Foods you loved growing up but now hate

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
a nice spin on the other thread (shout out @Hatorian). let's hear it!
Hatorian

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Bologna!
    Murderbear
  • I ate a pound of black licorice when I was like 7 and now I can’t be near it without wanting to vomit. If I get a rogue black jelly bean in a handful I have flashbacks of the death I prayed would take me from my stomach churning hell so many years ago.
    Reni
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Living in Asia for 10+ years my tastes have changed. Slowly eating more and more Asian and less western. I’ll still like to eat spaghetti but it’s like once a month instead of as a kid like once a week. Meatloaf would have to be the answer though. Won’t touch it now. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 27
    Green cordial, green lollies, tomato sauce, any kind of luncheon meat. Fairy bread. 
    HatorianbazjensterNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Omfg, bread and dripping. How am I not dead. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 27
    That shredded meat you get on pizza that pretends to be ham but isn’t. Banana sandwiches. Those little baby hotdogs - I don’t know what you call them, we call them little boys. Any kind of hotdog, actually. 

This thread is throwing up some traumatic memories of 1970s Australia. 
    HatorianbazjensterNoel
    Dee said:
    That shredded meat you get on pizza that pretends to be ham but isn’t. Banana sandwiches. Those little baby hotdogs - I don’t know what you call them, we call them little boys. Any kind of hotdog, actually. 

This thread is throwing up some traumatic memories of 1970s Australia. 
    Haha. Fairy bread. When my Wife explained it to me I was like wtf. I thought we had it bad with pixie stix.

btw There is no such thing as real ingredients on pizza in Australia. Hate to be stuck up but the only real pizza is in Chicago....
    bazjenster
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Hatorian What is your definition of “real” pizza?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Can't say if any of these fall into the "hate" category, but I certainly don't eat them anymore:
    Hot Pockets
    Taco Bell
    Burger King
    King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (This is the closest. I couldn't get enough as a kid, and will be just fine if I never have another one again.)

Dee said:
    Green cordial, green lollies, tomato sauce, any kind of luncheon meat. Fairy bread. 
    At least 3 of those sound like hippie code for drugs.
    Dee
    Dee said:
    @Hatorian What is your definition of “real” pizza?
    I worked As a delivery driver for a local mom and pop pizza place for 4 years and they were always considered one of the best pizza spots in the area. 

Everything is made daily using top quality ingredients. The only ingredients not made daily are vegatables, fish and salami/pepperoni. 

The dough is homemade. 

the cheese is made from 4 different types cheeses. All ordered from different sources to ensure the best quality. 

the sauce is made using secret ingredients. But it’s made same day. 

The sausage is made daily. Also using secret ingredients. 

There is no place in Australia that can do this. It’s simple economics. To Replicate that pizza it would cost like $40-50 minimum for a pizza. Just cuz of the requirements. I’ve done the math cuz I wanted to open up a place in AU where you could get that quality but it’s just simply not possible unless someone wants to spend $50 for a pizza there 

• Butter. As a little kid I used to love it so much, my mother says I would've eaten it with a spoon if she'd let me (and I think a couple of times she did). Now I can't even look at it. I think I'd eaten all the butter I was going to eat in my lifetime in just a few years, haha.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 27
    @Hatorian That’s just fancy pizza. We have fancy pizzas here, but they’re in fancy Italian restaurants, not suburban pizza shops. But the non fancy pizzas aren’t any less real. How good they taste depends on where you go - Melbourne has really good pizza, Adelaide, meh. It’s good enough but nothing to write home about. 
    edited March 27
    Reni said:
    Butter. As a little kid I used to love it so much, my mother says I would've eaten it with a spoon if she'd let me (and I think a couple of times she did). Now I can't even look at it. I think I'd eaten all the butter I was going to eat in my lifetime in just a few years, haha.
    Well now, if we're just talking about bad habit eating... Let's start with Flinstones vitamins. Parents had to lock those things up and hide them. Got in to the jar one time; don't know how many I got down before the jig was up. Cut to a few years later and I graduated to sneaking my mom's Nutrisweet packets. Never forget the look on her face when my brother moved the couch to find something she lost. Had to have been at least 50 little blue empties sitting there. It all ended when my Slim Fast habit far exceeded my mom's dieting needs. Kids vitamins and cheap sugar substitutes are one thing, but at a couple of bucks a can, it was clear that ole Freddy either needed rehab or more church. Since neither of those were in the cards, my mom just said to hell with dieting and removed the contraband from the premises. Long story short: I'll never touch any of those products again. My substance abuse days are behind me.

