NBA 2018-2019 Thread

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Hatorian said:
    Fucking hell man. Fuck the NBA. Fuck the lottery. Fuck the Bulls 7th pick. Fuck the lakers getting a 3rd pick. Shit is bullshit. I’m done
    Lakers got 4, but still. i was hands over face cringing during the commercial break when there was a chance that they could get the 1st pick with a 2% chance. 
  • cdrive said:
    cdrive said:
    Woooooowwww. KD stays in Golden State confirmed. 

Where are you seeing this?  Or is this because the Knicks didn't win the lottery?

As of now, Davis still wants out of New Orleans despite them winning the draft lottery.

The chatter was Kyrie and KD were going to the Knicks and the Knicks would draft Zion. No Zion blows up that big rumor I would think.  Seriously this is the first time you’ve heard this? Maybe I’m just a NBA gossip junkie. 

No, i heard that rumor as well.  But i wouldn't say just because the Knicks lost the lottery means that KD isn't going to NY.  The way you wrote "confirmed" made me start looking like KD made a public statement saying "I'm staying, where do i sign".  That's confirmed, :).  But, for this, I easily could still see KD and Kyrie going to NY.  Zion would have just been a bonus but there was no way that it was 100% chance that the Knicks were going to win the #1 pick.  If anything, i thought I heard that KD has a house up for sale in California and all of his business partners or something about his business headquarters got moved to NYC.  To me, that signals that KD wants to go to NY.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    cdrive said:
    cdrive said:
    Woooooowwww. KD stays in Golden State confirmed. 

Where are you seeing this?  Or is this because the Knicks didn't win the lottery?

As of now, Davis still wants out of New Orleans despite them winning the draft lottery.

The chatter was Kyrie and KD were going to the Knicks and the Knicks would draft Zion. No Zion blows up that big rumor I would think.  Seriously this is the first time you’ve heard this? Maybe I’m just a NBA gossip junkie. 

No, i heard that rumor as well.  But i wouldn't say just because the Knicks lost the lottery means that KD isn't going to NY.  The way you wrote "confirmed" made me start looking like KD made a public statement saying "I'm staying, where do i sign".  That's confirmed, :).  But, for this, I easily could still see KD and Kyrie going to NY.  Zion would have just been a bonus but there was no way that it was 100% chance that the Knicks were going to win the #1 pick.  If anything, i thought I heard that KD has a house up for sale in California and all of his business partners or something about his business headquarters got moved to NYC.  To me, that signals that KD wants to go to NY.
    my bad dude. I meant it in the meme sort of way.  My money is on KD staying.  Also because that's my best attempt at a jinx.   :#

edited May 15
    Anyone here wanna try to educate me on the Zion hype?  I just honestly think he is waaaaaaaaaaaay over hyped.  I see Larry Johnson and Sean Kemp...a brute force type of guy and I just don't seeing that as having a dominating impact in today's NBA.   I think we're going to look back in the next few years and feel like whoever took Ja at #2 got the better deal.  

Zion dunks from the free throw line with a hulk physique. That works at the college level but he's going to pick up so many charges with the speed of the NBA level.  He's 6'7 with a 6'10 wingspan. A +3 isn't that remarkable.  PJ Tucker, now that is a specimen, 6'5 with a 7' wingspan.  Kawhi's hands are another example of freakish advantage.  I see Zion and I just see a lot of being out-rebounded, being blocked a lot and getting lots of charge calls.  I'm a party pooper I guess.  

I'm just "hashtag" Team Ja Morant I guess.  Plus he defended his Queen Khaleesi well to the very end.  
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I like the new rules, some teams got "fucked" but only because they didn't get rewarded for losing as much as they thought they would. Hopefully we'll see a lot less tanking with that 14% being a lot less valuable than the 25% or whatever it was before. It's going to be really hard to sell to the fans throwing away a season with what just happened, and teams that have been stuck around the middle of the lottery suddenly have a lot more hope without intentionally bombing the season even if they can't get big time free agents.

Even with that though, Zion to the Pelicans is really disappointing with how they've wasted Davis so far. There shouldn't be an NBA team relying on whatever scraps their big brother NFL team kicks down to them, it's just pointless. New Orleans is such a fun city and should be an awesome destination and instead its just a pit of shady doctors and mediocrity. Look forward to Zion demanding a trade in two years.
  • The combo of Zion and Davis seems intriguing enough.  I thought i read that initial reports that Davis still wants out.  But we'll see if he reconsiders and gives New Orleans a chance to see how he plays with Zion.

