803 - “The Long Night”

Comments

• AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    I was thinking the sword goes back to Sam. That would suck if he gets his sword taken by the Hound, Dany, or anyone else rather than give it back to him.
    SanguinePenguin
  • mjmulladymjmullady Indiana
    I'm still not convinced that Jon was distracting the dragon for Arya to get through, I think he was just at the point where he didn't know what else to do and knew he was screwed and wanted to go out fighting.  Maybe I need to just watch the episode again....

Also I do love watching the reaction shots because that was also totally me that night.   Warts and all it was an entertaining episode 
    SanguinePenguinFalconrkcrawfDoctor_Nickkroll87ken hale
  • mjmulladymjmullady Indiana
    Anominal said:
    I was thinking the sword goes back to Sam. That would suck if he gets his sword taken by the Hound, Dany, or anyone else rather than give it back to him.
    Not sure how I feel about that...honestly the fact that Sam survived this was crap anyway...but to get that sword back after the way Jorah went out?  I would almost rather it be buried or burned with Jorah...
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    gguenot said:
    I am obviously not good at photoshop, as you can see. But this was the best I could do with an app on my phone ha 
    Damn, what app do you have? That’s pretty good for an app
    ProKnockout for iPhone. It's actually pretty damn handy!
    gguenot
  • People who don't think Arya could blow past distracted defenders and posterize the Night King forget that her full name is Arya "The Answer" Stark

SanguinePenguinGarrison66Kate23mylifeaskirkkroll87MurderbearDummyBroRad33Underwood
  • If I was a citizen/fighter of the Norfff! and had just survived the Night That Was Dark and Full of Terrors (TM) I would wave at Dany bye bye and say "good luck on your fight with Cersei, my queen, but I'm staying here. If Cersei wants to try to have her army of sell swords come to fight US here at Winterfell, then I'll fight them, but I'm not marching off to war to die for anyone over who sits on the Iron Throne, because frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

I know I know, then she screams dracarys and I'm roasted alive, but still fuck that noise. I'm not fighting for anyone to rule the 7 Kingdoms.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Yall know I enjoyed this episode and don't think much of most of the complaints. However, I also enjoyed them re-purposing this video for the 1,000th time on r/freefolk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bjjjjj/actual_footage_of_the_writers_after_episode_3
    telephoneofmadnessSanguinePenguinAnominalDemerol
  • Yall know I enjoyed this episode and don't think much of most of the complaints. However, I also enjoyed them re-purposing this video for the 1,000th time on r/freefolk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bjjjjj/actual_footage_of_the_writers_after_episode_3
    OMG, I'm crying.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited May 1
    REMINDER: Episode threads are episode discussion (and anything before) only. Any discussion of “next time on” In this discussion thread counts as a spoiler and will be deleted. 

@Alkaid13’s post at the top of the page outlines the discussion policy. 

EDIT: Apologies, appears I half-arsed this whole getting ready for work. Discussion ongoing. 
    Ben
    edited May 1
    The comments on that thread link to the Hitler Downfall meme.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bjg0o7/hitler_is_also_pissed_about_episode_3/

And here's a Seinfeld one

https://v.redd.it/e011mpvicnv21
    mjmullady
  • My sister sent me this article that seems to have some weight to it. (Please ignore they way it’s written.) I’ve watched the video with headphones in and it seems pretty solid to me. Thoughts??

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/a27326341/game-of-thrones-proof-jon-snow-helped-arya-kill-the-night-king/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=socialflowFBCOS&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Xx3foSde1SRUioIwPNE8Ma1ubPaNNZ2jtCmRFjQpxZLVGBOg0eDSlYCg
    edited May 1
    Dee said:
    REMINDER: Episode threads are episode discussion (and anything before) only. Any discussion of “next time on” In this discussion thread counts as a spoiler and will be deleted. 

@Alkaid13’s post at the top of the page outlines the discussion policy. 
    Not that I care that much, but this is what Alkaid13 commented in that post at the top, so that's a bit confusing:

Alkaid13 Georgia
    April 22 edited April 22 Flag
    “Next Week On” preview stuff airs at the end of the episodes so I feel like it’s fine to discuss that within the General Episode Discussions. It’s more or less speculation about what’s going to happen next. If people disagree though then we can have that conversation. Stuff like entire episode synopses are obviously Leaks and would go in a leak thread. 

