NBA 2018-2019 Thread

Comments

• cdrive said:
    CeciliaM said:
    cdrive said:
    @jmbrock82

I love the NBA draft for all the drama of picking this guy over that guy and who will turn out a star or a bust.

Imagine:
    Picking Greg Oden #1 over Kevin Durant
    Wiggins over Embiid
    1 of my fav's as a Rockets fan - #14 Marcus Morris over #15 Kawhi
    #1 Anthony Bennet in a draft the Greek Freak went #15
    Marc Gasol, Draymond Green both 2nd rounders
    Butler was the last pick in the 1st round
    Can you imagine picking Hasheem Thabeet #2 over Harden, Curry, and DeRozan?!
    I can never remember all these things or keep them straight. But oftentimes nowadays aren't guys drafted out of high school or with one year of college? It seems like it would be almost impossible to know how they will perform in the NBA with such little experience. It's not that hard to be the best guy in your high school conference?
    It’s currently 1 and done but they’re trying to get rid of that I think. Hey Angie. I knew it was you, you dingus. Don’t ever leave us again! 
    Oh, OK. :D 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    we have a game! can the Dubz close out?
    Image result for messed around and got a triple double gif
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I wanted to see a closer series. Kinda leaves me wondering how Denver would’ve done.

It’s gonna suck when the Bucks win in 5 and we’re left with five days without basketball.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    That Warriors bench looks totally different than they did during the regular season. Where did these guys come from? Looney is good now? Are these the same guys who in January couldn't hold 20 point leads to let Steph sit for a couple minutes? Kerr played every game this series like it was a back to back in the regular season and somehow it worked.

• I'm having a hard time caring about NBA this year. I just hope my boyfriend Kevin Durant does like they say and goes to another team. It's not really that fun watching the Warriors dominate everyone every year especially now that LeBron is on the wane.
    Khris Middleton is a baller. respect that dudes game.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    KING OF THA NORF!!!!!!
    CretanBull
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    damn. Kawhi is Michael Jordaning these playoffs...
    CretanBull
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I don't know how many more games like this my nerves can take!!
    I don't know if it's made the news in America or not, but Kawhi is getting crazy offers to stay in Toronto.  So far there's about 20 restaurants offering him free meals for life and most recently a real estate developer is offering him a penthouse apartment worth about $30 million for as long as he's under contract with the Raptors (he wouldn't own the penthouse, but he'd live there rent free as long as he was a Raptor).
    Hatorian
    edited May 24
    I don't know if it's made the news in America or not, but Kawhi is getting crazy offers to stay in Toronto.  So far there's about 20 restaurants offering him free meals for life and most recently a real estate developer is offering him a penthouse apartment worth about $30 million for as long as he's under contract with the Raptors (he wouldn't own the penthouse, but he'd live there rent free as long as he was a Raptor).
    nah, only news we got from the north re: the NBA is that Drake gave Nick Nurse a shoulder massage. some pretty wild stuff man!
    CretanBull
    edited May 24
    Chinaski said:
    nah, only news we got from the north re: the NBA is that Drake gave Nick Nurse a shoulder massage. some pretty wild stuff man!
    https://torontostoreys.com/2019/05/kawhi-leonard-free-penthouse-in-toronto/

