Expanse Book Club - Tiamat's Wrath (FULL SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK)

Hello Bald Movers, 

So it is my understanding that there was some mild support for book clubbing the next book in the series, Tiamat's Wrath when it came out. Lo and Behold it has arrived! Well I don't have a copy as of today but the release date was yesterday and I am fairly well itching to read it. However as I said in a few threads I am willing to be a bit patient if those of us who are book reader are interested in playing along together. I have never organized a book club and so I don't know what the format would be for a book like this. I think we should start by just sounding off on who might be interested while simultaneously trying to figure out the pace at which we want to move through it (how many chapters per week etc,). If anyone has suggestions for structure that might be helpful please share and if people think we might be best served to move it to a new slack channel I am happy to create a channel if people want to DM their slack emails and stuff. Just throwing this out there and if not many or nobody is really interested in the book club idea I will probably start a thread once I finish much like we have threads for the other books in which people can discuss without the commitment. Anyways, I still think its a fun idea so sound off if you are interested

Tiamat's Book Club Members to date:
Byrdie

Comments

• I couldn't contain myself and read the first three chapters last night. But if there's a club I'm willing to hold off on the rest!
    Byrdie
  • If I may 

Tiamat's Book Club Members to date:
    @Byrdie
    @Reni

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    My copy is waiting for me at Indigo. Headed there in an hour or so to pick it up. I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist plowing through it unless a book club materializes really quickly. :)
  • I started listening to the audiobook yesterday. Chapter 8 so far and will probably get through it next week. I’ve been so excited for this to come out.
  • Alright I am getting the sense that we are all champing at the bit and as such maybe we all power through the book in the next couple of weeks and then chop it up here with full spoilers. How does that sound?
    Byrdie said:
    Alright I am getting the sense that we are all champing at the bit and as such maybe we all power through the book in the next couple of weeks and then chop it up here with full spoilers. How does that sound?
    Sounds good to me. See you all on the other side :)
  • If anybody hits a good benchmark somewhere in teh book to stop and do a "haltime" discussion shout out the "events up to chapter 15" or whatever but beyond something like that lets just all bang it out and we can talk about it en masse in totality.

Sassa Que?
    Flukes
  • Just got the audiobook. Thanks for the heads up. Now to find the time to listen to it...
  • I would love to join! However, I must fully disclose that I am halfway through and lack any willpower at all to stop myself from being a glutton and finishing the whole thing in the next day. This is the story of my life, I wait for ages for something and then can't stop myself. And this one is really good!
    samartian
  • Currently listening to the audio book, chapter 14 so far.
    Really good so far. I'm still in the early stages (maybe 100 pages). The last line of the Prologue ramped my anticipation up to 110%.
  • Really was a hell of a prologue. Also the dedication was kinda high level shade

*Releases an 8th book in a series right on time

"George RR Martin, eh pretty good mentor but WAY better friend."
    FlukesSchluppmostlywrightsamartian
  • I finished the audio book. Damn there's some crazy shit in there....
    mostlywright
  • I’m about 2/3 through. This one is not a slow burn, lots of stuff happening from the jump, can’t wait to be able to discuss it in another week or two, but we’ll have to heavily flag the title for spoilers as I wouldn’t want anyone to have ruined some of this stuff.
    I'm also not done yet (about 300 pages or so) and I'm dying to talk about it, but trying to manage spoilers when people are at different spots is basically impossible. I'm hoping to finish by the weekend. I'm currently splitting my free time between the book and re-painting and decorating a bathroom.
    mostlywright
  • I also finished the audiobook last week, it was ok for me but some of the Laconia battle stuff seemed awfully convenient.
    Finished last night. Quite a ride. Looking forward to the spoiler thread.
  • Flukes said:
    Finished last night. Quite a ride. Looking forward to the spoiler thread.
    This thread is meant to be fully spoiled, as it is a discussion of the book, I will add that to the title.
  • Just now finished and it was super fun. A couple of little quibbles here and there maybe  (these books always seem to telegraph events right?) but its another good entry to the series.
  • Finished. This is one of the better books IMO. Some have taken me a hundred pages or so get really get into, no such problem with this one.

i recognize this is a spoiler threat, but will still give it until next week before I get into it because some folks are still reading.
    mostlywright
    Ok, cool. I just knew people were still reading and participating in this thread, so I wanted to be respectful. 
  • LordBy said:
    Finished. This is one of the better books IMO. Some have taken me a hundred pages or so get really get into, no such problem with this one.

i recognize this is a spoiler threat, but will still give it until next week before I get into it because some folks are still reading.
    Same on waiting to talk heavy details until more folks get caught up. I agree with you that this one just takes off from the beginning without any delay, and I was on board from the jump
  • Agree it's one of the better books. Look forward to the discussion!
    Seeing as the title has FULL SPOILERS in the title now, I'm just going to go ahead and say a few things (in spoiler tags as a very last chance for an errant reader):

Bobbie's death was a gut-punch. I would have accepted anything, however improbable, that got her out of the situation alive but they just let it be. It was an amazing death and seeing it from Alex's perspective was truly effective and heartbreaking.
    I would love to read novellas about Bobbie and Alex's adventures tooling around in the Storm for all those years.

