803 - “The Long Night”

Comments

• I thought the whole episode was awesome. I cheered when Arya came launching out to kill the NK. 
    BensarahtatugaFreddyAussieGregUnderwoodElisaliquidmeli
  • This was probably one of the worst episodes of television I’ve ever watched from a visual quality standpoint. Couldn’t see shit. Was there a dragon battle or clouds fighting over the same airspace?
    rustywright4j0n1c4darthcaedus1138MFG
  • Did Rhaegal die?
  • "The Long Night"?

More like "So Long, Night"
    Demerol
  • "The Stream was dark and full of artifacts." 

Beautiful horror, can't want to see it again without it being downscaled so much by HBO Now.
    j0n1c4manhattnikzillbillieElisaZoner07
  • edited April 2019
    A.Ron not letting go of the lack of dire wolf budget on the live instant recap is making me cry laughing.
    TheRealCrazyDaveMichelleCapeGabebookappealbbordSchluppdarthcaedus1138ElisaZoner07
  • visi0n said:
    "The Stream was dark and full of artifacts." 

Beautiful horror, can't want to see it again without it being downscaled so much by HBO Now.
    Live on DIRECTV Satellite was bad too. Smoke/fog/snow was a complete mess.
    visi0n
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Rhaegal and Ghost are all good. So say the official previews for next week. Should have been made clear during the episode, rather than seeing it in a preview, but there you go.

Fans are still going to be asking where they are all week because not everyone watches previews or frame-by-frame of the previews.
    hisdudeness915gjulleenj0n1c4gguenotdarthcaedus1138DemerolraabnhoodElisaawookiee
  • The Night King blew a 28-3 lead with 2:17 left in the 3rd quarter.
    OliviaDHatorianCapeGaberustywright4TheRealCrazyDaveFreddySanguinePenguinmattszillbilliedarthcaedus1138and 4 others.
  • edited April 2019
    Who had 82 minutes to deliver an epic confrontation between the Night King and our main characters with legitimate stakes on the line, only to softball the most predictable, safe, and nonsensical conclusion to the great war?

These guys!

httpspmcdeadline2fileswordpresscom201609game-of-thrones-db-weiss-david-benioffjpgw450h253crop1

j0n1c4alexander.klassenbbordSchluppzillbilliedarthcaedus1138kojiattwoodraabnhoodJTKIIIgjames80
    edited April 2019
    Also, I feel bad for people who didnt watch the episode with all the lights on and didnt have good picture quality, especially if it was the satellite or cable channel feed instead of the stream like Amazon, HBO NOW or HBO Go.

Yall probably didn't see anything.

We saw everything just fine in or dark living room on HBO Now, although there were a few instances when you could tell that their servers were being destroyed by the streams.
    FreddyElisa
  • I’m also seriously baffled by the direwolf CGI budget. Like can we not animate this fucking wolf for longer than 5 minutes??? There were 3 fucking dragons in this episode! One of them was a zombie!! It can’t be that hard/cost that much to animate a goddamn bigger than average wolf!! 
    j0n1c4RenaisWomnBroRad33bborddarthcaedus1138FreeKilimanjaroraabnhoodElisa
  • Arya and Jon are the Starkiest-Starks. 

Also, and I hope this is true, wasn’t there a secret passage Bran and Rickon used to escape that came out at the God-Tree?  I head-cannoned that’s where Arya came from, and if Bran knew about it—of course she did too. 
    raabnhoodElisa
  • They didn't kill nearly enough of the main characters.... it was almost a damn happily ever after ending.  And ginning up the tension when these survivors of the actual apocalypse take on Cersei and Velvet Euron is going to be damn difficult, I don't see how they're going to do it.....
    j0n1c4rustywright4bborddarthcaedus1138gjames80
  • I didn’t love Ghost going into battle with the Dothraki, he should have stayed and guarded Sansa. How bad ass would it have been to see him protecting the crypt?  Maybe he’s still salty she got his sister killed. 

I did love the way Ghost was running, teeth bared in anticipation...  the lead up was really good. 
    j0n1c4BrieanneBroRad33darthcaedus1138rhcoopraabnhoodElisagjames80
  • Dear HBO,

Some of us have 4K TVs. Until the time comes when you broadcast in 4k can you please keep the night shots to a minimum? 

Thank you
    TheRealCrazyDavevisi0nElisa
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Hunkulese said:
    I also think it really hurt that we really didn't know anything at all about the Night King's motivations.
    The creators have told us what his motivations are, both in interviews and in the show. We know that he is the embodiment of death, and he used to be one of the First Men many thousands of years ago until the children of the Forest kidnapped him and ritualistically turned him into a WMD bent on destroying humanity.

There's a difference in you not knowing his motivation and you simply not liking what you've been told that his motivations are. Maybe we dont know why he has gone into a long hibernation since the last Long Night, but many writers would argue that we dont need to know that for this story and that it's better to leave that unanswered.
    If that's the final answer, it makes it even worse. The big bad we've been scared of for the past 23 years had zero motivations of his own and was only a mistake?
    DJ_150
  • Which Stark was better this weekend, Arya or Tony?
    majjam0770rkcrawf
  • Ender's Game ably subverted the unknowable evil swarm enemy 30+ years ago now. Undead Dungeons and Dragons villains from like the 1980s (Lord Soth and the Lords of Ravenloft, I'm looking at you) have more interesting motivation than the Night King on this TV show.    Martin very explicitly made the Night King and the Army of the Dead a construct, they're not a force of nature like the aliens in Alien(s).  I have a hard time believing that the level of nuance he was going for with his apocalyptic villain was less character motivation than freaking Sauron?

