806 - The Iron Throne

Comments

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Since the the 3 eyed Ravens having been passing down their powers to new 3ER's for an untold amount of years, can they find a new 3ER and make him/her the ruler and Bran passes down his power to them before he dies and they take the throne?

Seems like that would be a necessary step to take if Brans power was the reason that they made him the king. So they would have to find someone who is a greenseer.
    rkcrawf
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I really haven't liked the last couple of seasons and most of the individual episodes have stunk, but I thought that was a pretty good episode.  King Bran is kind of lame, but at least it wasn't Jon.
    Elisa
  • Why is Sansa the only one to declare independent Kingdom (Queendom)? Why aren't the others like:"Wait, that's an option? I guess we're out, too."
    CretanBullgjames80GiovanniElisaken haletonyp1222BroRad33ladylarsenToolowbrowdarthcaedus1138
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited May 20
    Yes. I want the Arya spin off. 

I dont know that Bran is so much a clear choice but I bought Tyrion’s pitch and he’s as good as any other choice. Tyrion seems to be actually running things and Bran’s maybe useful doing his thing?

Im a little confused about whether the new Night’s Watch is real or if Jon just noped out and decided it can go on without him. Would be funny if that was just a trick to get Grey Worm off his back. “Oh yeah, we’re sending him wayyyy North. It’s miserable. Worse than death really”. 

gjames80Giovanni
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    They said the council will pick the successor, at the same place where they were meeting.

LordBy said:
    Bran as King? Unearned entirely. WTF has Bran been doing since the holding of the door? Was he manipulating everything for his ascension? That’s dark. Was he manipulating everything for the good of the realm? He did a piss poor job then. And who is his successor? That’s always the biggest issue with a consensus ruler, how do you handle the succession? Not even mentioned in passing.

GatorGirlGiovanniSanguinePenguinJNoJo
  • Oh man. I am emotional. First off let me say my two big things about this finale were-
    I wanted Sansa to somehow become queen. And I thought Daenerys would end up being the queen because GoT doesn't really seem to do happy endings.

Jon killing Daenerys, for some reason I did not see that coming even though all you guys apparently did. When he started to kiss her, I was like, really Jon? 

I thought it was a classic GoT episode with all the ups and downs, laughs, emotions, violence, ridiculous decisions and a little bit of honor and logic. Like Edmure Tully's speech - For real, yo. You're the John Hickenlooper of this primary.  Sit down. So funny.

When Bran became king- that was the worst part for me, I was like seriously... Just because I thought it MIGHT actually happen that Sansa would become queen. But then she became queen of the North! Fantastic. And the idea of Bran being king grew on me after a while, although I thought he was a little bit useless in the meeting they had.

Tyrion rearranging the chairs- At this point I had tears in my eyes. Just that little scene of him making sure everything was lined up for that first meeting, that he survived, that they get to go back to politics and relative peace, although who knows how long that's going to last with the ragamuffin crew they have going.

Sam got to be the head maester!

When they were going through the three Starks (Jon, Arya and Sansa) I was seriously bawling my eyes out. I didn't think the show would give us a happy ending, and this is the happiest you can imagine for them, given everything they've gone through. And the last scene being Jon and the Wildlings heading north into the woods that played in the first scene of the first season with the Night's Watch guys encountering the White Walker.. really good ending IMO.
    MattyWeavesmajjam0770weeniegirlawookieegjames80rkcrawfFalconMFGUnderwoodconnormackw@gmail.comand 2 others.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I liked it. The I thought the Democracy recommendation was great. A lot of people were pushing for some sort of council or democracy. And it just gets laughed off. 
    majjam0770gjames80rkcrawfCoryladylarsenbudesigns
  • edited May 20
    Missed opportunity:  Ending should have had Ghost and Drogon ending up like Donkey and Dragon in SHREK.
    GatorGirlCapeGabeKellyAnneBMurderbeargjames80ElisaMarciladylarsenbudesigns
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I thought it was awful. And surprised not more on this thread feel the same. There are so many reasons it was disappointing. And I hope someone tallies up the minutes wasted watching someone walking or staring. 
    Giovannirockalittle85Elisatelephoneofmadness
  • chrisk said:

I dont know that Bran is so much a clear choice but I bought Tyrion’s pitch and he’s as good as any other choice. Tyrion seems to be actually running things and Bran’s maybe useful doing his thing?

Im a little confused about whether the new Night’s Watch is real or if Jon just noped out and decided it can go on without him. Would be funny if that was just a trick to get Grey Worm off his back. “Oh yeah, we’re sending him wayyyy North. It’s miserable. Worse than death really”. 

I think the Night's Watch is done. When Tyrion says he is sending him there, Jon says "is there even a Night's Watch any more" or something like that. I think it was just to keep him from being executed, which didn't make a fuckton of sense since Grey Worm left right after that, but whatever. it got us a cool last scene and Jon a poetic ending.
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited May 20
    CeciliaM said:
    Oh man. I am emotional. First off let me say my two big things about this finale were-
    I wanted Sansa to somehow become queen. And I thought Daenerys would end up being the queen because GoT doesn't really seem to do happy endings.