Renimylifeaskirk
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    edited April 9

• Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Lime cordial
    Dee
  • Freddy said:
    Well now, if we're just talking about bad habit eating... Let's start with Flinstones vitamins. Parents had to lock those things up and hide them. Got in to the jar one time; don't know how many I got down before the jig was up.

Greetings, fellow (former) Flinstones vitamin lover.
    edited March 27
    Freddy said:
    Well now, if we're just talking about bad habit eating... Let's start with Flinstones vitamins. Parents had to lock those things up and hide them. Got in to the jar one time; don't know how many I got down before the jig was up.

Greetings, fellow (former) Flinstones vitamin lover.
    Sometimes I catch myself down at the Piggly Wiggy... in the pharmacy section... just staring... the whole world shrinks around me... just me... and those sweet little jars of peace and happiness...
    Murderbearmylifeaskirk
    Dee said:
    @Hatorian That’s just fancy pizza. We have fancy pizzas here, but they’re in fancy Italian restaurants, not suburban pizza shops. But the non fancy pizzas aren’t any less real. How good they taste depends on where you go - Melbourne has really good pizza, Adelaide, meh. It’s good enough but nothing to write home about. 
    It’s not really “fancy pizza” it’s not pure Italian style. It’s just the amount of cheese and ingredients just blow out your cost per pizza making it impossible to sell at an affordable price. That’s why you get a lot of Italian style Super thin pizza with very little cheese. It’s even worse in singapore. The only place that sells pizza with any actual amount of cheese and ingredients is Pizza Hut because they have the supply chain and shitty ingredients to keep costs Low. 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @Hatorian Have you been to Italy? Is pizza even a thing there? If so I wonder what it’s like? My daughter is in Italy at the moment so I will ask her to critique any pizza she has there. 
    I’ve seriously tried almost every pizza place in downtown Sydney and every pizza place in singapore. 

The common theme between the non chains is both are Super thin crust, hardly any cheese and crappy toppings. 

My company transplated 4 different people Fromm chicago to Sydney over a few years and we all complained that you just could not get the same style pizza I actually started making my own and my Wife and her family loved it and said we should open up a business but I said unless people want to pay $50 a pizza it’s impossible. It’s not fancy it’s just the quantity of cheese and dough with a mix of quality ingredients. 
    Dee said:
    @Hatorian Have you been to Italy? Is pizza even a thing there? If so I wonder what it’s like? My daughter is in Italy at the moment so I will ask her to critique any pizza she has there. 
    Italian style is Super thin. Almost no cheese. It’s conpletely different than anything you get in Chicago or New York. The two pizza capitals in US. 

Itslian style is found a lot more in places like AU and SG because of the lower cost to make. 
    At one point in my life I ate pizza for lunch and dinner for like 6 years straight every day. If there’s any such thing as a pizza expert I’d like to think I’d be the Gordon Ramsay of pizza
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hatorian said:
    I’ve seriously tried almost every pizza place in downtown Sydney and every pizza place in singapore. 

The common theme between the non chains is both are Super thin crust, hardly any cheese and crappy toppings. 

My company transplated 4 different people Fromm chicago to Sydney over a few years and we all complained that you just could not get the same style pizza I actually started making my own and my Wife and her family loved it and said we should open up a business but I said unless people want to pay $50 a pizza it’s impossible. It’s not fancy it’s just the quantity of cheese and dough with a mix of quality ingredients. 
    Ugh, well you know Sydney is all style and no substance. 

Though we do prefer thin crust pizza here - thick crust doesn’t seem to sell well. 
    Hatorian