806 - The Iron Throne

Comments

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    You feel bummed out that they didn't like it? Fine. People start calling them cunts, saying that they are just critics who risk nothing (they risk more on this podcast than anyone involved in creating game of thrones), or trying to dismiss their view as some psychological disturbance? Not fine.
    I'll take "Things that aren't actually happening here" for $800, Joe.
    xulsolar22awookiee
  • You feel bummed out that they didn't like it? Fine. People start calling them cunts, saying that they are just critics who risk nothing (they risk more on this podcast than anyone involved in creating game of thrones), or trying to dismiss their view as some psychological disturbance? Not fine.
    "A. Ron really turned into a C U next Tuesday"
    " Criticism is like a lamprey.  "
    Not to be armchair psychologist but I think many critics are going through a big deal having to process that their host creator is now gone."

All these things have been said in the last couple of pages. 

GiovanniBloodyTaco
  • Schlupp said:
    My new rule is: don't watch any show beyond season 1 unless the creators have set a limit of 3 seasons, or the entire show has already been released and reviewed. I wasted years caring about The Walking Dead. I wasted years caring about Game of Thrones. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again.
    The expanse is really good, consistently good writing and author failsaves and everything. The creators had 3 seasons on sifi and now it's a reboot on amazon, so within your own rules you could watch 4 seasons without beeing fooled. :-)

I watch The Expanse. I think it's... okay. I'm not invested in it.
    Man, I really wanted to get into the Expanse after hearing all the praise. But after watching the first season I couldn't think of a character that I cared about.  Don't know why that is. I was immediate taken with so many of the characters in Thrones...
    telephoneofmadness
  • chrisk said:
    I think the complaints about the North being independent and nobody else are a bit overblown...

Theres a a lot of benefit to being part of the Six or Seven Kingdoms. Trade, currency, travel, etc... It’s the same reason countries have joined the EU today.

...Sansa’s the only one we know of who’s been making noise about leaving.

Ya, this is one of many gaps in the last few seasons that it's possible to imagine a rationalization for, but NONE OF THAT is depicted on screen. There are many arguments or and counter-arguments they could get into, but no one even acknowledges it as an issue.

I understand that some people don't care about any of this and just want to see their favourite characters power up and do cool shit, but many of us were drawn to the series by the promise that it was going to depict am expansive, immersive, rationally consistent world.
    ken haleScottTenormanGiovanni
  • walktheskywalkthesky New York
    Mthomp32 said:
    I doubt the show would have generated nearly the audience and critical acclaim it had had it started off with the quality of the last few seasons. Disappointing people is a tough thing, the D&D’s cut short the end on purpose. I don’t know why they apparently don’t have the sense of ownership for Game of Thrones that the Villigang have for the Breaking Bad world.   I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to think you could’ve found people to do the last few seasons better. 

Dividing the blame between GRRM and he D&Ds is purely academic. It’s the end product that matters. 

Have you considered the idea that the fandom is actually honest? That there’s actually a significant quality drop off that people are legitimately complaining about?  Look at Mr. Robot for example, the 2nd season was crapped on but I’m pretty sure the overwhelming majority of fans have climbed back on board after Season 3. The opposite has been happening with GoT 
    Mthomp32 said:
    A ron sounds so sad/angry in this final episode. I genuinely feel bummed listening to it. 

I’ve noticed those who are really invested in the series (a lot of podcasters and journalists who comment and critique on the show) are totally outside of themselves. Everyone I’ve spoken to about this season (IRL) loves it and felt the conclusion was pretty fitting given that there is absolutely zero source material - meaning the story is inevitably less complex and truncated. But those people don’t geek out as much as me and listen to podcasts etc. I think the a rons and Dave Chen’s and Mallory rubins of the world have lost sight of two things:

1) it’s not you’re show. Might sound harsh but this show doesn’t belong to the fans. All of the creative decisions that you’re all lambasting were made with the intention to create the best thing they could (Also *they have no books*). Every critique I’ve heard is essentially around how said commentator would have set it up better...than the creators...as Sophie turner said in her ET interview this week: that is disrespectful (and honestly kind of delusional).  

