806 - The Iron Throne

Comments

• CeciliaM said:
    Michelle said:
    Sansa said Bran would never have children.  I might be naive, but why not?   Yes he's now physically challenged but I'm presuming his reproductive anatomy still works?  He can't create an heir?  What'd I miss? 
    People with access to Google assume, incorrectly, that paralyzed men cant get erections. I dont blame ignorant Westerosi people for making the same assumptions.
    OK, but it is true that sometimes paraplegic people can't get erections. Right?
    Depends on the a specific part of their spine that was damaged. Many can at least have reflexive erections.

I dont know, but they have been saying this about Bran since his injury when he was a child, yet I doubt anyone ever tested it or asked Bran. It seems to just be the assumption of "no feeling from the waist down = no erection no sex or reproduction"
    That's a perfectly reasonable assumption for these folks, even if it's probably not true based on what we know about the human body in the real world.

I'm good with never talking about Brans theoretical erections ever again.
    Yes, I googled and read some indepth articles on the topic after we last spoke. I'm good; lol
  • tonyp1222tonyp1222 new york
    Giovanni said:
    Overall I think the show went out with a whimper. Here are the most egregious things for me:

• Jon being held captive rather than killed for Dany's murder
    • Tyrion same as above
    • The Unsullied and Dothraki having no input into what the new world looks like
    • Sansa refusing the North following Bran, the SON OF NED STARK!!! I just can't even begin... they won’t bow to any king even their own?! 
    • Why after Sansa's display none of the other rulers refuse Bran as king
    • The lack of emotional impact in any of the scenes, Brienne getting knighted in s8e2 was probably the best scene of the entire season for me... that’s a shame.
    • Jon never explaining to Danny why he couldn't fathom being in the same room with her. Maybe if he didn’t turn her down she wouldn’t have gone super villain
    • Ignoring any type of logistics or logical conclusions, like the Unsullied holding the city but not executing the guy who killed their queen, when in the same episode they execute people who fought against her

My favorite book series since about 1999, and here we are 20 years later with a bunch of disappointment. I loved the show up until about season 4, but most of it after that is meh. Underwhelming ending for me. 
    All of this.
    blacksunrise7bbord
  • edited May 20
    After Jon & the Wildlings passed through the Wall, there was this quick shot of a sprout amidst the snowy desolation.

Is this...... A Dream of Spring?
    MurderbearSanguinePenguinCeciliaMhoos30JNoJo
  • I think Highgarden is the money machine now that the Lannisters are tapped out, so Bronn would be de facto Master of Coin anyway.  

Also, Bronn is the Master of Coin, why exactly? He's cunning as hell for sure but I don't know if he's Master of Coin level smart. Making him Master of Secrets would probably make more sense than of the Coin. I feel like making him Lord of the Reach should have been plenty.

I don't know if you heard or not but the gold made it past the gates in King's Landing...
    Dude, that shits melted 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited May 20
    So, what the fuck are we all gonna argue about now that this show is over?
    Politics, probably. (ducks)
    Or sandwiches, and maybe baseball?
  • GRRMs ending will be quite different is my guess.
  • I think Highgarden is the money machine now that the Lannisters are tapped out, so Bronn would be de facto Master of Coin anyway.  

Also, Bronn is the Master of Coin, why exactly? He's cunning as hell for sure but I don't know if he's Master of Coin level smart. Making him Master of Secrets would probably make more sense than of the Coin. I feel like making him Lord of the Reach should have been plenty.

I don't know if you heard or not but the gold made it past the gates in King's Landing...
    So Dany melted all the gold???? Oy 
    Murderbear
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    Wow people hated it. I guess that’s to be expected. It’s hard watching something end when you have theories and expectations left unanswered. I will say this. If that was the ending George had in mind....I think it won’t be by the end of the day...well played old man, well played.
    Falcongjames80
  • edited May 20
    Love the final thought it was perfect 
    FreddyJNoJo
  • edited May 20
    Any thoughts that from the moment Bran told John it’s your choice about telling Sansa about his lineage that all of this was set up to happen. Maybe he saw Danny going mad later on whilst conquering Westeros and decided to stop her earlier 
  • tom_g said:
    GRRMs ending will be quite different is my guess.
    LOL if you think your getting books, but from what I have read, this is the ending your getting in the books, just going to happen diff. Jon will kill Dany, Sana queen of the north, Arya surviving, and Brian as king. Again it's going to happen differently, I'm sure these were all the points Grrm told them
    Rosehoos30
  • mwspiak said:
    Wow people hated it. I guess that’s to be expected. It’s hard watching something end when you have theories and expectations left unanswered. I will say this. If that was the ending George had in mind....I think it won’t be by the end of the day...well played old man, well played.
    It just makes total sense, but when all people do is sit around and make up theories they all get disappointed. 
    awookieeCeciliaMgjames80
  • edited May 20
    CeciliaM said:
    The only true WTF moment for me is when Drogon melted down the Iron Throne. Why? how did he think of that? I don't 
  • Last night I felt like I was ok with it. And overnight I've become less ok but I think it's just because it's over?  I can't pinpoint exactly what I didn't like and I just feel kind of empty now. :(
    majjam0770ken haletelephoneofmadness
  • edited May 20
    Dee said:
    I thought the finale was good. Am I a poor judge of quality?
    I thought it was good too. Maybe we are just both trash? 
    Edit: Just saw @CeciliaM is joining us as well. Well that 4 of us then.  Hey at least we can be trash together ;)
    DeeCeciliaM
  • Drogon landing next to Dany's body and freaking out was so intense and amazing.  That whole 5 minute scene was one of the more intense scenes in the whole series and couldn't have been better.  

