802 - “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”

Comments

• General thoughts - 

Tormund's awkward story telling and drinking was amazing

Brienne getting knighted was an amazing emotional payoff for her character

Arya sex was fine for the show, but still feels weird since as a book reader I still have trouble seeing her and Bran as anything but children. 

I guess Arya's weapon is just a darth maul staff - fine, I guess, I feel like you wouldn't need a drawing for that. 

Jamie and Bran reuinion was....actually good? I didn't expect that. Whoever told Bran to dial down the weirdness a bit this season did us all a massive favor - he's actually enjoyable in scenes now. 

Overall, another episode I thoroughly enjoyed, but I am definitely ready for the battle of Winterfell next episode. 

Seems pretty likely with all the mentions of how "safe" the crypts are we're either gonna get undead starks or a secret entrance from the outside into the crypts. 
    majjam0770blue_sleeveweeniegirlSanguinePenguinTravisMHuy
  • I've already seen a lot of hate on the Arya sex scene and it bums me out. I think it was a long time coming for her and Gendry, a reunion and love story I always hoped would come back up. More importantly, this was the first time we've really seen a main female character on the show choose to have sex for the first time - how fitting that it was her! This show has made it a point to reverse the roles and put the power in the hands of women, this is just one more way of doing that.

So many great scenes that will give me chills for years to come, but my favorite was easily Brienne being Knighted by Jaime. I think that was a perfect way to bring that relationship to a close (assuming they're all dead next week).

JUST SO GREAT  :'(
    liquidmelimylifeaskirkpavlovsbellmajjam0770blue_sleevethepastryarchyhiknmt07RosedarwinfeeshyDavePand 6 others.
  • This episode felt like:

"Here is some fan service because we are going to start killing the fuck out of characters now"

"OK, some cool stuff here but we only have a few episodes this season, should we waste a whole episode on this?"

"I promise next week will be like three episodes"

"OK, is it next week yet?"
    Deetelephoneofmadnessbudesigns
  • Aeshaw90 said:
    Do I have a cold, icy heart of stone for not loving this episode? I didn't dislike it, I just wonder if it was the best use of the VERY limited time we have left with the series? 

When GOT takes on these poignant character moments, they usually nail it. But for the last seven seasons they've made those moments feel organic, and they are thoughtfully planted throughout the show. We've seen these characters confronting what seems like imminent death dozens of times. The biggest difference in this episode is that they are all together, and by virtue of the audience knowing this is the end of the series, we know this is next battle is the most important. This episode just seemed like a vehicle for the double Ds to deliver some emotional satisfaction for the audience, rather than narrative satisfaction. 
    I have a feeling that narrative satisfaction is coming and this episode might be fine once we see the full arc of the season, but without knowing what's coming next I can't help but wonder if this was the smartest use of their time? 
    It was a lot of mixed emotions for me. I found myself thinking the same in terms of it not being the most graceful or well done, mixed with loving some of the moments. It just felt like they were tying things up on a checklist a bit. But I actually thought the scenes with Tyrion and the crew were kind of perfect. A bunch of people dealing with things in their own way that would seem incompatible on a bus ride to school. But it’s the last night on earth and they all just kind of roll with everything,  not wanting to leave because as soon as they do - that part of your life is over. Closing time.
  • its been a long series. but what did Theon do to get such a reaction from Sansa? I must be forgetting a scene in which he saved her after he became Reek. 
    bbordpodcartfan
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    This was the best episode of Game of Thrones in 2 or 3 seasons. 