@cdrive, no worries.  The fun on the internet, context can be lost and tone isn't also easy to pick up on.  As for Zion, can't say I can help you out.  Just listening to basketball junkies like Simmons or Zack Lowe, they seem to think Zion is can't miss, so I trust in their judgement.  I put myself on permanent college bball player evaluation ever since Tim Duncan came out of Wake Forrest.  Mainly because I was probably one of the few people out there that thought Duncan was over rated and wouldn't amount that that much once he got the pro's.  This was mainly based off of watching UMass (and Marcus Camby) handle Wake Forrest and Duncan without too much problem (from memory).  Clearly, i was 100% wrong on Duncan!  So ever since then, i won't make judgements on college players.

• cdrive said:
    Anyone here wanna try to educate me on the Zion hype?  I just honestly think he is waaaaaaaaaaaay over hyped.  I see Larry Johnson and Sean Kemp...a brute force type of guy and I just don't seeing that as having a dominating impact in today's NBA.   I think we're going to look back in the next few years and feel like whoever took Ja at #2 got the better deal.  

Zion dunks from the free throw line with a hulk physique. That works at the college level but he's going to pick up so many charges with the speed of the NBA level.  He's 6'7 with a 6'10 wingspan. A +3 isn't that remarkable.  PJ Tucker, now that is a specimen, 6'5 with a 7' wingspan.  Kawhi's hands are another example of freakish advantage.  I see Zion and I just see a lot of being out-rebounded, being blocked a lot and getting lots of charge calls.  I'm a party pooper I guess.  

I'm just "hashtag" Team Ja Morant I guess.  Plus he defended his Queen Khaleesi well to the very end.  
    I’ll take a stab at it trying to explain it.

So, first of all Larry Johnson was a 1st overall draft pick when he came out of college and Shawn Kemp is a borderline HOFer. If you think he can produce like either of those players I think you still probably take him number one. But that’s not why he should be drafted number one. 

He he should be drafted number one, because no other college player can generate as much fan interest as Zion.  Maybe it’s prisoner of the moment, but I haven’t seen interest like this in a draft pick since Lebron. Whatever team takes Zion will get an immediate bump in fan interest and revenue. Unfortunately, you can’t say that for any other player. 

All the reasons you gave for why his game won’t transfer to the NBA are the same things said about Zion coming out of high school. And he adjusted pretty well to the college game. Also, he is still just 18, it’s crazy to think looking at him, but he won’t be fully physically mature until about 25.

You might be right that Zion isn’t the best player in the draft. There are definitely arguments to be made that Ja and even RJ are better players, but that is far from a settled argument. For teams with fans on the edge of declaring “fan bankruptcy” the chance to get a player that could be great AND will immediately generate a ton of fan interest is too good to pass up. 
    i just read a hot take re: Zion and how he hasn't signed with an agent or a shoe deal so if doesn't want to go to NOLA, he can just go back to Duke. that'd be something.
  • I think Simmons tweeted something like what would happen if Zion pulled an Eli Manning and just publicly stated that he only wanted to go to the Knicks and wouldn't sign with anyone else how that would unfold.
    I think Simmons tweeted something like what would happen if Zion pulled an Eli Manning and just publicly stated that he only wanted to go to the Knicks and wouldn't sign with anyone else how that would unfold.
    Don’t have to go to egg ball for an example. Steve Francis did that.
    @jmbrock82 well that’s true. He will fill seats. Did you see the instant reaction video of the pelicans ticket sales team? Haha they went nuts.
  • WNBA interlude (sorry to go off topic but my WNBA threads never go anywhere)
    Went to a preseason game tonight- seattle vs. Phoenix. Phoenix won by 3. Went to a nearby bar afterward and eventually most of the Phx team and coaches showed up! I was in the same room with Britney Griner and Sandy Brondello! Pretty exciting. (And Essence Carson and a bunch of other cool players)

We now go back to your regularly scheduled NBA programming.
    NoelHatoriancdrive
  • cdrive said:
    I think Simmons tweeted something like what would happen if Zion pulled an Eli Manning and just publicly stated that he only wanted to go to the Knicks and wouldn't sign with anyone else how that would unfold.
    Don’t have to go to egg ball for an example. Steve Francis did that.

