What music are you streaming?

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    listened to the 6 released songs off the new Vampire Weekend album. dug 4 of em. really liked 'This Life' (below), fun tune:

• Travis said:
    Here's my Pearl Jam hot take...no Pearl Jam is better than any Pearl Jam :)

I've never liked them.  I've softened on them a bit because I like their social views and some of the good things that they've done, but their music is complete blah to me.

Drive Like Jehu on the other hand - genius!

I'm pretty casual in my enjoyment of Pearl Jam, but I have a few records and I like some stuff. Vs. seems to be the album that I always land on when I get that particular itch. It just seems to sum up what I like about them in a nice package. A little bit of everything that appeals to me sound-wise.
    The early 90's were weird for me.  I don't want to sound like a hipster (because I was/am a nerd!) but a lot of the bands that got huge in the 90's I was already listening to in the late 80's or so.  It was a pretty confusing time when a bunch of the bands that I already knew broke through and became mainstream radio bands (I didn't resent their success, I thought that it was great!) but there were suddenly a bunch of sound-alike bands that as far as I could tell came out of nowhere and those were the bands that I was suspicious of. 

To me, Pearl Jam was one of those bands.  I was vaguely aware of Motherlove Bone, but I associated them with the LA Sunset Strip bands and not the 'Seattle scene'.  In my head they fit in more with Motley Crue than they did with the Seattle bands that I liked - Mudhoney, the Melvins, Skin Yard, Soundgarden etc (bands that I might - as a proud Canadian - add borrowed their sound from earlier Vancouver bands like DOA and Slow!).  Because I'd never heard of them, hadn't seem them come through Toronto playing smaller venues etc I thought that they were phonies and just wrote them off from the get go, I never really gave them a chance.

A friend of mine reminded me that we actually did see them pretty early on, they opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers (along with Smashing Pumpkins)...they left so little impression on me that I'd forgotten that I'd seen them in a smaller venue.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Yola-Walk Thru The Fire. Gods stuff Maynard!

https://youtu.be/BI3lwv8qhx0
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    With recent news, UGK and Bun B ALL DAY. Run up on Bun B, see how that goes!  Southwest 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    It's an overcast, hot coffee, Jill Scott - Who is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds, Volume 1 kind of morning. 
  • The new Mannequin Pussy single is a jam. I've basically had it on repeat most of the day.

kingbee67
    new Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride finally out. 18 tracks!

pretty good interview with Ezra Koenig that i need to finish

Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 7
    I'm following/voting in a bracket tournament that is centered around the best record of 1998. In doing my due diligence today I listened to around half of a Korn record. It was not fun and I don't recommend it. Sure, you can hear notes of Faith No More in there, but I don't get it. I guess I'm not the target demo and I'm probably not really supposed to. Either way, easy advance for Cat Power seems inevitable (currently winning ~82/18%).
    Chinaskifidoz
    Travis said:
    I'm following/voting in a bracket tournament that is centered around the best record of 1998. In doing my due diligence today I listened to around half of a Korn record. It was not fun and I don't recommend it. Sure, you can hear notes of Faith No More in there, but I don't get it. I guess I'm not the target demo and I'm probably not really supposed to. Either way, easy advance for Cat Power seems inevitable (currently winning ~82/18%).
    that Cat Power - Moon Pix record is really good and i may have to revisit today. while in 1998 i think i may give Elliot Smith - XO a spin as well.
    Travis
  • I love this tournament for that. I hadn't listened to Moon Pix in years. It's a bummer, today is the Silver Jews against Rocket From the Crypt. Totally sucks to vote against Rocket this early (and inevitably see them lose as it's about a 70/30 split). I would have voted Rocket against anything so far with the exception of Belle and Sebastian from last week. At least it's a great excuse to revisit the RFTC record, which is a fantastic listen. I love this tournament. My favorite thing about Twitter at the moment.

I just spun XO a couple of weeks ago 2 or 3 times. Literally a top 10 all timer for me. I LOVE that record.
    Chinaski
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
     My Kinks top 10

Shepherds of the Nation 10

Nothin' in the World Can Stop Me From Worryin' 'Bout That Girl 9

The Village Green Preservation Society 8

No More Looking Back 7

Victoria 6

Around The Dial 5

Waterloo Sunset 4

David Watts 3

You Really Got Me 2

Come Dancing  1
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 10
    Listened to a bunch of new to me stuff today, and had a couple of good highlights.

I started off with Transaction de Novo by Bedhead who I'd never heard before. Good stuff. They sound like their name. Kind of a gentle late 90s alt/indie rock wave type of deal. Thinking maybe if you gave The Sea and Cake 2-3 Valiums each, but a little heavier than that.

