806 - The Iron Throne

Comments

• CeciliaM said:
    CeciliaM said:
    The only true WTF moment for me is when Drogon melted down the Iron Throne. Why? how did he think of that? I don't get it.
    Dragons are magical creatures and from what I understand is that in general dragons are thought of as being highly intelligent.  It's extremely difficult to show an d by no means did Game of Thrones show or prove this BUT if you can just go with the thought that dragons are intelligent then this is the logical explanation.  Drogon could sense that Dany's motivations were the throne and nothing but the throne and to rule over Westeros.  This is what got her killed and as a logical next step in the eyes of a dragon is to destroy that symbol that essentially killed it's mother.  I know it sounds like a stretch and it probably is but from what is generalized in fiction about dragons this actually does track, at least for me.
    Oh OK, I don't read a lot of books with dragons, so I will take your word for it. 
    I'll be honest I don't either but I've heard people argue regarding the dragons level of intelligence in this show enough that I've heard that explained quite in depth so I'm more getting my information from others regarding this.  If I'm completely wrong on this, please don't dracarys me, it was an honest mistake.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Oh yeah. What the fuck happened to Arya being a faceless man? The only time she ever used a face was to kill Walder Frey? What happened to her bag full of faces?!?!?!?
    bbordken haleScottTenormanblacksunrise7BroRad33
  • walktheskywalkthesky New York
    Besides the last two seasons feeling rushed, I really enjoyed it.  The longer I ponder the finale, the more I like it.  I wanted Jon to rule but it makes sense he does not.  
    awookieeFalconUnderwood
  • Serious questions here:

When the roof caves in to kill cercei and jaime ep5.. how can you show an almost intact room where a few spots of ceiling fell and taking a few steps to the side would have saved thier lives?

When the dothraki run into the night and get slaughtered and the unsullied take heavy losses.. how are there a massive amount in ep6?

When all is said and done, the dothraki are in westeros, they surely will not be manning thier own boats back home. Thus a formidable army whos goal is only to pillage and plunder is left without a ruler at your doorstep with no where else to go... oops?

Lastly the entire 3 eyed raven plot, from the original 3 eyed raven to bran is entirely about ruling the 6 kingdoms? Seems like a massive we ran out of time and or guidance or w.e retcon. Either by the show runners or grrm..
    GiovanniElisablacksunrise7
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    CeciliaM said:
    The only true WTF moment for me is when Drogon melted down the Iron Throne. Why? how did he think of that? I don't get it.
    Dragons are magical creatures and from what I understand is that in most fiction dragons are thought of as being highly intelligent.  It's extremely difficult to show and by no means did Game of Thrones show or prove this BUT if you can just go with the thought that dragons are intelligent then this is the logical explanation.  Drogon could sense that Dany's motivations were the throne and nothing but the throne and to rule over Westeros.  This is what got her killed and the logical next step in the eyes of a dragon is to destroy that symbol that essentially killed it's mother.  I know it sounds like a stretch and it probably is but from what is generalized in fiction about dragons this actually does track, at least for me.

Edit: spelling/punctuation errors.
    I don't care how smart dragons are supposed to be. He's still a dragon, and it made zero sense, besides plot armour, that he didn't roast Jon alive.
    ElisaGiovanniblacksunrise7gjames80
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Michelle said:
    Sansa said Bran would never have children.  I might be naive, but why not?   Yes he's now physically challenged but I'm presuming his reproductive anatomy still works?  He can't create an heir?  What'd I miss? 
    People with access to Google assume, incorrectly, that paralyzed men cant get erections. I dont blame ignorant Westerosi people for making the same assumptions.
    Michelleken hale
  • edited May 20
    Michelle said:
    Sansa said Bran would never have children.  I might be naive, but why not?   Yes he's now physically challenged but I'm presuming his reproductive anatomy still works?  He can't create an heir?  What'd I miss? 
    Isn't he a quadriplegic? 
    Edit- i guess he's a paraplegic. but if you are paralyzed from the waist down, your ding dong doesn't work.
    BrandonTheBard
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    The 3 Eyed Raven and Night King tie up turned into mostly nothing IMO.

Serious questions here:

Lastly the entire 3 eyed raven plot, from the original 3 eyed raven to bran is entirely about ruling the 6 kingdoms? Seems like a massive we ran out of time and or guidance or w.e retcon. Either by the show runners or grrm..