2) you - the thought leaders in this community - have an outsized impact on the general conversation online. So it’s a bit of a viscous cycle. Joanna Robinson writes 6 articles that come out 30 seconds after the show ends about how the show runners fucked up and then records 3 podcasts about how everyone thinks they fucked up? That’s a bit crazy making as a listened.  

Ultimately, it used to be really fun to hear you all dissect and critique the show (talk about what you liked and didn’t like) but it’s become suuuuper depressing since the show ran past the books. 

I want to state that this ending is pretty gorgeous IMO and the breaks in logic and storytelling are easy to forgive for me because (as George stated last week) the creators are missing approximately 3,000 pages of story. 

That’s a really fair point. I believe the fandom is honest - I feel for the folks who are really sad/disappointed about the ending of the show. I guess I’m just surprised that such devoted fans seemingly overlook the impossible odds that the creators were up against. That said, I don’t think anyone is wrong for hating this ending. It’s just a huge bummer to read/listen to. 

Also: I think it’s totally fair to hate the end of the series but kind of weird to suggest that anyone knew a better way. There has never been a story that’s been told like this (I actually don’t think Lost, breaking bad, or any original series is actually comparable other than that fact that they were on tv and they were wildly popular).  The closest comparison I can think of is true blood and when they changed show runners the show became a complete joke. In hindsight it’s easy to say they could have done it differently but 3+ years ago when the we’re making decisions about how to finish the series they didn’t have all the info we have today. It just seems really cheap and easy to say f u to the DDs after all is said and done and I feel like that part of the post-show discourse is unproductive and just really a bummer. 
    In the end it’s one side trying to convince the other side to join them.  
    edited May 2019
    You feel bummed out that they didn't like it? Fine. People start calling them cunts, saying that they are just critics who risk nothing (they risk more on this podcast than anyone involved in creating game of thrones), or trying to dismiss their view as some psychological disturbance? Not fine.
    Not to be armchair psychologist but I think many critics are going through a big deal having to process that their host creator is now gone."

I'm really focusing in on the idea of anyone calling them "cunts" or anyone saying that they are critics who risk nothing, since I'm not even sure what the "psychological disturbance" part means.

Those examples you listed don't really play into anything you listed as things that are "not fine." Also, and again I have no idea if this is what you mean by the psychological part, but to pretend that critics aren't humans who have all of the same psychological pitfalls as every other human that paints their opinions, both positively or negatively, that's just not facing the reality of both fandom and criticism. Critics aren't robots, and many (especially TV show podcasters) are just as emotionally invested in the material as the fans are.
  • You feel bummed out that they didn't like it? Fine. People start calling them cunts, saying that they are just critics who risk nothing (they risk more on this podcast than anyone involved in creating game of thrones), or trying to dismiss their view as some psychological disturbance? Not fine.

I'm really focusing in on the idea of anyone calling them "cunts" or anyone saying that they are critics who risk nothing, since I'm not even sure what the "psychological disturbance" part means.

Those examples you listed don't really play into anything you listed as things that are "not fine." Also, and again I have no idea if this is what you mean by the psychological part, but to pretend that critics aren't humans who have all of the same psychological pitfalls as every other human that paints their opinions, both positively or negatively, that's just not facing the reality of both fandom and criticism. Critics aren't robots, and many (especially TV show podcasters) are just as emotionally invested in the material as the fans are.
    What do you think "c u next Tuesday" refers to? Do you know what a lamprey is? Did you read the quote that was posted last page?
    alexander.klassenBloodyTaco
  • edited May 2019
    I don't understand the weird reverence for everyone who worked on the show. Ya, lots of people worked hard and did great work. They didn't do it for free, and having GoT on their resume will be a huge boon to their careers. Why is criticism of the end product some kind of affront to them? Is it an affront to the hard working people at Walmart or AT&T to criticise their products? This is the same kind of logic as saying that any criticism of American foreign policy is like spitting in the faces of the troops.
    ken haletelephoneofmadnessmajjam0770blacksunrise7Giovanni
    edited May 2019
    Oh, wow, I honestly didn't read that CU Next Tuesday like that. I just thought it was a reference to A.Ron mailing it in until next Tuesday (when they do the weekly GOT podcast) because he's so bummed about having to shit on the show. That went over my head, because I just assume someone would use the word "cunt" instead of that. But yes, I know what lamprey means in this context.

