806 - The Iron Throne

Comments

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    LordBy said:
    It was a decent tie-up from a flawed setup.

Bran as King? Unearned entirely. WTF has Bran been doing since the holding of the door? Was he manipulating everything for his ascension? That’s dark. Was he manipulating everything for the good of the realm? He did a piss poor job then. And who is his successor? That’s always the biggest issue with a consensus ruler, how do you handle the succession? Not even mentioned in passing.
    They clearly covered that there will not be a successor like there has been in the past, the lords and ladies of their keeps will essentially elect a new ruler.  It was brought up specifically that he had no way to produce a successor and then Tyrion went into his talks about how this is breaking the wheel.
    They pretty much decided that they have until Bran dies until the next major war.
    BloodyTacoken haledarwinfeeshy
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Also, Bronn is the Master of Coin, why exactly? He's cunning as hell for sure but I don't know if he's Master of Coin level smart. Making him Master of Secrets would probably make more sense than of the Coin. I feel like making him Lord of the Reach should have been plenty.
    CeciliaMBloodyTacoElisadarwinfeeshyBroRad33R.Cory
  • i was hoping it would end with a very old sam at the citadel telling the song of ice and fire to young maesters and then resetting the giant mechanical map that helped illustrate the story. bob
    Murderbear
  • Gotta say that the acting MVP of this season for me is Gwendoline Christie.Three of the best scenes of the season were her being knighted, Jamie leaving, and then her having to fill out the Kingsguard book. She knocked every one of them out of the park
    I have to give to to Peter Dinklage for 2 scenes specifically.  When he released his brother in episode 5 and when he was held prisoner and talked with Jon in episode 6.  In my opinion Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey are the series MVP when it comes down to the acting department.
    gjames80CeciliaMrkcrawfFalconSanguinePenguinDaveyMac
    And why wouldn't Tyrion Lannister be mentioned at all in A Song of Ice and Fire? That was a good moment in Bronn eating it up him not being mentioned but he was the Hand to the Queen who burned down King's Landing and then the Hand to the King siting at the end of the written story. That was dumb.
    CeciliaMBloodyTacoElisadarwinfeeshytonyp1222
    Also, Bronn is the Master of Coin, why exactly? He's cunning as hell for sure but I don't know if he's Master of Coin level smart. Making him Master of Secrets would probably make more sense than of the Coin. I feel like making him Lord of the Reach should have been plenty.
    Well, there weren't any other named characters to give the job to. They didn't even have enough named characters left to fill out the council.
    gjames80Murderbearken haletelephoneofmadness
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    All of the people still talking about Maester and Nights Watch vows:

I am assuming that the apocalypse and most of Westeros being destroyed means that the surviving leaders can write up any laws or traditions that they want. 

Don't want to have the dumb vows regarding celibacy and marriage? No problem, we'll change the rule because who is going to care or be able to stop us? Does Bran care if Sam has sex or takes a wife? Does anyone care about the Nights Watch outside of tricking the Unsullied that Jon is getting some form of justice?

The part where Tormund half-jokingly said "I guess we're the Nights Watch now!" back in season 7 kind of put a stamp on the idea that you can throw most of the traditional laws and old vows out the window going forward when you have wildlings and regular people who take no vows manning the Nights Watch.
    Sure, that's the implication. But is it good and/or satisfying?
    It is to me. I hate dumb rules, in fiction and real life.

I dont want maesters (or catholic priests) being forced into celibacy, just like I dont want Jon being punished for something that no person still living in Westeros thinks he should be punished for. The Unsullied were gone before Jon even departed north on a ship.
    gjames80CeciliaMbudesigns
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Way too happy of an ending, but that being said, Dany dying and Bran getting the throne was about as good as it gets in terms of Brioni grade bowties.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I think Highgarden is the money machine now that the Lannisters are tapped out, so Bronn would be de facto Master of Coin anyway.  

CeciliaMrkcrawf
  • Given where everything was headed this season, I thought it was a satisfying conclusion. I wish we could have gotten an episode (or two) of Dany being Tyrant Dictator before Jon killed her, but so be it. The best ending Jon could have hoped for was going back to the north with the Freefolk and that’s exactly what happened. Same with Sansa and Arya. Bran is a bit WTF but it seems like Tyrion is basically ruling which is what I was expecting. 

I would have paid good money for Tyrion to flip to the back of the ASOIAF book and make a comment about how the Maester hasn’t finished it yet
    MurderbearCeciliaMBloodyTacodarwinfeeshyrkcrawfDaveyMac
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Gotta say that the acting MVP of this season for me is Gwendoline Christie.Three of the best scenes of the season were her being knighted, Jamie leaving, and then her having to fill out the Kingsguard book. She knocked every one of them out of the park
    I have to give to to Peter Dinklage for 2 scenes specifically.  When he released his brother in episode 5 and when he was held prisoner and talked with Jon in episode 6.  In my opinion Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey are the series MVP when it comes down to the acting department.
    Yea, as far as the entire series, Dinklage not having shit to work with the last 3 seasons gives Lena Headey the slight win. Not his fault, but the scenes just weren’t there. Plus, about 5 too many eunuch jokes. 
    gjames80Elisa
    I agree, but isn't Master of Coin famously portrayed as being a joke of a job that doesn't really do much? 