• MichelleMichelle California
    CeciliaM said:
    Michelle said:
    Isn't he a quadriplegic? 
    i didn't think so.  I think he just can't walk but I could be wrong.
  • Michelle said:
    People with access to Google assume, incorrectly, that paralyzed men cant get erections. I dont blame ignorant Westerosi people for making the same assumptions.
    OK, but it is true that sometimes paraplegic people can't get erections. Right?
  • CeciliaM said:
    Michelle said:
    Isn't he a quadriplegic? 
    No he can use his upper body. He was able to control a horse with reins. He could possibly father a child. Though being a woman during the conception of said child might be an awkward experience due to Brans unique personality. 
    CeciliaMMichelleawookieeDaveyMacbudesigns
  • All right, well I guess we'll just have to put this in the "it must have been discussed offscreen" category lol
    darwinfeeshy
  • visi0n said:
    The show title should have been: WTF, Bran?
    I guess the new throne will have wheels so that'll be sweet.
    Perhaps his chair is now the iron throne? 
    CeciliaM
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Answers for some of the complaints.

drogon. He was pissed and lashed out and actually didn’t even burn the throne first. He actually just took out a side of the building and then starting burning the throne. He actually blew out enough wall so that he could fit through it and fly off. Maybe the throne was just in the way. Plus the had to find a cool way to destroy the throne. And that was pretty cool. 

Jon. I assume he went to Davos and the northmen first and then surrendered in front of his army. Grey worm then couldn’t kill or execute him without starting a war right away. And then what he’s going to do after killing Jon? Hole up in a broken castle until the other families come and take him out for murder? It was his only move to keep himself and the unsullied alive. 

JNoJo
  • Hunkulese said:
    Oh yeah. What the fuck happened to Arya being a faceless man? The only time she ever used a face was to kill Walder Frey? What happened to her bag full of faces?!?!?!?
    She did have that scene where she scared Sansa with them in season 7... 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 20
    CeciliaM said:
    Michelle said:
    OK, but it is true that sometimes paraplegic people can't get erections. Right?
    Depends on the a specific part of their spine that was damaged. Many can at least have reflexive erections.

I dont know, but they have been saying this about Bran since his injury when he was a child, yet I doubt anyone ever tested it or asked Bran. It seems to just be the assumption of "no feeling from the waist down = no erection no sex or reproduction"
    That's a perfectly reasonable assumption for these folks, even if it's probably not true based on what we know about the human body in the real world.

I'm good with never talking about Brans theoretical erections ever again.
    MichelledarwinfeeshyCeciliaMSanguinePenguingjames80
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I'm takin' that throne brah!
  • About the Nights Watch. I don't think Jon abandons his post at the end of the episode. There are a few hints: 
    • He's wearing all black
    • He says to Arya she can visit him at Castle Black whenever she wants
    • Someone closes the gate behind them, meaning someone is still manning the wall
    • Tryion mentions visiting him at the wall
    • He would be the 1000th Lord Commander if he gets elected again
    To me those are all signs that he takes his assignment. Although I think his role will be redefined as a protector of the wildings. 

Also remember those north of the wall do not kneel, so they are the only ones in the seven kingdoms who are truly free.

Murderbear
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm good with never talking about Brans theoretical erections ever again.
    Deal.  It was more about there no longer being any Stark heirs possible (well, that would take the last name anyway), which is kind of a big thing.
  • edited May 20
    Overall I think the show went out with a whimper. Here are the most egregious things for me:

• Jon being held captive rather than killed for Dany's murder
    • Tyrion same as above
    • The Unsullied and Dothraki having no input into what the new world looks like
    • Sansa refusing the North following Bran, the SON OF NED STARK!!! I just can't even begin... they won’t bow to any king even their own?! 
    • Why after Sansa's display none of the other rulers refuse Bran as king
    • The lack of emotional impact in any of the scenes, Brienne getting knighted in s8e2 was probably the best scene of the entire season for me... that’s a shame.
    • Jon never explaining to Danny why he couldn't fathom being in the same room with her. Maybe if he didn’t turn her down she wouldn’t have gone super villain
    • Ignoring any type of logistics or logical conclusions, like the Unsullied holding the city but not executing the guy who killed their queen, when in the same episode they execute people who fought against her

My favorite book series since about 1999, and here we are 20 years later with a bunch of disappointment. I loved the show up until about season 4, but most of it after that is meh. Underwhelming ending for me. 
    ElisaScottTenormanblacksunrise7JTKIIIdarthcaedus1138
  • Serious questions here:

When the roof caves in to kill cercei and jaime ep5.. how can you show an almost intact room where a few spots of ceiling fell and taking a few steps to the side would have saved thier lives?

When the dothraki run into the night and get slaughtered and the unsullied take heavy losses.. how are there a massive amount in ep6?

