of season 1? That's when it went from really liking the show to loving it for me.
    TravisMarci
    Agree.  It SOOOO up his alley.
    MurderbearFlukes
  • MrXMrX CO
    Season 4 will be the last season  :( . Sad that we only get 13 more episodes but it sounds like it's the right call.

hisdudeness915Marci
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited June 8
    MrX said:
    Season 4 will be the last season  :( . Sad that we only get 13 more episodes but it sounds like it's the right call.

That's great news and I don't think it's sad at all. Loved season 3, but was hoping they weren't going to try and push it for five or six seasons.

Same thing I feel about Barry. It's the right time to have a fantastic final season to wrap everything up before they start spinning their wheels.
    MrX
    Completely pleased with this. I'm happier with a great 4 seasons that leave me with a good taste in my mouth. Not opening a can of worms, but recent shows that falter at the home stretch come to mind. Plus, I've found this show to be endlessly rewatchable. It's so layered, I'm constantly picking up on jokes I missed the first time. It will be missed, but it should leave on its own terms and I'm glad they have a road map. 
  • I'm good with this too. They're too serialized and frenetic to do a lot more seasons... At most they could stretch things out with more slice-of-life stuff here and there, maybe eke out another ep or two per season. But at this point I'd rather just see the show go out on top. The only problem is that I love the show so much, it'll be a shame to lose the chemistry they've all established.