• People who don't think Arya could blow past distracted defenders and posterize the Night King forget that her full name is Arya "The Answer" Stark

If this showed the whole basketball court it would be more accurate
    BenasmallcatMurderbear
  • So, the only possible conflict left for the rest of the season is Dany/Jon/Gendry vs Sansa/Brienne/Hound after Cersei is fnished next episode, right? The only way there still will be a game of thrones is if Arya is conflicted and doesn't kill the leaders of one side. 
    edited May 1
    My sister sent me this article that seems to have some weight to it. (Please ignore they way it’s written.) I’ve watched the video with headphones in and it seems pretty solid to me. Thoughts??

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/a27326341/game-of-thrones-proof-jon-snow-helped-arya-kill-the-night-king/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=socialflowFBCOS&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Xx3foSde1SRUioIwPNE8Ma1ubPaNNZ2jtCmRFjQpxZLVGBOg0eDSlYCg
    I think that's what they intend as this final released version of the episode. But I think that's not how it was shot on the day of. If you watch it, the second and third "Go!" are said after it cuts away and you can't see his mouth. And the first one it does sound like he's yelling Go, but it looks like he's just yelling. 

I tried following all of his eye lines with this idea in mind, but it never really looks like he's looking at anything or anyone he recognizes, and is just looking to get away from or looking at the dragon.

And then if course, why would he continue to just stand and yell once Arya is safe? His job would be done and he could hide again.

Counterpoint: Why would he stand at yell at all if not for a reason like distraction? 
    Answer: I don't know.

But they also didn't do a good job of really showing us where Jon was trying to go. After hearing about it, I can see now that he was trying to get past the dragon, but in the moment while watching it just seemed like he was trying to avoid danger like everyone else. Maybe try to slay it. 

After being told about it, I can definitely see getting by was his original goal, but his wild looks still look to me like he was just looking where the dragon was and not at someone in the distance.

But I think I do agree that's what they intended at least by the end, and inserted the Go Go in post. 
    rkcrawfblue_sleeve
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I need diagrams. Did the White walker's hair wisp back and to the left? Can we clock Arya's top land speed?
    They really should have substituted a velociraptor's scream for hers in the final cut.
    mjmullady
  • Freddy said:
    I need diagrams. Did the White walker's hair wisp back and to the left? Can we clock Arya's top land speed?
    They really should have substituted a velociraptor's scream for hers in the final cut.
    Dub in a "clever girl" from the Night King while you're at it.
  • So I loved this episode but I did have this weird feeling about all the survivors. I wouldn’t say disappointed. But I just realized it’s like dropping your best friend off at the airport as they are off to go to college or move away or something. You’ve spent the whole night before hanging out not wanting it to end but knowing it has to. And just as you release your hug and dry the last tears your body can manage to produce... someone comes over the intercom and says “Flight blahblahblah has been delayed 4 hours.”

Like, they’re still leaving... and you’ll still miss them a ton. But... suddenly it’s weird because you could hangout more but you’ve already kinda made your peace with parting and... just kind of wtf
    AnominalCeciliaMSanguinePenguinrustywright4budesignsken hale
  • mjmullady said:
    Anominal said:
    Not sure how I feel about that...honestly the fact that Sam survived this was crap anyway...but to get that sword back after the way Jorah went out?  I would almost rather it be buried or burned with Jorah...
    Too bad there aren't more episodes remaining. Sam could give the sword to a person every week that ends up being killed.
    OldGriswoldAll the Chickensrkcrawf
    gguenotKate23CeciliaMSanguinePenguinrkcrawf
  • I could see next episode beginning with Arya’s run to the Night King. At least I’m hoping that’s the case. 
    There and BackJTKIII said:
    I could see next episode beginning with Arya’s run to the Night King. At least I’m hoping that’s the case. 
    I would be irritated if they devoted even 30 seconds to showing what we could easily imagine happened.