Chinaski

CretanBull
    i guess it must be legal as long as they have no affiliation with the team. but im surprised we don't hear about these things more. i know we hear stories of some players being promised cushy front office jobs or even ownership. but you would think esecially in the NBA with max contracts stuff like this would happen alot more. Hell its basically a legal version of what the NCAA teams do. 
    Hatorian said:
    the last time a 1 superstar team even MADE it to the finals was Dirk's Mavs. if Kawhi can do this he will become a legend. 
    Hatorian said:
    i guess it must be legal as long as they have no affiliation with the team. but im surprised we don't hear about these things more. i know we hear stories of some players being promised cushy front office jobs or even ownership. but you would think esecially in the NBA with max contracts stuff like this would happen alot more. Hell its basically a legal version of what the NCAA teams do. 
    I don't know if you follow hockey or not, but the Toronto Maple Leafs own the Raptors (and Toronto FC and 1/2 of the Blue Jays).  A few years ago Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos was a free agent and the Leafs were desperate to sign him.  When Stamkos and his agent came to Toronto for their meeting, the Leafs brought in a slew of corporate representatives.  There's a salary cap in the NHL...the Leafs offered him the max deal but had all these endorsement deals from huge companies all lined up ready for him to sign if he signed with the Leafs.  His salary would have been something like $12 million a year, but his endorsements (that were contingent on him playing for Toronto) were worth double that.
    Hatorian said:
    Hatorian said:
    the last time a 1 superstar team even MADE it to the finals was Dirk's Mavs. if Kawhi can do this he will become a legend. 
    It will be the same if the Bucks go through....I actually think that they're more dependent on Giannis that we are on Kwahi.
    Hatorian said:
    Hatorian said:
    It will be the same if the Bucks go through....I actually think that they're more dependent on Giannis that we are on Kwahi.
    i dunno about that.. Giannis's supporting cast throughout the playoffs has been pretty solid. Middleton, Lopez, Bledsoe. and Brogdon have easily been more effective than Kawhi's cast.
    Hatorian said:
    Hatorian said:
    Good point. Although Giannis has a ton of help. None of them are superstars 
    edited May 24
    Chinaski said:
    Hatorian said:
    Hatorian said:
    i dunno about that.. Giannis's supporting cast throughout the playoffs has been pretty solid. Middleton, Lopez, Bledsoe. and Brogdon have easily been more effective than Kawhi's cast.
    I'm not convinced that those guys are better than Lowry, Siakam, Gasol and whoever you want to place 4th - Ibaka, Green, VanFleet or Powell.

I'm not minimizing the Bucks when I say this, but I think that some of their guys have looked better than they are because up until Toronto they haven't been tested.  The Celtics folded against them and Detroit aren't very good.  Raps got an easy series vs Orlando but going through Philly was tough.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited May 24
    I appreciate y’all talking about Dirk in this context. Man, I really miss him. Gonna go drunk cry.
    Chinaski said:
    Hatorian said:
    Hatorian said:
    I'm not convinced that those guys are better than Lowry, Siakam, Gasol and whoever you want to place 4th - Ibaka, Green, VanFleet or Powell.

I'm not minimizing the Bucks when I say this, but I think that some of their guys have looked better than they are because up until Toronto they haven't been tested.  The Celtics folded against them and Detroit aren't very good.  Raps got an easy series vs Orlando but going through Philly was tough.
    i see your point, but i personally think that while the guys you named look better on paper, i think that the Bucks supporting cast has done more to help Giannis, than TOR guys have done to help Kwahi in the playoffs.
  • edited May 25
    Hatorian said:
    Hatorian said:

LeBron last year.  Kevin Love on the Cavs is not a superstar and Kyrie was not on last year's team.  So, I'd say LeBron was the lone superstar on that Cavs team.
    Chinaski
    we got ourselves a game!
    INTENSITY!
  • Dummy said:
    Hatorian said:
    Yea. It’s called the Boston Celtics conference now...
    That's a weird autocorrect, you meant to type Toronto Raptors and it came out Boston Celtics!
    Maybe it defaults to teams that have been in the finals?  :D
    Lol, this post has not aged well. 
    Giannis MVP  ;)
    Chinaski said:
    Noel said:
    Noel said:
    As someone who has no team in the playoffs, I’m loving these early upsets. If only to make the first round more interesting as it’s usually a slog.
    As a Raptor's fan, I don't :(
    I still think Toronto wins in 5/6 if I had to bet on it
    i think so too. in fact, they're my pick to rep the East in the finals.
    this exchange holds up B)
    CretanBullNoel