806 - The Iron Throne

Comments

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    ken hale said:
    ken hale said:
    So, uhh, what was with that horse last week?

Pale horse of death? Nah
    Arya’s dead? Nah
    Bran warged it? Nah
    Just an inexplicably clean-ass horse hanging out in an apocalypse, never to be seen again? Nailed it.
    Clean? You sure about that?

Wow. That’s a great point. Invalidates my question. Horse’s presence = well-explained, logical, and good use of screen time. 
    I wasnt going to quibble with the rest of your post since that was just an opinion, so I only addressed the one thing that was objectively wrong.

That said, I assume the horse was just something that the writers thought was cool and artistic way to end the episode. I don't know that a 30 second scene at the end of the episode demands a payoff, but it's fine to agree to disagree on that.
    rkcrawf

MurderbearcdriveCeciliaMgguenot
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    ken hale said:
    ken hale said:

Pale horse of death? Nah
    Arya’s dead? Nah
    Bran warged it? Nah
    Just an inexplicably clean-ass horse hanging out in an apocalypse, never to be seen again? Nailed it.

Wow. That’s a great point. Invalidates my question. Horse’s presence = well-explained, logical, and good use of screen time. 
    I wasnt going to quibble with the rest of your post since that was just an opinion, so I only addressed the one thing that was objectively wrong.

That said, I assume the horse was just something that the writers thought was cool and artistic way to end the episode. I don't know that a 30 second scene at the end of the episode demands a payoff, but it's fine to agree to disagree on that.
    It was a palette cleanser after watching all the death and destruction. A nice little breather after a tense episode.
    chriskJNoJo
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    ken hale said:
    I think stuff like that is a good use of screen time, and I wish people allowed for more stuff that didn't always have an expressed reason for being. 

I don't understand the "use of screen time" argument this season. Isn't the issue that there wasn't more screen time? Or is there really a problem spending time on stuff like this? Screen time isn't a finite resource. They could have cut that Arya scene almost completely and had a shorter episode. They could have added the stuff people want on top of it and had a longer episode. Or had more of them. 
  • asmallcat said:
    ken hale said:
    ken hale said:

Pale horse of death? Nah
    Arya’s dead? Nah
    Bran warged it? Nah

Awww, don't be salty. We all need to learn to laugh at ourselves. 
    True but, honestly, I’m really struggling with this whole precept of civility as it is meant to exist on these forums. Self-deprecation is my forte but I’m never really inclined to laugh at what I take to be mean-spirited, snarky pettiness. 
    BloodyTacoGiovanni
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    After Jon & the Wildlings passed through the Wall, there was this quick shot of a sprout amidst the snowy desolation.

Is this...... A Dream of Spring?
    Yeah, I think Daenaryes was just having a nightmare while waiting for the Night King to arrive.
  • chrisk said:
    ken hale said:
    I think stuff like that is a good use of screen time, and I wish people allowed for more stuff that didn't always have an expressed reason for being. 

I don't understand the "use of screen time" argument this season. Isn't the issue that there wasn't more screen time? Or is there really a problem spending time on stuff like this? Screen time isn't a finite resource. They could have cut that Arya scene almost completely and had a shorter episode. They could have added the stuff people want on top of it and had a longer episode. Or had more of them. 
    My position is that they’ve squandered quite a lot of the limited screen time that they’ve had this season. The meaningless horse is just a specific example, but there’s been quite a few scenes where we’re silently cutting between faces or montaging scenes in a way that isn’t necessary to underscore what’s meant to be conveyed in the scene. It’s a matter of perception. 
    BloodyTacoGiovanniblacksunrise7
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    gguenot said:
    I think Highgarden is the money machine now that the Lannisters are tapped out, so Bronn would be de facto Master of Coin anyway.  

Also, Bronn is the Master of Coin, why exactly? He's cunning as hell for sure but I don't know if he's Master of Coin level smart. Making him Master of Secrets would probably make more sense than of the Coin. I feel like making him Lord of the Reach should have been plenty.