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Dee said:
    Edit: Just saw @CeciliaM is joining us as well. Well that 4 of us then.  Hey at least we can be trash together ;)
    Room for one more?
    DeeCeciliaM
  • It was bittersweet because while everyone is having fun sailing ships and petting Ghost, Ellaria Sand is STILL locked in the dungeon.
    awookieeken haleCeciliaMbudesigns
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Overall, I liked the episode. That doesn’t mean it’s without it’s problems. My biggest complaint of the episode is the time jump between Jon killing Dany and the council scene. I would’ve like to see how that all went down. My biggest complaint of the season is that this whole season felt rushed but then in the finale they really let every scene breathe. I wish they would’ve taken the time for that the whole season. And my biggest complaint of the series is the show catching up to the books. Worst thing that ever happened to this show. 
    MarcichriskDoctor_NickUnderwoodDaveyMacblacksunrise7gjames80
  • Dee said:
    Room for one more?
    The landfill we are making up is quickly becoming an environmental hazard. 
    DeeMurderbearCeciliaMDaveyMac
  • Dee said:
    Room for one more?
    One question before we let you join, are you a bear that murders? Or a murderer of bears?
    DeeAww_PHuuCkMurderbearCeciliaM
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    This show is depressing as fuck (and also terribly crafted) and I'm glad it's over. The women I knew who peaced out after the Ramsay/Sansa rape had pitch-perfect intuition and I applaud them now. I wish I had.
    ken haleBroRad33BloodyTaco
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    Edmure was the finale MVP 
    SanguinePenguinGiovannicdriveDoctor_NickCeciliaMgjames80
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    As a fan that watched Dexter from the start of that series I was having some PTSD going into this but I think they redeemed it even if Jon copies the ending. 

This wasn’t a bed shitting moment and that makes me really happy. We were heading into Dexter, S.o.A and HIMYM territory (on a grand scale) but ultimately I think they steadied the ship.

I think the series ended up similar to The Wire and The Shield below average last seasons with a finale that closed the books. This finale wasn’t on that level but in the same ball park.
    Aww_PHuuCkDeeken halegjames80
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Ha, ironically the instant cast this week is so nice I can't listen to it.
    ken haleTeresa from ConcordjohnnytruantBloodyTacobbord
  • R.R. San Jose

It was a decent tie-up from a flawed setup.

LordBy said:

Jon joining the Knight’s Watch? WTF is the Knight’s Watch now? Nothing to defend against but still vulnerable from the south? No reason for this to exist and I don’t get why Jon going north of the wall is a good thing or any kind of conclusion.

I compare Jon being given a “life sentence” in the Nightswatch (keeping him out of the chair where he didn’t want to be) for the betterment of the realm, the same as Admiral James T. Kirk getting demoted down to rank of Captain (keeping him in the chair where he wanted to be) for his sabotage and other crimes perpetrated to save Spock and ultimately save the Federation.
    San José 
    Rob
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Current count- 2 water bottles, 1 coffee cup
    telephoneofmadness
  • After the Iron Throne melted down I saw graphite all over the red keep.
    PeepsDoctor_Nickgjames80
  • R.R. San Jose
    asmallcat said:
    To everyone asking what the point of the night's watch is - we just had literally 7 seasons of everyone thinking the night's watch was pointless, and all got shown how wrong and short-sighted that was. An existential threat that came very close to destroying humanity just came from beyond the wall, and no one really knows what's up there except maybe some wildlings, and they don't talk to lords much. I'm pretty sure most people, especially those who participated in the long night, would think it was a pretty fucking good idea to still have a night's watch jusssst in case there's more shit up there. 
    I see your point but it will be a traveling watch if it warms up and the entire wall melts away!
    CeciliaM
  • Disappointed that Arya didn't use any faces during Season 8
    telephoneofmadnessBroRad33bbord