DJ Quik's Rhythm-Al-Ism was really good. Super fun album. Seems like it would be a great background party record.

Good day of tunes. I also checked out Refused and Hum and where Refused just didn't feel like my bag, I get it. Hum was pretty good, but probably not something I would go back to for more listenings.

I also checked out Cadallaca earlier this week which was pretty good. I guess it's a Corin Tucker side project from '98. Felt a little underbaked on one listen, but it also felt like a record that would really reward multiple listens. I think that one could grow on me nicely over time. I doubt anyone else would get the same evocation, but I kind of got Sleater Kinney meets first run Shins (or maybe more so Flake, and only really in the production and a touch of vibe) and maybe a tiny splash of Slint (or something like that). If anyone checks them out and you're not feeling the first song try moving on. I was really not into the first song, but it gets better.
    Chinaski
    This new Mac DeMarco is fucking amazing 
    TravisChinaski
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 10
    Oh, something really fun. We went to hang out with my niece, nephew, sister-in-law, and their family a couple of weeks ago and suddenly I hear Spiderland come on in the main room. Turns out my 13 year old nephew was the culprit. Proud Uncle Island resident: this guy. That was cool.
    Chinaski
    Travis said:
    Oh, something really fun. We went to hang out with my niece, nephew, sister-in-law, and their family a couple of weeks ago and suddenly I hear Spiderland come on in the main room. Turns out my 13 year old nephew was the culprit. Proud Uncle Island resident: this guy. That was cool.
    wow! a 13 year old listening to Slint? kid has a bright future, that's rad!
    Travis
    feel like the Chewlies Gum guy with this new Vampire Weekend. But i know @Cecily and @A_Ron_Hubbard are fans of Haim (who are on several songs) and collect vinyl (which looks rad per this Jimmy Fallon performance). f'n love this song!

Travis
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Chinaski said:
    feel like the Chewlies Gum guy with this new Vampire Weekend. But i know @Cecily and @A_Ron_Hubbard are fans of Haim (who are on several songs) and collect vinyl (which looks rad per this Jimmy Fallon performance). f'n love this song!

I love this!  Thanks for sharing!
    TravisChinaski
    i never really got into The National (something about the vocals on the stuff i heard). however, hearing good things about their new album. may need to revisit their catalog and give the new album a listen.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 16
    I get a little hit and miss with The National. I like the bulk of High Violet (a couple of skip-able tracks, but really good on the whole), and Boxer has some great stuff, and I like some other scattered tracks, but hit and miss. They were really good live. I feel like I get it and should like it, but I guess it's another Flaming Lips type blind spot for me (though I like them a lot more than I like the Flaming Lips). I always seem to find my way to checking their stuff out, but nothing has really moved me since HV. I'll definitely give the new one a go at some point though.

My buddy had a great bit/impression where he displayed Matt Berninger as the world's most obnoxious roommate where he would croon depressedly about how we are now out of milk and what not. Doesn't really translate to text, but it cracked me up.
    Chinaski
    to me, anything after At War with the Mystics is just a bunch unlistenable racket. but i'm a big fan of a handful of their records like Soft Bulletin & Yoshimi Battles... and the Fearless Freaks documentary.

Travis
    listened to the 4 tracks available from the new National album and <mouth fart sound>. the one i tolerated (Rylan) was decent i guess.
    Travis
    edited May 22
    Sissy Nobby - Runnin Booty

https://youtu.be/YpwzmKYAyvw
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 17
    cdrive said:
    That's pretty fun, man. I dig the little Shirley Ellis "The Clapping Song" nod.
    cdrive
    Travis said:
    cdrive said:
    That's pretty fun, man. I dig the little Shirley Ellis "The Clapping Song" nod.
    Oh yeah that's where that's from! Nice connect! 

My Mamma told me....if I was goody
    Travis
  • That 1998 tournament has me checking out an album by the Delgados today (Peloton). I'm only about half way through track 3, but this is fantastic! I'd heard of them, but never tried them out. I can't believe it's taken me this long. This is so good!
    Chinaski
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 20
    You know Bran is this asshole, commonly run into at any record store.

cdriveCretanBull
  • Really digging the new Tyler the Creator album, IGOR
    Traviscdrive
    threw on some Pinback - Blue Screen Life.. 18 years later, still holds up!
    Travis
  • Chinaski said:
    threw on some Pinback - Blue Screen Life.. 18 years later, still holds up!
    Nice! I'm overdo for a revisit on that. Good call.
    Chinaski