I don't know if you heard or not but the gold made it past the gates in King's Landing...
    Dude, that shits melted 
    Pretty sure it make it to Bravos, and eventually to the Golden Company... did they bring it back to Kings Landing?
  • I had a spinoff idea, guys. A podcast where Sam and  Bran sit around the mics and talk about the history of Westeros. 90+ minutes each episode. 
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    You either die as the breaker or live long enough to see yourself become the wheel.
    ken hale said:
    asmallcat said:
    ken hale said:
    ken hale said:

Pale horse of death? Nah
    Arya’s dead? Nah
    Bran warged it? Nah

Awww, don't be salty. We all need to learn to laugh at ourselves. 
    True but, honestly, I’m really struggling with this whole precept of civility as it is meant to exist on these forums. Self-deprecation is my forte but I’m never really inclined to laugh at what I take to be mean-spirited, snarky pettiness. 
    I thought you would appreciate me making fun of D&D while I gave you a hard time. No hard feelings. 

Last one I swear

CeciliaMrkcrawfhisdudeness915Graffin_DirtybloodUnderwood
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    “Conleth Hill, who played the much-missed-this-week Lord Varys, said in a post-show interview that one of the things he regretted not having a chance to do was play a scene where his character reacts to the news of Littlefinger’s execution by the Stark children.

It got us thinking about how much Varys and Littlefinger’s machinations drove the story in the early seasons of the show and how much their influence had sadly diminished by the end of their time in the story. We don’t think it’s a coincidence that the first meeting of the Small council was marked with light comedy and a distinct sense that things had returned to “normal.” In other words, no wheels were broken. The wheel, damaged and scorched a little, remains firmly in place.”

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2019/05/game-of-thrones-ends-with-the-wheel-firmly-in-place/

hat tip @JaimieT
    JaimieTDaveyMac
  • I thought you would appreciate me making fun of D&D while I gave you a hard time. No hard feelings. 

Last one I swear

Fair enough :) It's definitely one of those days when I'm more inclined to vitriol than laughter, lol.  I'll try to get myself in a better headcanon...I mean, headspace.
    awookiee
  • edited May 20
    ken hale said:

Pale horse of death? Nah
    Arya’s dead? Nah
    Bran warged it? Nah
    Maybe proof this season has been The DD's art project and not a storytelling one?

Writer's Room:
    "You know what feels majestic and artsy?  A partially bridled horse approaching a young woman in a bombed out hellscape!"   

One person meekly protests to the idea that it should be a bunch of chickens (a sign from the Hound that the Clegane's were done bowling) but they are told to go get more coffee and bottled water for everyone.
    ken hale

"We have no king. And no queen."

"Then let's pick one. I nominate Kim Wexler. All in favor?"

"Nah, it should be McNulty."

"Somebody go get Jack!"

"How about that one chick from SVU?"

"What in the Seven Hells are you people talking about?"

"Sheldon! It should be Sheldon!"

"I knew I shouldn't have said anything about the power of stories."

After getting through this and Westworld, I'm working up a pitch for a new HBO show called "Pretty Blonde Lunatic vs Exhausted Man In Black."
    visi0nken hale
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 20
    If they had more time they should have shown Dany only destroying the Red Keep in the battle for King's Landing, on the throne actually helping small folk but summarily cleansing King's Landing of those who were "loyal to the old world" and slaughtering swathes of the kingdoms that weren't sufficiently subdued to her taste for her revolution to spread. That would have had more nuance than her rapid fall. The problem with that is that Tyrion would be long dead, so who would goad Jon Snow into being the assassin?  It would probably have have to be someone else.... 
    Giovannitelephoneofmadnessblacksunrise7
  • the surviving starks are safe now because they worked together to kill all their enemies.   Dany did indicate that she viewed the starks as her enemy.  
  • Basically, everyone got what they wanted, after Dany was killed (except Drogon).    Greyworm did not want Jon or Tyrion to be King.   Jon does not want the job, he wants to go north.  He got this.   Tyrion wants to be king, so Bran became king to basically let Tyrion run the relm.    Greyworm really wanted ships and his independence, which Bran granted to him.   