Funny, i don't recall that but obviously (after doing quick research), you're 100% correct.  Then again, if he ultimately ended up getting traded to Houston, I guess it makes sense that you're aware of this, :).
  • cdrive said:
    @jmbrock82 well that’s true. He will fill seats. Did you see the instant reaction video of the pelicans ticket sales team? Haha they went nuts.
    Yeah I saw. Imagine if they didn’t select Zion.  Ther would be riots in the streets. 
    @jmbrock82

I love the NBA draft for all the drama of picking this guy over that guy and who will turn out a star or a bust.

Imagine:
    Picking Greg Oden #1 over Kevin Durant
    Wiggins over Embiid
    1 of my fav's as a Rockets fan - #14 Marcus Morris over #15 Kawhi
    #1 Anthony Bennet in a draft the Greek Freak went #15
    Marc Gasol, Draymond Green both 2nd rounders
    Butler was the last pick in the 1st round
    Can you imagine picking Hasheem Thabeet #2 over Harden, Curry, and DeRozan?!
    ChinaskiCeciliaM
    oof!
    cdrive said:
    @jmbrock82

I love the NBA draft for all the drama of picking this guy over that guy and who will turn out a star or a bust.

Imagine:
    Wiggins over Embiid
    the fact that the T-Wolves drafted TWO PG's (Rubio and Flynn) over Curry :D
    cdrive
  • @cdrive
    You are right on. The only sure thing that will come out of the draft is that the Pelicans sold 2,000 season tickets overnight. 
    CeciliaM
  • cdrive said:
    @jmbrock82

Imagine:
    Wiggins over Embiid
    I can never remember all these things or keep them straight. But oftentimes nowadays aren't guys drafted out of high school or with one year of college? It seems like it would be almost impossible to know how they will perform in the NBA with such little experience. It's not that hard to be the best guy in your high school conference?
    could you imagine if Durant had gone to the Blazers? Roy,  Aldridge, Durant and a pretty decent supporting cast. i really enjoyed watching Brandon Roy play, bummer his career was cut short with those bad knees.
    Dame playing like butt again, and POR up 13. what's that say about GSW?
    CeciliaM said:
    cdrive said:
    @jmbrock82

Imagine:
    Wiggins over Embiid
    I can never remember all these things or keep them straight. But oftentimes nowadays aren't guys drafted out of high school or with one year of college? It seems like it would be almost impossible to know how they will perform in the NBA with such little experience. It's not that hard to be the best guy in your high school conference?
    It’s currently 1 and done but they’re trying to get rid of that I think. Hey Angie. I knew it was you, you dingus. Don’t ever leave us again! 
    Chinaski
    helluva 3rd quarter! GSW bench stepping up the last 3 games!
    Peeps gonna be making money tonight. Not me - I don’t do that unless I’m Vegas but the under will hit and Portland will cover. 
    edited May 17
    cdrive said:
    Peeps gonna be making money tonight. Not me - I don’t do that unless I’m Vegas but the under will hit and Portland will cover. 
    what is the spread? i've never bet on NBA. but i love me a Sunday in Vegas with a 4 team pick em during football season!
    edited May 17
    Point Spread: Trail Blazers +7.5
    Total Points: 219

Close game last I saw and sort of low scoring unless Warriors get crazy. 

Best I ever did was on a football bet. Back in the KD OKC days I lost a bet on first team to 16, when at the time OKC was known for piling on in the 1st and I knew that. Thankfully I didn’t go all in on that cause they flubbed it! 
    Chinaski
    edited May 17
    holy hell! i'm loving this Curry fam back n forth! shout out Momma Curry <3
  • MrXMrX CO
    cdrive said:

So much for the under...
    MrX said:
    cdrive said:

So much for the under...
    Lol yep. 
    wow
    L2M report will show that was an incorrect non call with 5 seconds left. Dame should have gotten 2 shots. Then Blazers immediately foul on a steal attempt.  Then Blazers would have had a chance to tie with maybe 2 seconds left. Did Blazers have a time-out left?