Avengers Endgame - Full Spoiler discussion

BenBen Melbourne - Australia
Hi all, I thought I'd set up a thread for spoiler discussions on Avengers Endgame. I'm surprised that it was released in Australia a coupe of days ago. I went and saw it in a small, Queensland  regional theater, where there are never any more than 15 people at and it was a full house. The audience were clapping and cheering (and some audible sobbing). Overall I thought it was good but with a few logic holes and a few moments that didn't land for me. I think I'm going to be in the minority but I'd give it a solid 7/10. When Cap picked up the hammer they lost me a bit. Anyway I'm very curious to hear what people thought of it.
RICHONNE

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I thought cap picking up the hammer was the best part of the movie. My crowd went nuts what that happened
    Naaahstevenduran1240rkcrawfBloodyTacoFreddyblue_sleeveGBraltaMurderbearSglittlefield
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    Mine did too, I don't know why that didn't get me going. It was a super cool visual. My crowd also had big laughs when Thanos had his head cut off. One thing though that I'm confused by is that 5 years passes by the end of the film, but Spider-Man goes back to school with Ned and MJ? Wouldn't they be in University by now? 
    stevenduran1240RICHONNErkcrawfken haleBroRad33
  • edited April 25
    Everyone who was snapped was brought back five years later, but at the same age they were when it happened. We can assume they're going to play fast and loose and say that all the relevant kids from Spider-Man were snapped to allow that series to continue.
    BenZoner07stevenduran1240raabnhoodBloodyTacoFreddyGBralta
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    How crazy is it that within the same week we got an episode of television and a movie that were essentially nothing but the best possible examples of fan service that brilliantly wrapped up the two biggest franchises of the past decade?
    Benstevenduran1240raabnhoodrkcrawf
  • Loved it but please tell me how you kill yourself from the past and thereby yourself in the future is perfectly fine and with all the back to the future references they could have had nebula fade away like mj fox.
  • ncat said:
    Loved it but please tell me how you kill yourself from the past and thereby yourself in the future is perfectly fine and with all the back to the future references they could have had nebula fade away like mj fox.

because to yourself in the past your future self is your past self.
    Murderbear
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    its not the past. its alternative timelines. thats why Hulk says its not back to the future and why they can't just kill baby Thanos. 
    raabnhoodBloodyTaco
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 26
    It's kindof insane that Thor was fat for pretty much the entire movie.
    podcartfanraabnhoodAww_PHuuCkBloodyTacoFreddy
  • I'm new here, so pardon my first impression/post. I would have cut 45 minutes from the movie. Captain Marvel was annoying and had so little screen time. The Avengers were mopey and pathetic for way too long. The Hulk was awesome. Thor had some good scenes but basically gave up and quit in some ways. I seriously was about to give the movie 10 more minutes before actually walking out. I'm glad Paul Rudd appeared when he did. Parts of the movie outright, like Jedi, sucked. Parts were brilliant. I think they could have thrown away an hour and wrote a much better hour instead.

What good was Captain Marvel? I mean she was indifferent to humanity, because she has better things to do? Could she have flown to Tony Stark a week earlier so he wouldn't fear suffocation?  She destroys that ship in seconds... perhaps that immense power would have come in handy at times in the movie. What exactly did she do with the glove before flying off screen?

I don't understand the girl power moment. I assumed they were all fighting in the battle rather than waiting on the sidelines for their grand entrance. That made the woman look stupid, and not powerful. I assumed they were already engaged in the battle and kicking ass. Silly me to assume such things.

Strong women characters are great, but that scene was silly. I liked the Scarlet Witch, and the woman keeping the stone from the Hulk.  They were cool. I thought Gwyneth Paltrow was excellent with Tony at the End. I thought Iron Man was great. I never was a fan, but he was great in this movie. I can't wait to hear other people's takes.

Some parts great and some parts were awful.  I can't see 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. Disney must own them. I can't be the only one with these feelings.  It's just my thoughts.

• DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    Man.  Overall I enjoyed this movie, but I had a LOT of issues with it.  Will be very interested to hear what the boys think tomorrow.