I still don't think that most people are being unfairly critical to the the point of generally calling the critics of critics "children." Just address the person who you very obviously have a specific issue with. 

Although I don't have an issue with him, I quote @ken hale directly all of the time in response to him. It's fine.
    xulsolar22awookiee
  • I take it personally every time and consider it a compliment to be on your mind @All the Chickens :)
    All the Chickensawookiee
    Guess which cover everyone will buy and which one will be left on the shelves?

SanguinePenguinblacksunrise7ken hale
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    zruiz7 said:
    A. Ron really turned into a C U next Tuesday. It particularly happened with the last few episodes. I used to love listening every week. You could tell that Jim was just going along with every complaint, even when he disagreed. I still love you A. Ron, but it was just difficult to listen when 98% of your sentences are complaints. Of course this season was horribly written, but you do not have to displace your displeasure at the expense of the audience. I will continue to follow and listen to your material, but I just hope you change your overall tone. Good luck boys!
    As you’ve only just joined the forum, I’d advise you to read the rules before commenting again. Please do not make personal attacks on anyone. - including the hosts. Expressing your disagreement civilly is fine. Calling someone a cunt is definitely not.
    majjam0770SanguinePenguinBloodyTacoBenawookiee
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    chrisk said:
    I think the complaints about the North being independent and nobody else are a bit overblown...

Theres a a lot of benefit to being part of the Six or Seven Kingdoms. Trade, currency, travel, etc... It’s the same reason countries have joined the EU today.

...Sansa’s the only one we know of who’s been making noise about leaving.

Ya, this is one of many gaps in the last few seasons that it's possible to imagine a rationalization for, but NONE OF THAT is depicted on screen. There are many arguments or and counter-arguments they could get into, but no one even acknowledges it as an issue.

I understand that some people don't care about any of this and just want to see their favourite characters power up and do cool shit, but many of us were drawn to the series by the promise that it was going to depict am expansive, immersive, rationally consistent world.
    The problem is I see any clear, expressed reason why these kingdoms would want to be independent, so for me them going along with the Six Kingdoms and Northern independence isn't even an issue. The North has been independent in the past, in the recent past, and it's been a spoken concern of Sansa's. For everyone else, my assumption is they're fine being affiliated.

The Iron Islands might make sense, if you think an independent pirate society makes any sense in this world. Or you think they have a leg to stand on, which I don't. Dorne is the other one I've heard - their "unbowed, unbent, unbroken" motto hasn't kept them out of the Seven Kingdoms before and their main quarrel was with the Lannisters so I don't see any reason the kid who's left would be itching to leave either.
  • Doesn’t this all really come down to some folks saying that it was rushed and so it was disappointing and made them sad and diminished their love of the property, and other folks agreeing that it was rushed but also arguing that it was good enough for them to still love the property?

I don’t think that there are many folks who are arguing that more time spent bringing the plot to a close wouldn’t have been a good thing. And I think the technical achievements and stunning visuals are largely praised by all (absent the Ep 3 muddiness).

I think we all have a lot more in common than not. It’s the subjective stuff that people are experiencing differently.
    alexander.klassenblacksunrise7ken haleGiovanniDaveyMacawookieeBroRad33
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 2019
    I think it's pretty unrealistic for people to be upset with the critics when a beloved show ends in the midst of an ongoing quality decline added on to what certainly appears to be the producers trying to end it ASAP. The Sopranos and Mad Men didn't seem to have nearly these issues even with controversial endings.

And please don't try the argument that D&D were just petrified that everyone would be angry about filler as the reason that they wanted to end the show quickly, there was plenty of stuff that needed to be discussed....
    Giovanni
    edited May 2019
    My main issue with this independent North vs. being part of the Seven Kingdoms is that I don't understand the actual, realistic stakes outside of having to symbolically kneel to someone you might not ever see again after you kneel to them (Robert and Ned didn't see each other for 17 years after Robert took the throne and Ned went back home).

