NBA 2018-2019 Thread

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    What’s with Boogie, man? That’s some shit. Don’t want it.  Poor dude can’t catch a break.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cdrive said:
    What’s with Boogie, man? That’s some shit. Don’t want it.  Poor dude can’t catch a break.
    yeah dude, really unfortunate. esp since it's his first ride in the playoffs. glad they went out and got Bogut
    GSW deserves to lose. they get so excited when they get a turnover and try to be the globe trotters. slow it down, jeez.

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    What the hell was that game? Warriors get sloppy as hell as soon as things aren't going their way. The Clippers are clearly just trying to get them angry and they're constantly taking the bait. I'm obviously biased here but I have not hated someone on the court as much as Beverley in this series in a long time, it feels like hes sitting behind Durant in class just constantly kicking his chair. I hope this was a wake up call and Steph nukes them into orbit the next 3.
  • What's the point of spandex if they don't prevent injuries like that? That was a gnarly looking leg contusion. 
    torn quad for Boogie, super unfortunate. feel bad for the big fella.
  • Sucks for Boogie.  Sucks for any better who suffers a season ending injury in the previous season only to work their way back and then soon there after suffer another season ending injury.  Thought Boogie would help the Warriors in some situations (like against Houston or Denver) but in other scenarios, he wasn't going to really factor into things just because he seemed a liability at times on defensive side of the floor.
    Travis
    haha thought this was kinda funny. what i don't understand is the color scheme. looks more like a Mavs shirt:

Noel
    Chinaski said:
    haha thought this was kinda funny. what i don't understand is the color scheme. looks more like a Mavs shirt:

That shirt can fuck all the way off.
    ChinaskicdriveNoelTravis
    I want that shirt!!!!!!!
    Chinaski
    GSW gotts to love the number '31'. blew a 3-1 series lead a few years ago to CLE. and a 31 pt lead a few nights ago :#
    Noelcdrive
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:

Even though it's the NBA thread, my first thought was the Tampa Bay Lightning. lol
  • Cory said:
    Chinaski said:

Even though it's the NBA thread, my first thought was the Tampa Bay Lightning. lol

Well, if it's for Tampa Bay Lightning, then it's not for this year.  Unless they think their series was best out of 11 and they can still turn it around....
    Cory
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    That Sixers-Nets game was so exciting. Embiid is a monster. The only downside is that I thought the double ejection was over the top.
    Underwood
    Noel said:
    That Sixers-Nets game was so exciting. Embiid is a monster. The only downside is that I thought the double ejection was over the top.

I heard talk that it's because the fight spilled into the crowd which is something the NBA takes pretty seriously
  • Westbrook is one of the most fascinating players in the league.  On the other hand, he has absolute tremendous talent and a motor that does not quit.  But on the other hand, can you really win with him and the style he plays?  You would have thought that OKC could get by Portland, especially without Nurkic, but here we are with OKC possibly losing in 5.

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Dame is soooo good. If he played for a big market team he’d get 10x the love he gets now. Dude is legit. 
    mylifeaskirkDummyTravis
  • That buzzer beater was flat out disgusting. An almost half court, step back jumper in Paul George's face. I'm also glad it knocks out Westbrook's cocky ass out. Maybe less time talking and more time not shooting 11-31. 
    mylifeaskirkTravis
  • Dame is certainly playing at another level and should get the respect that he deserves.  Saying that, I agree with Paul George that it's a bad shot.  And by bad shot, i mean, the statistical chances of that going in are much lower than usual.  Yes, i saw the same stats that said something like Dame was 6 of 8 from like 28 ft and out but still, when you have plenty of time, do you really want your player stopping at 37ft to put up a jumper?
    Dame is certainly playing at another level and should get the respect that he deserves.  Saying that, I agree with Paul George that it's a bad shot.  And by bad shot, i mean, the statistical chances of that going in are much lower than usual.  Yes, i saw the same stats that said something like Dame was 6 of 8 from like 28 ft and out but still, when you have plenty of time, do you really want your player stopping at 37ft to put up a jumper?