This will undoubtedly be an unpopular opinion, but Infinity War > Endgame for this moviegoer.  And it’s not even close.
    NaaahZoner07BenRICHONNEken haleDyecast42
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    edited April 26
    I just read a review on the Age - Melbournes main newspaper. the following quote sums it up for me:

"For young adults who have literally grown up with these movies, the experience may be emotionally overwhelming. The hint that we are all surrogate members of the Marvel family can also be seen as an uncommonly slick sales pitch―but right before the end credits I confess I too may have teared up, just for a moment."

For me the emotional hits would have been devastating if I hadn't already seen them play out in many other movies. but the poor little kid who loudly proclaimed that Iron Man is his favorite just before he died, was in floods of tears. poor little guy. But that will probably be me on Monday watching game of thrones! 

Naaah
  • Sometimes I feel the endings to these works never live up to our imaginations and the joy they gave us along the way.

I'm feeling hopeful on Thrones. I'm mixed on End Game.  It was an amazing run. Great characters and joy along the way. I wanted to hear Podrick sing "Never Wanted to Leave" with the death of Stark. 

Captain America had a great scene on the bench.
    Benstevenduran1240
  • edited April 26
    Man.  Overall I enjoyed this movie, but I had a LOT of issues with it.  Will be very interested to hear what the boys think tomorrow.

This will undoubtedly be an unpopular opinion, but Infinity War > Endgame for this moviegoer.  And it’s not even close.
    Yeah...I'm with you. One of the things that this movie lacked that made some of the predecessors so good i.e. Infinity war/civil war was the ballet fighting style between all the characters and using their powers in combination, which there was very little of this movie, it was mostly just people having their little moments to kick thanos' ass which all things considered was still cool to watch. I'll need to watch this again but I feel like i'm not crazy when I say that this time travel stuff has all sorts of holes in it. They explain that it is not back to the future style but rather multi-universes. So how does captain america end up old in "our" future? Wouldn't he had stayed in that time where he reunites with Peggy while his "other" self is still frozen in the Atlantic? It just doesn't compute based on the rules previously established. And oh god...Fat thor...was kind of a huge failure for me. All in all, i'd give it a 8/10 because this is after all the epic finale, but I left Infinity war with a bigger smile on my face. 
    ken hale
  • I enjoyed it, but I was also spoiled by some asshole that posted a gif tony snapping Thanos away, however I thought that was an alternate timeline or a dark timeline because I just couldn't see Tony making a person disappear. So I came with that in mind. The whole beginning was a whiplash. I didn't expect for Tony to be saved so quickly and I am glad that Captain Marvel was used sparingly. I was also satisfied with Thanos getting beheaded, it was also super unexpected. I thought the movie did a good job blending storylines and keeping the pace up there but I was not satisfied with Gamora's entry to being alive and Black Widow sacrificing herself, it just felt unearned, narratively I get it because she doesn't have anyone to really go back to but I still felt like she could have been the leading earth Avenger since we see her training the new recruits at the end of AoU and she is pretty much the leader when all the other Avengers are scattered. Just didn't get the same emotional response I received from Gamora's even though I expected Gamora's death a mile away. I have to give it a second watch and see how I feel about the decisions they made. Overall I was satisfied but it did leave something to be desired. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited April 26
    jleav382 said:

Yeah...I'm with you. One of the things that this movie lacked that made some of the predecessors so good i.e. Infinity war/civil war was the ballet fighting style between all the characters and using their powers in combination, which there was very little of this movie, it was mostly just people having their little moments to kick thanos' ass which all things considered was still cool to watch. I'll need to watch this again but I feel like i'm not crazy when I say that this time travel stuff has all sorts of holes in it. They explain that it is not back to the future style but rather multi-universes. So how does captain america end up old in "our" future? Wouldn't he had stayed in that time where he reunites with Peggy while his "other" self is still frozen in the Atlantic? It just doesn't compute based on the rules previously established. And oh god...Fat thor...was kind of a huge failure for me. All in all, i'd give it a 8/10 because this is after all the epic finale, but I left Infinity war with a bigger smile on my face. 
    The thing about time travel is you can't really question it. There's not a single book, movie, video game, song, anything that deals with time travel that doesn't immediately break down as soon as you start to question it. Just go with what they give you and you'll usually have a good time.

