NBA 2018-2019 Thread

Comments

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    ^And all of the lakes in LA, right? :)

Chinaski
    edited May 29
    I hated the Raptors name and logo when it came out.  As a hockey fan who still hates the Mighty Ducks because of it's stupid Disney tie-in, essentially naming our team after the Jurasic Park movies made me feel like we were the Mighty Ducks of the NBA.

I still don't like it, but I've grown to ignore it.  Everyone calls them the Raps anyway so it's all good I guess. 
    Chinaskibizmarkiefader
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I was 15 during the Raps inaugural season, and attended their first ever preseason game against the 76ers, in Halifax.  The name has never bothered me, never paid attention to it.

I do miss having a team in Vancouver though.  Even if another one came to Vancouver, they wouldn't be expansion cousins.  I remember them paying Saturday afternoons on CTV for Canadian bragging rights, like they were trying to create a rivalry, but both teams were far too terrible for it to really matter.
    ChinaskiCretanBullNoel
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
     Tonight!!!! This has been taking forever to get here
    CretanBull
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited May 30
    i totally forgot Dell finished his career in Toronto. this is a good read:

edit: can't read if you're not a member of The Athletic. that yahoo read is good too.
    CretanBull
    Chinaski said:
    i totally forgot Dell finished his career in Toronto. this is a good read:

edit: can't read if you're not a member of The Athletic. that yahoo read is good too.
    You didn't realize that the reason Steph is so good is because of his training in the Canadian school system?  Geez, next thing you know you'll be telling me that our schools played no part in Tom Cruise becoming the biggest actor in the world!  
    Chinaski
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Hey @CretanBull are you doing anything special for the Finals? Watch party etc. Or keeping it simple?
    Noel said:
    Hey @CretanBull are you doing anything special for the Finals? Watch party etc. Or keeping it simple?
    Tonight I'll be at home because I have some work to do while I watch the game.  On Sunday, I hope to be at the game! A good friend of mine has a pair of tickets and as of right now his wife can't get the time off work...if she can't, the ticket is mine!
    NoelDummybizmarkiefader
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Noel said:
    Tonight I'll be at home because I have some work to do while I watch the game.  On Sunday, I hope to be at the game! A good friend of mine has a pair of tickets and as of right now his wife can't get the time off work...if she can't, the ticket is mine!
    Man I really hope you get to go! I was fortunate enough to go to the WCF back in ‘11 and it was such a fun experience. Can’t imagine how cool the Finals would be.
    CretanBull
    9pm tip off for you guys. always trips me out how late some start times are for east coasters to cater to us west coasters. on a good note, it will give the fans plenty of time to 'pre-game' so Jurassic Park will be bonkers. i assume they're already having a good time. great fan base i hafta say.
    CretanBull
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    9pm tip off for you guys. always trips me out how late some start times are for east coasters to cater to us west coasters. on a good note, it will give the fans plenty of time to 'pre-game' so Jurassic Park will be bonkers. i assume they're already having a good time. great fan base i hafta say.
    Reminds me of that first Monday night with the NFL. The fans have been drinking for five hours before kickoff of the second MNF game. Crowds are extra lit and it’s the best.
    ChinaskiCretanBull
    Noel said:
    Chinaski said:
    Reminds me of that first Monday night with the NFL. The fans have been drinking for five hours before kickoff of the second MNF game. Crowds are extra lit and it’s the best.
    When people do bus tours from Toronto to Buffalo for Bills games its crazy!  The buses are usually organized by a bar and the bus is loaded with beer...then they get to Bills game in time for the tailgate party.

Noel
    Noel said:
    Noel said:
    Man I really hope you get to go! I was fortunate enough to go to the WCF back in ‘11 and it was such a fun experience. Can’t imagine how cool the Finals would be.
    When I was a kid (1989) I saw a deciding game of Stanley Cup finals...Montreal vs Calgary, in Montreal (and I'm a Montreal fan!).  Unfortunately, Calgary won...but I did get to see the Cup presentation, that was cool but wished it was being given to Montreal haha!

Noel
    Chinaski said:
    Among most young people here, basketball is at least as popular as hockey...it might even be more popular.  Toronto is one of the most ethnically diverse cites in the world, but hockey is still pretty white.  The immigrant population have gravitated more towards basketball.

And we have Nav.  Nav is a legend!

HatorianNoelDummyChinaski
    10 Minutes to game time....Let's do this Toronto!

• Oh lord. Paul Pierce just took Raptors in 6. Why does he hate the city of Toronto? 
    ChinaskiCretanBullNoel
    Dummy said:
    Oh lord. Paul Pierce just took Raptors in 6. Why does he hate the city of Toronto? 
    haha i just read this today, funny.

