Barry (Spoilers)

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Very excited it’s back and tonight’s episode did not disappoint. NoHo Hank is a favorite of mine, and quite a stunning blond
    Murderbearcdrive
  • It's not too funny anymore, and I imagine it's just going to get sadder....
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 2019
    It's not too funny anymore, and I imagine it's just going to get sadder....
    Dr Nick this is a bad take (respectfully) That premiere was a riot. How even did you conclude that was sad? 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 2019
    The gags are still funny, but the overall thrust of the show is darker and darker. When there was at least a question whether Barry could get himself out of the life last season it was much easier to be lighthearted. 
    cdrive
  • I started watching The Good Place after Barry season 1. I just watched Barry season2  premiere and just noticed  both Simone and Janet actresses from The Good Place with small parts in Barry. The Simone actress is the one working with Barry in lulu lemon and makes a big deal about never playing an Australian. The Simone character is Australian and i wondered if that was an industry inside joke?  I have trouble telling Australian from British accents sometimes but I have read criticism of this actress with her Australian accent work. 

Anyways I liked the premiere  but agree with the thought that the show almost has to go more dark than comic. It’s hard for me to sympathize with Barry but I am interested to see where it’s going. 
    ChinaskiFreddyMrX
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited April 2019
    @majjam0770 Oh man, I certainly sympathize with him. It has to be one hell of a curse to be that insecure, and happen to be confident in one horrific thing. Reminds me a lot of the more "likeable" gangsters in The Wire. Being a bad guy is all they have. 

Speaking of which, am I the only one who wants to see NoHo Hank have a love interest ark? A NoHo centric episode where he is out on a romantic date only for it to be constantly interupted by crime boss duties just screams golden TV.
    Chinaskimajjam0770
  • He's a stone cold sociopath.  He's such a sociopath that he can't even mimic the most basic empathy - see his whole reaction with Gene and making what he did worth it. 

Freddy said:
    @majjam0770 Oh man, I certainly sympathize with him. It has to be one hell of a curse to be that insecure, and happen to be confident in one horrific thing. Reminds me a lot of the more "likeable" gangsters in The Wire. Being a bad guy is all they have. 

Speaking of which, am I the only one who wants to see NoHo Hank have a love interest ark? A NoHo centric episode where he is out on a romantic date only for it to be constantly interupted by crime boss duties just screams golden TV.

majjam0770
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 2019
    Seems like this got lost in the mayhem of GOT returning but excellent episode. 

The subtle humour of this show is awesome. There was one scene that had me dying. After Barry comes back to the apartment from almost getting assassinated Sally asks him if he could get his Marine buddies(Leeroy Jenkins) from a previous episode to help him with his play and he says “they don’t talk anymore” 

at first it just sounds like he is saying he doesn’t talk to them anymore but he’s clearly saying they literally don’t talk as they’re dead. Love it. 
    Dummyrustywright4
  • Another killer episode, but I am worried that we're beginning to see the Urkel effect with NoHo Hank. The scene where they're doing a silly dance on the roof was pretty bad. Hopefully they can resist the temptation to lean on "have a fan favourite character do something silly" as a substitute for actual humour.

Lots of interesting choices with the filmmaking, though. The way they stayed in the Afghanistan set even after Henry Winkler broke the illusion was uncomfortable in a good way.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I think this show is what remains of the Golden Age. I think it might be the best thing on TV.
    ChinaskiDrKen
  • Henry Winkler is so great:
    "So you thought you'd plagiarize Mel Gibson? I'm Jewish. What the fuck!"

Also, North Hollywood Henry.
    Chinaskirustywright4
  • edited April 2019
    OK, last night's episode was so fucking amazing I can't believe it. That was the best executed twist I've seen in decades. Maybe I just don't give the show enough thought because it's a comedy, but I did not in any way see either the first feint as to what Janice's partner was going to do *or* the final curveball. But in hindsight they were setting it up beautifully all season. Untangled the seemingly inescapable noose around Barry's neck in a completely shocking but believable way.

Not to mention all the amazing character stuff triggered by Sally's ex.
    DummyEMAW42majjam0770darwinfeeshyAussieGreg
  • OK, last night's episode was so fucking amazing I can't believe it. That was the best executed twist I've seen in decades. Maybe I just don't give the show enough thought because it's a comedy, but I did not in any way see either the first feint as to what Janice's partner was going to do *or* the final curveball. But in hindsight they were setting it up beautifully all season. Untangled the seemingly inescapable noose around Barry's neck in a completely shocking but believable way.