When time travel is introduced, you pretty much have to decide if you're willing to have fun or you want to ruin it by thinking too much about it.
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited April 26
    Overall, I enjoyed this movie and I think it did a great job.

However, I am a little bit torn. On the one hand, I was somewhat disappointed in this movie (my hype levels were through the roof, this is the end of an era in the MCU, etc.). On the other hand, I can really appreciate the difficulty of the task in front of the filmmakers to pull this thing off. So many disparate characters, time travel. Y'know, comic book stuff.

The first hour was solid. Very funny, and got everyone set up for the film. 

The second hour dragged a bit for me. There were so many plotlines the film had to juggle, all this time travel craziness, and WAY too much Hawkeye. Nobody cares about Hawkeye. I really didn't enjoy Black Widow and Hawkeye fighting over who could kill themselves first for the Soul Stone.

The third hour was awesome, with every superhero returning after Hulk snapped them back, as well as Cap. America wielding Mjolnir. There weren't as many creative superpower-combo-attacks as I would have liked, but the climax was still done well.

With so many mantles being passed on in this film (Thor -> Valkyrie : Cap. America -> Falcon : Iron Man -> Spider-Man???), I'm anxious to see where the MCU goes after this.

ken hale
  • Needs a second viewing but have to say I left the cinema feeling a bit disappointed. For me, Infinity War raised the bar SO high, that maybe I was expecting too much. 
    Some good moments and a very difficult plot to juggle but I just didn't get those same 'feels' I got with Infinity War. The stakes never felt as high and the emotional weight wasn't there to the same degree. Was a tad more standard superhero movies fare, this time around. 7/10. 
    Naaahken hale
  • Am I remembering this correctly or did Jim and Aaron say that they weren't able to secure opening day tickets? I don't see End Game on their schedule. 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Overall, I enjoyed this movie and I think it did a great job.

However, I am a little bit torn. On the one hand, I was somewhat disappointed in this movie (my hype levels were through the roof, this is the end of an era in the MCU, etc.). On the other hand, I can really appreciate the difficulty of the task in front of the filmmakers to pull this thing off. So many disparate characters, time travel. Y'know, comic book stuff.

The first hour was solid. Very funny, and got everyone set up for the film. 

The second hour dragged a bit for me. There were so many plotlines the film had to juggle, all this time travel craziness, and WAY too much Hawkeye. Nobody cares about Hawkeye. I really didn't enjoy Black Widow and Hawkeye fighting over who could kill themselves first for the Soul Stone.

The third hour was awesome, with every superhero returning after Hulk snapped them back, as well as Cap. America wielding Mjolnir. There weren't as many creative superpower-combo-attacks as I would have liked, but the climax was still done well.

With so many mantles being passed on in this film (Thor -> Valkyrie : Cap. America -> Falcon : Iron Man -> Spider-Man???), I'm anxious to see where the MCU goes after this.

I'm not excited to watch the league of substitute avengers in the movies.  It didn't work in the comics and I don't see it happening here. 
    Ok, I this movie had some very high highs at some points and it was very slow at others and I had some major issues with others. Kind of the very good, the bad and the ugly.  I know they grade on a curve for the MCU movies, but I'm surprised the RT score is so high. 

I really enjoyed the focus on Hawkeye, he's a core avenger in the comics and it was good to see him getting all that screen time. That scene at the beginning was heartbreaking.

Fat Thor was a silly joke that went on far too long.  I thought for sure the drink his mother gave him in Asgard would thin him down or once he stopped constantly drinking beer he would thin down quickly.  That scene with his mom was very good and Rene Russo did a great job taking care of her boy.  Such a good scene of a mother's love. 

