TWD Season 9 Finale - The Storm

S9E16 “The Storm”

Director: Greg Nicotero
Writer: Angela Kang
Naugustine

Comments

• Winter is Coming 
  • Just rewatched the pike scene. Man the way it was filmed and the music was so good. 
    cdrivejleav382rustywright4
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Just rewatched the pike scene. Man the way it was filmed and the music was so good. 
    Dude. That was my take too. The parallel editing a la Spike Lee when he was pulling from DW Griffith. And the rising music was like Dunkirk. I honestly can’t believe I’m making these high shelf comparisons to TWD after what we’ve all been through, but yeah....it did indeed get really damn good again. Hopefully they bring it on home tonight. 
    blue_sleeverustywright4
    Winter is Coming 
    “It’s gonna be a hard winter”
  • MichelleMichelle California
    It's about time we get to see what a harsh Georgia winter actually looks like in this world.

God, I wish the guys were still covering this show.
  • mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    Still watching, fucking Judith......
    edited April 1
    I missed the first 15 minutes though.  Why did Carol leave Ezekiel?
  • I am not gonna say they nailed the finale but damn it was a pretty solid episode. Lots of GoT theft to good effect too. The frozen walkers looking very wight-ish, the scene of them dusting off the Alexandria sign. Remember when issues of survival not involving murder and mayhem were at home in this show? Welcome back, natural consequences. I hate to admit it but the Negan stuff was even somewhat compelling, they definitely have made a decision to dial him back and humanize him and it makes him actually bearable and almost like a real character. I am really hoping that Judith continues to be a "fly off the handle" impulsive dick like her father... Shane. 
    Michellelengmojleav382
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    I thought it was solid as well.  The Kingdom fell, not because of a horde or an enemy attack but because their infrastructure has worn out and there aren't the people/parts to fix it.  I guess that's the answer for why Eugene doesn't make more bullets, all the components have been used up.  This half season has been very dark in terms of how the communities are fairing.  This was the first (and possibly only) winter/snow episode of TWD; we found out zombies can freeze solid.  Presumably they thaw and are fine or Alpha just lost her horde.  Speaking of Alpha, it makes perfect sense the Whisperers migrate like animals.  Carol and Daryl leaving Hilltop leaves Hilltop in an interesting position; will it fall next season?  Negan's redemption arc continues and soon contact with an outside person/group will happen.
    I'll need to rewatch this episode.  I need to see why Carol left Ezekiel, why Alpha was getting the switch to her forearm at the end, and why they were all out and about when the storm hit instead of at their respective communities.  There's a lot in the first 15 minutes that I missed, apparently.  
  • I was pretty disappointed about this episode. So many things....let's see....First...is this really the first winter they've had? I get that Kingdom was always having trouble with their pipes but why was Alexandria unable to cope? Also that isn't how a chimney fire works (if your chimney is blocked with creosote you're going to get a fire up inside the chimney not an explosion, also if the chimney was blocked they would have been able to burn a fire in it at all, the whole place would have filled up with smoke). 

WTF Lydia...she ran off twice...i would have murdered her myself. 

Why couldn't Daryl have been more sympathetic to the King? They made it look like Daryl was going to move in on Carol if her and Ezekiels relationship was rocky. Personally, for me, the Daryl / Carol ship has sailed (romantically). 
    Carol needs to go get her vengeance. I wanted to see more vengeful Carol. I'dve bought Carol and Ezekiel fighting about her going off to hunt down the Whisperers. 

The Whisperers would have needed to get out of the storm like everyone else.....oh yeah..it was still summer where they were. What was that all about? was it a flashback? Are they actually frozen to death in a snowbank? 

Also...put hats on!! grrrr

Pangs
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    It's the first winter episode, not their first winter.  Presumably whatever fancy heating system Alexandria used didn't survive the fires they had and the years of use.  Not surprised the chimney fire was inaccurate.

I thought Daryl was sympathetic; he didn't rat out the King to Carol and wasn't staying in Hilltop.

The Whisperers migrated before the storm.

Hats make it hard to see actors' faces from various angles.
  • They were acting like they'd never seen a frozen walker before....and that some walkers don't freeze but lie in wait in snowbanks. 

Eugene said something about the solar panels not working, that's super convenient timing with the kingdom's pipes all exploding at the same time. I think the fires were at Kingdom, not Alexandria, and that is why they had to leave.

I meant that Daryl could have said, well anything, to Ezekiel to let him know he was just a supportive friend. Giving him side-eye and walking off was super Gimpley, let's not communicate in order to create drama. 

So there is no way the Whispers could know that the communities are violating the borders in the winter. That is a hugely helpful piece of information that Lydia could tell the group. 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Snow walkers (there is an ESB joke there somewhere) were good.  

Is it bad that I got as much emotion out of Dog being loose in the snow as Judith?

I just wish they hadn't spun their wheels for so long with Negan and they could have had Rick around for this round of episodes.
    ken hale
    Rewatching now and I think re: winter, of course they've dealt with previous winters but upon hearing Ezekiel's monologue - eventually things break, things fall apart.  Without regular service and maintenance on their pipes, buildings, etc. the harsh cold was bound to negatively affect them.  Also, I kind of felt like the blizzard was one of the worst & they hadn't seen one that bad in years past. which is why it was harder to deal with than a normal winter.  Just my takeaway.
    rustywright4
  • Nancylyn said:
    I was pretty disappointed about this episode. So many things....let's see....First...is this really the first winter they've had? I get that Kingdom was always having trouble with their pipes but why was Alexandria unable to cope? Also that isn't how a chimney fire works (if your chimney is blocked with creosote you're going to get a fire up inside the chimney not an explosion, also if the chimney was blocked they would have been able to burn a fire in it at all, the whole place would have filled up with smoke). 