Even so, a more fitting job for Bronn would be Master of food management and crops. Not sure why Tyrion didnt name his Master of War, since that was a position they had not filled and Bronn is excellent at fighting and knows war strategy.
    MurderbearCeciliaM
    I think Highgarden is the money machine now that the Lannisters are tapped out, so Bronn would be de facto Master of Coin anyway.  

I don't know if you heard or not but the gold made it past the gates in King's Landing...
    hisdudeness915gjames80awookieegguenotthepastryarchyrkcrawfAww_PHuuCkSanguinePenguinMorhua
  • All of the people still talking about Maester and Nights Watch vows:

I am assuming that the apocalypse and most of Westeros being destroyed means that the surviving leaders can write up any laws or traditions that they want. 

Don't want to have the dumb vows regarding celibacy and marriage? No problem, we'll change the rule because who is going to care or be able to stop us? Does Bran care if Sam has sex or takes a wife? Does anyone care about the Nights Watch outside of tricking the Unsullied that Jon is getting some form of justice?

The part where Tormund half-jokingly said "I guess we're the Nights Watch now!" back in season 7 kind of put a stamp on the idea that you can throw most of the traditional laws and old vows out the window going forward when you have wildlings and regular people who take no vows manning the Nights Watch.

I dont want maesters (or catholic priests) being forced into celibacy, just like I dont want Jon being punished for something that no person still living in Westeros thinks he should be punished for. The Unsullied were gone before Jon even departed north on a ship.
    I agree with you about the dumb rules. But it's like Bran only has the power of King up until the plot says otherwise. He could pardon Jon Snow, and execute the Unsullied for the war criminals they were.

I feel like Grey Worm would have killed Jon immediately, he has no power once Dany is gone.
    gjames80Doctor_NickElisa
  • edited May 20
    Hunkulese said:
    LordBy said:
    It was a decent tie-up from a flawed setup.

Bran as King? Unearned entirely. WTF has Bran been doing since the holding of the door? Was he manipulating everything for his ascension? That’s dark. Was he manipulating everything for the good of the realm? He did a piss poor job then. And who is his successor? That’s always the biggest issue with a consensus ruler, how do you handle the succession? Not even mentioned in passing.
    They clearly covered that there will not be a successor like there has been in the past, the lords and ladies of their keeps will essentially elect a new ruler.  It was brought up specifically that he had no way to produce a successor and then Tyrion went into his talks about how this is breaking the wheel.
    They pretty much decided that they have until Bran dies until the next major war.

Sansa: “Bran has no interest in ruling and he can’t father children”

Tyrion: “Good. Sons of kings can be cruel and stupid as you well know.  His will never torment us.  That is the wheel our Queen wanted to break.  From now on rulers will not be born they will be chosen on this spot by the lords and ladies of Westeros to serve the realm.”

gjames80
    Also, is no one talking about the stud Robin Arryn?? Ha
    hisdudeness915BloodyTacob.larevElisaOldGriswoldRose
    I mean, the wonders of breast-feeding?? Sorry, had to
    Murderbeargjames80Teresa from ConcordSanguinePenguin
  • Gotta say that the acting MVP of this season for me is Gwendoline Christie.Three of the best scenes of the season were her being knighted, Jamie leaving, and then her having to fill out the Kingsguard book. She knocked every one of them out of the park
    Yea, as far as the entire series, Dinklage not having shit to work with the last 3 seasons gives Lena Headey the slight win. Not his fault, but the scenes just weren’t there. Plus, about 5 too many eunuch jokes. 
    You can't knock Dinklage's acting just because the writers decided to keep putting in dumb eunuch jokes.  Dinklage and Headey should have been given much more to work with the past couple seasons.  They were very much put on the back burner but in the scenes they were in, they were absolutely perfect in my opinion.  Personally it's a flip of a coin whether I give the "best actor/actress" award of the series to Dinklage or Headey because they both put in amazing work and deserve some recognition.  
    gjames80
    edited May 20
    All of the people still talking about Maester and Nights Watch vows:

I agree with you about the dumb rules. But it's like Bran only has the power of King up until the plot says otherwise. He could pardon Jon Snow, and execute the Unsullied for the war criminals they were.

I feel like Grey Worm would have killed Jon immediately, he has no power once Dany is gone.
    I thought the implication was that the Unsullied and Dothraki were still formidable army, and so Bran didnt want more bloodshed and thousands more northerners dying if it could be helped. I more than buy that. In fact, I assume that the Unsullied and Dothraki we saw worshipping Mad Queen Dany realistically would have been able to wipe out whatever was left of the northern army Sansa brought with her, so I had a hard time buying that the North was in that much of a position to bargain for Jon in the first place. 

