S9E15 The Calm Before

Wish my dvr would’ve known this was a super sized episode tonight. Had to go to the app and catch the end. Kind of a punch to the gut 
cdriveblue_sleevejleav382rustywright4

Comments

• Yeah, TWD going full throttle! Man, I really wish the story telling was on this level back in season 7.  My only main gripe, the highway men. I already wasn’t a fan of them and now I’m doubling down on that. They were completely pointless! They were specifically added just for “that scene”. They could have used any other red shirt from the different camps. Side note - I am left wondering what “that scene” would have been like if Lauren Cohen had still be on the show. I guess If Maggie ever comes back, they’ll have to hit her up with a “oh, BTW...”
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 25
    Interested to see the direction they go after this. They had pretty much handed all of Carl's story beats to Henry, and I just assumed they were moving forward with him as 'new carl' 

...guess not
    blue_sleeveLandscraping
  • tonyp1222tonyp1222 new york
    I CANNOT BELIEVE I'M SAYING THIS BUT...

The guys finished the podcast a season early. I'm stunned by the turnaround.
    blue_sleeveredlancerrustywright4ken hale
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    redlancer said:
    Interested to see the direction they go after this. They had pretty much handed all of Carl's story beats to Henry, and I just assumed they were moving forward with him as 'new carl' 

...guess not
    He was such a bad actor though they probably realised they made a mistake and had to kill him off. 
    Pangsdjcaudle01
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 25
    tonyp1222 said:
    I CANNOT BELIEVE I'M SAYING THIS BUT...

The guys finished the podcast a season early. I'm stunned by the turnaround.

Agreed, so much for them to comment on, make fun of (in the good way, not the 'I can't believe I'm still watching this' way), theorize, etc.

Whisperers probably should have killed carol, they have no idea what they just unleashed upon themselves...  They're just all going to wake up on fire as she murders them by the dozens.

As long as we don't devolve back into 1.5 seasons of 'do we fight back or not' ala savior war we should have some fun story to look forward to. So hilltop essentially leaderless? Are they going to set up Negan taking over as leader of hilltop? I guess that's my tinfoil theory for next season.

rustywright4Kela15
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    edited March 25
    Agree this season has been starkly better than the last several years. If this was done the old way then you’d see all the pikes, get the horrified reaction shots, but not see who the actual victims were until the next season...

Gimple couldn’t stop himself from stretching this across a several-month reveal in a stunt to drive up ratings for the next premier and to keep people talking in the off season. Kang is doing great work after being handed a really tough situation.
    rustywright4Marci
  • How did Alpha kidnap so many people, and then how did she get them out of the gate without being noticed?
  • How did Alpha kidnap so many people, and then how did she get them out of the gate without being noticed?
    My assumption was multiple infiltrators that we just didn't see. As well as I think a few of those people had left on their own already.

The other not sure. I'm thinking the status of the gate was less guarded than normal with a lot of foot traffic going in and out. Was the public at large aware of the whisperer threat, and did any of them think they know where Kingdom was?
    rustywright4
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Did we see another night-to-day mistake?  When Alpha takes Daryl ‘on a walk’, it’s super dark.  Then, we see them arriving at their destination overlooking the mass horde of walkers and it’s daylight - could be dawn, but it appears to be early morning.  Were they really walking for hours, or was this a goof up?

And man, I really like Samantha Morton as an actor but someone needs to get rid of Alpha for good.  That pike scene was as @Naugustine said, a punch to the gut.
    Kela15
  • edited March 25
    Michelle said:
    Did we see another night-to-day mistake?  When Alpha takes Daryl ‘on a walk’, it’s super dark.  Then, we see them arriving at their destination overlooking the mass horde of walkers and it’s daylight - could be dawn, but it appears to be early morning.  Were they really walking for hours, or was this a goof up?

And man, I really like Samantha Morton as an actor but someone needs to get rid of Alpha for good.  That pike scene was as @Naugustine said, a punch to the gut.
    I think that it wast just about the crack of dawn when alpha and Daryl started walking, then by the time the sun had rose a considerable amount yeah, it was a little jarring but I could still follow it. This episode was pretty damn well set up, in retrospect it makes total sense in who they were buttering up for the end especially with Enid's and What's his name's updated relationship status, but I feel like they hid all that in the spirit of the fair pretty well and the ending came to mostly a surprise, I kind of figured they'd kill a few people that I saw. I didn't expect Henry but was glad he got killed....but then they had Sediq up giving his speech and it was so cringy, and I wasn't big fan of them squeezing in the scene of them all fighting to the death, it's not that they don't deserve it but ending it on the top of the hill would have been beautiful. 

