802 - “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”

edited April 2019 in Game of Thrones
Directed by David Nutter
Written by Bryan Cogman 
A_Ron_Hubbard

Comments

• An episode is No one. 
    blue_sleeveSanguinePenguinFreeKilimanjaro
  • As an aside, I think withholding all the titles is a little over the top as a way to prevent spoilers. Like, what would knowing that last week’s episode was called “Winterfell” have spoiled? Unless one of these episode is literally called “The One Where (Insert character here) Dies” they’ve never really felt the need to do this for the other 7 seasons so why bother now?
    Dummybudesigns
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    I'm gonna guess it's called Winterfell Part 2: Gettin' Colder.
    Murderbearsarahtatugablue_sleeveken haleSanguinePenguinhiknmt07Storkiemeg
  • It's episode #69. What more of a title do we need?
    Murderbearasmallcatmajjam0770DavePrkcrawfJJ78FreeKilimanjaro
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 2019
    Damn Sansa’s armor is fire. Not sure if I just never noticed or if it’s new to the episode. 
    MurderbearCapeGabeCeciliaMmajjam0770weeniegirlTravissamartianPeggyB
  • I love Tormund. 
    MurderbearTheRealCrazyDaveRoseTravissamartian
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Lovely use of “Jenny’s song” 
    MurderbearTheRealCrazyDavemylifeaskirkweeniegirlDavePSanguinePenguinsamartian
  • I loved this episode. The only issue I have is Dany having every single important conversation interrupted, but I still like what they're doing with her.
    manhattnikMurderbearmajjam0770samartian
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Still setting the table, but these are reunions and conversations we have waited literally years for. So I'm good. I wish Emelia Clark was a better actor, though. 
    samartianrkcrawfMajorMalfunction
  • I like Clark, I think she’s acted the hell out of that scene in the crypts. 

Anyone else not not loving them sending all the vulnerable people down into the caves full of dead people?

Loved Jorah and Lyanna, that was a cool scene. 
    ken halemanhattnikrustywright4majjam0770SanguinePenguinweeniegirlDavePsamartian
  • I really enjoyed this episode!! I didn't expect Arya+Gendry to happen, but I'm glad it did and I really liked Jamie knighting Brianne!! That scene was great! And add another like for hearing "Jenny's Song!"
    blue_sleevemajjam0770samartian
  • I loved this episode. Every scene felt like it meant something and the emotional connection was very strong for me. Anyone else feel extremely uncomfortable with the Arya sex scene? Seemed unnecessary and almost derailed the flow of the episode. Luckily, Brianne getting knighted quickly got the episode back on track.

I honestly thought we were getting the battle of Winterfell tonight when it was only 25 minutes in and they started preparing for battle. Seemed like there may have one too many conversations after the preparation of battle had begun but Im not going to let it kill what i thought was a great episode that carried an emotional punch. 
    majjam0770samartian
  • Hatorian said:
    Damn Sansa’s armor is fire. Not sure if I just never noticed or if it’s new to the episode. 
    It's new.. I always pay attention to her clothes. It's part of her character that she makes her clothing and it evolves along with her character.
    Hatorianmanhattnikmajjam0770weeniegirlsamartian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I was underwhelmed. Last week’s episode was all hellos and this one was all goodbyes, with a bit of a clip show vibe thrown in (“Remember that battle yada yada...?”). I found myself looking at my phone a lot. 

Also, I have never warmed to Dany and I think I’ve decided she’s just a bit of an arsehole. Don’t @ me. 
    Murderbearken haletelephoneofmadnesssamartian
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I really really really would have loved to hear what Bran told Tyrion.
    hisdudeness915CeciliaMMichelleSanguinePenguinxulsolar22samartianrkcrawf
  • Dee said:
    I was underwhelmed. Last week’s episode was all hellos and this one was all goodbyes, with a bit of a clip show vibe thrown in (“Remember that battle yada yada...?”). I found myself looking at my phone a lot. 

Also, I have never warmed to Dany and I think I’ve decided she’s just a bit of an arsehole. Don’t @ me. 
    I thought Dany might kill Jon after he told her he’s the true king. I had that vibe for a second.
    Deemanhattnikmajjam0770samartian
  • Is anyone else feeling anxious AF right now??!! That episode was incredible!! The buildup was insane and I feel like they did an excellent job putting the viewer right in the middle of it all. I almost wish I had waited a week to watch this because it would have been excellent to have it steamroll right into the battle. I will definitely be doing a rewatch of this episode right before next week’s episode begins. All that being said, there is zero chance I will be going to bed anytime soon. Bravo, double D’s!
    mylifeaskirkmanhattnikliquidmelisarahtatugaMichellemajjam0770SanguinePenguinitsaahsMurderbearDavePand 4 others.
  • They really weren't thinking. They need to keep Podrick in the crypts in case they need to repopulate the earth.
    budesignsTheRealCrazyDavemylifeaskirkasmallcatmanhattnikliquidmeliMichellemajjam0770thepastryarchyhiknmt07and 7 others.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    PUT GHOST IN THE GODDAMN CRYPTS, JON.