Probably.
    All the ChickensmylifeaskirkMattyWeavesmajjam0770blue_sleeveMurderbearRoseDavePmanhattnikMrXand 4 others.
  • b.larev said:
    I've already seen a lot of hate on the Arya sex scene and it bums me out. I think it was a long time coming for her and Gendry, a reunion and love story I always hoped would come back up. More importantly, this was the first time we've really seen a main female character on the show choose to have sex for the first time - how fitting that it was her! This show has made it a point to reverse the roles and put the power in the hands of women, this is just one more way of doing that.
    ^^ totally agree. It's completely natural for all of us to be a little weirded out at first that this "little sister"-like character has a sexual identity, but at the same time, she has demonstrated a lack of childlike innocence for multiple seasons now. I think the first throat that she slashed might be the moment when we're no longer expected to see her as a young girl. But the young girl turned hellbent on revenge was a tragic move toward adulthood. This enthusiastic pursuit of Gendry is a much more positive spin on her development out of childhood. 
    mylifeaskirkblue_sleeveb.larevJinkyO
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I absolutely loved it, but I'm grading on a curve. The conversations and dialogue were better in the earlier seasons, but I love these pre-battle scenes with people being their most honest and vulnerable in the face of oncoming death. I also just love characters talking, and this will be the last time that many of them will get to do that.

The title is "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms." I ugly cried throughout the Jaime/Brienne knighting scene. It was everything I ever wanted, and I hope that somehow Brienne gets to complete Jaime's page in the White Book if Kings Landing somehow survives.
    mylifeaskirkDeeMrXmajjam0770MurderbearDavePOldGriswoldken haleDaveyMacladylarsenand 1 other.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Watching now, and Jaime just knighted Brienne.  I've cried twice now in this episode!  The first time was when Sansa ran up to Theon and gave him a big hug. :cry: :heart:
    mylifeaskirkMrXweeniegirlCeciliaMDavePMHuy
    @Hatorian Theon saved Sansa from what's-her-name (Ramsay's gf) and they escaped Winterfell, then Theon tried to sacrifice himself to the Bolton guards chasing them, then Brienne and Pod swooped in.
    mylifeaskirkHatorianMrXtelephoneofmadness
  • b.larev said:
    I've already seen a lot of hate on the Arya sex scene and it bums me out. I think it was a long time coming for her and Gendry, a reunion and love story I always hoped would come back up. More importantly, this was the first time we've really seen a main female character on the show choose to have sex for the first time - how fitting that it was her! This show has made it a point to reverse the roles and put the power in the hands of women, this is just one more way of doing that.

Yea, I get if you don't like it narratively, but a lot of the reactions with people feeling squicky seem paternalistic and a little gross. For all intents and purposes, in this world, she's an adult with clearly demonstrated agency.
    mylifeaskirkpavlovsbellliquidmeliMrXDavePSanguinePenguinb.larevladylarsen
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Hatorian said:
    its been a long series. but what did Theon do to get such a reaction from Sansa? I must be forgetting a scene in which he saved her after he became Reek. 
    Sansa was puppy dog eyeing Theon since the beginning of season 6 after he overcame his Reek-ness and helped her escape from the hell they were both in with Ramsey. They have a bond because they were both tortured by Ramsey and they both took the literal leap together to escape him.

When we last saw them in episode 1 of season 6, Theon left Sansa in the capable hands of Brienne, and Sansa was holding onto him tight because she wanted him to stay and she gave him a really emotional sendoff when he left.
    mylifeaskirkMrXHatoriandarwinfeeshySanguinePenguin
  • Got to say...the only thing weirder than Arya’s sex scene is how comfortable and ok everyone is with her being a whirling dervish of death...but throw some side boob and some sex with someone she obviously has deep feelings for in the mix and...oh my Gawd that’s just crossing a line
    mylifeaskirkMrXCeciliaMSanguinePenguinb.larevmtron32
    b.larev said:

Yea, I get if you don't like it narratively, but a lot of the reactions with people feeling squicky seem paternalistic and a little gross. For all intents and purposes, in this world, she's an adult with clearly demonstrated agency.
    YES to both of these. Arya has experienced and committed more horrors than most people would in an entire lifetime, and she is a grown woman. I want her and Sansa to have whatever enthusiastically consensual intimacy they can get, and they are women who would only engage if they initiate it. At least the writers get that right. The male characters have been getting it on, even when they were younger. I don't like the way some fans still infantilize Arya. She is one of the most serious and deadly characters, and the fact that she wanted a basic, human experience like sex before facing death -- it made me very happy for her.