Edit: Can I also say that it's going to be insane if they go full winter for next season? What is this show becoming?
  • Dial888Dial888 Ireland
    Absolutely loving this season. Can't believe the Bald Move lads bailed just before it started to get good again. On that point, can anyone recommend a good TWD podcast? I'm currently listening to The Walkind Dead Cast but I'm not enjoying it. 
    rustywright4
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Dial888 said:
    On that point, can anyone recommend a good TWD podcast?
    It's worth trying Sistah Speak: The Walking Dead.
    Dial888
  • Michelle said:

One explanation is it would have needed to be a very long walk or any scouts from the various communities would have run across that horde by now. The near to semi-far out areas seemed to have been mostly cleared and monitored in the years since the time jump.
  • They nailed this episode for the most part (sans Siddiq speech and the bad acting from the couple at the beginning). I could go on and on about how stunned I am at the turnaround this show has taken. I don't know if the flagging ratings are going to kill it or not but damn this was solid season that this show needed years ago. I have been wondering who was going to be on the pikes all season and was mostly wrong.

I like that they are having the first winter after nearly a decade and it feels like Angela Kang is trying to right a lot of the last many seasons wrongs. I guess I am gonna strap in for Kang. Let's see if she can stick the landing. 
  • Byrdie said: I don't know if the flagging ratings are going to kill it or not but damn this was solid season that this show needed years ago.
    I don't think it's just the ratings that decides whether a show gets cancelled.
    TWD is sold to over 100 countries - So long as the money comes in it will continue.

As for this season, yes it has been solid. I now look forward to each episode which I 
    didn't do for the majority of seasons 7/8.

This episode was fantastic - I'm just dreading the next episode - The finale.
  • It's worth nothing how Kang has learned from Gimple's mistakes. The heads on the spikes is a huge moment from the comics, and Gimple always strained to shove the big moments into premieres or finales at any cost, even if it made the rest of the season a horribly-paced drag. Under him, this would have been the final scene of the season, if we'd even gotten to see which people had been killed at all.
    ken hale
  • Looking back at the ratings for this half season show that overall numbers are down but it’s still the highest watched show on cable. 
    ken hale
  • I must say I didn’t expect to see Enid, Henry and Fist Bump on the pikes.  Not quite the impact in the comic but as someone else stated they probably feel they don’t have the cast to make that kind of sacrifice. 
  • I definitely expected to see Henry piked.  Enid, I had a suspicion given what transpired up to that point with her dialogue and interactions.  Tara was a slight surprise, but I wasn't sad to see her go.
  • Dial888 said:
    Absolutely loving this season. Can't believe the Bald Move lads bailed just before it started to get good again. On that point, can anyone recommend a good TWD podcast? I'm currently listening to The Walkind Dead Cast but I'm not enjoying it. 
    https://entertainmenttalk.org/category/the-walking-dead-uk/
    Dial888
  • The last few episodes have seen an uptick in viewers, a podcast was attributing that to the Whisperers and the better show its becoming. With episodes like this I could see next season back to its heyday in viewership. Get the people who stopped watching before this season to binge and get hooked again before next season.

I am not a comic book reader so the ending was a total surprise for me. My dvr didn't record everything so started listening to a podcast and was like I didn't see that scene and went to AMC app. I was expecting Henry to get in some trouble but Tara, Enid, were like wow! bout time there's consequences and threats to main characters! And their heads on pikes, in zombie mode made me semi teary. 

Excellent show and can't believe this wasn't the finale. Thank god for Angela Kang
  • edited March 27
    The last few episodes have seen an uptick in viewers, a podcast was attributing that to the Whisperers and the better show its becoming. With episodes like this I could see next season back to its heyday in viewership. Get the people who stopped watching before this season to binge and get hooked again before next season.

I am not a comic book reader so the ending was a total surprise for me. My dvr didn't record everything so started listening to a podcast and was like I didn't see that scene and went to AMC app. I was expecting Henry to get in some trouble but Tara, Enid, were like wow! bout time there's consequences and threats to main characters! And their heads on pikes, in zombie mode made me semi teary. 

Excellent show and can't believe this wasn't the finale. Thank god for Angela Kang
    That might honestly be their strategy, keep the commercials flowing and let word of mouth suck people back in, I can honestly say it comes up every week at work whether its shitty or great. As mentioned it's still by ratings standards the most viewed show on television which just seems all the more odd now that they start investing some serious thought into this damn show, because now they are actually are feeling a fire under their ass from the ratings loss.....I guess the only thing that has me concerned at this point is now that they have announced potentially 3 feature films for Rick Grimes, MORE spinoffs for characters we may or may not care about, and the continuation of Fear the walking dead, what the hell is AMC's plan here, if they couldn't handle just two shows at the budget they were willing to invest what makes them think they will be able to maintain a fair level of quality between each project? 

