Who sits the Iron Throne? (Current Episode Discussion)

2»

Comments

• Michelle said:
    If Jon dies *and* Dany dies, who is next in line -or- who is then the 'rightful' heir?  Or is there an election of sorts, or would someone be named by their people?
    As others have said, legally it would be Gendry - he has now been legitimized as a trueborn son of Robert Baratheon, and even if we ignore Robert as king for determining succession, the whole reason Robert was made king was because he had the best claim to the throne beyond the mad king's kids because he had Targaryan ancestery somewhere up his family tree. Thus, Gendy would have the same ancestry,

That being said, I don't think it will be Gendry. 
    CeciliaM
  • Obviously, it's gonna be Bronn. Think about it: Chaos is a ladder, trading up castles, subverting expectations, throwing meaningful resolutions to character arcs out the window, all that shit. Jon kills Dany and dies right afterward because of stuff, things, and cliches, Bronn just happens to be there, sits down, end credits. 

On a side note, can anyone tell me if, according to the rules of succession, Cersei is considered the rightful ruler?  I mean, absent any Targareyans, of course, is she currently considered the rightful ruler following the death of Baratheon/sons/brothers or would the rules of succession have dug deeper and found a Baratheon cousin or something?
  • Jon kills Dany. Jon marries Sansa as a political marriage (icky but royal cousins often married irl).  Jon spends most of his time in the North. Sansa essentially rules with Tyrion as hand. It’s all great except when Drogon stops by looking for mama. 
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    I think Cersei only have “legitimate” power as regent on behalf of Joffrey and then Tommen. After the death of her kids, I think she basically just took control and there was nobody to press a stronger claim because Danny was in Esos and there were no other known heirs to either the Targaryen or Baratheon dynasties. She didn’t really have much of a grip on the Seven Kingdoms though with the north in open revolt again, The Reach and Dorne quick to pledge against her, and The Stormlands leaderless as near as I can tell.

I think her plan to wrest control depended on Littlefinger in The Eyrie and eventually The North, The Frey’s in the Riverlands (later Bronn), the decapitation of Dorne, impotence in Highgarden after the death of all of their heirs, Casterly Rock of course.
    ken hale
  • I remembered today the scene in the last of the starks where Bronn reminds us that he’s still a piece on the board. Maybe him and Tyrion as his hand?
    ken hale
  • Cersei was only queen because she blew up everyone who would have cared. The North doesn't really care who's on the Iron Throne and they were the only folks not represented.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Lol to Bronn. I love the dude but no way in hell does Dany honor that promise from Tyrion.
    Anominal
    I'm still holding out hope for Guy, Lord of House Ferrari. (Yes I've made this joke before but I love it so I don't care ha)
    TravisawookieeCeciliaM
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 15
    Lol to Bronn. I love the dude but no way in hell does Dany honor that promise from Tyrion.
    Yeah, I think Bronn is a non-starter. I get that they love shocking surprises, but they are still beholden to some form of narrative structure and there is just no satisfying payoff to Bronn. That said, I think it's moot whether Dany would fulfill that promise. Dany gonna be totes dead.

(edit: moved my previous edit to a new post due to timing)

Travis said:
    Yeah, I think Bronn is a non-starter. I get that they love shocking surprises, but they are still beholden to some form of narrative structure and there is just no satisfying payoff to Bronn. That said, I think it's moot whether Dany would fulfill that promise. Dany gonna be totes dead.
    Ha! Oh yeah, good point.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 15
    I really think the only people on the board (based on just the nature of storytelling and weaving it to any satisfying conclusion) are Sansa, Tyrion, Jon, Dany (though, a real longshot at this point. too dark, and I think any chance at her redemption if they were to go that way would require her to not have the throne, probably go back to Essos), Gendry (wouldn't love it, but I have to say that it is possible, eh?), and nobody if they leave it with a broken wheel and TBD for who is chosen. I really believe that the story is pointing towards Tyrion leading this new system based on the way the Double Ds have set the table. Tyrion is a beloved character, but still came in as a longshot. He's the one who most recently brought up alternative governments. He's been the one most adamant about saving the "small folk" and where he has made bad decisions they have all been in a way that promotes compassion. Also, his major blindspot is off the board now with Jaime and Cersei gone. I really think they are cutting the overgrowth to construct that trail. Does it make the most sense under the scrutiny of debate and the rules and sentiments of the world this is actually set in? Not really, but it just feels like the story they want to tell. 