DummyCretanBull
    between this first half and taking a gummy that was stronger than i initially thought, i be like..

Image result for melting funny weed gif
    CretanBullDummyNoel
    and Drake is wearing an arm sweat band :D
    Chinaski said:
    Drake is trolling Steph by wearing a Dell Curry Raps jersey  :D
    Chinaski
    Kardi brought us luck in the first half, here's to the second!

Chinaski said:
    Drake is trolling Steph by wearing a Dell Curry Raps jersey  :D
    i saw that. first i was like 'who the f was #30?' then google told me and i was like 'ohhhhhh.... well play Degrassi.. well played..'
    CretanBull
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Man. I remember back in my middle school days I had a Damon Stoudemire Raptors Jersey. Loved that jersey. Really hope the Raptors pull the upset. 
    CretanBull
    that was a fun game. great D Raps. on to the next one!
    CretanBull
    BOOM!
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Damn, what a game from Siakam. Did y’all see that bit of Drake talking shit to Draymond? Loved it.
    CretanBull
    Noel said:
    Did y’all see that bit of Drake talking shit to Draymond? Loved it.
    it's ok. we got a secret weapon when they come back to Oakland. dun! dun! dun!

Related image
    CretanBullNoelCeciliaM
    Chinaski said:
    Noel said:
    Did y’all see that bit of Drake talking shit to Draymond? Loved it.
    it's ok. we got a secret weapon when they come back to Oakland. dun! dun! dun!

Related image
    If the NBA finals were determined by figuring out which team had a fan who could finish runner up in a "Singer from Smash Mouth Look-a-Like" contest the series would be over :)
  • Noel said:
    Noel said:
    When I was a kid (1989) I saw a deciding game of Stanley Cup finals...Montreal vs Calgary, in Montreal (and I'm a Montreal fan!).  Unfortunately, Calgary won...but I did get to see the Cup presentation, that was cool but wished it was being given to Montreal haha!

Kind of off topic in the NBA thread, but please don't tell me you were one of those people who were calling the police on Chara's hit on Pacioretty some years back, :).  Just seemed a little too overboard on that,  But hopefully you're from the Montreal area and just living in Toronto now, otherwise a Canadiens fan growing up in Leafs country seems a little out of place.

As for the game, out of the 2 teams, Toronto needed that one tonight to start the series off on the right foot.  Should be interesting going into game 2, no KD, and Iggy is hurting, the Warriors could be vulnerable.  Almost makes you wonder if the Warriors had home court, would the outcome last night have changed.  But clearly last night was a game where the Warriors missed KD.  While I still think the Warriors are capable of winning the title without KD playing at all, it just goes back to his decision to sign with them when all of the NBA just threw their hands up and were like "really?!?!".

Noel said:
    Noel said:

Kind of off topic in the NBA thread, but please don't tell me you were one of those people who were calling the police on Chara's hit on Pacioretty some years back, :).  Just seemed a little too overboard on that,  But hopefully you're from the Montreal area and just living in Toronto now, otherwise a Canadiens fan growing up in Leafs country seems a little out of place.

As for the game, out of the 2 teams, Toronto needed that one tonight to start the series off on the right foot.  Should be interesting going into game 2, no KD, and Iggy is hurting, the Warriors could be vulnerable.  Almost makes you wonder if the Warriors had home court, would the outcome last night have changed.  But clearly last night was a game where the Warriors missed KD.  While I still think the Warriors are capable of winning the title without KD playing at all, it just goes back to his decision to sign with them when all of the NBA just threw their hands up and were like "really?!?!".

Re: Pacioretty/Chara/911 - that was a stunt orchestrated by a local radio station.   I am originally from Montreal and grew up a Habs fan watching players like Guy LaFleur, Larry Robinson, Bob Gainey etc.  I ended up living in Toronto, but I fell in love with the Canadiens as a kid and can't turn my back on them :)

I don't want to jinx the Raps, but I made a prediction about the first 4 games of the series and that prediction started with Toronto winning game 1.  I know this will sound crazy, but I don't think that KD would have made that much of a difference - their record without him is actually better than their record with him.  Toronto has a great defensive scheme and some incredible one on one defenders and the Warriors had been sitting for 9 days.  Michael in his prime could have been on that team and I was still picking Toronto for game 1.  I think that we'll see a much different Warriors team in game 2.  I hope that they keep thinking that if they shut down Kawhi that they shut down our team, but I think Kerr is too smart for that and he realizes his mistake now...every time the help defender went to Kawhi, Pascal scored.
    bizmarkiefader