Death Predictions for Episode 3 (No Leaks Please)

2»

Comments

• Kate23 said:
    Jorah, Theon, Edd, Podrick, the little girl with the disfigured face. 
    Killing another little girl with a disfigured face? That's going to the well one to many times.  More likely Davos dies saving her.  Obvious, but what other character arc does he have going for him?
  • Will Theon be killed by a dead Hodor?
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Lol if our picks on who dies are based on tropey things like characters getting character arch closure, having sex, making plans, having a big character moment, etc. then you would have to think that EVERYONE besides Jon and Dany dies. And maybe Varys.
    CeciliaM
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    aki said:
    Will Theon be killed by a dead Hodor?
    It would be a bit poetic if Theon killed zombie Ramsey before meeting his own ultimate death. But I really don't want the dead of long ago to appear. Hodor maybe, because he was with the white walkers when he died. Matter of fact so was Thoros.
    aki said:
    Will Theon be killed by a dead Hodor?
    It would be a bit poetic if Theon killed zombie Ramsey before meeting his own ultimate death. But I really don't want the dead of long ago to appear. Hodor maybe, because he was with the white walkers when he died. Matter of fact so was Thoros.
    I'm with you, but Thoros was sitting with Jon's crew when he died and they burned his body right after he passed away in his sleep. I'm 99.9% certain they burned what was left of Ramsey.

The only one who wouldnt be completely ridiculous to come back would be Rickon., but that's only if one of the White Walkers gets down into the crypts where he can be near and see the bodies. And Hodor 100% should be with the Army of the Dead right now, but who knows if we get a glimpse of him in the chaos. He would standout some.

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 26
    Lol if our picks on who dies are based on tropey things like characters getting character arch closure, having sex, making plans, having a big character moment, etc. then you would have to think that EVERYONE besides Jon and Dany dies. And maybe Varys.
    ??? I don't think character arc closure is a tropey thing -- that's just storytelling. Theon has a specific redemption arc that seems to come full circle fighting for Winterfell and protecting Bran in the godswood. GRRM loves his poetic deaths.

The other examples you listed are cliches (teenagers having sex; characters making retirement plans), and I really hope that Bryan Cogman is above that kind of hack writing for Grey Worm and Missandei, because there was no need for them to have that conversation if one or both is killed because it absolutely screams, "this character is going to die." I have less faith in Benioff and Weiss. A character we haven't seen much of, like Tormund, getting a big, showy scene is often done before killing them off.

Just curious, what did you base your predictions on?
    edited April 26
    ??? I don't think character arc closure is a tropey thing -- that's just storytelling. Theon has a specific redemption arc that seems to come full circle fighting for Winterfell and protecting Bran in the godswood. GRRM loves his poetic deaths.

The other examples you listed are cliches (teenagers having sex; characters making retirement plans), and I really hope that Bryan Cogman is above that kind of hack writing for Grey Worm and Missandei, because there was no need for them to have that conversation if one or both is killed because it absolutely screams, "this character is going to die." I have less faith in Benioff and Weiss. A character we haven't seen much of, like Tormund, getting a big, showy scene is often done before killing them off.

Just curious, what did you base your predictions on?
    I think you read more into that than I intended. I loved the episode, whether you would use the term tropey or cliche regarding some of the storytelling elements that we are focusing in on.

I'm only saying that almost every character had some classic indicator that they could die in the next episode, save for a select few that we all probably figured were safe anyhow. Which is why I'm not sure it means much, unless we think almost everyone will die. 

I'm certain my picks are not accurate, most of mine are just guesses mixed in with who I think has run their course, who is expendable to the rest of the story, who would make the most sense to die based on how I think the battle will turn out, etc.

I'm sure when the writing room got together to decide who needs or can die in episode 3 battle, they took some of those factors into account.
    pavlovsbell
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Can we add the re-death of Hodor? you know hes coming back...
    Kate23
  • edited April 26
    I don't want to start a new thread for this because it's almost identical to this but a friend at work has started a live/death pool with just this next episode.  He wants 3 people we think will die and 3 people we think will live.  Here's my picks but any input from people with strong opinions would be helpful.  the criteria is they need to be a major character (his explanation was the character has to be in at least 10 episodes) and they had to have appeared in episode 2 of season 8 at some point.  This is just for fun but I'm also extremely competitive when it comes to GOT type stuff. Any input is appreciated. 

Live... Tyrion, Jon Snow, The Hound 

Die... Theon, Grey Worm, (Tormund or Jorah)

chrisk said:
    I think Bran goes. Otherwise I’m not sure what the point is if calling attention to the Tyrion conversation. Having said that, Tyrion didn’t seem affected by what they talked about. 
    I think Bran is not revealing something, but Tyrion talked to him for a long time. I was happy that Tyrion is the first person to ask Bran for his story, but also Tyrion is under pressure to regain his cleverness, and who better to to talk but the person who represents knowledge. I think either Tyrion got an idea, or Bran influenced him to do something, and that's why we heard nothing of their conversation.
    SanguinePenguinMurderbear
    I don't want to start a new thread for this because it's almost identical to this but a friend at work has started a live/death pool with just this next episode.  He wants 3 people we think will die and 3 people we think will live.  Here's my picks but any input from people with strong opinions would be helpful.  the criteria is they need to be a major character (his explanation was the character has to be in at least 10 episodes) and they had to have appeared in episode 2 of season 8 at some point.  This is just for fun but I'm also extremely competitive when it comes to GOT type stuff. Any input is appreciated. 