And I wish fans would stop calling for Ghost to be let loose into a horde of ice zombies that can only be killed by fire, valyrian steel, or obsidian. WHY DO YOU PEOPLE WANT THESE BEAUTIFUL CGI CREATURES TO DIE?
    CeciliaMmylifeaskirkliquidmeliMichellemajjam0770Murderbearsamartianrkcrawf
    Also, why have none of these self-appointed geniuses not asked Gendry build Jaime a new prosthetic with a big dragon glass weapon attached instead of a an absolutely useless gold hand.  It would take him like 5 minutes.
    blue_sleeveken halemylifeaskirkliquidmeliDeeMichellemajjam0770CeciliaMMurderbearhiknmt07and 5 others.
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    edited April 2019
    Underwhelming on first watch.  The Arya sex scene made sense if you think about a last night on Earth kind of thing, but just felt too forced and rushed to me.

Heartsbane going to AzJorahai!?

[Edit] Missandei arc snoozefest.
    Deetelephoneofmadnesssamartian
    I loved the episode. Then again, I, at no point, ever expected the first 2 episodes to have any action scenes. These slow, tension building episodes is exactly what I expected. And that is what they promised when they described episode 2 as the "calm before the storm" in the Entertainment Weekly articles leading up to the season.
    majjam0770samartianmostlywright
    Official episode title is "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms"
    Hatorian
  • Jenmorris787Jenmorris787 Riverside, CA
    Strange observation...almost every scene had a very obvious, loundly crackling fire noise. Not sure if the sound people just messed up or are they trying to tell me something.
    samartian

• JTKIII said:
     Anyone else feel extremely uncomfortable with the Arya sex scene? Seemed unnecessary and almost derailed the flow of the episode.
    Absolutely.  My sister thought it was out of character, but I disagreed.  I did, however, scream "I don't need to see Arya sideboob!" at the television, so I think a tasteful cut away after making out would've been fine.
    mylifeaskirkmajjam0770weeniegirlTravissamartian
  • ken hale said:

JTKIII said:
     Anyone else feel extremely uncomfortable with the Arya sex scene? Seemed unnecessary and almost derailed the flow of the episode.
    Absolutely.  My sister thought it was out of character, but I disagreed.  I did, however, scream "I don't need to see Arya sideboob!" at the television, so I think a tasteful cut away after making out would've been fine.
    Oh I see you have never seen an episode of Game if Thrones.  ONLY showing side boob is about as tasteful as it gets.
    CeciliaMMurderbearsamartianken hale
  • Dummy said:
    It's episode #69. What more of a title do we need?
    Nice 
    majjam0770Murderbearsamartianbudesigns
  • Strange observation...almost every scene had a very obvious, loundly crackling fire noise. Not sure if the sound people just messed up or are they trying to tell me something.

There was some bad sound editing. I don't even think it was fire sounds. It sounded like the levels were all wrong
    Jenmorris787majjam0770samartian
  • I laughed. I cried. I saw Ghost. We’re good here.
    majjam0770MurderbearSanguinePenguinsamartian
  • Do I have a cold, icy heart of stone for not loving this episode? I didn't dislike it, I just wonder if it was the best use of the VERY limited time we have left with the series? 

When GOT takes on these poignant character moments, they usually nail it. But for the last seven seasons they've made those moments feel organic, and they are thoughtfully planted throughout the show. We've seen these characters confronting what seems like imminent death dozens of times. The biggest difference in this episode is that they are all together, and by virtue of the audience knowing this is the end of the series, we know this is next battle is the most important. This episode just seemed like a vehicle for the double Ds to deliver some emotional satisfaction for the audience, rather than narrative satisfaction. 
    I have a feeling that narrative satisfaction is coming and this episode might be fine once we see the full arc of the season, but without knowing what's coming next I can't help but wonder if this was the smartest use of their time? 

Also, kudos to Arya for getting dat assssss. Gendry has been sweaty and delicious and Arya has never been shy pursuing something she wants. Get it girl!

Jenmorris787thepastryarchytelephoneofmadnesssamartian