Now watch, it's going to be like Davos or some shit.
  • I agree Sansa, Tyrion, Jon, Dany, and Gendry are the only options that would make some narrative sense, but of those only Dany and MAYBE Jon makes sense in-universe. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the “realm” doesn’t see these people the way we do, and if the showrunners try to put Sansa, Tyrion, Gendry, or even Jon on the throne they have got a LOT of explaining to do in terms of how this sits with the rest of Westeros. 
    CeciliaM
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    edited May 15
    ken hale said:
    I agree Sansa, Tyrion, Jon, Dany, and Gendry are the only options that would make some narrative sense, but of those only Dany and MAYBE Jon makes sense in-universe. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the “realm” doesn’t see these people the way we do, and if the showrunners try to put Sansa, Tyrion, Gendry, or even Jon on the throne they have got a LOT of explaining to do in terms of how this sits with the rest of Westeros. 
    I'm not saying this is how it will happen, or how I would like it to happen, but Bran could solve it all in one scene. He declares who is next in line with his memories.

I personally want Sansa plus Tyrion as a couple, or Sansa plus Tyrion as hand.

Jon with Sansa as Hand might happen. Jon plus whatever might happen? I don't know if I'd be satisfied with Jon as king. 

I think Dany is off the table... But she could also just be the winner of it all and burn down Winterfell in the finale.

Gendry is a dark horse. 

No more Seven Kingdoms is possible too. Just seven Kingdoms. I've never been on board with the proto-democracy theory. 
    ken hale
  • Tyrion and Sansa..
    edited May 15
    I just realized, if you consider Cersei to have a legit claim to the throne, with her dead and her having no children, then Tyrion is currently king. He can officially bend the knee to Dany as king or make his claim.

But the show probably won't go there.
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    Anominal said:
    I just realized, if you consider Cersei to have a legit claim to the throne, with her dead and her having no children, then Tyrion is currently king. He can officially bend the knee to Dany as king or make his claim.

But the show probably won't go there.
    It was only pseudo-legit given the lack of heirs with the better claim at the time. Now with 2 Dragons and a legitimized Stag on the field, the Lions no longer have a claim.
    edited May 15
    Technically. I know she got around it, but the people also didn't automatically abandon Cersei either once Dany appeared. And if they don't accept Dany, her legitimizing Gendry doesn't mean anything. She basically took the route Renly was going for to get the throne on a technical sense. Just say you have a claim and see if people listen.

But in another sense, she's still seen as the extention of Robert's rule right? 
    ken hale
  • edited May 15
    As long as it is not Sansa I am fine with it. Sansa would never have took her army to save any part of her kingdom other than the north, whatever you say about mad queen she is like Stannis, she is about that action to help people and turn back and burn the people

Dont care about it as long as Tyrion and Davos are advising the prime minister. Gendry and Arya be done with it 

• Travis said:
    I really think the only people on the board (based on just the nature of storytelling and weaving it to any satisfying conclusion) are Sansa, Tyrion, Jon, Dany (though, a real longshot at this point. too dark, and I think any chance at her redemption if they were to go that way would require her to not have the throne, probably go back to Essos), Gendry (wouldn't love it, but I have to say that it is possible, eh?), and nobody if they leave it with a broken wheel and TBD for who is chosen. I really believe that the story is pointing towards Tyrion leading this new system based on the way the Double Ds have set the table. Tyrion is a beloved character, but still came in as a longshot. He's the one who most recently brought up alternative governments. He's been the one most adamant about saving the "small folk" and where he has made bad decisions they have all been in a way that promotes compassion. Also, his major blindspot is off the board now with Jaime and Cersei gone. I really think they are cutting the overgrowth to construct that trail. Does it make the most sense under the scrutiny of debate and the rules and sentiments of the world this is actually set in? Not really, but it just feels like the story they want to tell. 

Now watch, it's going to be like Davos or some shit.
    Honestly I'd love to see Tyrion on the throne at the end of it but I think he's 100% dead next episode after letting Jaime go.  
    SanguinePenguinTravis