I think they could have better, more memorable scenes and dialogue to show this.  
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    CeciliaM said:
    I had a spinoff idea, guys. A podcast where Sam and  Bran sit around the mics and talk about the history of Westeros. 90+ minutes each episode. 
    Except it would be Sam doing all the talking while occasionally Bran would break in to say something like, “Wherever you go, you are there.” 
    rkcrawfGatorGirlCeciliaMhisdudeness915BloodyTacoDaveyMac
    "Sansa? Yeah, Tyrion."
    "What's up?"
    "Oh, you know, same old same old. But listen, I can use some help with Bran."
    "Go on."
    "Well, we're trying to figure out how to schedule the arrival of vital supplies, building equipment and skilled workers from Essos with the harbor only 30% functional..."
    "And...?"
    "And he just keep saying 'I don't feel time anymore' and playing with a crow feather."
    "That doesn't sound good."
    "I know, right? Maybe this wasn't such a hot idea."
    "You don't say."
    GiovanniCeciliaMken hale
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    edited May 21
    Look at the fewer number of posts for this episode, the series finale, than previous episodes. I think it shows that fans are disheartened and don’t see any point in talking about the good, the so bad, and the ugly (not you Robin) I know I don't
    telephoneofmadnessBroRad33
  •  By next week the new tell all book by Meera Reed will be out:

How I Was Forced To Drag King Bran's Ass All The Way From The North
    CeciliaM
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited May 20
    Look at the fewer number of posts for this episode, the series finale, than previous episodes. I think it shows that fans are disheartened and don’t see any point in talking about the good, the so bad, and the ugly (not you Robin) I know I doyha
    No, I’m just discussing it elsewhere with people who enjoyed it because it’s not fun debating about the episode. We get it, you (not you you) thought it sucked. Cool. It just more fun talking about what I enjoyed about the finale and reminiscing about the series as a whole .

edit: also, past threads had the benefit of discussing theories and speculating about future episodes; this one doesn't.
    Aww_PHuuCkJNoJoawookiee
  • asmallcat said:
    Man, discussing this show has just gotten exhausting. I'm glad it's over, for all our sakes. 
    Amen
  • One big WTF that irks me. Cersei promises Bron whatever riches to kill Tyrion and Jaime. Before this (and sleeping with Brianne) Jaime is at least ambivalent enough about his sister to walk away from her, to fight for the North. But after being threatened (and sleeping with Brianne) his goal is to go back to save Cersei?! His (and Tyrions) idea to save their sister ignored the fact that she was ready to kill both of them if Dany didn't succeed. And then Bron is sitting up with everyone else like his opinion matters. 
    CeciliaM
  • edited May 21
    Remember that time GoT slowly tried to morph into LotR? "There's nothing more powerful than a good story." oof...
    avcpl
  • I thought it was fine. Had there not been so many shortcuts and forcing characters and plots into positions they wanted them in for the end game in these past few seasons, then I think it would have worked like gang busters for me.

As it is, though, I just didn’t feel much during the finale, which is a bummer. Oh well.

And the scene discussing the future of Westeros and electing choosing the king felt very CliffsNotesy to me, which I guess is appropriate considering the trajectory after season 4.

Still, I think every episode of this show has great stuff in it, even the not-so-great ones.

Mad props to the cast, art direction, costuming, and all the people who put their all into trying sell it. They did a damn fine job.
    GiovanniUnderwood
  • cac0324 said:
    Whether you liked Season 8, or the finale or not.... Do you think D&D were sticking it to GRRM with the scene where Sam produces the book (presumably the entire series of) A Song of Ice and Fire?  I couldn't help but laugh that the Maesters wrote the entire series within a few weeks, when GRRM has not even been able to finish 6 books in almost 20 years. LOL.  Why include this scene? It just seemed so ironic. 
    The maester was working on the book when Sam went to the Citadel.
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    edited May 21
    I’ve problems with the writing, prioritization, and pacing of the last few seasons; but this is still excellent television and the talent and dedication of most of the folks involved in the production are awe inspiring. Much of the acting, the sets, location scouts, cinematography, makeup, costume, practical effects, CGI, etc. have been top notch.

I don’t want to let my disappointment with some of this stuff overshadow the level or art created, and I’m glad to have experienced it personally and with this community.
    majjam0770GiovanniDaveyMacUnderwoodFalcon