Absolutely. Even season 1 helped set that twist up; I fully expected Barry to kill him but that would not have been satisfying. 
    majjam0770
  • OK, last night's episode was so fucking amazing I can't believe it. That was the best executed twist I've seen in decades. Maybe I just don't give the show enough thought because it's a comedy, but I did not in any way see either the first feint as to what Janice's partner was going to do *or* the final curveball. But in hindsight they were setting it up beautifully all season. Untangled the seemingly inescapable noose around Barry's neck in a completely shocking but believable way.

the scribble notepad was fucking hilarious. 
    Doctor_NickMFGrustywright4
  • Last night's episode explains so much why Janice partner was doing all if this on his own 
  • mft9186 said:
    Last night's episode explains so much why Janice partner was doing all if this on his own 
    Yeah I knew a twist was coming and there was something shady about the cop’s actions leading up to this, but still was a great moment with Barry’s reaction. This was a strong episode all around. I know Barry’s girlfriend gets a lot of shade but I think it is a very real and honest performance. 
    mft9186
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, what a fantastic episode. The cop going lone-wolf was striking me as fishy. Like can you get a recording of guilt in that manner that would even be admissible in court? I don’t think so, then at the end it clicked. He’s totally going of the rails. 
  • That was amazing! My mind totally went back to the scene where Barry had been pissed off about the guys not paying attention on the shooting range, because I was so sure he was going to grab Loach's gun when he was waving it around while all distracted, and that twist completely surprised and delighted me. I was afraid they were getting sloppy with the shady lone-wolf cop thing, but it ended up making complete sense in a way I did not see coming. Man, they are really doing a great job with this show.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Wow.... First Endgame, then GoT, now this!? Hell of an entertaining weekend.
    manhattnik
  • That was amazing.
  • Man. If I’m not mistaken the guys were worrying that the show was going to lose its humor. But the show is definitely not. This was probably one of the funniest episodes of the entire series. 
    alexander.klassenkingbee67manhattnikdarwinfeeshyrustywright4
  • Huh, I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I thought the first maybe 10 minutes were genius... I laughed so hard at the reveal of the trophy room. And then the visceral "OH NO" when the daughter showed up was really something. But I absolutely hated the bizarre banshee-ninja-whatever that happened next with her. I don't know... that and the pharmacy scene seemed over the top in a way that didn't fit with the Barry universe. I don't know... maybe I'll reconsider on later watchings, but I did not like that at all.
  • No doubt the feral ninja daughter was the most ridiculous thing the show has ever done. But it did make me laugh.
    rustywright4
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Marci said:
    Huh, I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I thought the first maybe 10 minutes were genius... I laughed so hard at the reveal of the trophy room. And then the visceral "OH NO" when the daughter showed up was really something. But I absolutely hated the bizarre banshee-ninja-whatever that happened next with her. I don't know... that and the pharmacy scene seemed over the top in a way that didn't fit with the Barry universe. I don't know... maybe I'll reconsider on later watchings, but I did not like that at all.

I agree. Although I liked the pharmacy stuff okay.

The show does have a humor problem. This season is understandably more about Barry being deep in the shit. In season 1, the violence was extremely real and the humor happened around it. It looks like they're playing with making the violent parts funny now, to compensate. They made a witness "funny" to an unrealistic extent, and then had the characters comment on that. That's lesser humor. It's fine, and the show has done that before, but not with an entire character and to this extent. Usually it keeps the victims, and ergo the violence, grounded. (Props to the funniest of the jokes: she's not "of this world.") It's not a great development for me. I hope it's a blip.
    Marci
  • I laughed harder at this episode than I had in a long time. I can see where the people who had a problem with the tone are coming from, but to me the absurd parts were always the best parts of Barry.
    blue_sleevemanhattnikdarwinfeeshyrustywright4
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I laughed some at the feral girl stuff, but way too far over the top to me. I didn’t like this episode. Veep was over the top also. That was way too mean.
  • kingbee67 said:
    I laughed some at the feral girl stuff, but way too far over the top to me. I didn’t like this episode. Veep was over the top also. That was way too mean.
    I felt the same about Veep too, not to get off topic on the Barry thread. I did laugh at some things in both shows, but my visceral reaction was that I didn't like that Barry episode much at all (except the beginning) and that I'm kind of glad it's Veep's final season because I think they're running out of steam and just going over the top with too much stuff.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I thought the two funniest lines were Barry yelling from the car at the pharmacy "NEEDLE AND THREAD...FOR STITCHES....BECAUSE I'M DYING" and him telling the guy later "Hey, I'm the guy that was in your house."

Weird episode but I enjoyed it for the most part.
    manhattnik
  • This was BY FAR, the funniest episode yet!!! I was in tears!! Oh I love this show!!
    rustywright4
  • I just finished watching last night episode and I have one question : WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ?!
    Marcirustywright4