Live... Tyrion, Jon Snow, The Hound 

Die... Theon, Grey Worm, (Tormund or Jorah)

IMO your Die picks are all correct. 
    SanguinePenguinawookieeMurderbear
  • chrisk said:
    I think Bran goes. Otherwise I’m not sure what the point is if calling attention to the Tyrion conversation. Having said that, Tyrion didn’t seem affected by what they talked about. 
    I think Bran is not revealing something, but Tyrion talked to him for a long time. I was happy that Tyrion is the first person to ask Bran for his story, but also Tyrion is under pressure to regain his cleverness, and who better to to talk but the person who represents knowledge. I think either Tyrion got an idea, or Bran influenced him to do something, and that's why we heard nothing of their conversation.
    It completely made sense to me that Tyrion would want to talk to Bran since Tyrion's business is "knowing things" and Bran is a human Google. I would also like to see Sam Tarly join the genius crew at some point. 
    SanguinePenguinpavlovsbell
    edited April 26
    This seems like the best thread to post this is, but this is the official "Beautiful Death" poster for Episode 2

“...But At Least We Die Together” - Beautiful Death poster for 8x02
    http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/season-8-episode-2-robert-ball-beautiful-death

SanguinePenguinpavlovsbellakiMurderbear
    CeciliaM said:
    chrisk said:
    It completely made sense to me that Tyrion would want to talk to Bran since Tyrion's business is "knowing things" and Bran is a human Google. I would also like to see Sam Tarly join the genius crew at some point. 
    For sure. Tyrion also has that soft spot for cripples, bastards, and broken things, and he designed a saddle/harness for Bran. I thought it was sweet that Tyrion asked Bran if he needed assistance after everyone else left. I know Jon has been preoccupied with the AotD, but I've been frustrated by the general lack of interest in learning what Arya and Bran have gone through since everyone got separated. Bran says random bizarre things, and no one asks follow-up questions. Sansa knows that Arya trained with the Faceless Men, but I don't think she's shared that info with Jon. Arya didn't tell Jon that she has a special Valyrian steel dagger (that was in one of Sam's books). Everything that Brienne said about Jaime was news to Sansa, which surprised me. Why would Brienne not tell them that she has a sword made from Ice? I get why Jaime would not be forthcoming with the fact that has the other half, but both halves being used to fight at Winterfell seems significant. Jon apparently never told Daenerys that he knew Aemon Targaryen, a great man. I'm getting off-topic, but I'm so frustrated by the lack of sharing information.

Sam keeps bringing up those books that he stole from the Citadel (listing that as one of his heroic accomplishments was hilarious). I wonder if he's been studying them, or if everyone is simply relying on Bran, which worries me. Sam's memory speech was paraphrasing Archmaester Ebrose, "We are this world's memory, Samwell Tarly. Without us, men would be little better than dogs. Don't remember any meal but the last, can't see forward to any but the next." Would the Night King even be interested in destroying the Citadel?

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    CeciliaM said:
    chrisk said:
    For sure. Tyrion also has that soft spot for cripples, bastards, and broken things, and he designed a saddle/harness for Bran. I thought it was sweet that Tyrion asked Bran if he needed assistance after everyone else left. I know Jon has been preoccupied with the AotD, but I've been frustrated by the general lack of interest in learning what Arya and Bran have gone through since everyone got separated. Bran says random bizarre things, and no one asks follow-up questions. Sansa knows that Arya trained with the Faceless Men, but I don't think she's shared that info with Jon. Arya didn't tell Jon that she has a special Valyrian steel dagger (that was in one of Sam's books). Everything that Brienne said about Jaime was news to Sansa, which surprised me. Why would Brienne not tell them that she has a sword made from Ice? I get why Jaime would not be forthcoming with the fact that has the other half, but both halves being used to fight at Winterfell seems significant. Jon apparently never told Daenerys that he knew Aemon Targaryen, a great man. I'm getting off-topic, but I'm so frustrated by the lack of sharing information.

Sam keeps bringing up those books that he stole from the Citadel (listing that as one of his heroic accomplishments was hilarious). I wonder if he's been studying them, or if everyone is simply relying on Bran, which worries me. Sam's memory speech was paraphrasing Archmaester Ebrose, "We are this world's memory, Samwell Tarly. Without us, men would be little better than dogs. Don't remember any meal but the last, can't see forward to any but the next." Would the Night King even be interested in destroying the Citadel?

The whole plot of killing littlefinger was off screen between Arya and Sansa. So we actually don’t know what they have discussed and talked about. I would say Sansa knows much more about Arya than what we have seen on screen. 
    SanguinePenguin
  • CeciliaM said:
    chrisk said:

Yeah, I would love to see more of these conversations too. I guess there's not time and we're just supposed to assume most of the battle prep and talk about weaponry and stuff happened off-camera. But it would be a little more interesting than having big war council scenes with everyone just kind of meaningfully pouting at each other. 
  • R.R. San Jose
    Lyanna Mormont is not gonna die you monsters!!

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease
    Just like they wouldn’t kill a kid,
    oh wait Shirlene Baratheon, oh
    and Ollie!
  • They always burn their dead so the NK can't get them... are they going to have to have a big bonfire and people out on the battlefield collecting bodies and throwing them on the bonfire? 
  • Lyanna Mormont is not gonna die you monsters!!

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Sorry @Murderbear :(

But aside from her, Jorah, Theon, and Edd, we didn't loose any other character.
    Murderbear
    I still believe Jamie, Cersei, Arya, Jon and/or Dany die. The last two will definitely not get the throne even if they live. Of course I believe in a land where bad leaders don’t rule. Sadly I don’t live in that land.