Amos's death happened so quick and matter-of-fact that I had a strong suspicion that there would be more to it. Just as I started to accept that maybe he's just gone - it's revealed that they weren't able to retrieve his body. It will be really interesting to see how Amos's new state-of-being affects his character in the last book. It sets it up pretty neatly for him to sacrifice himself for some great goal. I can already imagine him saying "I already died once Cap. It hurt like a bitch but it wasn't as bad as you'd think. The way I see it, I'm the only one here with experience."

mostlywrightByrdie
  • @Flukes-I so agree on both points! ***I don't know how you did the nifty spoiler thing so SPOILER AHEAD: I so wish I had read the novella Strange Dogs first-maybe my absolute panic at losing Amos would have been tempered some. Once they started commenting on not finding the body i relaxed a bit. I have to admit, Avasarala's death was a gut punch to me as well. I so enjoyed her character. This one really sucked me in! I think it is right up there in my top 3. 
  • Yea those two points are the big headlines for me as well. Having read Strange Dogs, Amos' "death," didn't really impact me the way it otherwise would have. That maybe sounds critical in a way I don't mean it to, I loved the anticipation of it. I knew in my bones he would be back and when they were using his rescue protocol I knew they had to scoop him up on the way. They let it unfold bit by bit and when he showed back up it felt like it was right on time. His relative absence from this book and subsequent badass re-entry foreshadows a juiced up Amos for next and final book. And yea, he's gonna die and he's not gonna give a fuck when he does. The "library" that he and the other kids have cement his role being central to the endgame, in my opinion. 

By that same token, as @flukes points out, I was doing mental gymnastics trying to figure a way to get Bobbie out. They knew people who had read Strange Dogs would have a bead on the Amos thing and used it against us pretty brilliantly in the Bobbie story. 

Going forward I have to assume the next book is going to have to focus on the invisible alien enemy/problem while simultaneously beating back and probably making peace with the Laconian response to this book's assault. It might be a larger scale version of forcing a draw down on all sides like with the original slow zone issue in Book 3. 

I am excited to get into some of the more nitty gritty of the tertiary stuff, because in this series nothing is included without an intention to bring it back in a bigger role later. They love that Chekhov's gun bit. 
    Flukesmostlywright
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 2019
    Finally finished, I also really liked this one. Loved what they did with Naomi, especially in her early chapters as a nomad monk resistance-mastermind. Super cool how they fleshed out some of the small details of how a rebellion would operate under the Laconian boot.

Would love too see the tv show make it this far, to see the series go full on Star Wars rebel alliance. Plus I want to see how they bring a Magnetar class ship to the screen!
    Flukes
  • I really hope the social media buzz that helped to save the show pays-off and it finds a successful home at Amazon for the 4-5 additional seasons it would take to complete the narrative.

I can’t wait for the next book and it’s exploration of, and potential confrontation with, the mysterious adversary.
    Flukesmostlywright
  • I went back and read the prologue last night (which probably means I am going to be re-reading the whole thing) and it was just so well done. The discussion between Holden and Kiki was nuanced and throughout they do a nice job of paying homage to Avaserala, while letting her granddaughter be a bit of a mouthpiece for her in absentia.
    Flukes
  • Bumping this thread back up to see if anyone else has read it since and also because I realized I never posted here after finishing the book. I really, really liked it. In the last few books there was almost always a POV character I just didn't give a crap about (eg. Michio Pa, Filip or any of the Free Navy folk, and I was never crazy about Clarissa) but in this one I cared about everyone. And things are rounding up pretty nicely towards the end, I have no doubt the last book will wrap things up in a satisfying way.
    The one thing I don't really like is that I don't know if I can trust Amos now. When I read Strange Dogs it creeped me the fuck out. The kids creep me out. Amos creeps me out. I know Elvi was supposed to bring this into a more positive light but it just didn't quite work for me.
    There was another thing that was pretty weird to me and it's Kit, Alex's son. He's at university and he's about to get married. This is in Alex's mind all throughout the book and he has this weird nostalgia-like feeling and how Kit is about to fly out of the nest, and this is why he behaves kinda like a dad to that young pilot I forgot the name of. However, this is, at the very least, 40 years into the future compared to the first book. Kit must be 50+ years old. But the way Alex thinks about him is as if he's a teenager. I know people there live way longer than us, so the societal norms for what age is appropriate for what might be different, but by this much? Is this weird to anyone else?