Movies That Don’t Hold Up

What are some movies you loved 10+ years ago or as a teen that really don’t hold up. One for me is Boondock Saints. 
CretanBull

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited May 21
    Immediately coming to mind:
    Pump up the Volume. Totally loved it at 16, insufferable in a post 30 world (roughly the last time I watched it around 10 years ago).
    CretanBull
  • Travis said:
    Immediately coming to mind:
    Pump up the Volume. Totally loved it at 16, insufferable in a post 30 world (roughly the last time I watched it around 10 years ago).
    I can see that.   I loved the movie too as a teenager  (probably a large amount bc I had big celebrity crush on Christian Slater) but I know it won’t hold up on a rewatch. 

The Disney Channel did a “Radio Rebel” movie a few yrs back - was watching with my kid and it was totally a Pump up The Volume disneyfied and it really still didn’t hold up. 

Travis
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    The two that immediately come to mind for being mind-blowing as a teenager and now just kind of bad are Fight Club and Donnie Darko.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    The Lost Boys. Loved it in the 80s, but I find it unwatchable now. 
    Zoner07
  • Try watching the opening scene to the movie "Gotcha".  It involves people running around a college campus shooting paint at each other in what looks like real guns while other students just go about their normal business.
  • edited May 22
    Boondocks Saints was the first thing that came to mind before I even clicked on this topic. 

I don’t know if it was because I was in a shit mood or what, but Gladiator was on the other day and like halfway through it I just remember thinking “This movie is stupid, and Hans Zimmer totally just recycled this soundtrack for Pirates of the Caribbean.”
    gguenot
  • I don't know if I loved it, but watched The Green Mile again recently. It's like 90% about Tom Hank's dick and a mouse.

And also there's a magical black man.
    ken hale
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    American Beauty...for obvious reasons. 
    davemcbDaveyMacTulipblossom
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 22
    Dee said:
    The Lost Boys. Loved it in the 80s, but I find it unwatchable now. 
    HOW DARE YOU. :angry: 
    Deeawookiee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 22
    Honestly, as much as I still love it, Sixteen Candles would never be made in today's climate with its original script.  And it hurts my heart to say that, 'cause I have a super soft spot for all of the Molly Ringwald/Brat Pack movies from back then.  But let's be real, there's no way it'd work today.
    DeeDaveyMac
  • As Good As it Gets
    DaveyMac
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    this thread is actually making me think of movies that still hold up for me. Summer School! first movie i ever watched in the theater. shout out Mark Harmon!
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    A majority of comedies from pre 2010 wouldn’t be made today, I’m not sure that they don’t hold up but they are often dicey. Wedding Crashers is great but half the movie wouldn’t be made now, any of the major 80’s comedies never get made.

comedy is the hardest thing to age well

The early to mid 90’s tech movies are also really hard to watch at the moment The Net and Hackers just to name a few 
  • Highlander. Didn't age well. Looking forward to the remake. 
  • Ace Ventura - Thought it was hilarious as a ten-year old. Haven’t seen it in many years, but I’m sure it has aged very poorly. Even if I’m still fond of some quotes and scenes in my memory.

I agree on American Beauty mentioned above, but it turned for me well before all the stuff with Kevin Spacey. It was my favorite movie coming out of high school and into college, but somewhere in my mid-twenties it really started to feel cringey.

Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    DaveyMac said:
    Ace Ventura - Thought it was hilarious as a ten-year old. Haven’t seen it in many years, but I’m sure it has aged very poorly. Even if I’m still fond of some quotes and scenes in my memory.

I agree on American Beauty mentioned above, but it turned for me well before all the stuff with Kevin Spacey. It was my favorite movie coming out of high school and into college, but somewhere in my mid-twenties it really started to feel cringey.

(Talking from my ass) “how dare you say Ace Ventura doesn’t hold up!” 
    gguenotJimDaveyMacawookiee
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Woody Allen's Manhattan makes for particularly uncomfortable viewing these days.
    DaveyMac
  • I don't know if I loved it, but watched The Green Mile again recently. It's like 90% about Tom Hank's dick and a mouse.

Can't go along with this one
  • Repo Men isn’t a great movie to begin with but I used to think the hallway fight scene was really cool. After shows like Daredevil and other shows with a lot better hallway fight scenes, Repo Men’s falls pretty flat
    CretanBull
  • nstinson said:
    I don't know if I loved it, but watched The Green Mile again recently. It's like 90% about Tom Hank's dick and a mouse.

Can't go along with this one
    Image result for tom hanks green mile face