I really, really enjoyed Cap wielding Mjolnir, I saw it coming a mile away (comic history and AofU when he moved the hammer a bit).  That was good, but it enters a massive plot hole on how Mjolnir is with him and not with Thor in the past. I get alternate timelines/multiverses ala DC comics, but that is a TON of handwaving.  I like the very end giving him his moment with Sharon.  I don't want to see Falcon trying to be cap, that was a massive failure in the comics.  They did do a good job though leaving it open for Cap to come back whenever the subs screw up though and if the actor ages and wants to come back, it makes sense story wise.   That was a perfect denouement for the entire movie series IMO. 

I liked Scarlet Witch, she should have been the one they focused on more instead of other newer female characters IMO.  She's a core avenger from the comics from WAY back, she should have played a bigger role. 

The Hawkeye/Black Widow stuff was good, very emotional.  She's getting a movie and Vision is going to be in the SW/Vision Disney+ show, why didn't we get to see them at the end?  I was surprised that such a big character didn't get more play at the end of the movie.  

Unpopular opinion on here I'm guessing, but Carol Danvers is just a terrible character.  She's way too OP'd and frankly has nothing but disdain for the avengers.   I really don't look forward to watching here in anything going forward.  She's not Superman or WW, why on earth make her be the dues ex machina at the end to "save" everyone?  Again, what the Hell is she doing when they are literally trying to save the Universe?  I did think they REALLY used the bacon gauntlet at the end with the girl power charge.  Went a bit overboard there.

Wish we got more Dr. Strange instead of star lord, he's just a better character and I enjoyed the nod at the end to Tony.  They've done a good job with him, I'm more excited to see him moving forward than I was after his first two movies. 

I enjoyed Spider-man playing keep away with the gauntlet at the end, very true to the character. 

IM will be back somehow (this is ultimately a comic book and no one stays dead forever), but they did a good job with him in this movie.  Very sad at the end, but fitting for the character. 

I'll probably have to watch it again to catch all the easter eggs, but damn it's probably 20 minutes too long.  

The Stan Lee cameo was golden and again it was glad to see the heart of the MCU get a happy ending. 

Now bring on the X-Men and let's get these core avengers back in 6-7 years for a big X-Men/Avengers crossover!

DoubleA_RonNaaahAww_PHuuCk
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    rhcoop said:
    IM will be back somehow (this is ultimately a comic book and no one stays dead forever), but they did a good job with him in this movie.  Very sad at the end, but fitting for the character. 
    I mean, I get why they had to do it, but I thought that literally book-ending the major story arc of the MCU with Iron Man (no, I don't count Howard the Duck) was just a bit too cute.

rhcoop said:
    Fat Thor was a silly joke that went on far too long.
    100% agree.  It was a great reveal, but wore out its welcome quickly.

rhcoop said:
    I did think they REALLY used the bacon gauntlet at the end with the girl power charge.  Went a bit overboard there.
    Super cringey, and felt SO forced.  My wife and I looked at each other at that moment and simultaneously rolled our eyes.

rhcoop said:
    Ok, I this movie had some very high highs at some points and it was very slow at others and I had some major issues with others. Kind of the very good, the bad and the ugly.  I know they grade on a curve for the MCU movies, but I'm surprised the RT score is so high. 

I'll probably have to watch it again to catch all the easter eggs, but damn it's probably 20 minutes too long. 
    Sums up my feelings as well.  I'm sure a rewatch would help quell some of my concerns, but instead I think I'll settle for letting someone smarter than me analyze and explain it instead.   :)
    rhcoop
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I personally loved the little female Avengers assembling moment, just a shame that Black Widow couldn't have made it. The franchise has treated that character so dismissively from start to finish. 
    NaaahBloodyTaco
    amyja89 said:
    I personally loved the little female Avengers assembling moment, just a shame that Black Widow couldn't have made it. The franchise has treated that character so dismissively from start to finish. 
    I don't think they have other than not letting her have her own movie first for whatever reason.  

She's a major character in Winter Soldier and all the Avengers movies. 

The character they gave short thrift has been Scarlet Witch.  She's a lot more important in the comics than some of these new characters ever have been. 
    BloodyTacoken hale
  • Hunkulese said:
    jleav382 said:

The thing about time travel is you can't really question it. There's not a single book, movie, video game, song, anything that deals with time travel that doesn't immediately break down as soon as you start to question it. Just go with what they give you and you'll usually have a good time.