Jon killing Daenerys, for some reason I did not see that coming even though all you guys apparently did. When he started to kiss her, I was like, really Jon? 

I thought it was a classic GoT episode with all the ups and downs, laughs, emotions, violence, ridiculous decisions and a little bit of honor and logic. Like Edmure Tully's speech - For real, yo. You're the John Hickenlooper of this primary.  Sit down. So funny.

When Bran became king- that was the worst part for me, I was like seriously... Just because I thought it MIGHT actually happen that Sansa would become queen. But then she became queen of the North! Fantastic. And the idea of Bran being king grew on me after a while, although I thought he was a little bit useless in the meeting they had.

Tyrion rearranging the chairs- At this point I had tears in my eyes. Just that little scene of him making sure everything was lined up for that first meeting, that he survived, that they get to go back to politics and relative peace, although who knows how long that's going to last with the ragamuffin crew they have going.

Sam got to be the head maester!

When they were going through the three Starks (Jon, Arya and Sansa) I was seriously bawling my eyes out. I didn't think the show would give us a happy ending, and this is the happiest you can imagine for them, given everything they've gone through. And the last scene being Jon and the Wildlings heading north into the woods that played in the first scene of the first season with the Night's Watch guys encountering the White Walker.. really good ending IMO.
    I’m pretty sure that last scene was Jon abandoning the Night’s Watch to go live in “the real North.” Right? So, that’s 2 times in this episode that Jon forsake his honor. That’s bittersweet as hell. Damn, I felt bad for Jon this episode 
    majjam0770gjames80Cory
    edited May 20
    chrisk said:

Yeah, there is no use at all for the the Nights Watch now, other than being a penal colony. Maybe it does have a simple purpose as just sending criminals to a remote location, but I'm assuming the NW isn't still intact or at least not a serious organization.

I took the ending as Jon going to live with the Freefolk north of the wall, as it was hinted at in episode 4 when Jon was talking to Tormund.

I do like that they hinted that spring was on it's way by showing the greenery beginning to stick up from the snow north of the wall. They showed that before the the NK was created, the far north of the wall was a green, lush paradise.
    majjam0770CeciliaMgjames80JNoJo
  • So, what the fuck are we all gonna argue about now that this show is over?
    We’re gonna argue about every fuckin chicken in this place
    TheRealCrazyDavehisdudeness915CeciliaMGredalBeeOldGriswoldchriskgjames80ElisaSanguinePenguinBroRad33and 2 others.
  • The 1st war is going to be The North against the 6 Kingdoms over The 6 Kingdoms shipping their robbers, rapists and murderers to The Wall.
    gjames80Morhua
  • To everyone asking what the point of the night's watch is - we just had literally 7 seasons of everyone thinking the night's watch was pointless, and all got shown how wrong and short-sighted that was. An existential threat that came very close to destroying humanity just came from beyond the wall, and no one really knows what's up there except maybe some wildlings, and they don't talk to lords much. I'm pretty sure most people, especially those who participated in the long night, would think it was a pretty fucking good idea to still have a night's watch jusssst in case there's more shit up there. 
    MurderbearGiovannirkcrawf
    rkcrawf said:
    So, what the fuck are we all gonna argue about now that this show is over?
    We’re gonna argue about every fuckin chicken in this place
    You're a talker. Talkers make me thirsty.

TheRealCrazyDaveCeciliaMMurderbearawookieegjames80rkcrawfMarciSanguinePenguinvisi0nUnderwoodand 2 others.
  • I loved it. Dany broke my heart but she was getting all Hitler-y. That was bitter for me. 

Tyrion is going to be miserable. 

And Drogon flying away. He really loved Dany. I don’t know why that makes me so sad. 
    gjames80Falcon
    asmallcat said:
    To everyone asking what the point of the night's watch is - we just had literally 7 seasons of everyone thinking the night's watch was pointless, and all got shown how wrong and short-sighted that was. An existential threat that came very close to destroying humanity just came from beyond the wall, and no one really knows what's up there except maybe some wildlings, and they don't talk to lords much. I'm pretty sure most people, especially those who participated in the long night, would think it was a pretty fucking good idea to still have a night's watch jusssst in case there's more shit up there. 
    There's a giant hole in the wall that cannot be repaired by men. And they didnt tell a story that would convince me that anyone still thinks there is a threat north of the wall that a few hundred ex-criminals can help combat, especially from a hundred miles away from said giant hole in the wall.

The Nights Watch is useless, IMO.
    bbordElisaCory
  • CodySoloCodySolo Xenia, OH
    asmallcat said:
    To everyone asking what the point of the night's watch is - we just had literally 7 seasons of everyone thinking the night's watch was pointless, and all got shown how wrong and short-sighted that was. An existential threat that came very close to destroying humanity just came from beyond the wall, and no one really knows what's up there except maybe some wildlings, and they don't talk to lords much. I'm pretty sure most people, especially those who participated in the long night, would think it was a pretty fucking good idea to still have a night's watch jusssst in case there's more shit up there. 