Hunkulese said:
    I also think it really hurt that we really didn't know anything at all about the Night King's motivations.
    The creators have told us what his motivations are, both in interviews and in the show. We know that he is the embodiment of death, and he used to be one of the First Men many thousands of years ago until the children of the Forest kidnapped him and ritualistically turned him into a WMD bent on destroying humanity.

There's a difference in you not knowing his motivation and you simply not liking what you've been told that his motivations are. Maybe we dont know why he has gone into a long hibernation since the last Long Night, but many writers would argue that we dont need to know that for this story and that it's better to leave that unanswered.

kojiattwoodMFG
    Yall really need to watch "The Game Revealed: The Long Night" extra 20-minute BTS  for this episode. I recommend them for every episode, but especially for this episode. So much hard work by the actors, director and everyone involved.

Also, you get to see the well lit version of the battle for those who couldnt see anything tonight.
    MichelleSanguinePenguinwebbsinfernoDemerolElisaliquidmelirkcrawf
  • It stands to reason that a gloat-based society would see it's downfall come from hubris. Sure, the Night King could let his limitless army mop up before he enters Winterfell, but who is he going to smirk at? Bran? He's just going give you that dead mackerel stare. Worth the risk.
    budesignsvisi0nmostlywright
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    edited April 2019
    Someone had posted a touched up version of the trailer that brightened up all the dark scenes... and it was glorious. They should have hired them on for this final season. I loved the episode but holy shit was it tough to watch sometimes.

it was still sunny when I watched this so I had to create makeshift black curtains for my windows... didnt matter, still grainy As hell.
  • Few points.

1. Holy CGI, Batman
    2. No pay off from Ed, Mormont or any of the character turning to Wights. They show them turning then 5 minutes later it’s over. I don’t think they showed a single interaction of a wight character with an important character
    3. Not going to complain about the dark. I already knew they did it on purpose for CGI reasons
    4. Poor Theon. Should have just waited. Fucking Bran caused his death.
    5. What the hell did Bran do? “Im gonna go now” so he wargs into ravens and does nothing? Or did I miss him doing something important while warging? 
    6. The AOTD conveniently didn’t kill like 5 characters. They surrounded Brienne, Jaime and others who should have easily been stabbed to death. 
    7. Still not a fan of Arya saving the day completely unannounced. At least set up a scene where she’s doing some assassin shit and getting close to the knight king. 
    8. That’s all I have to complain about. Besides that it was epic. Loved the Dothraki getting snuffed. Loved the overall battle and scenes. 
    alexander.klassen
  • ARYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    cdriveMurderbearUnderwoodElisa
    edited April 2019
    Ender's Game ably subverted the unknowable evil swarm enemy 30+ years ago now. Undead Dungeons and Dragons villains from like the 1980s (Lord Soth and the Lords of Ravenloft, I'm looking at you) have more interesting motivation than the Night King on this TV show.    Martin very explicitly made the Night King and the Army of the Dead a construct, they're not a force of nature like the aliens in Alien(s).  I have a hard time believing that the level of nuance he was going for with his apocalyptic villain was less character motivation than freaking Sauron?
    GRRM did not make this Night King. The NightS King in the book is no longer around and has nothing to do with being a leader of the white walkers or wights. D&D just stole the name from the books because it sounds cool. Maybe GRRM will give the Others in the book a leader in the last two books and let their purpose be known, but he hasnt done that yet.

We dont even know if they have a leader or ANY kind of structure or organization in the books. The Others are such a mystery that we have barely seen or been told anything about outside of a few stories that have been passed down and a couple of encounters. No character like the Night King has come forward yet.

Again though, my point was only that there is a difference in not being given a motivation and you just not liking the motivation you were given. Not liking the motivation is fine, but I dont think it's correct to say that there was not one.
    Elisarkcrawf
  • GatorGirl said:
    Did Arya “become” a white and then sneak up on the Knight King and kill him?  #badass
    That's a good question but I thought she used her assassin/sneaky skills.
    MurderbearElisa
  • edited April 2019
    Fuck that stupid, miserable shit.  If I hadn't been at my sister's house I would have thrown the remote through the tv.  As it is, I cancelled HBO as soon as I got home.  And, no, Arya-Ex-Machina doesn't make up for all the bullshit.
    All the ChickensCapeGabebbordzillbillie
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    edited April 2019
    I was bored. Once it cut away for like the thrid time.of either Sam, Jaime, The Hound or Brienne fake-dying, I was done.

For a show that is never scared of killing a main character to have the death of Theon and Jorah three episodes before the end of the season and still have alive, if you discount the big three of Jon, Dany, Tyrion:
    Sansa
    Arya
    Bran
    Samwell
    THE HOUND
    TORMUND
    BRIENNE
    JAIME
    DAVOS
    GREY WORM
    PODRICK FFS

This should have been a fitting end to many characters and they flubbed their fucking lines.  Ghost died off screen after a 2 second running clip with Jorah!?  Wtf!?

Don't even get me started on the whole "send an army of desert horselords out in the snow against a swathe of enemies you can't even see" battle plan

I hope that a second and third watch changes my mind but this was Michael Bay not GoT for me.  Such a shame, and a huge waste of Sapochnik.
    GredalBeeDoctor_NickSchluppdarthcaedus1138zillbillie

This should have been a fitting end to many characters and they flubbed their fucking lines.  Ghost died off screen after a 2 second running clip with Jorah!?  
    Ghost is still alive.
    rkcrawf

• This should have been a fitting end to many characters and they flubbed their fucking lines.  Ghost died off screen after a 2 second running clip with Jorah!?  
    Ghost is still alive.
    Yet another thing that makes no sense then, thanks D&D!