Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• The Bookshop with Emily Mortimer
    The tone and pacing of this film were darker and more dramatic than I expected. It was OK but not what I expected. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited May 2019
    Just got back from the Pikachu movie.  All for my 6 yr old since he rocked his hip hop dance recital and overcame his nervousness.  

Movie fucking blew man.

BUT...we watched it in ScreenX which was super cool.  My only complaint about my 1st ScreenX experience is I thought the whole movie would get the treatment but it was only maybe 40%? At first I thought, ok they go back to normal screen when the setting is tight like an apartment, but then there were some wide open majestic mountainscape scenes where they didn’t go back to ScreenX and I was like “aw come on do it here!”   But for lack of a less obvious description it was truly immersive. 
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cdrive said:
    Just got back from the Pikachu movie.  All for my 6 yr old since he rocked his hip hop dance recital and overcame his nervousness.  

Movie fucking blew man.

BUT...we watched it in ScreenX which was super cool.  My only complaint about my 1st ScreenX experience is I thought the whole movie would get the treatment but it was only maybe 40%? At first I thought, ok they go back to normal screen when the setting is tight like an apartment, but then there were some wide open majestic mountainscape scenes where they didn’t go back to ScreenX and I was like “aw come on do it here!”   
    that right there deserves a funny and insightful shout out!
    cdrive
  • Watched John Wick 3 tonight and damn what a movie. I'll keep this spoiler free but if you enjoyed the first 2, you will enjoy the new one. I went in with high expectations and it definitely surpassed my expectations. Critics aren't kidding when they say it might be the best of the series. 
    Chinaski
  • We watched "Opening Night" on "the Criterion Channel" (streaming service) last night. Gena Rowlands acted the heck of that movie but otherwise I found it pretty uneven and a little strange.
  • Game Night. Great cast. I thought it was funny. 
    awookieehisdudeness915FreddyNoel
  • Just got home from seeing the movie Tolkien and wow what a powerful movie. Seeing this gives me even more respect than I already have for that man, and I didn't think that was possible. Highly recommend to anybody that has interest in J.R.R. Tolkien.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    DaveyMac said:
    Game Night. Great cast. I thought it was funny. 
    Fat Damon makes that movie. hes so good in it. 
    hisdudeness915FreddyDaveyMacNoel
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Hatorian said:
    DaveyMac said:
    That movie might be my favorite comedy of the past decade. That scene when Annie’s trying to get the bullet out of Max’s arm cracks me every time. And Fat Damon deadpanning everyone in the entire movie is just so damn hilarious. 
    FreddyHatorianDaveyMac
  • Yeah the squeaky toy is amazing in the bullet removal scene. Had me in tears.
    hisdudeness915
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Hatorian said:
    DaveyMac said:
    That movie might be my favorite comedy of the past decade. That scene when Annie’s trying to get the bullet out of Max’s arm cracks me every time. And Fat Damon deadpanning everyone in the entire movie is just so damn hilarious. 
    One of the few movies in a long time that really was an original comedy.
    hisdudeness915
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Aladdin was a super fun time and I'm going again on Saturday. I dare anyone to see that movie and not have a good time.

Except @telephoneofmadness, because we have opposite taste.
    cdriveawookieetelephoneofmadness
    Been on a foreign language War Film streak. some really good movies. 

Unknown Soldier: Finish movie
    1944: Estonian movie
    Land of Mine: Dutch? i think. movie. 

Land of Mine was excellent and not really a war film per se. more of a drama set after WW2 ended but about the war. 
    Chinaski
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 2019
    Edit: Joke moved to the Aladdin thread.
    awookiee
  • Finally Saw Aquaman, it was pretty fun movie, DC needs more of a lighter tone, and the giant Godzilla size thing at the end was awesome, I went in thinking i wouldn't like it, so that could of affected my judgement, lately it seems if i have high expectations I don't like the Movie and if i think the movie is going to suck, then i like it more.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Rocketman.

Awesome. Fantastical. Risk taking.

Bohemian Rhapsody = Prince William
    Rocketman = Prince fucking Harry
    Freddy
  • edited May 2019
    Just got out of Brightburn and thought it was so-so at best. Relies too much on jump scares and takes too long to get into it. Watching the movie I knew the dad from some other movie but couldn't figure it out. Jumped on IMDB and realized he's both the deaf receiver, Brian, in the Keanu Reeves movie The Replacements and he's the bartender, Lance, from the movie Out Cold. 
  • Wine Country on Netflix- very bad, boring, banal, superficial, broad without being funny, I only watched it because my husband is obsessed with Rachel Dratch.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited May 2019
    Ready Player One:

Girl who is undeniably hotter than the male character is insecure and cagey online about her true appearance. Flaw is later revealed to be a faint but cool as hell birthmark.