WTF Lydia...she ran off twice...i would have murdered her myself. 

Why couldn't Daryl have been more sympathetic to the King? They made it look like Daryl was going to move in on Carol if her and Ezekiels relationship was rocky. Personally, for me, the Daryl / Carol ship has sailed (romantically). 
    Carol needs to go get her vengeance. I wanted to see more vengeful Carol. I'dve bought Carol and Ezekiel fighting about her going off to hunt down the Whisperers. 

The Whisperers would have needed to get out of the storm like everyone else.....oh yeah..it was still summer where they were. What was that all about? was it a flashback? Are they actually frozen to death in a snowbank? 

Also...put hats on!! grrrr

I suspected that this episode was going to be a bit slower and more of a prelude to next season so by those standards the episode was fine, and very entertaining with the snow zombies which we've never seen and may never see again (i'm hoping we stay in winter wonderland for next season). 

Lydia is under a lot of pressure so I guess I can understand her running off and wanting to die, though the show doesn't always explore those elements of grief well, this was done alright. 

I think Ezekiel just doesn't want Lydia or Daryl around because they are reminders of Henry. 

I am kind of disappointed that they didn't visit the whisperers during the winter because I was very curious as to how they survive in those conditions but my guess is they probably shack up indoors for storms like this. and yeah I think that end scene was a flash back for sure, but why they put that towards the end of the episode was kind of head scratching, they could have just not had the whisperers in this episode at all and it would have been fine. 

Any guesses as to who is on the radio? I know it could be any woman but to me it sounded a lot like maggie. But so long as AMC hasn't renewed any of her contracts then that could be open for debate. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Nancylyn said:
     some walkers don't freeze but lie in wait in snowbanks.
    It's warmer in the snow than out in the wind.
    I’m just imagining these zombies giggling while hiding under the snow barely able to contain themselves
  • Overall, I think it was a mediocre episode. I enjoyed the ice walkers and the storylines with Lydia/Carol and everything involving Negan. But I also felt like this episode was kind of a filler. I feel like the important beats could have been done in a half-hour.

That being said, I'm not complaining because this whole season has been astronomically better than S7 and S8. I am actually looking forward to the 10th season of this show. (IMO, this is where they should be moving toward the endgame of the series which roll into the movies. It would be nice to end the show in a positive light rather than people hate quitting.) 

In other zombie news, has anyone else seen this?!  - LOOKS AMAZINGLY AWESOME!

lengmoMarcimichielterlouw
  • Wasn't pipe maintenance one of Henry's primary jobs at the Kingdom?

Solar Panels not working while buried in snow makes plenty of sense to me.

They don't address the reason for Zeke/Carol's split directly but I'm pretty sure the show is implying they couldn't get over the loss of the kid.

Hats tho, ya they should be wearing fucking hats.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited April 2
    jleav382 said:
    Any guesses as to who is on the radio? I know it could be any woman but to me it sounded a lot like maggie. But so long as AMC hasn't renewed any of her contracts then that could be open for debate. 

Plenty of hints from the comics for that if you want to get into spoiler territory. Though they could do something crazy and make it the FTWD crew after a time jump...
    blue_sleeve
  • redlancer said:
    jleav382 said:

Plenty of hints from the comics for that if you want to get into spoiler territory. Though they could do something crazy and make it the FTWD crew after a time jump...
    Or it could be Jadis to connect the show back to the movies and possibly give Michonne a reason to leave next season. 

But I’m thinking it’s probably comic book related. 
    blue_sleeve
  • edited April 4
    Michelle said:
    I missed the first 15 minutes though.  Why did Carol leave Ezekiel?
    I got the impression she was kinda going nihilist, like she said they were living in a fantasy.  Seeing Ezequiel reminds her of Henry and that's not real life.  Real life is shitty, meaningless zombie-survivalism.

I actually really liked this episode!  "Father Not-the-Father" went a long way toward making me like Negan for once.

Michelle
  • iMatty94 said:
    Enjoying your coverage Imatty. Let me know if you want a guest host sometime. 
    iMatty94Kela15
  • jleav382 said:
    iMatty94 said:

I agree. It's very good!

@iMatty94 If I can give one recommendation. Could you please check your sound levels? Your co-host's voice comes through louder than yours. I don't know whether he just talks louder, or he uses a different microphone than you do... but it's a little uneven. At least to my ears.

I wouldn't bother sending you this feedback if I wasn't enjoying the content very much, of course. This is just a little nitpick.
    Kela15
  • jleav382 said:
    iMatty94 said:

I agree. It's very good!

@iMatty94 If I can give one recommendation. Could you please check your sound levels? Your co-host's voice comes through louder than yours. I don't know whether he just talks louder, or he uses a different microphone than you do... but it's a little uneven. At least to my ears.

I wouldn't bother sending you this feedback if I wasn't enjoying the content very much, of course. This is just a little nitpick.
    Thank you for the feedback, I do think it’s a case that he just talks louder, but I’ll see what I can do. We are onto game of thrones now! :) 

• jleav382 said:
    iMatty94 said:
    Thank you! I shall keep you in mind :) 
  • iMatty94 said:
    jleav382 said:
    iMatty94 said:

I agree. It's very good!

Thank you for the feedback, I do think it’s a case that he just talks louder, but I’ll see what I can do. We are onto game of thrones now! :) 

You have some catching up to do in terms of audience numbers, but let's see who sits on the podcaster's throne at the end of the season :-)