I also loved that Sansa and Theon scene. It was intimate bonding in a different way. 
    majjam0770mylifeaskirkliquidmelijohnnytruanthiknmt07DavePOliviaDsarahtatugab.larevDaveyMacand 1 other.
  • b.larev said:

So many great scenes that will give me chills for years to come, but my favorite was easily Brienne being Knighted by Jaime. I think that was a perfect way to bring that relationship to a close (assuming they're all dead next week).

JUST SO GREAT  :'(
    Well said. I felt discomfort in viewing it because I still think of her character as a child in some ways but I admit I let out  a “you go girl” that she was going for it.  Also the scars made me tear up a bit.

The first episode I was lukewarm about but definitely was feeling the feels during this one.  I am kind of dreading the next episode but also looking forward to it.  
    mylifeaskirkDaveP
  • Schrödinger's Dothraki? 

mylifeaskirkmanhattnikbbord
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 2019
    As i watched this episode I figured it would be divisive since it didn't "move the plot", and that seems maybe true skimming the thread, but goddamn I fucking loved it. To me it was 8 years of character and relationship development payoff and not in a fan-servicy way. I agree with @pavlovsbell that the dialogue wasn't as tight as say season 2 Blackwater or other earlier seasons (it's hard to compete with GRRM) but I think they did all these character moments justice - Jaime & Brienne being at the forefront, but other highlights were Sansa-Dany, Jaime-Bran and Jaime-Tyrion, Arya everything (take your own damn pants off Gendry!), Pod everything (that nod to Brienne before she was knighted!), Sam and Jorah, Tormund'sTMI giant's milk monologue, Gilly & Davos and the spunky young girl (did you catch the notes of "I know I know"?)... I could go on. I'm really impressed that the did this sort of episode when there were only six this season.
    majjam0770johnnytruantmylifeaskirkthepastryarchyliquidmeliDavePMarcisarahtatugab.larev
  • Is the instant talk podcast bad quality for anyone else? Seems like really low bitrate or something.
  • Also GoT recaps using The Good Place screengrabs is the best (read the whole thread):

MurderbearMattyWeavesMarciStorkiemeg
  • MrX said:
    As i watched this episode I figured it would be divisive, and that seems true skimming the thread, but goddamn I fucking loved it. To me it was 8 years of character and relationship development payoff and not in a fan-servicy way. I agree with @pavlovsbell that the dialogue wasn't as tight as say season 2 Blackwater or other earlier seasons (it's hard to compete with GRRM) but I think they did all these character moments justice - Jaime & Brienne being at the forefront, but other highlights were Sansa-Dany, Jaime-Bran and Jaime-Tyrion, Arya everything (take your own damn pants off Gendry!), Pod everything (that nod to Brienne before she was knighted!), Sam and Jorah, Tormund'sTMI giant's milk monologue, Gilly & Davis and the spunky young girl ... I could go on. I'm really impressed that the did this sort of episode when there were only six this season.
    All the pairings were great. I wish we could have gotten just a little more Hound & Arya though. I guess they had to get Beric in there somewhere (he's as close to a redshirt as we have in named characters now). Arya at least got a good parting line though. Maybe I'm hoping that either will open up a little, but that might not be in their characters.
    MrXDaveP
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    The next person who complains nothing happened in these 2 episodes, I’m going to force them to rewatch Season 1 and then cap it off with “My Dinner with Andre”

I was worried this season was going to be nonstop battles, so I’m pretty happy

MrXMurderbearDavePAll the ChickensSanguinePenguinbudesignsDaveyMac
  • Arya's sex scene reminded us she is a woman. She is still very short and has a baby face, and she wears men's clothes, she's definitely a YOUNG woman, but she's a woman.