Unless it's this, then I'm fine with it:

Murderbear
    The smartest person she's ever met.

mjmulladyMurderbearCeciliaMKate23BroRad33SanguinePenguincdriveUnderwoodrustywright4awookieeand 1 other.
  • Can someone answer this for me. If we are lead to believe that Arya's training by the Faceless Men made her a high level assassin which made her able to go unnoticed by anybody,, why was her teacher Jaqen H'ghar imprisoned in a  wagon cage the first time we meet him. The main figure of a secret assassin group that trains a child to out think and surprise kill the NK, but himself gets caught by red shirts and then is unable to escape a simple wagon without the help of a child. Again not saying that Arya shouldn't have been the one to kill the NK, but when you take out a main character don't cheapen his death with some obvious leaps of faith of the abilities of  the character doing the killing. Arya should have died in the process of killing the Nk, then the whole scene would have made sense. She surprised him enough to kill him, but also observed the reality that in order to get that close you would need to expose yourself to death and its consequence. The ultimate sacrifice.

Anyway, whats done is done, lets wait and see where we end up.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 2

People in Reddit threads are saying that no one ever fought a White Walker - is that true?
    MurderbearDummyCory
  • Huh? John killed one in Hardhome. 
    Doctor_Nick
    Did they mean in the episode or ever? Sam the Slayer also kills one on season 3.
    Doctor_Nick
  • edited May 2
    The question about Arya killing the Night King comes down to two things:

1. How did she sneak past he dozens of zombies and the White Walkers in the Godswood?

- Possible answer: She didn't have to sneak at all. From what I've seen on the show, the zombies don't react like humans. They simply toggle between "On"- Find something to kill (like when they're wandering the library looking for more humans to stab) and run at it and "Off" - Stand still and stare. They don't have a "guard mode" where they stand still until someone walks by, then attack. So when they form that 4-deep circle around Theon and Bran, the Night King has essentially turned them off so he could have his moment, which is why they don't keep attacking when he shows up.  White Walkers are a little better, but they, too can be ordered to just stand and observe by the Night King. They don't move when Theon comes charging or when John comes flying at them on Rhaegal (they don't even lift a spear to throw, they just eyeball him and wait for the snow storm). So when Arya launches her attack, both White Walkers and zombies have already been shut down by the Night King.

***EDIT*** - Also, if you watch the immediate aftermath of Arya stabbing the Night King, you see that the White Walkers and zombies all drop "dead" standing where they were. None of them have made any kind of move despite the fact that the Night King holds her in the air for a couple of seconds. Even the White Walkers are standing in the same place without any movement when they start exploding. And after they start exploding, they cut to a wide shot of the Godswood where you can see both the White Walker icy explosion on the left side of the screen and where Arya is in the middle. There is not that much distance between the two at all.

2. Could she cover the ground between the Walkers and the Night King that fast and make that leap?

- Possible answer: Possibly, maybe even probably. Witness the great Muggsy Bogues:

He covers about 90 feet (actually more considering he weaves around and past another player) and makes a high jump from flat ground in less than 5 seconds. "But that's on a basketball court, not snowy, uneven ground!" True.  But by watching the zombies make their initial run at Theon and the boys, the ground doesn't seem to be any kind of hinderance. No one's slipping around and they cover that ground between the Ironborn and the treeline at a full run. "But she's also wearing leather armor" Also true. But she's also probably covering less ground (I'd say closer to 50 feet than 90) and running in an unhindered, straight line (see zombies are "off" above).  "But she's not Muggsy Bogues!" But other than Muggsy, who is? No one (harhar). But given the amount of training she's done over the years together with her natural ability, who's to say she couldn't have built up that kind of strength and speed in her tiny body. Highly trained killers were probably the pro-athletes of their time.

Anyhow, just my thoughts. I'm sure I changed zero minds. But if I have, you must now refer to her as Arya "Muggsy" Stark from now on (I'll also accept Arya "The Answer" Stark, because that sounds cooler).
    CeciliaMDemerolMarcirkcrawf
    edited May 2
    @WatchyWatch

If we had five seconds, I would totally believe it.

So I watched it again and here's the break down. We have the Night King slow motion raising his arm to his sword, Arya passing by the lieutenant which marks her one end of the circle, then we cut back to him continuing to slow motion raise his hand, and then full speed as she emerges from the darkness at the other end of the circle. The full slow motion time is three seconds after we cut away from her to before she appears. If it was all full speed and not slow motion? A half second to a full second at most.

If they inserted the cut aways to people in danger in between for five seconds, it creates the illusion of time in between despite the moments likely all happening simultaneously, and it feels more right.