Otherwise, who is doing what and why and the potential consequences are completely unclear. 
    Freddy
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Booksmart might be the best movie I've seen this year. Hard to believe it was Olivia Wilde's directorial debut, what a great job she did. There aren't any huge names in the movie but the entire cast did A+ work. And the 2 leads were just phenomenal in this. Have to think their stocks are on the rise. Kaitlyn Dever is one of the stars who some on this site might remember as Loretta McCready from Justified. Great to see her getting in some big name movies. Definitely recommend this one.
    JaimieTvik83h
    awookiee said:
    Just got out of Brightburn and thought it was so-so at best. Relies too much on jump scares and takes too long to get into it. Watching the movie I knew the dad from some other movie but couldn't figure it out. Jumped on IMDB and realized he's both the deaf receiver, Brian, in the Keanu Reeves movie The Replacements and he's the bartender, Lance, from the movie Out Cold. 
    And Roy from The Office.
    kuman07 said:
    awookiee said:
    And Roy from The Office.
    I lost all respect for Roy after he got bested by Dwight. 
    Freddy said:
    kuman07 said:
    awookiee said:
    And Roy from The Office.
    I lost all respect for Roy after he got bested by Dwight. 
    Dwight did him nasty, the dude went off the rails after that. became an alcoholic, got DUIs, probably got a bad coke habit. 
    Freddy
    Rocketman was a lot of fun. Great musical numbers, really good acting, and even broke my heart at times. I didn’t realize how lonely he felt a lot of the time and the rejection he felt. Glad he finally found happiness. 
  • Hidden Figures (I’m behind). It was well-executed. Some of the writing was cheesy Hollywood BS
  • I watched Loving Vincent on Hulu and it was so beautiful.

It is the story of the son of a friend of Vincent van Gogh trying to deliver a letter but instead looking into his death.

The catch is the whole movie is hand painted by 100 artists in van Gogh's style.

The story is ok-good but the painting is a joy to watch. The hand painting of water effects are unreal. In celebrating a great artist it is a work of art in itself.

If you are an art fan also check out  the outstanding documentary Tim's Vermeer

Chinaski
  • My husband and I saw the movie Yesterday today.

The basic premise is that an unsuccessful musician wakes up in the hospital after an accident to discover that somehow he's the only one who knows of The Beatles or their music. So he decides to sing their songs and pass them off as his own.

I'm a *huge* Beatles fan, so I was super excited about this movie, and was already primed to enjoy it. And I did. It was funny, and sweet - more of a RomCom than I went in expecting, but I didn't mind that.

I looked when I got home, and was surprised to see that it's not getting very good reviews. Maybe the soundtrack is so fantastic that it made me overlook what some other people didn't like? I don't know. But I do think that you'll like this movie if you're a Beatles fan!   :)
    rkcrawf
    edited July 2019
    The Beach Bum

I liked it a lot. It's definitely one I could see people hating though. I'm not even a big fan of Harmony Korine, but I appreciate that he makes weird movies.

Fair warning: this movie will make you want to quit your job and become a happy go lucky drunk.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    My husband and I saw the movie Yesterday today.

The basic premise is that an unsuccessful musician wakes up in the hospital after an accident to discover that somehow he's the only one who knows of The Beatles or their music. So he decides to sing their songs and pass them off as his own.

I'm a *huge* Beatles fan, so I was super excited about this movie, and was already primed to enjoy it. And I did. It was funny, and sweet - more of a RomCom than I went in expecting, but I didn't mind that.

I looked when I got home, and was surprised to see that it's not getting very good reviews. Maybe the soundtrack is so fantastic that it made me overlook what some other people didn't like? I don't know. But I do think that you'll like this movie if you're a Beatles fan!   :)
    I’m not a Beatles fan at all, but I love Himesh Patel, so I kinda want to see this. I love that he’s got a starring role in a mainstream movie. I also had no idea he could sing! 
    April_May_June
  • Dee said:
    I’m not a Beatles fan at all, but I love Himesh Patel, so I kinda want to see this. I love that he’s got a starring role in a mainstream movie. I also had no idea he could sing! 
    He's really good in this! Very funny, and his singing voice is amazing!
    Dee