One thing I found very interesting about GoT as it has gone on is how it slowly but surely took women from the place of being objects, queens and whores and gave them places at the table and more agency. The scene between Sansa and Dany, Arya's sex scene, Brienne being knighted. all examples in this episode. 
    mylifeaskirkliquidmelihiknmt07Marciladylarsen
  • Grey worm and/or Missandei are not long for this world. Never make plans... that scene was the horror movie equivalent of saying “I’ll be right back.”
    mylifeaskirkmajjam0770Murderbearmattsb.larev
  • weeniegirlweeniegirl Atlanta, GA
    Speaking of the Hound, I was hoping we would get a little reunion scene with him and Sansa. I’m sure he’s glad she made it out of Kings Landing, as he did try to rescue her during the battle of the Blackwater and all. He’s got a secret soft spot for the Stark girls, which to me is part of his rough charm. 
    SanguinePenguinken hale
  • Since I grew up in a church going house, I know it's scientific fact that every single time people have sex a baby is made. So we're definitely getting sequel books, right? Like Jon dies, Dany has their baby (because sex) who is heir to her throne. Arya and Gendry's baby (see again: sex) leads a North still unhappy about bending a knee in Robert's Rebellion Two.

Where do I get my paycheck?
    majjam0770MurderbearliquidmeliDavePCeciliaMrkcrawf
  • Vikki12 said:
    Grey worm and/or Missandei are not long for this world. Never make plans... that scene was the horror movie equivalent of saying “I’ll be right back.”

Yup I am pretty confident that they will not be retiring together on a beach in Naath. 
    mylifeaskirkmajjam0770SanguinePenguinalexander.klassen
  • edited April 2019
    Aeshaw90 said:
    Do I have a cold, icy heart of stone for not loving this episode? I didn't dislike it, I just wonder if it was the best use of the VERY limited time we have left with the series? 

When GOT takes on these poignant character moments, they usually nail it. But for the last seven seasons they've made those moments feel organic, and they are thoughtfully planted throughout the show. We've seen these characters confronting what seems like imminent death dozens of times. The biggest difference in this episode is that they are all together, and by virtue of the audience knowing this is the end of the series, we know this is next battle is the most important. This episode just seemed like a vehicle for the double Ds to deliver some emotional satisfaction for the audience, rather than narrative satisfaction. 
    I have a feeling that narrative satisfaction is coming and this episode might be fine once we see the full arc of the season, but without knowing what's coming next I can't help but wonder if this was the smartest use of their time? 
    It was a lot of mixed emotions for me. I found myself thinking the same in terms of it not being the most graceful or well done, mixed with loving some of the moments. It just felt like they were tying things up on a checklist a bit. But I actually thought the scenes with Tyrion and the crew were kind of perfect. A bunch of people dealing with things in their own way that would seem incompatible on a bus ride to school. But it’s the last night on earth and they all just kind of roll with everything,  not wanting to leave because as soon as they do - that part of your life is over. Closing time.
    I think a big reason I'm ok with everything that has happened in these first 2 episodes and how fast everything has moved and fan servicing is because right now we have ALL of our main characters except Cersei, Bronn, and Euron in 1 place. Of course these reunions and discussions are going to seem overly used but I feel like that's what happens when you have 90% of your characters in 1 location versus scattered across the globe.

Also in regards to is this the best use of their time? I don't want 6 straight episodes of battles. This show has very few battles and is extremely character driven. These first 2 episodes are exactly what I expected and exactly what I wanted in this series.

I had a friend complain that it's been too predictable. My response was of course the first 2 episodes are going to be predictable, it's the final season and the show can only go in 1 general direction. But from this point on predictability is out the window in my opinion. We know there will be a battle and we know there will be another battle that involves Cersei but we have no idea how exactly that's going to play out. 
    mylifeaskirkmajjam0770DaveP
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    So do corpses have a “reanimate before” date? There has to be some point beyond which they can’t become wights. Yes, no? You’d think most of the dead people in the crypt would be decades or centuries too old. Right? Also looking forward to headless Ed Stark zombie oh please!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    This pretty well sums up the Arya sex scene leadup:

• edited April 2019
    Loved this episode, but goddamn this build has left me with so much hype it's almost unbearable. Knowing this season is only 6 eps long, things are gonna be totally balls to the wall from here on out.

The Arya Gendry scene was great. It's nice to finally see Arya have some genuine human connection and it gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, she'll have a happy ending.

Also, that entire fireside chat scene was muah *Italian chef kiss*.
    DavePmylifeaskirkjluzaniablue_sleeveb.larev