-The show has NEVER delved into information on the kingdoms paying taxes to the crown. I'm not sure it's ever been mentioned once, and we've never been given evidence that there is a regular stream of wagons with gold or goods going to or from the North and KL.

-As far as trade goes, I imagine they are all still free to trade with other kingdoms on the same continent. The Reach sends food to Kings Landing to help their densely populated capital not starve, and Dorne evidently sends wine. I have no idea if these kingdoms are compensated with gold or traded any goods for sending their goods to the Capital, because they've never mentioned it. The crown has always acted like The Reach was just doing them a favor by providing food.

-There is no royal army, which they made clear back in season 1 when Joffrey was being school by Cersei on the facts and he stupidly talked about creating a royal army with troops from each kingdom.

In the 300 years since Aegon united the Seven Kingdoms under one rule, nothing has really changed. The Kingdoms all still stayed to themselves, while trading with each other. And they still had wars with each other like they did before.

What difference does any of it make outside of fans being able to "YAASSSS QUEEN" Sansa when she becomes Queen of the North? This isn't a late season issue either for the people who like to idealize the early seasons. This has always been a question to me since season 1.
    SanguinePenguinalexander.klassenken hale
    LordBy said:
    Doesn’t this all really come down to some folks saying that it was rushed and so it was disappointing and made them sad and diminished their love of the property, and other folks agreeing that it was rushed but also arguing that it was good enough for them to still love the property?

That's pretty much how I see it.
    SanguinePenguin

• What difference does any of it make outside of fans being able to "YAASSSS QUEEN" Sansa when she becomes Queen of the North? This isn't a late season issue either for the people who like to idealize the early seasons. This has always been a question to me since season 1.
    I really would have wanted to see what decision Sansa would have made if she was in the same position as her Stark ancestor and be another "Stark that knelt". 

I guess she'll have to choose eventually since Drogon took Dany to a red priestess to be resurrected and will be back with a vengeance! 
    telephoneofmadnessblacksunrise7
  • They might have worked "so hard on it", but I'm not sure some of the the most important people were giving it 100% anymore.  

cdrive said:

Right before I started the podcast I read on twitter about Sophie Turner saying:

"All of these petitions and things like that — I think it's disrespectful to the crew, and the writers, and the filmmakers who have worked tirelessly over 10 years, and for 11 months shooting the last season," she said. "Like 50-something night shoots. So many people worked so, so hard on it, and for people to just rubbish it because it's not what they want to see is just disrespectful."

Then I went into the podcast thinking 'oh great watch how me reading that right before jumping in is going to shade my enjoyment of the podcast.'  

Giovanniblacksunrise7
  • avcpl said:

I guess she'll have to choose eventually since Drogon took Dany to a red priestess to be resurrected and will be back with a vengeance! 
    Yep, what's Kinvara up to these days?
    avcpl
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited May 2019
    I, for one, really appreciate the guys, their point of view, and the fact that they treat their listeners honestly, giving their sincere opinion. If what i was getting was some focus group tested lukewarm opinion set to appease the child like listeners who take anything other than unqualified enthusiasm as a personal affront i wouldn't be a member.
    I don't think it's fair at all to paint people in that light. The "child like" people who feel this way are mostly saying that some of the criticism felt like nitpicking and was somewhat nonsensical, not that they are just unhappy with general negative criticism.
    He has a fair point though because I am pretty "child like."  The invoking of Trump was a little like "whoah chill" though.  Is there some Trump version for Godwin's Law?  

Is it too late to edit my post and add "don't @ me" ?

I should have said remora not lamprey I guess also.  A symbiotic relationship with mutualism.  Just like the critic and the artist is a symbiotic relationship.  I thought I tried to argue the critic is in a way an artist too, but the critic-artist's medium is art.  And it's understandably emotional if you swipe your paint brush across the favorite part of your paint palette and there is nothing there anymore.  

I don't know - don't take me so seriously. I didn't mean to offend.  I'm a BM super fan / supporter too. I challenge anyone who thinks they're a bigger fan to a dance off.   