For the purposes of the six kingdoms, isn't the entire North effectively their new Night's Watch?  
  • asmallcat said:
    There's a giant hole in the wall that cannot be repaired by men. And they didnt tell a story that would convince me that anyone still thinks there is a threat north of the wall that a few hundred ex-criminals can help combat, especially from a hundred miles away from said giant hole in the wall.

The Nights Watch is useless, IMO.
    Pretty sure that was to placate Grey Worm. 

There is no Night Watch. 

He wont be called it, but Jon is now the King Beyond the Wall. He’s left his dragon half down south, rejoined the embodiment of his Stark heritage and is now free. 
    Bengjames80FalconSanguinePenguin
  • Instant take for me is I am mostly satisfied. It does feel a little anticlimactic but wasn’t a bad ending. I was prepared for the possibility it would be something awful so my expectations were low to begin with. 

I was surprisingly moved by seeing  Jaime and Cersei dead together. And by Drogon mourning Dany.  And the laugh that Sam got after suggesting democracy was pretty funny. But it seems like they are getting closer to a form of democracy anyways.   

It it feels like it could have been brought home stronger but overall I am ok with it. 

gjames80
    I mean, even Jon's like "WTF, there's still a Night Watch? Why?"

All that was missing was Tyrion winking at him a few times and use air quotes while saying "Yeaahhhh, Jon *wink* the Nights Watch needs you *wink* and you have to be punished" *wink*wink*wink*
    majjam0770gjames80
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    asmallcat said:
    While the Knight’s Watch had been neglected for centuries, it existed as an independent military force, always made vulnerable to elimination by an army from the south by purposely having no fortifications against attack other than the wall itself, whose purpose was to defend the realms of men from the unknown northern menace. That was the white walkers in antiquity, and then the Wildlings more recently in the absence of activity by the white walkers. Now the wildlings are known and have been allies, and the white walkers are dead, so WTF is the Knight’s Watch’s charter?

If Jon is going north of the wall to join the wildlings with Tormund, then is he the new enemy that the Knight’s Watch is supposed to defend against?
  • edited May 20
    asmallcat said:
    Maybe but there is no one at the wall right now but Wildlings...There was no Night's Watch at all in that scene.
  • SingletonSingleton Fresno, CA
    edited May 20
    Dummy said:
    I don't think the last season was completely redeemed for me, but I'm definitely feeling a lot better about the show now that I've seen the finale. 
    I AGREE! Like the first half of this last episode was still so frustrating for me because so much of Dany and Jon’s story arc did not feel earned......but the last half was fulfilling. And also the whole thing was so beautifully shot and designed!
    gjames80
  • CapeGabe said:
    The 1st war is going to be The North against the 6 Kingdoms over The 6 Kingdoms shipping their robbers, rapists and murderers to The Wall.
    I guess The Wall still technically belongs to the kingdom if they're sending people there? So much room for "you're outta your jurisdiction!" plot lines in the sequel series.
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Gotta say that the acting MVP of this season for me is Gwendoline Christie.Three of the best scenes of the season were her being knighted, Jamie leaving, and then her having to fill out the Kingsguard book. She knocked every one of them out of the park
    CeciliaMmajjam0770Michellegjames80Giovannivik83hDeerkcrawfTheRealCrazyDaveFalconand 3 others.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Yikes, I really hope the Double D's aren't the lead writers on their Star Wars trilogy. They're amazing at writing dialogue and creating really cool scenarios, but they couldn't give less fucks about kind of narrative logic.

The episode on its own wasn't awful but they actually managed to make 8X05 worse with the attempts to rationalize what happened. Dany's victory speech, the Tyrion and Jon conversation, and the Dany Jon conversations made it so much worse. She's still talking about liberating people from tyranny when she just killed all the people who were being devastated by tyranny? Cersei was using the people as a weapon, so she just killed the people instead of Cersei?

Why the fuck would Drogon not immediately incinerate Jon instead of coming to the realization that it was the chair that caused all the drama?

How would the unsullied know that Jon stabbed her since Drogon flew away with the body?

In what universe does Grey Worm not immediately end Jon and probably Tyrion?

In what universe do the unsullied suddenly decide they're going to become a part of the Westerosi politics only to peace out immediately after?

Did no one know that the Night's Watch wasn't a thing anymore since they all died and their entire reason for being was gone?

More gremlin water on the Dothraki?

Can a person who can't do stairs be king?
    bbordGiovanniElisatonyp1222
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 20
    Yeah, once you grant that Dany turned into utopian radical genocidal Great Leader figure in 1 episode (though the breaking the wheel and Great Leader messianic tendencies had been there for some time), the ending really wasn't half bad.  Jon Snow ganking her is probably the shrewdest he's ever been (though it took Tyrion)....
    majjam0770gjames80rkcrawfMorhua
  • Gotta say that the acting MVP of this season for me is Gwendoline Christie.Three of the best scenes of the season were her being knighted, Jamie leaving, and then her having to fill out the Kingsguard book. She knocked every one of them out of the park
    yeah, especially since she didn't "have to" fill it out and she could have just said "fuck him" and went on her merry way. That was a great scene for that character and really interesting that she got to do that scene considering the compressed nature of this season.
    gjames80SanguinePenguinJanel