Dany made a choice.

She did not snap as many have said including the DDs.  The bells did not trigger her, it was simply the point when we all realized her premeditation.  Why then did she make this decision to kill the innocents?  Since there is no love to help her rule, she must use fear. Kings landing isn’t the only place she must conquer. There is the rest of Westeros she must deal with. Especially after Varys sent all his letters which she probably knows about. Murdering here may save lives later.  Similar to the US in WW2 after beating the Nazis, the US then dropped the Atomic bomb on Japan. Japan still didn’t surrender and the US did it again.  Killing 300000 civilians. Through the “excessive” use and fear of the super weapon, an estimated 1 million us soldiers and 3 million Japanese were saved from a US military invasion of the country.  Emotion played a part for sure but this was a strategic decision which she believes is merciful in the long run. 

Comments

• Except that the people of King's Landing did surrender and she dropped the bomb anyway.

She definitely made a choice but it wasn't a great one.
  • Agreed with OP. No idea why the D’s contradicted themselves. She seemed like she talked herself into a messiah complex. 

Sic sempre Tyrions. 
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    They literally wrote it. She also forgot about the Iron Fleet. Why are people using head-canon when the  writers and showrunners have been clear on this?
    DummyBloodyTaco
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 20
    Death of the author. There have been multiple lines of dialogue from Dany and Grey Worm that heavily imply atrocities were planned. 

They literally wrote it. She also forgot about the Iron Fleet. Why are people using head-canon when the  writers and showrunners have been clear on this?

• chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I genuinely wonder how often, if you asked the author of a book about what they wrote, would they be clear about what they wrote and why and would their rationalizations make sense.

I think D&D have forgotten more about plot points they ran through than we'll ever know, and there's probably genuine uncertainty on their part sometimes on why they settled where they did. That is NOT an excuse for missed beats, just saying they're very close to the work and it's easy to miss the big picture. Which is why I think they may have needed more people involved to help speak for the viewer. 

I wonder to what extent Bryan Cogman was involved. He wrote the second episode and I know he's typically been the lore/source material expert. I wonder what if any say he had and what he thought of the result. 
    ken haleawookiee