When time travel is introduced, you pretty much have to decide if you're willing to have fun or you want to ruin it by thinking too much about it.
    Nah man, it's easy. Time is a flat circle, just walk around to the other side and reach through the library Matthew McConaughey style ;) 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    rhcoop said:
    amyja89 said:
    I don't think they have other than not letting her have her own movie first for whatever reason.  

She's a major character in Winter Soldier and all the Avengers movies. 

The character they gave short thrift has been Scarlet Witch.  She's a lot more important in the comics than some of these new characters ever have been. 
    Definitely agree that Winter Soldier was the best she got, but things like that whole romance angle with Banner in whichever Avengers it was, that was god awful. 

Other people have put it in to better words than I can, this pretty sums up how I feel. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/04/avengers-endgame-black-widow-death-scarlett-johansson
  • Hunkulese said:
    jleav382 said:

I think you nailed this on the head.  Time travel is always messy in anything we see it in.  I'm saving my main criticism regarding the time travel part of it until I see Spiderman Far From Home because I feel like that needs to address at least something regarding the time travel part of this.  

This movie certainly had it's flaws, but I feel like it had many more emotional and awesome moments.  
  • edited April 26
    So . . . I actually loved Endgame, but in this odd way. If you were to ask me objectively which was the better movie between this and Infinity War, I'd have to say Infinity War. However, Steve Rogers and his supporting cast is my favorite thing about the MCU, so Endgame is the more impactful movie to me. However, I have a sneaking feeling despite the high tomato rating, the overall opinion by the fans will be that not only Infinity War is better but it could also potentially be pretty divisive a la Last Jedi or maybe a better comparison is Dark Knight Rises.

Now that I said that, on to my gripes. I know most people love the final battle, but is there anyone else besides me that felt like the big battle once all the Marvel superheroes show up was the weakest part of the entire film? That massive battle while having an awesome moments here and there, felt wildly perfunctory to me. It also got a huge eyeroll from me when they got all the girls together. Don't get me wrong, I get why they did it and if done organically I would've loved it, but I thought it was done very lazily and it came off as a really pandering move on the part of Marvel Studios. I was terrified that the next thing they were going to show were all the heroes portrayed my minority actors uniting to attack Thanos to pander to folks like me. I don't know, I think there was a much more clever way to do that but at the same time it doesn't hurt the film. Also the battle was a little too chaotic and mindless. I was able to follow what was happening so at least it wasn't like a Bay Transformers movie, but I think Infinity War pulled off the massive battles better. Also I wasn't too pleased that Black Widow died but I'll give props to Marvel for making me think she was 100% safe with her movie coming out next year.

Enough of the glass half empty stuff, LOVED the fight before the other heroes showed up between Thanos and the big 3 and audibly yelled/clapped when Steve was able to wield Mjolnir. Big geek moment there. Good exit for RDJ and it was the right move to kill off Iron Man. LOVED Paul Rudd getting so much screentime. Loved the time heist and some Winter Soldier characters appearing in the Avengers 1 timeline.

That closing scene though, with Peggy and Steve won me over and cemented this as a more rewarding film than probably its quality. So this begs the question, in Winter Soldier when Peggy mentions her husband, are we to assume that she was speaking about Steve? And does Steve tell her he smooched with his niece-in-law?

Actually as far as I can tell from forums and social media, you share the common opinion. In fact I've seen some serious backlash. I hope its just instant takes and it dies down, because I don't know if I can handle another geek divide.

DoubleA_Ron
  • Is this also a good place to discuss the podcast? Because I would like to register my complete amazement at Jim and A. Ron’s reaction to The Lion King trailer. 

A. Ron asked “Who is asking for this movie though?” and the answer is everyone but him, give or take a few who will more than likely reply to echo his sentiments. And Jim wanting the lions to be cuter is just...man. IT’S A LION. 
    BloodyTacoseanray
  • To respond to Jim and A Ron's question about the lanky kid that shows up in the end, he's the kid Tony Stark meets in the middle of Iron Man 3.
    BloodyTacoA_Ron_Hubbardseanray