Switching to a lighter topic, when I re-watched Drogon pick up Dany with his dragon "hand".....is that still sitting right with people?  It makes me want to see someone on YouTube re-shoot it but as a Sweded version with a muppet dragon arm scraping a barbie doll out of frame in a clunky, shaky way.  I'd share that.  There just needs to be a lot of Sweded versions of GoT scenes on YT now that the show is over.  
    SanguinePenguinken hale
  • The single stupidest moment in the episode was Tyrion telling Greyworm "hey, if we - your enemies-  choose a king on the spot you have to recognize him" and Greyworm, for no reason whatsoever, rolling with it. Why? Why not kill Jon?
    Because the rest of the kingdoms would unite against the remaining Unsullied foreigners and kill them all. They have no money, no food, no external support, etc.

• Why on earth do people (namely, podcasters) keep saying that Jaime had sex with Brienne 1 night (or 1 time)? They were shacking up for at least a couple of weeks. They had sex the night after the battle was over on celebration night, then the next day or two Jon and Dany's crew departed from Winterfell. 

Sansa gets a raven after an undisclosed amount of time later saying that Rhaegal and Missandei had been killed, but that would have been at least a week or probably a couple of weeks after Dany and her crew had departed from Winterfell. We find Jaime still shacking up with Brienne the night after Sansa tells him about about Cersei killing Rhaegal and executing  Missandei, so you have to imagine they slept together in that room each of those nights during that couple of weeks after they first hooked up.

Bc it fits into a narrative of what they saw on-screen is the only thing that happened.
  • Giovanni said:
    Mthomp32 said:
    I doubt the show would have generated nearly the audience and critical acclaim it had had it started off with the quality of the last few seasons. Disappointing people is a tough thing, the D&D’s cut short the end on purpose. I don’t know why they apparently don’t have the sense of ownership for Game of Thrones that the Villigang have for the Breaking Bad world.   I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to think you could’ve found people to do the last few seasons better. 

Dividing the blame between GRRM and he D&Ds is purely academic. It’s the end product that matters. 

Have you considered the idea that the fandom is actually honest? That there’s actually a significant quality drop off that people are legitimately complaining about?  Look at Mr. Robot for example, the 2nd season was crapped on but I’m pretty sure the overwhelming majority of fans have climbed back on board after Season 3. The opposite has been happening with GoT 
    Mthomp32 said:
    A ron sounds so sad/angry in this final episode. I genuinely feel bummed listening to it. 

I’ve noticed those who are really invested in the series (a lot of podcasters and journalists who comment and critique on the show) are totally outside of themselves. Everyone I’ve spoken to about this season (IRL) loves it and felt the conclusion was pretty fitting given that there is absolutely zero source material - meaning the story is inevitably less complex and truncated. But those people don’t geek out as much as me and listen to podcasts etc. I think the a rons and Dave Chen’s and Mallory rubins of the world have lost sight of two things:

1) it’s not you’re show. Might sound harsh but this show doesn’t belong to the fans. All of the creative decisions that you’re all lambasting were made with the intention to create the best thing they could (Also *they have no books*). Every critique I’ve heard is essentially around how said commentator would have set it up better...than the creators...as Sophie turner said in her ET interview this week: that is disrespectful (and honestly kind of delusional).  

2) you - the thought leaders in this community - have an outsized impact on the general conversation online. So it’s a bit of a viscous cycle. Joanna Robinson writes 6 articles that come out 30 seconds after the show ends about how the show runners fucked up and then records 3 podcasts about how everyone thinks they fucked up? That’s a bit crazy making as a listened.  

Ultimately, it used to be really fun to hear you all dissect and critique the show (talk about what you liked and didn’t like) but it’s become suuuuper depressing since the show ran past the books. 

I want to state that this ending is pretty gorgeous IMO and the breaks in logic and storytelling are easy to forgive for me because (as George stated last week) the creators are missing approximately 3,000 pages of story. 

That’s a really fair point. I believe the fandom is honest - I feel for the folks who are really sad/disappointed about the ending of the show. I guess I’m just surprised that such devoted fans seemingly overlook the impossible odds that the creators were up against. That said, I don’t think anyone is wrong for hating this ending. It’s just a huge bummer to read/listen to. 