Also shout out to the Bear assuming that's who's doing the music, that synth during the pikes was heartbreaking. 
    rustywright4
  • Actually the numbers I have seen point to an overall down trend with this "hotly anticipated episode" bringing in a series low Citation Citation Citation in ratings. The trend has been down throughout the season especially since Rick left. So yea this is still a relatively well watched show but the trend is undoubtedly down, while the quality at least in the near term is undoubtedly on the come up. The decision to give a mandate to wrap things up on a series this high profile wont' come mid-season. It will be suits at AMC (renowned for their excellent judgement) doing a cost benefit and given the showrunners 1-2 seasons notice of the final episode. My guess is that Kang was given a window to right the ship and if by next year there doesn't seem to be a reversal of trend we are looking at 11 being the final season. 

The other projects being introduced to further water down the market for the franchise seem to be wrong headed, they rebooted  FTWD, taking away what had become special and interesting about it. The films seem like they are going to be Gimple joints, no confidence there. 

That said the flagship is gonna be what sinks or swims this franchise. I think if they can stick the landing this week on the finale , they have a real chance of having next years premiere drawing back 20-30% of eyeballs. That will be dependent on how good the finale is and how much we few still watch want to try and talk people back from the brink into catching up on the season (which I think will play well minus Rick's helicopter departure). From their it will be up to Kang to keep the quality up and slow the bleeding that happened after the first four episodes this year. If she can manage to somehow break even or even reverse the trend then I bet we see season 13. 
  • Saw the ratings, and was actually surprised it held up as well as it did against the NCAA tournament stuff going on. Tournament games were in spot 2 3 4 5 7 8 9. That's a lot of eyeballs watching live sports, so tough to get those on your show in that case. 

My guess is with the NCAA tournament winding down, and the buzz from this week/season getting some traction, next week will see a fairly large uptick.

• I wasn't sure exactly when the tourney wraps up, but yea with games the last couple weekends its been driving down ratings (more so than during the hey day). I wouldn't expect and significant bump until next season. We should all prepare for this to be the least watched finale to date.
  • Being the leader of Hilltop is apparently akin to being the drummer of Spinal Tap...
    Dial888redlancerlengmoPangs
  • Edit: Can I also say that it's going to be insane if they go full winter for next season? What is this show becoming?
    Winter arrives twice in the next 3 weeks...AWESOME 

Under him, this would have been the final scene of the season, if we'd even gotten to see which people had been killed at all.
    I honestly think Kang is taking some cues from GoT’s in that the penultimate episode knocks you down but not out and then the finale sets up the next season while picking you up and dusting you off 
    Landscrapingrustywright4
  • redlancer said:
    How did Alpha kidnap so many people, and then how did she get them out of the gate without being noticed?
    My assumption was multiple infiltrators that we just didn't see. As well as I think a few of those people had left on their own already.

The other not sure. I'm thinking the status of the gate was less guarded than normal with a lot of foot traffic going in and out. Was the public at large aware of the whisperer threat, and did any of them think they know where Kingdom was?
    Ya... that's a whole lot of unlikely stuff we have to assume happened offscreen. I mean, if they were disguised as people from Hilltop like Alpha was, wouldn't other members of that community notice immediately? If they have the numbers and the coordination to abduct all those people while also capturing Michonne's group without any of the communities realizing and coming after them, that wasn't really established until after it happened.

But it doesn't matter, because when everything else is emotionally and dramatically satisfying I don't mind overlooking details like that. And I think they way they dwelt on certain characters like Ezekiel and Carol and the sign language sisters saying their goodbyes effectively misdirected my expectations on who was going to die without being too heavy-handed.

It's still a schlocky mess, but in a much more fun and engaging way. The last few seasons I tried to dip into an episode here or there and bounced off. After dipping into this one a few episodes ago it was fairly painless to go back and watch the whole thing.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I wonder if Henry's (and the 9 others') death will drive Carol back to being badass short hair kill-em-all Carol next week.  I reallllllllly hope so!
    Kela15
  • Michelle said:
    I wonder if Henry's (and the 9 others') death will drive Carol back to being badass short hair kill-em-all Carol next week.  I reallllllllly hope so!
    Well the reason why she cut her hair in the first place was because her husband Ed would grab it back when she was in that toxic as hell relationship. Now she would just murder anyone who did that so I don't think she's busting out the scissors.