When all is said and done, the dothraki are in westeros, they surely will not be manning thier own boats back home. Thus a formidable army whos goal is only to pillage and plunder is left without a ruler at your doorstep with no where else to go... oops?

Imo, I don't think the show provided a good answer to any of these things. All of which are valid questions. 
    blacksunrise7
  • CapeGabe said:
    I was whelmed

Game of Meh
    Couldn’t have said it better. There were, however, two standout moments that produced hearty guffaws in my household: when Tyrion looked around and said “Uhhh...BRAN,” and when Jon Snow was told he’d be sent to the Night’s Watch. Womp womp. 
  • Great children's fantasy ending.. Are we to believe that the people of Westeros would have no issue with a King that can see all their memories. They just witnessed people get wiped out by a ruler with a Dragon, but sure lets endorse a guy who can see everything about us, warts and all. Not akin to allowing the government of today to access all your emails and private messages. What happens when Bran comes across someones memory were they say fuck this King, I'm going to start a rebellion. Does he order their imprisonment or death before their actions. Would that be just? But no, lets without thought say he'll make a great ruler. Why wasn't Jon even put forward as a choice. Vary's and Sansa seemed to think it was the best outcome for the realm earlier, and they sure made a big point that his legitimate right to the throne was one of the triggers for the Mad Queen.  But No, he can't have him as King because he killed the mad tyrant queen and Greyworm needs justice. Didn't know a solider who just endorsed and participated in the slaughter of innocent children and people had a platform to preach about justice. Am I to believe that the armies of the seven kingdoms would not be a match for the left over Unsullied and Dothraki. The armies of the kingdom just fought the undead and the true Mad Queen (Cersi), but lets not have any more bloodshed for our King of the North, a Stark

In the end I didn't care who sat on the throne as it didn't matter anymore. According to the show all humanities threats are gone and everybody can live peacefully with each other, until a spin off show requires them to show everything has gone to shit. 
    blacksunrise7
  • edited May 20
    Since the the 3 eyed Ravens having been passing down their powers to new 3ER's for an untold amount of years, can they find a new 3ER and make him/her the ruler and Bran passes down his power to them before he dies and they take the throne?

Seems like that would be a necessary step to take if Brans power was the reason that they made him the king. So they would have to find someone who is a greenseer.
    Except the raven was supposed to be all uninvolved in politics, secluded from the world in a magic cave to protect him. Now Bran’s rolling around KL getting cocky, showing weird emotions again, just ripe for someone to kill in hopes of taking the throne and then, whoops, all human history is erased or whateverthefuck the Night King was trying to do. 
    budesigns
  • Funny thing is that Dexter was trending on Twitter tonight, in case people were wondering what this finals is being compared to.
    ken haleSchlupp
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I thought the finale was good. Am I a poor judge of quality?
    I thought it was good too. Maybe we are just both trash? 
    Aww_PHuuCkFalconCory
  • edited May 20
    What was up with Jon being held prisoner for Dany's murder, anyway?

I feel like I missed a scene or something. There was no one besides Jon & Dany in the throne room. Drogon took Dany's body away. Did Drogon drop off Dany's body in front of Grey Worm before taking it with him to Essos?

Did Jon confess? If he did, wouldn't Grey Worm murder him on the spot?

As far as I can tell, Grey Wrom considers Dany to be M.I.A.

• tonyp1222tonyp1222 new york
    Did I miss it or.... in the big meeting of the 7 kingdoms, did nobody - not EVEN FUCKING SAM - mention Jon's claim to the throne? Seems like a pretty big goddamn topic. I don't care how mad Grey Worm was about him killing Dany, but Dany didn't even have the fucking claim over Jon at that point anymore. So why is he just skipped over? Because he murdered someone? Dany murdered a city. WTF did I just watch?
    blacksunrise7ken haleBloodyTacogjames80
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 20
    I assume Jon confessed, and Grey Worm only executes their enemies if his Queen commands it, so there must have been a short circuit and he took Jon prisoner instead of executing him....

What was up with Jon being held prisoner for Dany's murder, anyway?

I feel like I missed a scene or something. There was no one besides Jon & Dany in the throne room. Drogon took Dany's body away. Did Drogon drop off Dany's body in front of Grey Worm before taking it with him to Essos?

Did Jon confess? If he did, wouldn't Grey Worm murder him on the spot?

As far as I can tell, Grey Wrom considers Dany to be M.I.A.

• Dee said:
    I thought the finale was good. Am I a poor judge of quality?
    I thought it was good too. Maybe we are just both trash? 
    Pile me on the heap. 
    JNoJogjames80