Also: I think it’s totally fair to hate the end of the series but kind of weird to suggest that anyone knew a better way. There has never been a story that’s been told like this (I actually don’t think Lost, breaking bad, or any original series is actually comparable other than that fact that they were on tv and they were wildly popular).  The closest comparison I can think of is true blood and when they changed show runners the show became a complete joke. In hindsight it’s easy to say they could have done it differently but 3+ years ago when the we’re making decisions about how to finish the series they didn’t have all the info we have today. It just seems really cheap and easy to say f u to the DDs after all is said and done and I feel like that part of the post-show discourse is unproductive and just really a bummer. 
    This isn't rocket science. It's a perfectly valid complaint to say the least two seasons were rushed. Alot of people knew a better way: do a 10 episode season 7 and 10 episode season 8. Give the characters more time to breath. The only people who didn't want to do this were the show runners. HBO wanted more GOT, viewers wanted more GOT, the media wanted more GOT, and our favorite characters who we've been following for 8 years NEEDED more GOT.

The last two seasons focused far too much on action and far too little on all the things that made the show popular in the first place. Instead of paying attention to the details and trying for an A+ the show runners turned in what they had and decided it was good enough.

If you disagree that's fine, but I think I have a right to criticize a series I've talked about, followed diligently, and loved for over 20 years.
    I think its fine to criticize a series and I agree that the last season was rushed. I can agree that the writing has dropped off since the books ran out. However, I think what we're seeing is a bit of an echo/amplification chamber that has lasted for 2.5 years. Even this season, the nitpicking started with E1, and kinda builds based on the same root cause complaint (the writing feels rushed). 

So to a degree, it feels like the people that dislike the show have been making the same complaint for weeks, months, years. :) It kept escalating, as people stopped believing the "reality." It also puts people who are +50% positive about the show in the position of hearing the same complaint over and over, with limited group enjoyment over the good parts of the show. Yes, most people would have preferred two more episodes. It doesn't need to be repeated ad infinitum. There are other facets of the show worth talking about.
    awookiee
  • mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    I think it's pretty cool that they made Bran into the God Emperor from Dune.  After Children of Dune, he binds himself to sand trout and becomes an actual sandworm hybrid with immortality and prescience that holds the universe in a stranglehold while adhering to his "Golden Path."  We've now seen Bran spend multiple seasons manipulating events to arrive at the iron throne, I suspect the next series would be about his own golden path and how the people unknowingly enact it.
    ken hale
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    If only I had a dragon you would all think like me! You’d be too afraid not to bawahahaha 
  • mtron32 said:
    I think it's pretty cool that they made Bran into the God Emperor from Dune.  After Children of Dune, he binds himself to sand trout and becomes an actual sandworm hybrid with immortality and prescience that holds the universe in a stranglehold while adhering to his "Golden Path."  We've now seen Bran spend multiple seasons manipulating events to arrive at the iron throne, I suspect the next series would be about his own golden path and how the people unknowingly enact it.
    Who is his Duncan Idaho?

[Note that Khal Drogo himself will be playing Duncan Idaho in the upcoming movie]
    SanguinePenguin
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Inside the HBO pitch meeting for this season with writers and head guy. 

https://youtu.be/jAhKOV3nImQ
    telephoneofmadnessjohnnytruantCapeGabeken haleGiovanni
    edited May 2019
    rkcrawf said:

Why on earth do people (namely, podcasters) keep saying that Jaime had sex with Brienne 1 night (or 1 time)? They were shacking up for at least a couple of weeks. They had sex the night after the battle was over on celebration night, then the next day or two Jon and Dany's crew departed from Winterfell. 

Sansa gets a raven after an undisclosed amount of time later saying that Rhaegal and Missandei had been killed, but that would have been at least a week or probably a couple of weeks after Dany and her crew had departed from Winterfell. We find Jaime still shacking up with Brienne the night after Sansa tells him about about Cersei killing Rhaegal and executing  Missandei, so you have to imagine they slept together in that room each of those nights during that couple of weeks after they first hooked up.

Bc it fits into a narrative of what they saw on-screen is the only thing that happened.
    You actually saw 2 separate nights of them sleeping together on screen. So even by that narrative of what was shown, it's still an incorrect description.

Also, surely we don't need text box that says "15 Days Later" flash onto a screen in order to assume some passage of time. It's just common sense.