Apparently yes. Paul George is embarrassing himself. It seems pretty clear Westbrook has gotten to him.
    He's #2 between Curry and Harden with the amount of logo shots this year, and he's 37% from there.  He's also a cold-blooded clutch assassin in those situations. He was 5-5 from 30+ft in that series.  He has the nickname "Logo Lilliard" for chrissakes.  That was not a bad shot but bad defense by PG.  How are you going to let that guy of all guys slowly  rock you back and forth for the final shot while you're 6 feet away!?  That shot brought back some post-traumatic stress from when he did that over the Rockets 5 years ago.  
    Travis
  • edited April 24
    cdrive said:
    He's #2 between Curry and Harden with the amount of logo shots this year, and he's 37% from there.  He's also a cold-blooded clutch assassin in those situations. He was 5-5 from 30+ft in that series.  He has the nickname "Logo Lilliard" for chrissakes.  That was not a bad shot but bad defense by PG.  How are you going to let that guy of all guys slowly  rock you back and forth for the final shot while you're 6 feet away!?  That shot brought back some post-traumatic stress from when he did that over the Rockets 5 years ago.  

But this is my small problem with the argument of "he's 5 for 5 from 30 ft".  So, by that token, if at the end of the quarter, if player X throws up a 75 foot shot and makes it 3 times during a 5 game series, do you really want that same player doing that in a tie game when they also have the ability to maybe get a closer range shot?  Yes, i know i;'m exaggerating here but i read 37% as "he's missing that shot 63% of the time".  I'm guessing if someone really did the numbers, they'd show that Dame has a higher percentage when he's closer to the basket (say between 15 to 20 feet, or even closer since he has the skills to penetrate).  Basically, Dame had the luxury of it being a tie game.  If he does that when they're down 1 and he misses, i'm going berserk if i'm a Portland fan about why didn't he try to get a better (higher percentage) shot.  That's my point.
    cdrive said:

But this is my small problem with the argument of "he's 5 for 5 from 30 ft".  So, by that token, if at the end of the quarter, if player X throws up a 75 foot shot and makes it 3 times during a 5 game series, do you really want that same player doing that in a tie game when they also have the ability to maybe get a closer range shot?  Yes, i know i;'m exaggerating here but i read 37% as "he's missing that shot 63% of the time".  I'm guessing if someone really did the numbers, they'd show that Dame has a higher percentage when he's closer to the basket (say between 15 to 20 feet, or even closer since he has the skills to penetrate).  Basically, Dame had the luxury of it being a tie game.  If he does that when they're down 1 and he misses, i'm going berserk if i'm a Portland fan about why didn't he try to get a better (higher percentage) shot.  That's my point.
    The luxury of it being a tie game is what let him get that shot off. He said he didn't want to put it in the hands of the refs and risk going for a basket and rely on getting a call in a situation they're going to play hard defense against and the refs are less likely to call that kind of contact in a tie game. If they're down one it's a different situation.
    Travis
  • That shot was so goddamn money! Watch those celebration tackles though. Ask Kendrys Morales about that situation.  Anyhoo, I'm so glad this happened. The Zombie Sonics can fuck right off.
    cdriveDummy
  • cdrive said:

The luxury of it being a tie game is what let him get that shot off. He said he didn't want to put it in the hands of the refs and risk going for a basket and rely on getting a call in a situation they're going to play hard defense against and the refs are less likely to call that kind of contact in a tie game. If they're down one it's a different situation.

I read or saw that quote by Dame.  And while I get what he's trying to say, by his logic, then why not just chuck the ball from his own free throw line.  The point is to get the best possible shot.  What he did was not get the best possible shot but just take a shot because there was no down side if he missed other than had he missed and Portland loses in OT people ask why the hell did he not try to get a better shot at the end of regulation.

The bottom line is he made it and everyone is super impressed.  I'm super impressed.  Just doesn't mean that just because he made the shot that it was the smart play to do.

• WOW, just watching Houston Golden State, did the league forget about the whole Golden State taking out Kawhi Leonard a few years ago?  Pretty sure the rule is suppose to allow for the shooter to land.  Now, maybe some exaggeration on Houston's part, but still, others were not.  Really thought that Houston needed to win Game 1.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    From the replays I saw, it’s kind of hard to agree on the whole “landing space”. If the shooter is going straight up and down, sure he’s owed the space. But we see Harden continuous jumping from one spot to another far from where he took off. Don’t think it’s fair to say he’s owed a 5 foot radius to land. Some missed calls sure, but I think it definitely went both ways. I think it’s jusr surprising to see harden do his usual dance and NOT get the calls. Which I’m all for, think the league caters to him far too much. 
    Houston absolutely needed this game but I wouldn’t count them out. This series is going seven games, just like last year. It’s goinng to be a hell of a series.