And I do agree that if Jon had been caught by Greyworm, Greyworm would have had Jon executed immediately for killing Dany. That whole part was confusing. I need to watch it again, but I initially thought that both sides of that meeting thought that the other side had Jon,  indicating that none of them knew where Jon was, so I was thinking Jon had already left KL. Then they flashed to Jon in the cells, indicating that the Unsullied had him the entire time or that he had been captured after that meeting. I was confused to say the least.
    gjames80johnnytruant
  • Also, Bronn is the Master of Coin, why exactly? He's cunning as hell for sure but I don't know if he's Master of Coin level smart. Making him Master of Secrets would probably make more sense than of the Coin. I feel like making him Lord of the Reach should have been plenty.
    So he could insist on spending the coin on brothels? 

IDK but seeing that council sitting there, I was thinking .. here we go. There could be another whole series about this set of political players, in fighting, crazy shit, etc etc. 

The thing is though, did Tyrion really have to give Bronn anything? The person who was supposed to pay him for killing Tyrion is dead, and so is the guy who walks around with wagons of money. Maybe the showrunners convinced themselves with that speech in the episode where Bronn shows up and talks about how all the great houses were built by criminals or whatever.
    BloodyTaco
    I mean, the wonders of breast-feeding?? Sorry, had to
    It worked for Tormund
    CeciliaMawookieegjames80majjam0770hisdudeness915SanguinePenguinR.UnderwoodCory
  • The only true WTF moment for me is when Drogon melted down the Iron Throne. Why? how did he think of that? I don't get it.
    Elisa
    Gotta say that the acting MVP of this season for me is Gwendoline Christie.Three of the best scenes of the season were her being knighted, Jamie leaving, and then her having to fill out the Kingsguard book. She knocked every one of them out of the park
    You can't knock Dinklage's acting just because the writers decided to keep putting in dumb eunuch jokes.  Dinklage and Headey should have been given much more to work with the past couple seasons.  They were very much put on the back burner but in the scenes they were in, they were absolutely perfect in my opinion.  Personally it's a flip of a coin whether I give the "best actor/actress" award of the series to Dinklage or Headey because they both put in amazing work and deserve some recognition.  
    Yeah, the eunuch thing was just a joke on my part. But my overall point was that Headey has been given more consistently “good” scenes to shine in as opposed to Dinklage, who in the last 3 seasons has seen a general decline in good material to work with. Glad he finally got some good stuff this season though. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    The innate natural dragon sense of worldly corruption combined with the near psionic link with Daenerys that showed him her overwhelming objective....

CeciliaM said:
    The only true WTF moment for me is when Drogon melted down the Iron Throne. Why? how did he think of that? I don't get it.

hoos30
    CeciliaM said:
    The only true WTF moment for me is when Drogon melted down the Iron Throne. Why? how did he think of that? I don't get it.
    I havent seen this yet, but get ready for theories that Dany warged into Drogon for her 2nd life, as wargs are wont to do.

Dany gained some perspective in her 2nd life.
    bbord
    CeciliaM said:
    If only his mother hadn't been obsessed with the chair, she'd still be alive. Nevermind the dude right there who murdered her.

Yes, it was incredibly stupid.
    Elisablacksunrise7
    i agree. I also think Maisie Williams had an excellent season, and Sophie Turner did really well as she got older as well.
    gjames80
  • edited May 20
    CeciliaM said:
    Dragons are magical creatures and from what I understand is that in most fiction dragons are thought of as being highly intelligent.  It's extremely difficult to show and by no means did Game of Thrones show or prove this BUT if you can just go with the thought that dragons are intelligent then this is the logical explanation.  Drogon could sense that Dany's motivations were the throne and nothing but the throne and to rule over Westeros.  This is what got her killed and the logical next step in the eyes of a dragon is to destroy that symbol that essentially killed it's mother.  I know it sounds like a stretch and it probably is but from what is generalized in fiction about dragons this actually does track, at least for me.

Edit: spelling/punctuation errors.
    hoos30budesigns
  • CeciliaM said:
    Dragons are magical creatures and from what I understand is that in general dragons are thought of as being highly intelligent.  It's extremely difficult to show an d by no means did Game of Thrones show or prove this BUT if you can just go with the thought that dragons are intelligent then this is the logical explanation.  Drogon could sense that Dany's motivations were the throne and nothing but the throne and to rule over Westeros.  This is what got her killed and as a logical next step in the eyes of a dragon is to destroy that symbol that essentially killed it's mother.  I know it sounds like a stretch and it probably is but from what is generalized in fiction about dragons this actually does track, at least for me.
    Oh OK, I don't read a lot of books with dragons, so I will take your word for it. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Sansa said Bran would never have children.  I might be naive, but why not?   Yes he's now physically challenged but I'm presuming his reproductive anatomy still works?  He can't create an heir?  What'd I miss?